• Welcome to the Angry Joe Show Army!

Join our community of gamers passionate about our community and our hobby! Whether it's playing, discussing, or watching games, regardless of platform, genre, or location, we have a place for you, always!

• PS4 Forum

The AJSA Playstation 4 Division: Game Nights and More!

The AJSA is on Playstation 4! Join us for weekly Game Nights with a selection of the best games the PS4 has to offer!

• XBO Forum

The AJSA Xbox One Division: We Got You Covered!

The AJSA Xbox One Division is ready to connect with you on XBox Live with a ton of events for the best Xbox games!

• News Archive

The Best News from the Best Sites, Every Week.

The AJSA News Collection Team is hard at work condensing a week's worth of news into one giant-sze digest for you to chew on and discuss! Links to source articles are always provided!

• More Info

The AJSA Expeditionary Force: Deploying to Play the Best PC Games!

The elite vanguard of the AJSA, the Expeditionary Force (EF) chooses a new PC game every week! Join us for weekly events and help decide if the game has a future in the AJSA.

• The Team

Streaming Now: The AJSA Stream Team

Joe can't stream every game, but our talented AJSA Stream Team covers a wide variety of games and personalities! Check them out, and show them some AJSA Love!

• The Tube

The AJSA Community YouTube Channel

Featuring news, gameplay clips, and more from the community! The Community is a chance to showcase the best moments in AJSA Gaming!

Ichi The bunny

2 types of review videos?

11 posts in this topic

Hey there, 

So I've been watching Joe's reviews for awhile now, and while I find them useful and insightful, I always notice that they tend to have a lot of spoilers (not that many... but one is already to many...). I know that the point of his reviews are to go over the whole of the game- but at the same time if I'm planning to wait for one of his reviews on a triple A game, that I'm always a little worried some big part of the game's gonna be  spoiled.

So my thought was, why not do 2 review videos? The first being like... maybe 1-2 minutes long with simple explanation. And then the other main video with the full review. Ending the simply reviews with "Hey if you like this: ______" Then this might be the game for you, or "This game was f**king amazing, go buy it, and play it, I implore you". 

I dunno, what are your guys thoughts?

I have difficulty watching reviews just for that reason. The most enjoyable part of a game for me is the exploration and learning, that "new" feel of not knowing anything about the game. I don't want anything spoiled, so often times I'm happy to take the risk with certain titles (franchises I'm familiar with) and not watch any reviews at all. It would be nice if he could do the separate videos, but from his perspective I think it's just too time consuming to do the extra video. He already finds it difficult to get game reviews out considering how much time it takes to insure the high quality he always provides.

I personally don't mind what may be treated as spoiler in his video review, you cannot express about the graphic, bug, good/bad gameplay in a video review without showing it.

That being said, I actually care about spoilers in "reviews". But the way he does it, I think it is pretty good because it made me more curious about the game, or if he was just telling some joke rather than spoil the game's content.

I have difficulty watching reviews just for that reason. The most enjoyable part of a game for me is the exploration and learning, that "new" feel of not knowing anything about the game. I don't want anything spoiled, so often times I'm happy to take the risk with certain titles (franchises I'm familiar with) and not watch any reviews at all. It would be nice if he could do the separate videos, but from his perspective I think it's just too time consuming to do the extra video. He already finds it difficult to get game reviews out considering how much time it takes to insure the high quality he always provides.

Ya that was my main thought on the extra video with how time consuming it would be. Which is why it would only need to be maybe 1-2 minutes long. Hell, it could even be 30 seconds long. A simple "It was good... Play this game" or "It was so bad, you're gonna have to wait for my main review to know why". Done. I know the middle ground games would be harder to keep up with in that regard though... 

I personally don't mind what may be treated as spoiler in his video review, you cannot express about the graphic, bug, good/bad gameplay in a video review without showing it.

That being said, I actually care about spoilers in "reviews". But the way he does it, I think it is pretty good because it made me more curious about the game, or if he was just telling some joke rather than spoil the game's content.

You're definitely right about that. He doesn't spoil in a massive sense compared to other reviews I just straight up won't watch anymore. But even then, to me (and others like me) tiny spoilers are just as bad as huge spoilers. Like there are some that just can't be avoided (ie: the ME3 ending which was all over the f**king internet...), so there's no real blame thrown around for universally spoiled endings like that. 

Why not just skip to the last minute or two where he gives the score instead of watching the whole thing? I'm not being mean or anything, but an additional video of just the score is kind of redundant since he gives the full explanation at the end of each review.

But I completely agree on the spoiler part, some games you just want to see for yourself. But Joe does what he does for a reason, he wants his viewers to know that he isn't making shit up...SO he records it as proof and says "hey this is broken, see for yourself". But my best advice is what I had mentioned, just skip to the end of the review if that's all you want to see and BAM...score only. Hope that helped at least a little.

This is Trevor Collins, good night and godspeed.

I've never felt truly spoiled by anything in any of his reviews... If there's actually something really important I'm pretty sure there are warnings about it just for that part. Also, Citan, is that Maria from knights in the nightmare? There isn't a new news about that game or something is there?

just skip to the end of the review

That could work.

That's one of the main problem with reviews that tend to be neutral, honest and spontaneous, unlike commercial reviews that exist to promote the game. Joe has to rely on the actual game content to show and rant on what's going on with it (if that's necessary) ; he can't simply say in front of the camera that the game sucks, because it would be pointless and the vids would be kinda less interresting and fun to watch. His long videos are also a plus over the text reviews because text reviews aren't really reliable or fiable either, and can be rather dangerous since you can dislike the idea of a game you think of from a text review, but love the actual game if you were to play it.

Sometimes you're just thankful to get spoiled for a bad game so it saves your time. Some games don't even have that "huge" spoil risk, like fps games such as counter-strike, racing games or fighting games. When the game is good I guess he's sane enough to not show the end kiss. And if you are really worrying about getting spoiled, you should just take the go with the game title and picture ; that's how games used to be taken on and eventually got loved. A review involves talking about the game, that's its point. Simply don't watch it and you won't get spoiled by it. Choosing to watch it means you want to see at least a bit.

I'm not sure he's going to make an effort to make a shorter video to summarize his full review. That's still more work for him no matter how short that video may be. That video would probably be just him reading his notes for the review. Considering how he sometimes has to skip over reviewing something that he originally planned to review, I doubt that he'd find time to do something like this.

I would welcome the idea of him doing simplified narrations or VLogs if it allows him to get more content out while still doing his regular reviews.