• Welcome to the Angry Joe Show Army!

Join our community of gamers passionate about our community and our hobby! Whether it's playing, discussing, or watching games, regardless of platform, genre, or location, we have a place for you, always!

• PS4 Forum

The AJSA Playstation 4 Division: Game Nights and More!

The AJSA is on Playstation 4! Join us for weekly Game Nights with a selection of the best games the PS4 has to offer!

• XBO Forum

The AJSA Xbox One Division: We Got You Covered!

The AJSA Xbox One Division is ready to connect with you on XBox Live with a ton of events for the best Xbox games!

• News Archive

The Best News from the Best Sites, Every Week.

The AJSA News Collection Team is hard at work condensing a week's worth of news into one giant-sze digest for you to chew on and discuss! Links to source articles are always provided!

• More Info

The AJSA Expeditionary Force: Deploying to Play the Best PC Games!

The elite vanguard of the AJSA, the Expeditionary Force (EF) chooses a new PC game every week! Join us for weekly events and help decide if the game has a future in the AJSA.

• The Team

Streaming Now: The AJSA Stream Team

Joe can't stream every game, but our talented AJSA Stream Team covers a wide variety of games and personalities! Check them out, and show them some AJSA Love!

• The Tube

The AJSA Community YouTube Channel

Featuring news, gameplay clips, and more from the community! The Community is a chance to showcase the best moments in AJSA Gaming!

Cap0bvious

Is it advisable to move Xbox Live regions to get cheaper games?

11 posts in this topic

I live in Australia, where on average we pay upwards of 70% more for video games on average than in the US, despite the fact that we actually have less disposable income per annum on average than in the US (refer to below chart):

i4w0OkQ.png

Anyway, I want to change my Xbox Live account region from Australia to the United States so I can access cheaper games. What should I know before doing this and potentially screwing up my Xbox Live account, and what would you advise me to do if you have done something similar in the past/recently?

I should probably open this by saying I haven't consoled since the PS1, so take my word with a grain of salt.

Apparently people do this in Brazil all the time, a friend of mine was talking about how he has an account based in India to make cheaper purchases. They don't check your IP or even your card, around here anyway. It's technically not illegal but you are lying, in regions where the government overtaxes your ass constantly like Australia or Brazil I can see how it's perfectly justifiable though.

doing so, you're effectively tax dodging the gov in your own country. if caught, which is unlikely i admit, it could go down as fraud. if it does, that would hinder things in life like getting a job, credit agencies not willing to lend you money for say a mortgage... credit card... loan and so on.

doing so, you're effectively tax dodging the gov in your own country. if caught, which is unlikely i admit, it could go down as fraud. if it does, that would hinder things in life like getting a job, credit agencies not willing to lend you money for say a mortgage... credit card... loan and so on.

The tax office doesn't give a shit about GST evasion in the context of online purchases. Besides, I don't think the ATO even collects GST for digital purchases, it's generally only required if something is physically shipped into the country.

I should probably open this by saying I haven't consoled since the PS1, so take my word with a grain of salt.

Apparently people do this in Brazil all the time, a friend of mine was talking about how he has an account based in India to make cheaper purchases. They don't check your IP or even your card, around here anyway. It's technically not illegal but you are lying, in regions where the government overtaxes your ass constantly like Australia or Brazil I can see how it's perfectly justifiable though.

It's actually not a taxation issue in Australia, it's more of an issue with developers charging more because they can. The 10% goods and services tax doesn't cover the markup we have to pay for games in most cases, and it doesn't even apply for strictly digitally distributed products.

why do you get charged so much?

i checked here:

https://www.steamprices.com/au/app/49520/borderlands-2

you're paying 50% more than US customers, and nearly 20% more than UK customers - and the disgusting thing for you is in the UK that price includes the VAT / tax we have to pay when buying any games be it digital, from an online store, or from a shop on the street.

i re-confirmed that with myself just now on steam. i added borderlands 2 to my basket, added my card details in, went to the final page before buying and it says right there infront of me: total £19.99, includes VAT where applicable. so not only is it 20% less than your price, but it includes the 20% standard VAT we have to pay here as well.

my only real solution tbh would be move away from australia. your prices are seriously diabolical. i feel sorry for you. 

why do you get charged so much?

i checked here:

https://www.steamprices.com/au/app/49520/borderlands-2

you're paying 50% more than US customers, and nearly 20% more than UK customers - and the disgusting thing for you is in the UK that price includes the VAT / tax we have to pay when buying any games be it digital, from an online store, or from a shop on the street.

i re-confirmed that with myself just now on steam. i added borderlands 2 to my basket, added my card details in, went to the final page before buying and it says right there infront of me: total £19.99, includes VAT where applicable. so not only is it 20% less than your price, but it includes the 20% standard VAT we have to pay here as well.

my only real solution tbh would be move away from australia. your prices are seriously diabolical. i feel sorry for you. 

I could justify it if the charge was actually proportionate to the service received, taxation, customs and shipping, but it just isn't. At least you didn't raise the "YOU GUIZ HAVE HYER MIMUMUM WAG3!!1" argument.

I could justify it if the charge was actually proportionate to the service received, taxation, customs and shipping, but it just isn't. At least you didn't raise the "YOU GUIZ HAVE HYER MIMUMUM WAG3!!1" argument.

i guess some countries just have different cost of living problems than others. you seem to have unfair prices on electronic entertainment products compared to your average wages.

in UK we have it much cheaper when it comes to these things, but there are people going to college / uni and coming out with qualifications and go into their supposed higher paid jobs and are getting paid less money than a delivery driver or a retail / supermarket worker. so in other words, despite prices for games being a lot cheaper here... a lot of people still can't afford any luxury.

it's the norm here now... people living inside their bank overdrafts, effectively living on endless debt. any game or thing i buy doesn't come out of my own pocket, it comes from my bank - i just have to manage and play with the funding i am given.

i would rather pay more money that i actually have myself, for things, than pay for things very cheaply but still have no money of my own. if it werent for my bank and my overdraft i would be out on the streets homeless. if british banks collapsed, the entire country would be wiped out, back to the middle ages.

As a Canadian I feel for you. We are also use to price gouging and the industry playing the blame game on the government. Why am I paying up to 30% more than Americans for Canadian manufactured goods if tariff is the problem? 

But back to your question, I wouldn't worry about the government coming to get you but instead you getting banned for providing false information. Microsoft doesn't like people taking advantage of the system.

If you think you can get away with it, I don't see why you shouldn't do it. I doubt that the Government is going to go after you for video game purchases, even if it's for tax reasons. Heck, PSN and Steam doesn't seem to be charging HST, compared to XBL and Origin here in Canada.

As for Microsoft catching on, well if this guy was able to get refunded $10.00 for complaining that he overpayed for Destiny I don't think you have to worry about it.

If you think you can get away with it, I don't see why you shouldn't do it. I doubt that the Government is going to go after you for video game purchases, even if it's for tax reasons. Heck, PSN and Steam doesn't seem to be charging HST, compared to XBL and Origin here in Canada.

As for Microsoft catching on, well if this guy was able to get refunded $10.00 for complaining that he overpayed for Destiny I don't think you have to worry about it.

Given that the Australian Government recently had an inquiry into the pricing of online products in the country, I doubt that they'd care in the slightest.