• Welcome to the Angry Joe Show Army!

Join our community of gamers passionate about our community and our hobby! Whether it's playing, discussing, or watching games, regardless of platform, genre, or location, we have a place for you, always!

• PS4 Forum

The AJSA Playstation 4 Division: Game Nights and More!

The AJSA is on Playstation 4! Join us for weekly Game Nights with a selection of the best games the PS4 has to offer!

• XBO Forum

The AJSA Xbox One Division: We Got You Covered!

The AJSA Xbox One Division is ready to connect with you on XBox Live with a ton of events for the best Xbox games!

• News Archive

The Best News from the Best Sites, Every Week.

The AJSA News Collection Team is hard at work condensing a week's worth of news into one giant-sze digest for you to chew on and discuss! Links to source articles are always provided!

• More Info

The AJSA Expeditionary Force: Deploying to Play the Best PC Games!

The elite vanguard of the AJSA, the Expeditionary Force (EF) chooses a new PC game every week! Join us for weekly events and help decide if the game has a future in the AJSA.

• The Team

Streaming Now: The AJSA Stream Team

Joe can't stream every game, but our talented AJSA Stream Team covers a wide variety of games and personalities! Check them out, and show them some AJSA Love!

• The Tube

The AJSA Community YouTube Channel

Featuring news, gameplay clips, and more from the community! The Community is a chance to showcase the best moments in AJSA Gaming!

Gone too

Forum censorship and my take on it

6 posts in this topic

Given the latest outbursts in what I consider borderline censorship of various threads and especially the GamerGate thread I feel like saying some things.

Ive never done a drama infused good bye thread and maybe if Im not banned this isnt one. However I cant help but feel the angry army is getting kind of hypocritical. The idea as stated by Joe himself was to have a group of people who fought for consumers rights in gaming and AJ's whole schtick is doing exactly that. To remove the biggest consumer revolt in gaming ever from the forum is not great.

That and some of the latest choices in moderarion make me sad and I thought I should express that, take it as feedback if you will. If anyone wants to talk or play something or anything I'll be on Steam @ auronkast.

This thread made me look into the last page of the #gamergate thread to have a look at it.
All the people were extremely civilized with each other and the reason for locking the thread is bs.
As such, I emailed the threadlocker about this demanding he makes up an better reason because there were NO Valid ones for locking it.

Yeah, it felt a bit abrupt to just close the thread and (as far as I know and saw) delete any #GG threads that pop up. I don't understand why close it and prevent speaking about it here. It's not because it's a political thing. I mean, it is, but we're allowed to speak of politics as long as it greatly pertains to gaming. Which it did.

And it's not because it got derailed or trolled. I've derailed and trolled enough things to see a failed thread that should be dealt with, and the GG thread wasn't one of them. All it was people sharing information and thoughts. All things considering, it being about a heated topic, it was doing quite well. And as Rainversey said, it was civil.

Are you guys doing this so we don't end up attracting unwanted attention or something? Or is this because of Angry Joe himself and his personal thoughts on GamerGate? If that's the case, then lemme pull this out of context from our CoC:

This community isnt about me, its about you guys and your combined power! 

-Angry Joe

11.jpg

Mods, don't lock/delete this thread and ban us

This thread made me look into the last page of the #gamergate thread to have a look at it.

All the people were extremely civilized with each other and the reason for locking the thread is bs.

As such, I emailed the threadlocker about this demanding he makes up an better reason because there were NO Valid ones for locking it.

Obviously you haven't read all the 30 or 40 pages there. There have been so MANY reports of various members reporting others, some tried derailing or trolling the thread. So many posts were hidden by mods so that others wouldn't reply to them so  that it doesn't start a chain of wars because of one thread. 

The thread looks cleaner now and looks like it hasn't been derailed but that's because mods either hid the posts or warned the member not to do it. 

The choice to lock the thread didn't come up once, mods and commanders discussed about closing it long ago every time one or 2 reports came from the thread but they kept on giving it a chance for months until they just all got fed up. Almost every day there was a report from that thread. Last 2 months the whole forums were peaceful. Almost 0 reports from all the forums and subforms but the only reports that ever came were from the GG thread.

Don't forget that talking about GG is forbidden in so many large gaming communities for same reasons it was locked here. What tonsoffun wrote before locking it is true. You think it wasn't derailed but as I said, it's because mods kept on hiding all provocative posts. I myself hid 4 alone from a SINGLE member. 

Yes, many were civilized and we are grateful for that but without moderating that thread would've gone to hell long ago. 

We keep on locking all #GG threads now for the same reason. If you ever want to discuss GG, you can always talk about in PMs, Steam, Skype or whatever, just because we don't allow open GG threads on AJSA anymore, doesn't mean members aren't allowed to discuss it elsewhere. 

Given the latest outbursts in what I consider borderline censorship of various threads and especially the GamerGate thread I feel like saying some things.

Ive never done a drama infused good bye thread and maybe if Im not banned this isnt one. However I cant help but feel the angry army is getting kind of hypocritical. The idea as stated by Joe himself was to have a group of people who fought for consumers rights in gaming and AJ's whole schtick is doing exactly that. To remove the biggest consumer revolt in gaming ever from the forum is not great.

That and some of the latest choices in moderarion make me sad and I thought I should express that, take it as feedback if you will. If anyone wants to talk or play something or anything I'll be on Steam @ auronkast.

Remember that any feedback about moderation or if you have a complaint, you can PM Dogfish or contact someone in the high command.

That's all I'm going to say as a moderator here as I don't have big clearance and I'm sure someone in higher command can explain the situation better.

But all I'm going to say is whenever a thread is locked or banned, there is a reason for it, no matter what you might think. It's not like a moderator or someone says, "I'm going to lock this just because I can."

There is huge discussions about it behind the scenes, risks of closing it and so on so it's not an easy choice when the command brings down such actions.

Closing and banning a thread like the #GG thread didn't come at a easy cost but the command took the risk and did it. I'm sure some of the higher ups already recieved hate mail for it and you think they enjoy that? Think again. 

I also have to agree, the forum policing is starting to look very heavy handed to me. There really wasn't anything wrong with the GG thread that I could see. People were passionate about their opinions, but hardly trolling and being nasty to each other. I've nervous about putting up my opinions that are, shall we say, "well of centre" because I afraid of getting in trouble.

First as Spartan said, you should all well know by now that if you have an issue with moderation you take it up with the Mod commander, Dogfish, in PMs and not in the open forum. This has been the policy for nearly a year now. That being said I will stop the mods from giving you a warning to address this issue one final time, and the last time.

This is a GAMING community to play games with people, with a theme and mascot/figurehead that is AngryJoe. All decisions in moderation etc. are made by those who run this site and have absolutely nothing to do with AngryJoe. We are allowed all discretion in deciding what can and cannot be discussed here. We have made it clear over the last year that political threads and those that cause controversy will not be allowed. I have twice now overruled the better judgment of the officers of this community to allow you guys threads to discuss topics normally considered off limits.

First was the thread on piracy, some points were brought up on both sides, discussion occurred then it delved into illegal and derailing territory. Second has been this GG thread, honestly the only reason it was allowed was so that the moderators wouldn't be forced to shut down tons of threads everyday, so we concentrated it to one. Everyone had a chance to say their peace, and if they didn't there are plenty of other places to discuss this issue.

This COMMUNITY is not the place for this kind of discussion. The end. You are free to stay and play games or find a community that allows you to discuss what it is that you want to discuss. From this point forward any threads on GG or censorship will be tossed so that the rest of us that want to PLAY GAMES in a GAMING COMMUNITY can do so.