• Welcome to the Angry Joe Show Army!

Join our community of gamers passionate about our community and our hobby! Whether it's playing, discussing, or watching games, regardless of platform, genre, or location, we have a place for you, always!

• PS4 Forum

The AJSA Playstation 4 Division: Game Nights and More!

The AJSA is on Playstation 4! Join us for weekly Game Nights with a selection of the best games the PS4 has to offer!

• XBO Forum

The AJSA Xbox One Division: We Got You Covered!

The AJSA Xbox One Division is ready to connect with you on XBox Live with a ton of events for the best Xbox games!

• News Archive

The Best News from the Best Sites, Every Week.

The AJSA News Collection Team is hard at work condensing a week's worth of news into one giant-sze digest for you to chew on and discuss! Links to source articles are always provided!

• More Info

The AJSA Expeditionary Force: Deploying to Play the Best PC Games!

The elite vanguard of the AJSA, the Expeditionary Force (EF) chooses a new PC game every week! Join us for weekly events and help decide if the game has a future in the AJSA.

• The Team

Streaming Now: The AJSA Stream Team

Joe can't stream every game, but our talented AJSA Stream Team covers a wide variety of games and personalities! Check them out, and show them some AJSA Love!

• The Tube

The AJSA Community YouTube Channel

Featuring news, gameplay clips, and more from the community! The Community is a chance to showcase the best moments in AJSA Gaming!

Alexander452

What was the deal with Dragon age origins ?

38 posts in this topic

So since i got the game for free on Origin i checked it out. 

I can see why the story is good, and the dialouge is also good.

But the gameplay is terrible, you have to babysit 4 people (your own character as well as your character runs off to do other shit in combat, when you're trying to do something with 1 of the AI's).

And the slow movement of the attacks makes it quite annoying when you have archers fleeing so they can shoot you quicker than you can attack. 

Health potions are used up so quickly and are little to no use, since you will most likely die anyways. 

The pausebutton does nearly nothing as you are limited to what you do.

And the list goes on 

So why was this game so highly praised, when it had gameplay as shitty as it does ?

The gameplay is great, its a style that maybe you're not familiar with or use to. Its based on old style party group RPGs (Baldur's Gate, KoTor, most older Bioware games). The pause button is the key where you plan all your party members actions. You need to use strategies during encounters, have your tanks holding off the mobs off of your mages and damage dealing class. The combat can definitely be difficult if you're not used to it, try pulling mobs to you as opposed to rushing into a room where the enemy is waiting for you. Idk how far you got, but later on you get mages that have healing spells, so potions are not as important. 

Think of Mass Effect type but you're companions are as much important as your main character is, you can't headshot everything yourself while your teamates are in cover. 

Hopefully I've helped you out a bit, Dragon Age is one of my favorite games, I really enjoy the strategy and the story is fantastic. If you do manage to get use to the combat and enjoy the game, I strongly suggest checking out Nexus Mods, a lot of amazing mods for the game are found there.

The gameplay is certainly different, and I admit the first time I played most of my melee people died against harder bosses. But . . . . I still enjoyed the gameplay, yes it is slow and not say Dragon Age 2. (Which I did enjoy the fast gameplay of that game, I know heresy, burn the witch lol) But it is a good game sometimes because you had to plan things out or get slaughtered. That is my opinion anyway.

Bast50 and ShyPoptart like this

The combat mechanics are a little old school so i can se why some people do not like it. It's way more tactical than action based and calls memories of older titles where micromanagement was essential do get out from a fight without too many scars.

Bast50 likes this

The gameplay itself is quiet good, the story is great and the combat system is quiet interesting and I was new to it as well when I first played Origins few months back. It takes some getting used to but what you said about the slow attacking speed, at least with swords, I know what you mean. It's the only thing that pissed me off about the combat, I didn't see the point of why the animation was so slow, it looked as if it was slow motion or as if they were training with their swords like, "Hey, I'm going to swing my sword down at your right foot, VERY slowly" lol

That's the only thing I found confusing about the combat but otherwise the whole combat system is quiet interesting and you will get used to it.

As rest of the guys said, press SPACE bar to pause and plan out your strategy of attack/defense and that's when you use the time to order the rest of your squad on what to do.

Arreyanne likes this

You never played d&d based rpg? D:

I can't remember that I did xD

I can't remember that I did xD

So no Baldur's Gate, no Planescape Torment, no Neverwinter Nights, no Icewind Dale? D:

Oh the humanity.

truscotty likes this

Oh, I think I played Neverwinter Nights but that was long ago, I barely remember it. :P

They're re-releasing all of those titles as "enhanced editions". Baldur's Gate and Baldur's Gate II are out (I've just finished BG and starting BGII) and they are currently working on Icewind Dale, I believe the next one after that is Torment and then its Neverwinter Nights. The Enhanced Editions are nice, they add cutscenes and fix bugs from the originals, or you can probably find all of those games on GoG.

truscotty likes this

Weeeel. the BGI EE actually fixed some bugs wich were already fixed by mods and added new ones xD Though i got to say that with the last updates is good and is a viable option, fort the second one i would wait the new bugs they introduced (all reported in the GoG user's reviews) are fixed.

Well thats the thing with 20 year old games, ppl have fixed a lot of the issues via mods and etc. BG and BGII are some of my favorite games in the 30+ years of gaming, I like the Enhanced Edition initiaves because they bring back those games to ppl who may have never heard of them, its obviously not perfect but I like to support the guys at Beamdog, its not a big company doing those editions so Its good to support them.

But you're right for some of those games the GoG have tons of mods and for much cheaper.

Orpo likes this

Well right now i think the BG EE is the best way to play the game, i'm just suggesting to wait for the BG2 EE until the bugs are fixed, in the first EE i remember at least three game breaking bugs and on of them was related to one of the new npcs.

Right ok. DAO is based on the Old School D&D games. Like Baldursgate, Neverwinter, Icewind Dale. That is why gameplay is like that. Personally I love that style of gameplay over the newer versions. As for its looks and story. Thats how DAO is supposed to be. It fits perfectly that is why the game is praised so much. You do not see many new games using the old ways. They tend to carter to much to the casuals.

But the gameplay is terrible, you have to babysit 4 people (your own character as well as your character runs off to do other shit in combat, when you're trying to do something with 1 of the AI's).

And the slow movement of the attacks makes it quite annoying when you have archers fleeing so they can shoot you quicker than you can attack.

Health potions are used up so quickly and are little to no use, since you will most likely die anyways.

The pausebutton does nearly nothing as you are limited to what you do.

And the list goes on

So why was this game so highly praised, when it had gameplay as shitty as it does ?

You've never played a real RPG before have you. This is based on the old school days where hand holding isn't a thing.

You've never played a real RPG before have you. This is based on the old school days where hand holding isn't a thing.

No i have not, but everyone needs to start some where right 

It became an obsession of myne the first time i played DA, To have the perfect group with the perfect automated moves / heals and buffs/debuffs.

Took me 3 playthroughs to kill morrigans mother though, she was harder to kill than any boss i encountered.

It became an obsession of myne the first time i played DA, To have the perfect group with the perfect automated moves / heals and buffs/debuffs.

Took me 3 playthroughs to kill morrigans mother though, she was harder to kill than any boss i encountered.

ermergerd spoilers man

Well real it's not the word i would use. It's only a different style of rpg.

ermergerd spoilers man

I thought about adding as spoiler but its optional to kill her or not.. just like alot of character moral choices you`ll face.

I will say this though. Every time you see a back pack upgrade, get them. dispite the cost. there worth it.

When I first tried it out, I liked the game but couldn't wrap my head around the combat because I couldn't pause it mid battle (I was playing a console version).

Now that I have the pc version I think I might be able to have an easier time...sorta.

But the gameplay is terrible, you have to babysit 4 people (your own character as well as your character runs off to do other shit in combat, when you're trying to do something with 1 of the AI's). (1)

And the slow movement of the attacks makes it quite annoying when you have archers fleeing so they can shoot you quicker than you can attack. (2)

Health potions are used up so quickly and are little to no use, since you will most likely die anyways. (3)

The pausebutton does nearly nothing as you are limited to what you do. (4)

And the list goes on 

1. You can alter each characters' combat tactics by either choosing from various presets or making your own custom slots

2. perks like rapid fire for archers fixes this. There was one sustained perk for 2 handed weapons I thought made the character absurdly slow but I simply switched it out with another perk.

3. Health poultices regenerate a certain chunk of health based on a characters constitution and the difficulty you're playing on.

4. For me anyway I find the pause button helpful for pre combat in order to set up my attacks. The pause button is also useful for selecting health poultices, lyrium, and poisons. I never used traps much, I suspect those may be for harder difficulties.

You gotta up your strategy man.

1. You can alter each characters' combat tactics by either choosing from various presets or making your own custom slots

2. perks like rapid fire for archers fixes this. There was one sustained perk for 2 handed weapons I thought made the character absurdly slow but I simply switched it out with another perk.

3. Health poultices regenerate a certain chunk of health based on a characters constitution and the difficulty you're playing on.

4. For me anyway I find the pause button helpful for pre combat in order to set up my attacks. The pause button is also useful for selecting health poultices, lyrium, and poisons. I never used traps much, I suspect those may be for harder difficulties.

You gotta up your strategy man.

1. That still does not stop them from running all over the battlefield, ignoring my orders in a matter of seconds.

2. The perks are helpfull for the seconds that you actually have stamina, which also drains like a motherfucker

3. I know that they regenerate health, but the amount of poultices i have used is damn near insane

4. And i have tried to pause the game, but that makes the game a staggering play trough where i spend almost every second in pause mode because i have give them every order. So they wont go do something retarded.

I suggest having a healing mage at all time. Else poultices are gonna drain fast. Just set the mage up to heal ally when their health is at 50 % or lower and spec into all healing spells, spirit healer will be powerful as they can group heal and revive. Also remember to put self heal when health reach 50 %. But remember to keep an eye on the health still. You never know. And the healers mana.

1. That still does not stop them from running all over the battlefield, ignoring my orders in a matter of seconds.

2. The perks are helpfull for the seconds that you actually have stamina, which also drains like a motherfucker

3. I know that they regenerate health, but the amount of poultices i have used is damn near insane

4. And i have tried to pause the game, but that makes the game a staggering play trough where i spend almost every second in pause mode because i have give them every order. So they wont go do something retarded.

Yup. Unlike Skyrim, you actually have to USE your potions (and make/buy new ones)