• Welcome to the Angry Joe Show Army!

Join our community of gamers passionate about our community and our hobby! Whether it's playing, discussing, or watching games, regardless of platform, genre, or location, we have a place for you, always!

• PS4 Forum

The AJSA Playstation 4 Division: Game Nights and More!

The AJSA is on Playstation 4! Join us for weekly Game Nights with a selection of the best games the PS4 has to offer!

• XBO Forum

The AJSA Xbox One Division: We Got You Covered!

The AJSA Xbox One Division is ready to connect with you on XBox Live with a ton of events for the best Xbox games!

• News Archive

The Best News from the Best Sites, Every Week.

The AJSA News Collection Team is hard at work condensing a week's worth of news into one giant-sze digest for you to chew on and discuss! Links to source articles are always provided!

• More Info

The AJSA Expeditionary Force: Deploying to Play the Best PC Games!

The elite vanguard of the AJSA, the Expeditionary Force (EF) chooses a new PC game every week! Join us for weekly events and help decide if the game has a future in the AJSA.

• The Team

Streaming Now: The AJSA Stream Team

Joe can't stream every game, but our talented AJSA Stream Team covers a wide variety of games and personalities! Check them out, and show them some AJSA Love!

• The Tube

The AJSA Community YouTube Channel

Featuring news, gameplay clips, and more from the community! The Community is a chance to showcase the best moments in AJSA Gaming!

Muddy-Chan

Lets improve this guild!

25 posts in this topic

Now that I'm not bogged down in school assignments and work (well, less so) I'm going to start focusing on this little guild again. As it was posted beforehand, a lot of members feel not enough is being done with the guild and I agree. Seeing as how it's spring over where I am, it's only fitting we begin a spring cleaning of the guild!

I understand that there was a post about this before, but I think everyone should post the suggestions they want here so it's less wall-of-texty as the last post was (still a good post, just a massive read).

These are the issues that were brought up:

• The guild has a lot of "dead' members (members that no longer participate in activities) and they are grossly over-estimating how many members we actually have. 
  • A lack of incentive to participate in activities
  • Flaming in inhouses
  • General lack of communication between officers and members (Something I see anyways)

If you have any suggestions or solutions to the above problems, as well as issues you see that aren't listed here, please post them here and we'll try and find a way to fix it.

If my fellow officers are reading this post, as well as my boss, I respectfully wish for an officer meeting at some point depending on the results of this post. 

Any and all suggestions are welcome. This guild is something that we all know is on a slow decline, and I'm hoping to fix that. 

I promised I would solve these issues and I'm keeping my promise. 

~Muddy-Chan 

Riverside75 likes this

I'm not saying people don't care about this community or the Dota 2 Guild but there's only so much us, as Officers, can do for the guild.

If people don't want to take part in events there's not a whole lot more we can do.

We've promoted events, in-houses and Tournaments as much as humanly possible but it's up to everyone else to take an interest in what we do.

I personally think most of the AJSA community doesn't know what the Guild is for.

As for the bullet points you listed:

• The Guild having "dead" members happens all the time in any sort of community/guild/clan. Not much we can do but either ignore the fact they're here or remove them from the guild. But that's a monumental task

• What more can we do to provide an incentive to take part? I personally can't think of much more than we've already done. Offering prizes for events that are NOT tournaments seems a bit pointless and expensive

• Flaming in in-houses comes back down to people not understanding what this whole community is about. And we can lecture all we want, but not everyone wants to or can be expected to get a long for the sake of events. That's just human nature

• I do admit that communication from us Officers to the general Community has been lacking...but I don't know what else we can say to ensure people we're active and care about the Guild. Do people want a Tournament? I'm very highly doubting that we can get 10+ teams for a Tournament anytime soon. Do people still want In-Houses? I've heard from Riverside that stuff happens at the weekends but I have no scope as to how successful those are and what numbers he gets taking part

I do appreciate at least one of us making a Thread like this to show that we care and I'll offer any input I can.

Peace,

~mrfool~

Riverside75, Muddy-Chan and Thrower like this

I know this isn't my place to post but I do like to help where ever I can. In League we kind of went through and are still going through a similar situation where the League community in AJSA completely fell apart. Now me and Seph both are trying our best to bring it back. So far I've been happy with the progress, I managed to get what members we have together in EUW, opened a public chat and now I'm trying to do my best to come up and organize casual events in the hopes of just getting members together to meet, play and have fun together. After that it's when the big stuff comes in...tournaments and more competitive stuff. 

As mrfool said, if someone loses interest there is not much you can do but still don't give up. If your current members aren't interested, try finding new ones or try to motivate some of the ones you have now. You don't have to do stuff with prizes, maybe some casual games for fun or certain similar events that bring members together but don't require way too much organization are easier to start with. I mean the whole point of a guild and a community is to be together and have fun. 

Maybe starting with smaller easier events just to get some of the members together would be a good idea. Join a pub game and own some asses as AJSA and later keep on planning for some more stuff. You can start together from the top, officers playing together and try to get some members with you. 

One thing that DOTA 2 has that's a lot better is you can switch servers, you might lag a little but in a casual game it doesn't really matter that much. What matters is you guys can all play together. Sadly in League EUW and NA need to play separately unless one makes another account and starts all over again in another server. 

Unless the goal of the  DOTA 2 guild is to be fully competitive and is all about tournaments, that's another story then. But getting members motivated is probably the hardest part. If you can't do it, maybe look for some new ones and try to get the loyal ones with you to help you out.

Thrower, mrfool and Muddy-Chan like this

I mean the whole point of a guild and a community is to be together and have fun.

Damn I wish more people understood that. You'd not believe the amount of hate and flaming we've witnessed in our friendly In-House games (5v5 casual stuff, anyone joins in to have fun and play against + together with AJSA members).

I appreciate your input on this though Apex, you've always been a great help to me and the community on a whole so don't think you're not welcome posting here! :D

Your words have given some food for thought so, and I'll be thinking real hard about smaller events to get the interest flowing again.

Apex Spartan likes this

Damn I wish more people understood that. You'd not believe the amount of hate and flaming we've witnessed in our friendly In-House games (5v5 casual stuff, anyone joins in to have fun and play against + together with AJSA members).

I appreciate your input on this though Apex, you've always been a great help to me and the community on a whole so don't think you're not welcome posting here! :D

Your words have given some food for thought so, and I'll be thinking real hard about smaller events to get the interest flowing again.

Haha you give me too much credit mate.^^

I think the part about flaming and so on in casual games is unacceptable. It ruins the whole mood, I mean I can flame too but then I just think that I ruin other people games and I look like a jerk and over time I stopped and if I ever flame, I curse out a few words in my head. I for one will keep a hard eye on such behavior in our LoL guild and I won't stand if someone from AJSA flames another AJSA member or even another random player. I will try to come up with a certain warning/punishment system for it. My goal is try to create a friendly gaming environment and not a environment where our members flame each other or anyone else in that matter. As you said, I just hope everyone would understand that.

I don't know, I really hope my input helps you. It did help me last time I was a officer in another community hence why I'm using the same method for AJSA LoL now and for now it's working but I still need to see. If I can ever help somehow here, let me know. :D

mrfool likes this

Haha you give me too much credit mate.^^

I think the part about flaming and so on in casual games is unacceptable. It ruins the whole mood, I mean I can flame too but then I just think that I ruin other people games and I look like a jerk and over time I stopped and if I ever flame, I curse out a few words in my head. I for one will keep a hard eye on such behavior in our LoL guild and I won't stand if someone from AJSA flames another AJSA member or even another random player. I will try to come up with a certain warning/punishment system for it. My goal is try to create a friendly gaming environment and not a environment where our members flame each other or anyone else in that matter. As you said, I just hope everyone would understand that.

I don't know, I really hope my input helps you. It did help me last time I was a officer in another community hence why I'm using the same method for AJSA LoL now and for now it's working but I still need to see. If I can ever help somehow here, let me know. :D

pls teach me officer ways.

As for your first post. I do understand what both of you guys are saying. The players make the community. At the same time, I'm one of those people that always thinks there is something to improve on. If the community wants to do something, I want to make damn sure they have the resources needed to do it. If there is anything I can improve on, I'm going to improve it. Hence why I made this post.

Still, I appreciate the feedback from both of you. Have a cookie.

mrfool and Apex Spartan like this

We have a small, practice Tournament coming up next month. We're testing the waters to see how many people and teams are interested in different sized Tournaments!

There's a thread on this Tournament on the top of the Dota 2 forums and inside the Dota 2 Archives

Yup, the mini tourney is up. Hopefully that gets some people interested. As well with the inactive members. It is simpler to just get rid of the old steam group and make a new one(in my opinion). I'm not saying kick people or remove people just that to see who is still active or at least checks will noticed we moved groups.

I agree to this because it gives me a better representation on who are active in the guild or somewhat interested. Also so when i make posts I know at least the people who seen the event or know that I put up a mini tourney or what not. I think we can agree to this and just find it challenging for our follow guild mates to see what we are posting because honestly I don't think the guild checks the forums so much. 

Also I think this is like a routine thing to do. You have to do this every now then again and its almost been a year so I think its about time. 

Muddy-Chan and mrfool like this

Welp, haven't been here in a while. Well I've read all of your posts and I fully agree on the points you make. But like mrfool said, there is only as much we as officers can do. We don't have infinite power or however you wanna put it. Sure we can help by kicking inactive members in the stream group or whatever but what will change if we do so? Nothing. Exactly nothing will happen if we kick a few inactive members. Except from the number where you can see how many people are in the guild will decrease. And in In-houses, there are definently people flaming eachother, cursing like no tomorrow etc. Now that's something we can do something about. The closest I've come to flaming someone is mostly pubs. But I like to call it "Instructive Criticism" :).

Btw sorry for being inactive lately, lost interest for Dota but I've tend to like it again.

"Instructive Criticism" :)

More like Destructive Criticism, huehue

I personally agree with Riverside on this topic. Even though I barely post on the forums as is and haven't been on dota 2 in almost 2 months due to me making a film and Work in the way Ive slowly started to get back into it, With Kaze, Fuda, and the other guys on TS. But I really feel like the AJSA Dota 2 department is lacking in certain areas and in certain areas I mean certain regions. I mean the majority of people in the ajsa guild are mostly from the United States and from the UK and I feel that we need atleast some 2 moderator's one in each region instead of a bunch of officers and only 1 Leader which is Craig I believe, correct me if I'm wrong. Then we can really expand both sides of the Dota 2 community within the AJSA and focus more instead of always having to refer to craig when he has better things to do and it also takes the stress off of everything that has to go through him like tournaments and what not. Thats just my take on it as whenever we get on around 7 or 8pm us pst its 7 hours past my time for you guy's so we dont really have alot of time to really communicate other than forums. I just feel that would be way more beneficial for the guild as a whole. Thats my 2 cents about it. 

Alright let me take this to the extreme how about every week the guild is taken down and put back up and the people who still want to stay have to keep signing back in. Actively checking the events and messages in the forums, steam, and etc. to stay in the guild.

Before I get more into it I want your thoughts.

Alright let me take this to the extreme how about every week the guild is taken down and put back up and the people who still want to stay have to keep signing back in. Actively checking the events and messages in the forums, steam, and etc. to stay in the guild.

Before I get more into it I want your thoughts.

Who's going to do it? It's going to be both incredibly annoying and time consuming for both parties here. Doing it once every, say, 6 months or so should suffice. 

I personally agree with Riverside on this topic. Even though I barely post on the forums as is and haven't been on dota 2 in almost 2 months due to me making a film and Work in the way Ive slowly started to get back into it, With Kaze, Fuda, and the other guys on TS. But I really feel like the AJSA Dota 2 department is lacking in certain areas and in certain areas I mean certain regions. I mean the majority of people in the ajsa guild are mostly from the United States and from the UK and I feel that we need atleast some 2 moderator's one in each region instead of a bunch of officers and only 1 Leader which is Craig I believe, correct me if I'm wrong. Then we can really expand both sides of the Dota 2 community within the AJSA and focus more instead of always having to refer to craig when he has better things to do and it also takes the stress off of everything that has to go through him like tournaments and what not. Thats just my take on it as whenever we get on around 7 or 8pm us pst its 7 hours past my time for you guy's so we dont really have alot of time to really communicate other than forums. I just feel that would be way more beneficial for the guild as a whole. Thats my 2 cents about it. 

It's not a bad idea. LoL has 2 leaders, with Apex handling Europe and Seph handling the US (I think). Making it so the orders are better distributed could mean regions have more region-based events and easier to get into. 

Still, OCE needs some love :( .

mrfool likes this

I mean that just makes so much sense to me. I think events could run so much smoother through a program like that and we can definitely make that happen. It would clear up alot of the hubba bubba with the in houses. Those things are a joke in my mind. I mean I think the in houses are great but the majority of players can't all play us east without lag and vice versa on European servers so it just creates this whole crap for the in houses.

I mean that just makes so much sense to me. I think events could run so much smoother through a program like that and we can definitely make that happen. It would clear up alot of the hubba bubba with the in houses. Those things are a joke in my mind. I mean I think the in houses are great but the majority of players can't all play us east without lag and vice versa on European servers so it just creates this whole crap for the in houses.

Easily solved by having region-specific Events. I think we have enough of a US and EU Community respectively so it shouldn't be impossible to do.

We shall see.

OK so I used to run a large guild of sorts on planetside 2 and here is how we kept a active community:

1. Always have a party up with someone friendly leading it, this doesn't have to be a leader or high ranking officer but the idea here is that we have a repetitive that will always be flouting around the games. This idea and little blimp of activity and is the essence of this idea and part of point 2. 

2. Recruit people with an open party system. This is fairly simple at the start of the game the leader or representative will state that they are part of a requiting guild or whatever, then they act nice and talk to people, after the game is about done they stat a discussion about the game and talk about the guild and how amazing it is then ask if anyone is interested. Only 1 or 2 people ever respond but those who do are sent a message directing them to the website where they register and then told to join the DOTA guild. This is the most important part of this system because it keeps the community fresh and exited! The only way to counter act emigration is immigration and in this case we might have a lot of space where we once had a large group of people due to point 3.

3. Make it clear and loud when you are going to kick out the inactives and then follow though, the cleaning might take out a hundred or two people but rejoining the steam group is easy enough. 

4. Keep up the idea that this community is active, even if you look like you’re standing in a room alone screaming at a post that the room is crowed, keep it up someone will pick it up and think your right and if the requirement and open party is always there then the evidence is there to back you up. Some of the people we pick up will be trolls or assholes but not all can be reviewed before an invitation is sent out to join so see point 5.

5. Enforce the rules in a active and relentless manner. If more and more people are let in and the rules are loose we will look like chaos in the purest form. So the enforcing of all rules is critical.

But this is just how I did things, and this works for most games from FPS to MMOs this is a good system it just takes a lot of energy and time that I no longer really have.

Imo the in-house community rage comes from the difference of dota experience. The less experienced ones tend to make a lot more mistakes (i've been proved wrong about that one tho), and it makes the more experienced ones angry n stuff. so ye you could also make in-houses for the <600 games people and >600 games people, so that should lower the rage. Still the fact that this is a MOBA and everyone rages in here because they play to win for some reason is true and nobody can change that. 

Also i think using a mic in an inhouse is pretty important if you want to have more fun. Feels more... alive.

I don't really have any ideas (ones that aren't stupid) to help you with this, but if there's anything i can help you with then i'm here.

Muddy-Chan likes this

Imo the in-house community rage comes from the difference of dota experience. The less experienced ones tend to make a lot more mistakes (i've been proved wrong about that one tho), and it makes the more experienced ones angry n stuff. so ye you could also make in-houses for the <600 games people and >600 games people, so that should lower the rage. Still the fact that this is a MOBA and everyone rages in here because they play to win for some reason is true and nobody can change that. 

Also i think using a mic in an inhouse is pretty important if you want to have more fun. Feels more... alive.

I don't really have any ideas (ones that aren't stupid) to help you with this, but if there's anything i can help you with then i'm here.

I think the main problem is the fact that people get salty at guild members at all and that there is no penality for this. I am avoiding the inhouses just for this reason. It is no fun.

To improve the guild I think we can all agree it is necessary that people get more involved and start playing together (and join TS). But how to achieve this? I don't think inhouses are a good way since they are too strict (fixed time etc.). We should utilize the guild chat in dota more. Right now all I see in guild chat is "Omg my team was full of faggots for the last 5 games QQ". If "active" guild members want to play they should start an open Party and just tell the guild that you can join. If people join and it is fun they will come back. This might be a slow process but it works. I am now much more often on TS since i play with people like Kaze or Fuda (love you guys).

Elektronas likes this

I think the main problem is the fact that people get salty at guild members at all and that there is no penality for this. I am avoiding the inhouses just for this reason. It is no fun.

To improve the guild I think we can all agree it is necessary that people get more involved and start playing together (and join TS). But how to achieve this? I don't think inhouses are a good way since they are too strict (fixed time etc.). We should utilize the guild chat in dota more. Right now all I see in guild chat is "Omg my team was full of faggots for the last 5 games QQ". If "active" guild members want to play they should start an open Party and just tell the guild that you can join. If people join and it is fun they will come back. This might be a slow process but it works. I am now much more often on TS since i play with people like Kaze or Fuda (love you guys).

We used to have a lot of people doing open groups, I guess that stopped when people found their own preferred group of friends to play with though.

Mellow likes this

I will take what ender said to account. Open groups are less that is true seems because of inactivity. Hopefully more people join with events like ender stated. Please give me more idea's so me and others can help improve the guild.

mrfool and Ender like this

I've seen some Dota Guilds make a mass 1v1 Event. Where everyone is allowed to join. You just post the end result screen shot from your game on a thread and then play the next guy willing. Only the winner gets to play again. Only the last man standing gets 1-st place. Everyone can play until he loses a match. Does not require officer supervision. Maybe just some rules about what server you play on and if you play just one game of bo3. If you put the rule that you need to be able to join the TS to play, this should get more people on TS even if they don't have yet a group they are playing with. It could bring them to come more often to TS and look for other people.

I think Smith did a random Team Tournament. In witch you sign in as a single player and get assigned to a team. But if you do this in Dota people will get really pissed at each other.

I also suggested that we do Streaming of "how to play a position in a team". All we need is one good player on that position and one that can stream. The problem is how to make people watch it. Kind of like the way PS2 Division is making Training sessions. Those event worked there pretty well. But ofc AJ was online so people came. I guess the easiest way is to use the Games Of Thrones strategy "The Dragons are coming!". We could just say "AJ is coming" people will start showing for sure :P . Man this lack of streaming + some one that actually knows dota makes me feel sad. Riverside you want to co-stream for fun with me the next game we can this weekend, if we are not playing? My PC is ok but my Network can't manage more then 480p right now :) But if we have no other options we might just do it for fun and see if anyone joins. Or we can just steam inside of dota and ask everyone that wants to join form the client. They just need to be on our friends list.

I've seen some Dota Guilds make a mass 1v1 Event. Where everyone is allowed to join. You just post the end result screen shot from your game on a thread and then play the next guy willing. Only the winner gets to play again. Only the last man standing gets 1-st place. Everyone can play until he loses a match. Does not require officer supervision. Maybe just some rules about what server you play on and if you play just one game of bo3. If you put the rule that you need to be able to join the TS to play, this should get more people on TS even if they don't have yet a group they are playing with. It could bring them to come more often to TS and look for other people.

I think Smith did a random Team Tournament. In witch you sign in as a single player and get assigned to a team. But if you do this in Dota people will get really pissed at each other.

I also suggested that we do Streaming of "how to play a position in a team". All we need is one good player on that position and one that can stream. The problem is how to make people watch it. Kind of like the way PS2 Division is making Training sessions. Those event worked there pretty well. But ofc AJ was online so people came. I guess the easiest way is to use the Games Of Thrones strategy "The Dragons are coming!". We could just say "AJ is coming" people will start showing for sure :P . Man this lack of streaming + some one that actually knows dota makes me feel sad. Riverside you want to co-stream for fun with me the next game we can this weekend, if we are not playing? My PC is ok but my Network can't manage more then 480p right now :) But if we have no other options we might just do it for fun and see if anyone joins. Or we can just steam inside of dota and ask everyone that wants to join form the client. They just need to be on our friends list.

The idea of streaming training sessions is a great idea and having Joe's support on that would be ideal...But I don't see that support ever happening.

The rule of "We never ask Joe for anything" is there.

Whether or not I agree with the rule isn't important, but if you guys start streaming and really push it and advertise it here I'm sure it'll help a ton.

As always, let me know if you guys need any help. You got my support, It's what I'm here for.

Not sure if i already said that, but i'll try to help you guys in any way i can (my PC is too crappy to be able to stream at an acceptable fps/resolution + i'm not good with OBS or any other streaming software), just pm me on Steam.

The 1v1 tournament is a nice little idea, we had one before, didn't we? Maybe more people will be interested since it's not required to have a team which is what most of us lone wolves need.

I'm getting ready to start streaming Dota on a schedule now that I've got an upgrade to my internet speed. If there is anything i can do to help. Just ask