• Welcome to the Angry Joe Show Army!

Join our community of gamers passionate about our community and our hobby! Whether it's playing, discussing, or watching games, regardless of platform, genre, or location, we have a place for you, always!

• PS4 Forum

The AJSA Playstation 4 Division: Game Nights and More!

The AJSA is on Playstation 4! Join us for weekly Game Nights with a selection of the best games the PS4 has to offer!

• XBO Forum

The AJSA Xbox One Division: We Got You Covered!

The AJSA Xbox One Division is ready to connect with you on XBox Live with a ton of events for the best Xbox games!

• News Archive

The Best News from the Best Sites, Every Week.

The AJSA News Collection Team is hard at work condensing a week's worth of news into one giant-sze digest for you to chew on and discuss! Links to source articles are always provided!

• More Info

The AJSA Expeditionary Force: Deploying to Play the Best PC Games!

The elite vanguard of the AJSA, the Expeditionary Force (EF) chooses a new PC game every week! Join us for weekly events and help decide if the game has a future in the AJSA.

• The Team

Streaming Now: The AJSA Stream Team

Joe can't stream every game, but our talented AJSA Stream Team covers a wide variety of games and personalities! Check them out, and show them some AJSA Love!

• The Tube

The AJSA Community YouTube Channel

Featuring news, gameplay clips, and more from the community! The Community is a chance to showcase the best moments in AJSA Gaming!

Samurai Rabbit

Middle-Earth: Shadow of Mordor First Impressions Review

8 posts in this topic

Hi guys, here's my First Impressions Review of Middle-Earth Shadow of Mordor, an open world action adventure game set in the Lord of The Rings universe.

Any of you guys picked this up yet? What do you think of it so far?  :)

Absolutely love it. I will 100% complete it tonight, hopefully. I recommend it heavily, especially if you like action games similar to the Arkham series.

Samurai Rabbit likes this

Absolutely love it. I will 100% complete it tonight, hopefully. I recommend it heavily, especially if you like action games similar to the Arkham series.

I have to admit I didn't bother doing anything but killing generals (for leveling) and the main story aside from two of those missions where you have to free slaves. I didn't go about doing any of the find the artifacts or other types. >:/ And now my damn curiousity is pulling at me. Good thing you can continue after beating the game.

I know I'm in the minority on this but I think game has some serious problems.  Cheif among witch are the broken steath mechanics, you can knife one guy in the back and then another and another even if they are literary inches from one another without them noticing anything (this happens at the start of the OP's very video!).  I can score a steath kill by sprinting right to their faces and hiting the crouch and attack buttons at the last second, it doesn't matter if they are alerted to your presence or not and you can win battles against hoards of grunts and even Captains by just mashing the attack and parry buttons over and over.  I also take issue with how derivative the gameplay feels, aside from the brilliant new Nemesis system this game does not have an original bone in it's body.  It is literary  Assassins Creed 2 meets Batman with a Middle Earth paint job.

With that being said it is a bloody good paint job!  The visual style, sound design, music , voice acting and animations are all top notch.  The devs have done a brilliant job of making the original story presented here fell like a part of Tolkien's lore and Peter Jackson's vision.  I also give credit for the Nemesis engine witch  is ingenious adding a very unique and dynamic feel to the progression, I just wish more original ideas like this were applied to the rest of the game.

It's feel of the gameplay that matters most and for me this is where Shadow Of Mordor ultimately fails.  It's derivative, the steath mechanics are broken resulting in the only difficult parts being were you cant relay on it.  This is a big disappointment for me because sneaking around going for stealth kills is normally how I like play these types of games but right now because steath is fucked it makes it to easy.

@ Crazycrab Wait a minute, you disagree with an OP on the internet and explained why using thought out examples?

The internet is no place for you! BE GONE!  ;)

Thanks for watching mate  :)

I think RPGs could really benefit from implementing something similar to the Nemesis System, having multiple run-ins with the same enemies who become stronger, just as you do, would be a nice addition. If you could have branching story alongside it, that would be great (although that may be impossible.)

Crazycrab likes this