• Welcome to the Angry Joe Show Army!

Join our community of gamers passionate about our community and our hobby! Whether it's playing, discussing, or watching games, regardless of platform, genre, or location, we have a place for you, always!

• PS4 Forum

The AJSA Playstation 4 Division: Game Nights and More!

The AJSA is on Playstation 4! Join us for weekly Game Nights with a selection of the best games the PS4 has to offer!

• XBO Forum

The AJSA Xbox One Division: We Got You Covered!

The AJSA Xbox One Division is ready to connect with you on XBox Live with a ton of events for the best Xbox games!

• News Archive

The Best News from the Best Sites, Every Week.

The AJSA News Collection Team is hard at work condensing a week's worth of news into one giant-sze digest for you to chew on and discuss! Links to source articles are always provided!

• More Info

The AJSA Expeditionary Force: Deploying to Play the Best PC Games!

The elite vanguard of the AJSA, the Expeditionary Force (EF) chooses a new PC game every week! Join us for weekly events and help decide if the game has a future in the AJSA.

• The Team

Streaming Now: The AJSA Stream Team

Joe can't stream every game, but our talented AJSA Stream Team covers a wide variety of games and personalities! Check them out, and show them some AJSA Love!

• The Tube

The AJSA Community YouTube Channel

Featuring news, gameplay clips, and more from the community! The Community is a chance to showcase the best moments in AJSA Gaming!

23 posts in this topic

Being a Gamer. 

What does that mean. Most of you will ask yourselves the easy Q's first with simple things like " It's be a good sport in games even if you lost." "Being the best in video games then your buddys at school." To kickass and take names." 

No, none of that.

Being a Gamer is going to be a serious  talk about Gamer's philosophy of/on games. Like what they like in a game and why they like it in the first place. Now this is going to be my own observations of games, Gamers, and media of games. To see what makes them tick. To see if the is a way to view the people. Who want a game that is what they want but can not play because there is no market for it, they made it in a why that you don't like it, or that it was made but you cant play it anymore of a number of reasons. I know the feeling of all those and it sucks. But, if this works out I can see games in the eyes of someone else and learn why the do as such. As for me I love games of all types. MMO, RPG, FPS, Fantasy, and so on. But those are still my views, not the person on the other end of the planet. So I'm going to need help form all of you in the AJSA. I don't care if you are new to the site (I'v be hear a week an 1/2) or a vet. I will not chose based on what your place is on the site. I will treat you if you were Joe himself (not like i know how that is) even if you joined today and are reading this.

So to Start with... I'm going to let you decide. I'm going to wait a while for this to go up, get notice by people who are interested. So you can do what ever you want with this topic. Comment let me hear what you think or pass it around see what others think.

That is it. So laterz and as always have fun.

Love

Motta, Abraham

Sol Omega likes this

Your post is quite difficult to understand... are you basically asking us to tell you what we think makes a "gamer"?

Sorry I used notepad to write everything down and it was to much to put in on one topic. So I shorten it a bit to a summary. It is going to be a number of posts on the forums that i call Being a Gamer. im going to talk about subjects that involve games. People like and want. Games Rated by the ESRB and review by sites like IGN, Gamespot, and many people on Youtube. (Such as Joe). And a ton of other stuff that falls under games and/or Gamers. And to answer your questions. In a way yes.... I want to see games in the eyes of other people. Some people have a deeper reason why they play Video Games then you or I. Like, people that mostly play one kind of game like WoW (MMO) or CoD/Battlefield (FPS). I just want to understand people likes, wants, and maybe even needs to play video games. Like me, I used hate myself a lot because who i was and still am at times. Video games help me get away form it. Games was and are still at times my escape goat from life. So i would like to see it in a different view a fresh perspective one might say. I sorry if i didn't explain it well i was in a rush at the time of putting everything together at the end. Please read this as well. If I didn't put everything up at the time again im sorry for not being clear. writing isn't my greatest means of talking, but I have no other means of doing so at this moment to people on the forums. Also, this is no means of gaining any large amount of likes or being notice by people out side the site or bring any large amount of unwanted problems to the site.

Sorry I used notepad to write everything down and it was to much to put in on one topic.

So I shorten it a bit to a summary. It is going to be a number of posts on the forums that i call Being a Gamer. im going to talk about subjects that involve games. People like and want. Games Rated by the ESRB and review by sites like IGN, Gamespot, and many people on Youtube. (Such as Joe). And a ton of other stuff that falls under games and/or Gamers.

And to answer your questions. In a way yes.... I want to see games in the eyes of other people. Some people have a deeper reason why they play Video Games then you or I. Like, people that mostly play one kind of game like WoW (MMO) or CoD/Battlefield (FPS). I just want to understand people likes, wants, and maybe even needs to play video games. Like me, I used hate myself a lot because who i was and still am at times. Video games help me get away form it. Games was and are still at times my escape goat from life. So i would like to see it in a different view a fresh perspective one might say.

I sorry if i didn't explain it well i was in a rush at the time of putting everything together at the end. Please read this as well. If I didn't put everything up at the time again im sorry for not being clear. writing isn't my greatest means of talking, but I have no other means of doing so at this moment to people on the forums. Also, this is no means of gaining any large amount of likes or being notice by people out side the site or bring any large amount of unwanted problems to the site.

Just spaced out your post into organized paragraphs.

Personally, I think a gamer is someone who wants to play video games. For whatever reason.

However, my... elitist ways can't help but dislike people that fit into this:

ee4fec19f1956414f57e68a944c13829c32f493e

But that's a personal thing. They're still gamers. I just don't like them as much.

And I'd be opening a can of "Don't open," when discussing what constitutes as a "hardcore" gamer, so I'll just stop.

2and900 likes this

Personally I don't consider myself a gamer. I like to play games, a lot, but that's it. I'm in no way connected to the gaming industry aside of being a consumer of said industry's products. In my opinion a gamer is someone who does it professionally. Like top Starcraft 2 players. People who actually make a living off gaming.

In my opinion a gamer is someone who does it professionally. People who actually make a living off gaming.

...Aren't those actually called Pro-gamers? Like... a professional gamer and stuff...?

...Aren't those actually called Pro-gamers? Like... a professional gamer and stuff...?

That's what people who can't play properly use as an excuse. :D Like me. :D

It's p-ownin dem n00bs in dat multiplaya

Copied over from my Twitter

A 'Gamer' is a person who plays video games. Regardless of platform or complexity of the game.

Meaning people who only play games like Candy Crush Saga or Solitaire do count as Gamers.

Just cause something is extremely casual. Doesn't make it any less of a game.
fridgeracer likes this

Copied over from my Twitter

A 'Gamer' is a person who plays video games. Regardless of platform or complexity of the game.

Meaning people who only play games like Candy Crush Saga or Solitaire do count as Gamers.

Just cause something is extremely casual. Doesn't make it any less of a game.

i disagree. a gamer is someone who plays video games, and yes you are right - regardless of platform or complexity.

no, people who play things like candy crush and solitaire are not gamers. candy crush for 1 is not a video game, in terms of challenging the player with many obstacles that must be skillfully and wittingly overcome. it's a microtransaction devasted app, that addicts the user into it's process purely to make the company that made candy crush as much money as possible - not to give the person playing a "gaming" experience.

solitaire is not a game, in the sense of a video game. it's a card game yes, but in most cases, people who play a lot of card games are not gamers, the official name would be Gamblers. whether it's gambling money, time, clothes (if it were strip poker), pringles, alcohol, bets on who will win or not... end of the day it's gambling. you gamble your odds on games such as these in order to win, you don't win out of skill or witt like in a video game, you win out of pure luck or by lying to your opponents, which is in effect - gambling, not gaming.

again i don't see eye to eye. casual games in my opinion are games invented for people who whined that they didn't have the skills or the dexterity to play normal video games throughout the 90s and the early 00s. so, companies captalised on this complaint and simply made games of all sorts, very easy for these people to play. they get to play just like all the other gamers who have skills and dexterity and witts, but don't need any of it - they just push buttons, win instantly, and feel gratified. that's not video gaming to me. any game that holds your hand like that isn't a proper game to me.

finally though, i am not saying this to spite you or cause an argument. that's just my way of seeing it all. if you dont agree or dont want to agree that's fine - everyone's different and everyone has a different perspective.

again i don't see eye to eye. casual games in my opinion are games invented for people who whined that they didn't have the skills or the dexterity to play normal video games throughout the 90s and the early 00s. so, companies captalised on this complaint and simply made games of all sorts, very easy for these people to play. they get to play just like all the other gamers who have skills and dexterity and witts, but don't need any of it - they just push buttons, win instantly, and feel gratified. that's not video gaming to me. any game that holds your hand like that isn't a proper game to me.

I totally get what you're saying, man. I don't know why people feel the need to have such expansive definitions of gamer. I drive my car every day, but I wouldn't identify myself as a driver. I've played baseball, but I don't consider myself a baseball player. I can cook a meal, but I'm certainly not a chef. There's always some amount of skill or dedication required before you get a "label" for yourself.

I think games are the same way. I never sat down and thought about requirements (and I still won't), but I don't consider the people playing nothing but Candy Crush and Wii Bowling to be "gamers."

I still think some people's definitions are silly =P...But I'm sure we all do. Anyway for me it's simply someone who invests in a significant portion of their time towards gaming. It doesn't have to be professionally since e-sports are non-existent in some areas of the world, but just enough so that it would likely be the first or second thing that comes to your mind if you were stuck on a desert island with nothing to do for the rest of your life yet are somehow fed and such (electricity and obtaining software and stuff aside, I'm not talking realistic here). 

And I don't think casual games were made for people who "whined" that they weren't good enough to play games too (that's an incredibly arrogant blanket definition of casual gamers btw), but they were made in retrospect to the freak occurrence of the sims being one of the best selling games back then, and people realized it sold so damn well because its market appeal was NOT your ordinary gamer, but many non-gamers. So casual games were made with similar aspect such as non competitive atmosphere, relaxed pace, etc, yet with more potential time to sink than solitaire or whatever.

no, people who play things like candy crush and solitaire are not gamers. candy crush for 1 is not a video game, in terms of challenging the player with many obstacles that must be skillfully and wittingly overcome. it's a microtransaction devasted app, that addicts the user into it's process purely to make the company that made candy crush as much money as possible - not to give the person playing a "gaming" experience.

My mother, aunt and older cousins play Candy Crush and haven't spent a single cent. People's skills on anything vary, and to these people this game does provide some form of challenge. My mom even hands me her iPad to try and get through a level, and even I can't figure it out most of the time. So, I don't buy your stance that Candy Crush isn't a video game by the characteristics of being a Microtransaction Devastated App, or Challenging the Player. Have you played any of the later levels? They need some quick thinking, and planning ahead to see which ones you have to match to maximize the block elimination in the limited number of turns you have. You may as well say Tetris isn't challenging.

I find opinions such as this, dismissing other people because they only play certain types of games, or saying that the video games that they play aren't true "Video Games" to be exclusionary and elitist. It also falls under the "No True Scotsman" Fallacy. However, it is your opinion and you're entitled to it.

video game: noun

: an electronic game in which players control images on a television or computer screen

Source: Merriam-Websters

Sol Omega likes this

My mother, aunt and older cousins play Candy Crush and haven't spent a single cent. People's skills on anything vary, and to these people this game does provide some form of challenge. My mom even hands me her iPad to try and get through a level, and even I can't figure it out most of the time. So, I don't buy your stance that Candy Crush isn't a video game by the characteristics of being a Microtransaction Devastated App, or Challenging the Player. Have you played any of the later levels? They need some quick thinking, and planning ahead to see which ones you have to match to maximize the block elimination in the limited number of turns you have. You may as well say Tetris isn't challenging.

I find opinions such as this, dismissing other people because they only play certain types of games, or saying that the video games that they play aren't true "Video Games" to be exclusionary and elitist. I think it also qualifies for the "No True Scotsman Fallacy". However, it is your opinion and you're entitled to it.

00b6252cfc9950e3483d9562def04805b177dedb

00b6252cfc9950e3483d9562def04805b177dedb

I know you're trying to make a joke, but I still personally think that the entire idea of Hardcore and Casual is completely obsolete and only stands to divide the gaming community. These labels are something doesn't need anymore. It's as dated and unnecessary an idea as Fanboyism or PC Elitism. "Hardcore" shouldn't be looking down at the "Casuals" or saying they don't matter.

Sol Omega likes this

I know you're trying to make a joke, but I still personally think that the entire idea of Hardcore and Casual is completely obsolete and only stands to divide the gaming community. These labels are something doesn't need anymore. It's as dated and unnecessary an idea as Fanboyism or PC Elitism. "Hardcore" shouldn't be looking down at the "Casuals" or saying they don't matter.

I believe this discussion is a large grey area, and there isn't a simple cut/dry way to remedy this. Both sides are at fault.

"Hardcore" and "elitism" and "casual" will always be a thing. And there will always be a form of those. Both in gaming and real life (but that's a broader subject, so I'll let that one slide). A thing we just have to put up with. However, I believe these are labels that we need.

Frankly, it all boils down on being a decent human being and showing each other respect or not in/about video games. In fact, you could wrangle in "toxicity" into this discussion, since they're kinda the same thing.

A douche is a douche, doesn't matter what name you give them. A douche can be an experienced elite player, or just a casual player. An elitist and a flithy casul, respectively. And don't just count only the "hardcore" players either. There "casuals" that look down on the hardcore players. You know, "Has 900 hours on [insert game]? What a no-life loser, must be unemployed and live in his mother's basement."

Although every so often I do enjoy the good old "I tell you hwat, back in my day, I had to party with 15 other people to just even dent this boss' hp bar if we even managed to survive the dungeon. Now-a-days you can just solo him... [insert disgruntled old person noise]." But that's not being elitist. That's being experienced!

Kinda relevant comic is kinda relevant

]large.jpg

There is a difference: the process and reasoning behind it.

I believe this discussion is a large grey area, and there isn't a simple cut/dry way to remedy this. Both sides are at fault.

"Hardcore" and "elitism" and "casual" will always be a thing. And there will always be a form of those. Both in gaming and real life (but that's a broader subject, so I'll let that one slide). A thing we just have to put up with. However, I believe these are labels that we need.

Frankly, it all boils down on being a decent human being and showing each other respect or not in/about video games. In fact, you could wrangle in "toxicity" into this discussion, since they're kinda the same thing.

A douche is a douche, doesn't matter what name you give them. A douche can be an experienced elite player, or just a casual player. An elitist and a flithy casul, respectively. And don't just count only the "hardcore" players either. There "casuals" that look down on the hardcore players. You know, "Has 900 hours on [insert game]? What a no-life loser, must be unemployed and live in his mother's basement."

Although every so often I do enjoy the good old "I tell you hwat, back in my day, I had to party with 15 other people to just even dent this boss' hp bar if we even managed to survive the dungeon. Now-a-days you can just solo him... [insert disgruntled old person noise]." But that's not being elitist. That's being experienced!

There will of course be a-holes. However, the "Hardcore" and "Casual" labels themselves are problematic since they're complete arbitrary. There is no clear, universal accepted definition for these terms. Also, as they're used now, they serve to only exclude, or put down one group from another. In the end, everyone who plays a Video Game is a gamer, which means these two labels don't even matter.

]large.jpg

I'm unclear as to what that last pair is supposed to be. Also, the two columns might as well be "Filthy Casual" and "L33T H4RDC0R3".

There will of course be a-holes. However, the "Hardcore" and "Casual" labels themselves are problematic since they're complete arbitrary. There is no clear, universal accepted definition for these terms. Also, as they're used now, they serve to only exclude, or put down one group from another.

In the end, everyone who plays a Video Game is a gamer, which means these two labels don't even matter.

I'm unclear as to what that last pair is supposed to be.

Except there are universally accepted definitions, and being an asshole is in of itself arbitrary. You're also describing what assholes do: put-down.

And there are different kinds of gamers. I'm not saying because Person A plays Pissy Birds to kill time isn't a gamer. I'm saying Person A is a different gamer from someone like Person B who plays JRPGs for the story. That and I'm saying Person A-1 is better, more experienced than Persona A, therefore Person A-1 must be experienced... committed... Hardcore.

Labels do matter in this case.

hard core

noun
noun: hardcore
  1. the most active, committed, or doctrinaire members of a group or movement.

ca·su·al

adjective

1. 1.
    relaxed and unconcerned.

2. 2.
    not regular or permanent, in particular.

As for the last two, it was mostly a funny comic I found and decided to post because I thought it had some relevance to the thread, but I guess not... sad face

Except there are universally accepted definitions, and being an asshole is in of itself arbitrary. You're also describing what assholes do.

hard core

noun
noun: hardcore
  1. the most active, committed, or doctrinaire members of a group or movement.

ca·su·al

adjective
  1. 1.
    relaxed and unconcerned.

2. 2.
    not regular or permanent, in particular.

Except those can apply to pretty much everyone who plays a game. They may be more active in certain games, and play others, as per definition, casually. Then there are those who, again as per definition, aren't as active in anything, but spend as much time as they can to one or more games. The amount of activity and devotion varies from how much you're actually allowed. If someone really wants to spend more time playing video games or even has somewhat of a passion for it, but their lifestyle just limits them to a casual amount of activity for it, what does that make them?

It's simpler to just go under one label, and at least try to unify the community. If any further division for "Gamer" is necessary, it's probably just to distinguish what platform they choose to play on.

As for the last two, it was mostly a funny comic I found and decided to post because I thought it had some relevance to the thread, but I guess not...

I was actually asking what game the last two panels were showing. The first two were Fighting Game, next was FPS, and the last two, I have no idea.

I'm not entirely sure.

I know they're sticky proximity bombs.... Another fps?

But back to the topic... I'd quote you, but quoting is broken atm. Copy paste into quote box!

If someone really wants to spend more time playing video games or even has somewhat of a passion for it, but their life just isn't allowing that, then does that automatically make them a casual?

Now we're just throwing what ifs and specifics at each other like it's no tomorrow.

It all depends, really.

As far as I'm concerned, if you're not a butt-head, cool. Play the game, get along, don't be dumb, respect each other, have fun.

I just use labels to tell people in general apart, just like how people use labels to tell games in general apart. I mean, if video games only had one genre which would be "Video Game", god help you sort through XBLA/Steam/PSN games.

If any further division for "Gamer" is necessary, it's probably just to distinguish what platform they choose to play on.

So the PC 'litists and console fan boys can have their labels, but not hardcore gamers or casuals?

I jest (you "Forum ELITE"), but I really like labels (makes things simpler). I put a lot of time and effort into my God Tier forum status. As much power that it holds... which is probably none.... I'd probably ramble on, but if I did that, people would start to see my head crawling up my ass. I made my point clear. I get your point. All is well that ends well. Good game, no re.

Mr_E_Meatshield likes this

As far as I'm concerned, if you're not a butt-head, cool. Play the game, get along, don't be dumb, respect each other, have fun.

Exactly, in the end, this is the only thing that should matter to anyone when it comes to gaming. Doesn't matter what you're playing, how you're playing, what you're playing on, we're playing for the fun of it. Different kinds of fun, but fun none-the-less. Labels like "Hardcore" or "Casual" doesn't matter, and shouldn't matter.

So the PC 'litists and console fan boys can have their labels, but not hardcore gamers or casuals?

That's why these labels themselves are troublesome. 

I jest (you "Forum ELITE"), but I really like labels (makes things simpler). I put a lot of time and effort into my God Tier forum status. As much power that it holds... which is probably none.... I'd probably ramble on, but if I did that, people would start to see my head crawling up my ass. I made my point clear. I get your point. All is well that ends well. Good game, no re.

Omega Sempai has denied me the chance to also make a joke about Forum Ranking. Darn no life God Rank BAKA!!!! :P

I'm not entirely sure.

I know they're sticky proximity bombs.... Another fps?

Ahh I see it now, they're the stuff the Demoman shoots, still Team Fortress 2 then.

Sol Omega likes this