• Welcome to the Angry Joe Show Army!

Join our community of gamers passionate about our community and our hobby! Whether it's playing, discussing, or watching games, regardless of platform, genre, or location, we have a place for you, always!

• PS4 Forum

The AJSA Playstation 4 Division: Game Nights and More!

The AJSA is on Playstation 4! Join us for weekly Game Nights with a selection of the best games the PS4 has to offer!

• XBO Forum

The AJSA Xbox One Division: We Got You Covered!

The AJSA Xbox One Division is ready to connect with you on XBox Live with a ton of events for the best Xbox games!

• News Archive

The Best News from the Best Sites, Every Week.

The AJSA News Collection Team is hard at work condensing a week's worth of news into one giant-sze digest for you to chew on and discuss! Links to source articles are always provided!

• More Info

The AJSA Expeditionary Force: Deploying to Play the Best PC Games!

The elite vanguard of the AJSA, the Expeditionary Force (EF) chooses a new PC game every week! Join us for weekly events and help decide if the game has a future in the AJSA.

• The Team

Streaming Now: The AJSA Stream Team

Joe can't stream every game, but our talented AJSA Stream Team covers a wide variety of games and personalities! Check them out, and show them some AJSA Love!

• The Tube

The AJSA Community YouTube Channel

Featuring news, gameplay clips, and more from the community! The Community is a chance to showcase the best moments in AJSA Gaming!

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Kaz32

Shadow of Mordor review. Assassin's Creed + Batman Arkham + Death Note = just as planned.

10 posts in this topic

Finally finished this epic game. Here is my thought on it.

Middle-Earth-Shadow-Of-Mordor-2014-Game.

In this game you play as British Troy Baker, or Talion. He's a ranger of Gondor who just died after witnessing his whole family murdered in front of him via neck slicing. The neck slice looks so easy though, not like a real neck slice where it's quick. Here it's like one of those times when you put a knife gently to a butter without really going deep into it. But hey, I'm no surgeon so in real life the neck might be sliced that easily.

Ahem anyway, Talion died, but he's revived by this wraith that you'll learn more about in the game. Let's just say he's a very important character to the entire history of the Lord of the Ring as a whole. After that, the awesome adventure of the game begins. Interestingly, Smeagol/ Gollum is in the game, but is not voiced by Andy Serkis. Instead he's voiced by Liam o Brien, the same guy that voices Asura from Asura's Wrath, War from Darksiders, and Archer from Fate/ Stay Night. And he sounds exactly like Gollum. Dayum, that's impressive.

Right of the bat after the tutorial, you start by dropping down a tall tower Assassin's Creed style. Only here there's no hays, you can just jump straight down and not take damage. Badass. Then the combat begins, and this is where things gets exciting. Basically the game is a mix of Batman Arkham games and Assassin's Creed, but more Arkham. Anyone who played those games before like I have will immediately master the control in this game.

There's some variations here though. For one, the ground takedown this time is a lot faster, and you can change into a counter attack when enemies attack you unlike in Batman where you're stuck in the takedown animation. The cape stun combo where you stun an enemy and beat the crap out of him is here too, but the finishing blow can be interrupted by enemy attacks. The special takedown where you can instantly do an instant kill to an enemy is also here, but you can do it into a dazed enemy as well.

There's new moves to the game, and that's the last stand attack and grabbing enemies. If your life drops to zero, you'll have a chance for a second wind by counter attacking enemies at the last minute by moving a cursor to a circle and press a button. You can do this 2 times in a battle, the third will kill you. While grabbing enemies, you can either kill them, drain their energy to get health and "wraith power" which gives you slow motion while using the bow, or interrogate them to get info about the generals of Sauron. At first the generals are all unknown, but you can interrogate any normal enemies and you can find out who the generals are and where they are located. Green marked enemies will tell their weaknesses and strengths.

The generals of Sauron minigame is really awesome. It's like Assassin's Creed Brotherhood's assassination side quests but waayy better. The generals in the game have their own life bar which requires you to beat the crap out of them until their health lowers and they have their own titles like the coward, the beheader, the archer and so on with their weaknesses and strengths, and you can meet them randomly on the road. Plus they're all randomly generated so you'll meet different orcs every time. I have killed around 50 of them and they all have their own names and characteristics. That is very impressive.

The coolest thing about this is if you are killed by a normal enemy, that enemy will become a general and take the place of one of the generals in the game because there's an internal power struggle going on. If you are killed by a general, that general will become stronger which makes them harder to kill. And when you meet them again they will say "back for more eh, bring it on!" Which is so freaking awesome. It adds drama and extra satisfaction of finally beating them to oblivion. And the enemies can do it to you too! If there are these enemies, they will return to you with uglier faces. I destroyed a general 3 times in a row that by the end of it, he has to wear a plastic bag on his head. Now he's in a body bag. HAHAHAHAHAHA!

Killing enemy generals will give you weapon enhancements for your sword, dagger and arrow. The enhancements ranged from normal, rare to epic, and there's a lot of these things, which are also accompanied by the picture of the generals you killed to get them. The epic ones gives the best perks like "able to heal instantly after killing enemy generals", "stealth kills will make enemies run away from you" or "immune to poison". To get better chances of getting epic enhancements, you have to give generals a threat, after you unlock the skill. It will raise their stats by 5 so be careful when that happens because some of the enemies will destroy you if you are not careful.

Of course in the beginning of the game, each weapon is limited to just one attachment. You upgrade the capacity and other stats by collecting skill points from doing various activities on the map, like freeing slaves, doing plant challenges, doing weapon challenges, completing missions and other activities. The first half of the game is spent killing generals, maybe getting killed by those generals, come back from the dead and kill them as revenge.

Then during the middle of the game, things get even more awesome when you acquire the "mind control" power. Using this power, you can control both normal enemies and enemy generals, and from here on, the game switches from Assassin's Creed to Civilization. Or the Total War games when you send spies and assassins. This power is so badass. If you control an enemy general, you can order him to do things for you. Fight against other generals, gain promotion to become a high general/ warchief bodyguard, and betray that general so he will become a warchief himself, and afterwards he can challenge other warchief if you want. I actually use mind control on all the enemy generals + warchiefs and make them my personal minion. I AM THE KING OF MORDOR! Buuuut since they're the forces of evil, I decided that they all have to die. So I gather 5 of them together in combat, and I release my control of them. Meaning all 5 of the die instantly and I loot their epic weapon upgrades. And then I do it again. And Again. AND AGAIN! With different variations on how I want them to betray them. Like in Death Note! Just as I planned. Huahahaha!

There is only 1 thing I don't like about the game and it's just me nitpicking here: the battle music is so generic. It's just this typical battle song you hear in other games but not that epic. Thief has a way more awesome and upbeat battle song, and that's a game based on stealth! It makes battle not as epic even though it is. Once I hear it the third time, I switch to another song. But fortunately I managed to find a way to make the battles even more epic. Here's how:

First, just run to many enemies at once and lure them to your location. Make it so that 20 enemies or more will fight you. Easiest way is to go to enemy strongholds. And then turn the music off and replace it using these bad boys:

AWWWW HELL YESSSSSS! Epicness up to 10,000!

Lastly I want to talk about the ending of the game which people complain about. I love it, because here's what happens during it:

You whooped Sauron's ass, he ran away like a coward, and you will continue to fight him. By making a second ring of power. Cue sequel that I really want to happen. Now normally this will be a cheap thing to happen because we know what will happen in Lord of the Rings, but this game is actually an alternate continuity, which means that the events in this version may not possibly happen like in the original. That means multiple possibilities for an epic showdown between you, maybe members of the Fellowship, and Sauron's army in a way that no one can expect. And I shall wait for that moment to come.

Overall, I love this game. A lot. I have so much fun making my own strategy, killing enemy generals, making those who killed me before kneel before me, and killed them or take control of them, backstabbing many generals with my Death Note, I mean mind control power and become the king of Mordor! I can't wait to see what the sequel will bring. Definitely one of the best games of 2014. I give this game the rating of "so awesome you will play this game again and again."

Ysnar and Dragonfire_115 like this

A few more flaws:

• The story is epically unappealing: this story could have been amazing but is just full of cliche characters, one liners, and unexplanatory events that occur that everyone is just OK with, for instance when your character meets the wraith for the first time his only 2 questions are "Am I dead? Who are you?" his response is "Yes, I don't know who I am" and your character just treats this like it is any other day.
  • Archers are very over powered: If you are fighting 2 captains and a horde of uroks and one of the captains is an archer then he will do serious damage on you along with other archers. They don't always hit but they are not easy to dodge either and they will be your end not the 30 uroks surrounding you like an angry mob.
  • Branding should be lower on the skill tree: this is just a nitpick but seriously one of the coolest features of the game can't be unlocked until late in the game and could have been used so much more early on.

I agree 100%. It wasn't really on my radar. I knew it was coming. I saw the trailers. But I really didn't think it was going to be that great. I bought Horizons 2. Which is also a great game, in my opinion. After I saw some streaming of Shadows I was really impressed. Bought the game today and have put about 7 hours in to it. I can't wait wait to bring down the entire army, and play all of the artifacts missions. I think it's way better than Destiny.

Kaz32 likes this

I think it's way better than Destiny.

Correction: everyone thinks it's way better than Destiny.

After playing for multiple hours I have grown less fond of it. It's still amazing but after watching Joe's interview at E3 for this game I realized the footage they had shown was exactly what we have now, made a year ago! They also had the story written then so what have they been working on since? Obviously not the story since it is so boring, side missions are pointless, and the upgrade systems are basic. Pretty disappointing to me but still an amazing game just could have been way better.

After playing for multiple hours I have grown less fond of it. It's still amazing but after watching Joe's interview at E3 for this game I realized the footage they had shown was exactly what we have now, made a year ago! They also had the story written then so what have they been working on since? Obviously not the story since it is so boring, side missions are pointless, and the upgrade systems are basic. Pretty disappointing to me but still an amazing game just could have been way better.

The game's kind of like Assassin's Creed where if you put too many hours at once you'll get bored of it. You have to take your time and don't rush. Side quests are actually necessary to get upgrades for your health and runes so combat will become a lot more easier and less hard. Thankfully for me, I played this game for 20 hours already and I'm still not tired of it. I'm just having a blast hunting down every generals and make a screenshot of them to add to my collection of assassinations. I'm really surprised that all of them are different. 50 generals I have killed so far.

Jinzuro likes this

The game's kind of like Assassin's Creed where if you put too many hours at once you'll get bored of it. You have to take your time and don't rush. Side quests are actually necessary to get upgrades for your health and runes so combat will become a lot more easier and less hard. Thankfully for me, I played this game for 20 hours already and I'm still not tired of it. I'm just having a blast hunting down every generals and make a screenshot of them to add to my collection of assassinations. I'm really surprised that all of them are different. 50 generals I have killed so far.

I do agree on this. It does feel like Assassin's Creed, though I hardly mind that with the manner its done in the game. I reached a point where I pretty much started ignoring the personal battles. I began to notice patterns when going to kill captains, though I've reached the point where I can brand and control the enemies so it now makes it amusing for me again. Especially taking control of all the archers before getting the Uruks below a taste of cold wraith steel. I'm pretty much thought at this point working on doing the side quests and main story full on instead of going about slaying captains at leisure and I'm gaining my levels just fine this way. Or I can say I collected the skills I needed most already.

I have beaten the game and the story does not add up to the lore at all, and the 2 final battles are the easiest fights in the game not because of how powerful you are but because they are simple on what to do. getting all of the collectibles doesn't do anything, beating the sword bow and dagger challenges don't do anything, and the hunting/survival challenges are just boring and unappealing. I still have fun with the hierarchy and branding but otherwise this game feels unfinished, the story is already very boring but at the end it feels like they are just gearing up for a sequel or dlc content to find out what happens. It was super disappointing and has lowered my rating of it from a 9 to a 7. 

Haven't finished the game yet because I'm still hunting down generals. Now that I have the control ability, I have even more opportunities to create chaos within the ranks. I control 3 bodyguards that a warlord have and when I try to assassinate him, I made his bodyguards attack him. Then after I kill him, I release my control over the 3 and kill them all in an instant, giving me epic weapon upgrades. Damn this game's really damn fun. I don't care if the story is not that good, I just want to kill more generals and make them my puppets!

Finished the game. I can't wait for the sequel! In the meantime, I will devise my strategy to backstab enemies and make them fight one another, before killing all of them. Just as planned.

thumb.jpg

Muahahahaha!