• Welcome to the Angry Joe Show Army!

Join our community of gamers passionate about our community and our hobby! Whether it's playing, discussing, or watching games, regardless of platform, genre, or location, we have a place for you, always!

• PS4 Forum

The AJSA Playstation 4 Division: Game Nights and More!

The AJSA is on Playstation 4! Join us for weekly Game Nights with a selection of the best games the PS4 has to offer!

• XBO Forum

The AJSA Xbox One Division: We Got You Covered!

The AJSA Xbox One Division is ready to connect with you on XBox Live with a ton of events for the best Xbox games!

• News Archive

The Best News from the Best Sites, Every Week.

The AJSA News Collection Team is hard at work condensing a week's worth of news into one giant-sze digest for you to chew on and discuss! Links to source articles are always provided!

• More Info

The AJSA Expeditionary Force: Deploying to Play the Best PC Games!

The elite vanguard of the AJSA, the Expeditionary Force (EF) chooses a new PC game every week! Join us for weekly events and help decide if the game has a future in the AJSA.

• The Team

Streaming Now: The AJSA Stream Team

Joe can't stream every game, but our talented AJSA Stream Team covers a wide variety of games and personalities! Check them out, and show them some AJSA Love!

• The Tube

The AJSA Community YouTube Channel

Featuring news, gameplay clips, and more from the community! The Community is a chance to showcase the best moments in AJSA Gaming!

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bigcrap757

Games quality dropping?

30 posts in this topic

Hi everyone, I want to talk about something that I have been noticing over the past few years. It seems like the release dates between games are getting shorter and shorter, and there is more and more DLC for each game. It seems like the quality of games has gone down, while the quantity has gone up. I have also noticed that non-free to play games are starting to include unnecessary micro-transactions, and it just seems like they are trying to find more and more ways to suck money out of consumers. What do you think about this, and do you think the Angry Army should do anything about it?

RelentlessNick likes this

The evil corporate greed is something that indeed saddens me to see. But when you see the astounding lime-lights like The Last of Us, Bioshock Infinite, (Hopefully) Watch Dogs, it is worth the innumerable amount of boring cliche shooters, that do no more than appeal to the most casual of gamers.

Also I hate micro transactions, DLC is one thing (when done right), but MT's can go die in the ditch of bad gaming.

Vincentdante likes this

Not all games but they are a bunch of games following the CoD formula. And why do we need a FIFA game each year? With minimal changes that could be added through updates.

Not all games but they are a bunch of games following the CoD formula. And why do we need a FIFA game each year? With minimal changes that could be added through updates.

Same goes for Madden, Golf, MLB, NBA, NHL, Tennis, CoD, Assassins Creed, ect.

I'm getting sick of these games and their sequels coming out year after year.

Glaice likes this

To me it even feels like big named games are becoming worst.

Take Battlefield 4. Fun multiplayer i'm sure, but the campaign... not saying anything to ruin plot for those playing it but... I expected it to be a little bit longer then what they gave us.

I like modern games better, but that's just me. >u>

No not at all. There are a lot of great games being released once people stop focusing on nothing but AAA releases.

It seems like the quality of games has gone down, while the quantity has gone up.

It's certainly not as bad as it was in the past.

FullMetalBeats likes this

I agree with you on the topic of microtransactions, but not necessarily on DLC. I don't see DLC as a money grab (unless it's day one DLC, then it can go back to the pits of hell). DLC I see as an optional thing. I have no problem with DLC, tbh. Don't complain about something that doesn't directly affect your gameplay. For instance, a new map pack in Battlefield doesn't change the way the game plays (save for new guns, but that only applies to this example). Besides, this is their job, and they do have to make money, unless you're Rockstar, then you're fucking set. I'm interested to see this thread build up though, and I hope it's not going to end up a flame war.

It's true that shorter development times (imposed by the publishers sometimes) are affecting the quality of the games, a shame really. But if we compare the actual state of affairs to how the industry was some decades ago, I think the industry advanced a lot. I prefer modern games; mostly the ones coming out of the indie scene, there are a lot of very cool new concepts in there.

I agree that it seems nowadays like big development studios are rather lazy than tired, as we say in Dutch. Lots of unfinished games nowadays (Rome 2, GTA Online, CoD: Ghosts) and that's indeed a bad thing. Gamers need to make the developers understand that we don't take that by not buying those unfinished games. 

I think the Fall games are decreasing in quality, because that's where when the big corporations make the most money (Black Friday, Christmas). The more passionate devs seem to release their games in the Spring when companies like EA aren't sucking up all of the money. Some of the best games this year were released in Spring and some of the awesome upcoming games are going to be released in Spring.

There is one way to fight against it and it is called not supporting it with your wallet. I can agree that I have seen a decline in quality, especially the AA and AAA games for the most part, be it the sequelization (CoD) or the pointless yearly updates (NBA, FIFA). Most indie games seem to have a better mindset against the tactics big publishers have been doing in the past 5 years.

Well, right now the industry its doing what every other media will do when they want to make a big amount of cash, and its to repeat all the formulas in games that are proven to be the best to make money. This its why the CoDs, the Assassin Creed, and even the Battlefield series are getting repetitive, without making any kind of innovation or risk in order to keep the money flowing. Sure, you can still have some fun with these games, but the at the cost of seeing something new and exciting coming out. No big compañy will take the risk, unless they have to. 

Just look at what happen to de Resident Evil franchise, it became just abother blockbuster action game, in order to make it more atracctive in a market where action games and FPS are the ones that are making money...... 

lazordlord2 likes this

Well I think that games quality is not deteriorating but some BIG games(I.E cod and battlefield) are getting too comfortable in the spots they are in by just updating some graphics and advertising anything they sell soooo many copies and that frustrates me to the bone.

FullMetalBeats, I see what you're trying to say, but there are some ways that DLC can be damaging other than affecting gameplay. For example, sometimes game developers cut things out of games just so that they can sell it as DLC, thus making you pay more for less. This was the trend I was talking about. I am concerned that developers will continue to increase the amount of content they cut out of their games, which is totally unnecessary for them to make money.

I too am excited to see this thread grow.

Greta discussion so far guys! I would really like to hear more about what you think we should do to solve these problems you've mentioned (if you think there are problems, such as boycotts of games, companies, etc. Tell me what companies and games you think are causing the most problems and how you think the industry got to be this way. I also want to know if you think Angry Joe should do anything or organize boycotts and such. 

Thanks for posting.

Then kill them all...KILL THEM ALL! ALL OF THEM OFF!

GET THOSE DEVELOPER'S, AND DON'T FORGET ABOUT EA TOO!

Well to be honest I'm seeing better quality games in non AAA titles than I have in AAA titles best example is and this pains me greatly to say Batman Arkham Origins a game with so many bugs glitches and freezing errors it was clearly not ready for market at the time if this was  the only problem they had to deal with they could have postponed the launch of the title for a few weeks seeing as how I just recently gotten a patch for it two weeks after launch.

I think because many big game companies nowaday are run and lead by guys in the nice suits. These guys have no passion to gaming. They only thinks about money and numbers, thats make them greedy. I also heard some of them don't have any gaming experiences at all. They just expert to make profits not to make games.

I think we are mixing two things, lack of innovation and lack of quality, If a game is lacking in innovation it doesn't necessarily means it has poor quality, it gets boring after a certain amount of iterations, but they don't have bad quality, in fact they get a little better with every sequel just like battlefield 4 compared to battlefield 3 but as I said before, repeating witch such small changes gets reaaaaally boring (and yet Cod: Ghost sold more than gta V)

A very different thing is the bunch of unfinished games or games with cut out parts to be sold as day one DLC, those games are really the worst thing that the industry is doing right now and the best thing we can do is avoid them, and if the AJSA gets strong enough we can try to boycott them.

Nah games today are much better then the atari games  B)

BLASPHEMY!!!!! Atari was the greatest generation EVER!!!

/Saracasm

Got to say that games these days in comparisonw ith games for the, Nintendo 64 or Playstation 1 have certainly lost the fun factor.

I miss games such as Conkers Bad Fur Day, 007 Goldeneye and Biohazard 1, 2 & 3. Games that didn't require DLC to be good and were fun reguardless of their age and technology.

Games these days employ the "Stop, Money Time" tactic where if you get it out quick you can get the money to fix it later & if it doesn't sell well then oh well leave it to rot and get a new game out instead.

I like older games too E.G Halo 2, AVP 2, Star wars Starfighter, SWG, Halo 1, Blackthrone and lots of others.

I blame the deadlines and rushing big publishers force on their devs. They want their game to be released before the competition, to maximize profits, because they fear that the competitor will otherwise snag their sales. Case in point: I read an article about Battlefield 4 rushed through the Quality Assurance team to get it out two weeks before CoD: Ghosts. (if anyone wants a link, just ask). That explains, how so many game-breaking bugs got in the game. It doesn't necessarily mean that the game itself is bad, but that it was half-assed in effort to get it to the markets. Overtime working is common, AKA "crunching", when the dev teams works overtime with no overtime pay. Rushing can be seen in many games these days, just because the devs fail to see to the deadline. They slap the "finished"-logo on, and hope to patch them later on, before the massive shitstorm raises. 

The innovation thing, what lazorlord is also true. These days devs cling to their classic formulas, because they are afraid that the masses won't like the new ideas they make. CoD has been pretty much the same game from 2007, and it is one of the top-selling games of all time. People buy it, because they know what they are going to get. The same solid gameplay, with some minor innovation. People buy sports game for the exact same reason. Battlefield also has the own formula, 64 players, large maps, vehicular warfare. It is more of a true sequels for console gamers, who jump from PS3 & Xbox 360 to 4 & One, because they get to see upgraded visuals, 64 players and 60 FPS, meanwhile us PC gamers probably see it as BF3.5, because we have had those things before. We had 64 players in 3. We had 60 FPS in every freaking Battlefield ever made. We had 1080 too! But I', happy to see our console brothers finally experience THE Battlefield experience with the new consoles.

The new consoles will mean good times for all of us. No longer will the PS3 & Xbox 360 be the rock tied to our feet, when considering the games. The "lowest common denominator" is now the PS4 & Xbox One, and their new specs allow for us to develop better games, with increased graphical fidelity and larger words. Earlier the console devs were tied to 256 Mb of RAM, now they have a whole lot more at their disposal. Porting will be easier, because the consoles are pretty much PC tech, with x86 architechure. We will probably see much better PC ports in the future, though the optimal is that the PC version is the lead version, and after that made for the consoles.

iRocket out.

lordvetynari likes this