• Welcome to the Angry Joe Show Army!

Join our community of gamers passionate about our community and our hobby! Whether it's playing, discussing, or watching games, regardless of platform, genre, or location, we have a place for you, always!

• PS4 Forum

The AJSA Playstation 4 Division: Game Nights and More!

The AJSA is on Playstation 4! Join us for weekly Game Nights with a selection of the best games the PS4 has to offer!

• XBO Forum

The AJSA Xbox One Division: We Got You Covered!

The AJSA Xbox One Division is ready to connect with you on XBox Live with a ton of events for the best Xbox games!

• News Archive

The Best News from the Best Sites, Every Week.

The AJSA News Collection Team is hard at work condensing a week's worth of news into one giant-sze digest for you to chew on and discuss! Links to source articles are always provided!

• More Info

The AJSA Expeditionary Force: Deploying to Play the Best PC Games!

The elite vanguard of the AJSA, the Expeditionary Force (EF) chooses a new PC game every week! Join us for weekly events and help decide if the game has a future in the AJSA.

• The Team

Streaming Now: The AJSA Stream Team

Joe can't stream every game, but our talented AJSA Stream Team covers a wide variety of games and personalities! Check them out, and show them some AJSA Love!

• The Tube

The AJSA Community YouTube Channel

Featuring news, gameplay clips, and more from the community! The Community is a chance to showcase the best moments in AJSA Gaming!

mouseno4

Heroes of the Storm

20 posts in this topic

Am i really the only one who is so damned eager to play this brand new MOBA?

Everyone i ask, everywhere i look, even every news website i visit... nobody seems interested. Blizzard says ''millions'' of gamers are banging on their door crying out for access.

I like it because it isnt your average MOBA with lanes, minions, towers and bases. Its got far more than even League of Legends has in terms of game mechanics.

From what I've seen it's probably one of the most casual Dota style games to date. At least it's the causal crowd it's targeting, what with mounts, no last hitting, no items and a jungle mechanic and turrets with ammo which is all made to shorten down and simplify the game.

Extremely low damage skills, and the game being essentially jungle objective simulator 2014. It's not for me is what I'm trying to say.

Though yes it does have different game modes that are not present in LoL or DoTA, that is not enough.

Sol Omega likes this

From what I've seen it's probably one of the most casual Dota style games to date. At least it's the causal crowd it's targeting, what with mounts, no last hitting, no items and a jungle mechanic and turrets with ammo which is all made to shorten down and simplify the game.

Extremely low damage skills, and the game being essentially jungle objective simulator 2014. It's not for me is what I'm trying to say.

Though yes it does have different game modes that are not present in LoL or DoTA, that is not enough.

This is exactly what im talking about. I play League non-stop, and have even dabbled in VainGlory when i am out. This game is one of my most anticipated online games on my entire list.

The one thing i dont like about League is the super hard core player base that is 100% toxic to new players and those that want to play as a team. If your not the best at your role, you are bullied, abused and verbally assaulted out of the game. Ive seen it happen to myself and i have seen it happen to others. I have NEVER seen this kind of toxicity in any other game to date. Granted ive not played Call of Duty online multiplayer in quite a number of years, but even World of Warcraft does not have this kind of horrible community. The trouble is, with League being an intensely competitive game these days, its a problem they cant hope to fix - and therefore will never be fixed.

This is exactly what im talking about. I play League non-stop, and have even dabbled in VainGlory when i am out. This game is one of my most anticipated online games on my entire list.

The one thing i dont like about League is the super hard core player base that is 100% toxic to new players and those that want to play as a team. If your not the best at your role, you are bullied, abused and verbally assaulted out of the game. Ive seen it happen to myself and i have seen it happen to others. I have NEVER seen this kind of toxicity in any other game to date. Granted ive not played Call of Duty online multiplayer in quite a number of years, but even World of Warcraft does not have this kind of horrible community. The trouble is, with League being an intensely competitive game these days, its a problem they cant hope to fix - and therefore will never be fixed.

The problem is, Heroes of the storm has this kind of community too, believe it or not. Basically playing without 4 or 5 friends is a death sentence, these kind of people exist in all games. It's why I quit dota to be honest, it's way too stressful.

I am happy that you haven't seen this kind of community in other games, but I think I have, a bit too much.

I'm actually interested in this game, but like Fluffy said, it's too casual I think.

As for community, I can imagine there will be cunts there too so prepare your...whatever shield keeps you safe vs them.

League helped me get used to asses in games like that. Like yesterday I had a toxic Trist who said I and Darius were useless. Darius fed Riven so instead of feeding, he started ganking mid for me and then went bot with me together. Trist was like, "omg report Kata and Darius so useless" and Tristana was like 0/4, just fed their botlane vs a damn Urgot.

Overall I told him to shut his useless ass, stop whining and I muted him. Darius was pretty awesome too which was surprising because most Darius players I knew are complete cunts lol

Anyways, I guess I will just use the same attitude in HOTS. Tell them to shut the hell up and then mute them and talk to me when they have something useful to say. I mostly say, "As far as I see, your whining isn't helping us win." and then most of them go quiet.

There are so many similar Moba's out there that it's getting tiresome

And not to talk about Blizzard lack of adding me in the beta XD

Most people who care are already playing it. I've played a few games and it's not my thing. Being so reliant on teammates means solo queue is complete hell. It makes the community more hostile. Also, talent gating is absolutely retarded. You are stuck with garbage options and it forces you to be a burden to the team until you level up.

Most people who care are already playing it. I've played a few games and it's not my thing. Being so reliant on teammates means solo queue is complete hell. It makes the community more hostile. Also, talent gating is absolutely retarded. You are stuck with garbage options and it forces you to be a burden to the team until you level up.

Hey i will gladly take your access off your hands if you like!

it's linked to my battle net account

/endjoke

Being casual and having cool, known characters are the selling point of this game from what i saw, so i might be extremely wrong, it's not surprisig that there are only few people really excited for it. I'm not, i don't understand MOBA so i hate them :P

See one thing you must understand, is that the single biggest downfall of League of Legends and DOTA2 is that it is too hard core. It is simply not inviting to new players, those with less time to sit down and eek out the tiny little nugget of extra power well and truly before you even step into a match.

League of Legends is - if i were to take from a different genre entirely - like Dungeons and Dragons, where as Heroes is like Monopoly. Anyone and everyone can play Monopoly. Hardly anyone can play D&D without spending ages learning the intricacies of how the game works. Many many people who try League... get turned off and burnt out because the ''pro'' scene is so unforgiving. And that is a damn shame.

Apex Spartan likes this

League of Legends is - if i were to take from a different genre entirely - like Dungeons and Dragons, where as Heroes is like Monopoly. Anyone and everyone can play Monopoly. Hardly anyone can play D&D without spending ages learning the intricacies of how the game works. Many many people who try League... get turned off and burnt out because the ''pro'' scene is so unforgiving. And that is a damn shame.

As someone who used to be diamond in LoL back in season 1, and haven't logged into the game for 2 years but now play Heroes of the Storm in Beta. This is kind of an accurate assessment. A lot of league high level play drove me crazy. Jungle timers, counter jungling, paying attention to the clock was almost the entire game. AD carries on both sides played almost identically, mid usually was either malz, heimer (before turret nerf), twitch, plank, Morg, or annie which led to so many cookie cutter matches. It was literally just a "watch the clock and watch your position" and had little to do with actual skill and mostly about gold and time management. League to this day from what I've seen in the streams is all about time management and positioning, very very little emphasis still on skill shots counting for anything. Its just push and counter push which is fine for a 5 minute game, but I was tired of playing for 20+ minutes for anything to matter other than someone derping and giving first blood or AD carry not getting their farm. Hence why i dropped the game as I don't have time to wait 20 minutes for things to get interesting.

Now, lets compare that to how HoTS plays out. Different map objectives keep things fresh. Its not the same map with the same jungle rotation. As a matter of fact THERE IS NO DEDICATED JUNGLE! Which actually elevates the level of play in the match. Generally in higher more difficult matches the "jungler" slot will literally perma roam just like league but because their xp is tied to the team and there is no equipment to farm gold for, ganking becomes viable at any point during the match. Pushing becomes a lot easier because turrets have ammo. NO LONGER can someone sit under a turret and solo defend against two people. Turrets hurt, but man can you turret dive in HotS. It creates a much more action based experience that really relies on skill choices and optimization. Plus, with picking your skill perks as opposed to your equipment each character is more adaptable and much harder to scout what to counter build with. For example, in league, you see a philosophers stone early on a caster? You better build some MR before that rod of ages gets built. It became a game of counterscouting, much like higher levels of starcraft's early phase. But again, most games of high level starcraft last 20 minutes. League matches last 40. HOTS matches last about 20 minutes and keep me occupied the whole time. Also, supports have a much much much more important and involved role in HOTS than in league. In HOTS, it doesn't matter who gets the minion kill, and a support is a pretty decent pusher if spec'd right and can do some pretty decent damage. Plus, they can autowhack on minions at any time without penalizing the team. Minion "clouds" as I call them, are almost nonexistent in HOTS. Where minions can generally solo take down a outer and middle tower in league, thats not going to happen in HOTS, meaning characters pushing is a lot more involved. Team battles happen as early as, well, when the first map event happens at minute 4 or something depending on the map, meaning a lot more emphasis is played out earlier. It has more of the pacing of Dominion or 3v3 if I had to compare it to league. Everyone dies, and everyone dies a lot.

I could go into a lot more detail, but League is more akin to a game that takes 20 minutes to set up and then you can play. HOTS keeps you involved in every stage of the battle. Also, I think that this game is much more balanced than League is for actually promoting skillshots and player skill. By the end of one match, we were plus 30 kills on our opponents, but we only had a 2 level advantage on them due to deminishing returns on players dieing repeatedly. What that means is that one character who shouldn't be queued with you because they stink can't really throw the game to an unrecoverable spiral. Plus with everyone benefiting the same for team level, it prevents the situation that plagues league to this day: if your AD carry fails to "carry" or generally does not get a good farm in early, you lost the match despite how good the other lanes play. That doesn't exist in HOTS. What seems to be going around is this idea that accessibility=less skill.

League takes much much less skill than say GvG in GW1 or, well guild wars 1 pvp in general. League was accessible and thus it became popular. League is not that complex of a game when compared to the likes of GW1 pvp, yet it is lauded as "super complex." Yeah, in upper levels of play it is. But lets look for a second at another simple game to access but gets completely and totally different when played professionally: Super Smash Brothers. This post is long enough, but I'm sure you don't need any more allusions other than smash is simple and accessible but the average player isn't going to know of the air cancel nor care. Simplicity does not equal lack of skill necessary to dominate. Thanks for the read and I still do like League, but just wanted to show a little of what HOTS does differently and how it affects the game.

I was in the alpha access  and now I am in the beta access , I got to say I enjoy it a lot more then LOL because the matches are not  45mins long. the avg game time  is arround 20-25mins.  I do like not having a "shop system"  the characters are fun to play. I use tyreal alot,  the only issue I have is the money grabber part of the game. SKins, mounts and heroes cost lots of money. 10$ for a skin?! really?! or 20$ for mount?!,  I have only spend 5$ into the game to get the starters bundle.  But the game is very promising and really exited for upcoming updates.   THe graphics are nice very polish, LOL make tons of money and they cant even give decent graphics  and the maps are disappointing in league. 

LOL make tons of money and they cant even give decent graphics  and the maps are disappointing in league. 

They can make amazing maps but they don't want to. They already updated Summoner's Rift, updating textures now of all champions. Nobody wants better graphics there and tbh after the new SR and updated textures, the game looks very nice now. Riot made League of Legends with a very small budget, the game looked like crap and it's from 2009. Blizzard on the other hand had a huge starting budget, it's Blizzard (duh) and HoTS is new.

As for maps, it's personal choice I suppose. Tbh I'm really looking forward to playing HotS actually but I just didn't get into the beta yet.

And also there is really no point comparing HoTS to other MOBAs now. HoTS from what I've seen and heard is quiet different so that's that which is good.

darthzash likes this

They can make amazing maps but they don't want to. They already updated Summoner's Rift, updating textures now of all champions. Nobody wants better graphics there and tbh after the new SR and updated textures, the game looks very nice now. Riot made League of Legends with a very small budget, the game looked like crap and it's from 2009. Blizzard on the other hand had a huge starting budget, it's Blizzard (duh) and HoTS is new.

As for maps, it's personal choice I suppose. Tbh I'm really looking forward to playing HotS actually but I just didn't get into the beta yet.

And also there is really no point comparing HoTS to other MOBAs now. HoTS from what I've seen and heard is quiet different so that's that which is good.

^This

But on topic with Heroes of the Storm. Ive played a good bit of the game but have not played it in a while. If you want, I can stream it so you can see the game played as well as ask questions and stuff.

Its a good game and it is fairly different than your current mobas on the market. Very team objective focused.

Honestly, most of the heroes are unique and really awesome. And most of them you can play in 2 or more ways.

If we compare it to LoL, LoL tried so hard to make some heroes play in 2 ways, but they failed so hard. Usually there's only one build per hero with no diversity. As for unique, each hero in HotS feels pretty different. LoL has many heroes that just play the same. LoL is just too afraid to be awesome and it costed them a lot.

However HotS has no sex appeal so -2 points for that. Sorry, Nova's ass isn't enough for me. So I guess they're as good.

Final comment:

Plays better than LoL but could use more boobs. DotA2 is still better.

Honestly, most of the heroes are unique and really awesome. And most of them you can play in 2 or more ways.

If we compare it to LoL, LoL tried so hard to make some heroes play in 2 ways, but they failed so hard. Usually there's only one build per hero with no diversity. As for unique, each hero in HotS feels pretty different. LoL has many heroes that just play the same. LoL is just too afraid to be awesome and it costed them a lot.

However HotS has no sex appeal so -2 points for that. Sorry, Nova's ass isn't enough for me. So I guess they're as good.

Final comment:

Plays better than LoL but could use more boobs. DotA2 is still better.

You compare it too much to most MOBAs and and then say Dota 2 is the best ><

LoL has it's own style of gameplay, so has HoTs and Dota 2. Dota 2 is not the best, it's just fits you better.

For me LoL is the best but what's the point? You can't compare the games like that.

LoL is awesome in it's own way, didn't cost them anything. It's the reason why it's the most played video game in the world now with 70 million registered accounts and about 30 million active players per month, now less or more since the last statistic was done about a year ago.

We could conclude from that the League is the best MOBA but it's not, people who love it play and those who hate it don't play it.

HOTS is just good in it's own way. It has awesome heroes, many maps, you can play certain heroes in more ways, some are very unique, the game modes are fun. Just because the game is casual doesn't mean anything, such games tend to be most popular actually. HoTs is going to be one of the more popular MOBAs I think, it might or might not beat SMITE. 

The only problem is it's hard to compete in the MOBA genre since League and Dota 2 have already taken the cake.

You compare it too much to most MOBAs and and then say Dota 2 is the best ><

For me LoL is the best but what's the point? You can't compare the games like that.

BS. You can easily compare MOBAs and what they're going for.

DotA is the original, hardcore and remains loyal to the series. It doesn't bother with fast gameplay, skillshots, etc. Just the classic and complex dota.

Bloodline Champions is the opposite; it scrapped all the farming bits and focuses on combat/arena style gameplay only.

HotS seems to be more like DotA, with the focus falling on pushing lanes and sieging base, while also engaging, but no farming at all.

LoL is just... First, it's trying to be like what's popular/new. In the beginning it was a lot like DotA. Then it tried to be it's own thing. Now it tries to be more like HotS.

In S1 it was a lot like dota yes. In S2-S3 it tried to be it's own thing, but the 'anti-fun' idea came in the way, so LoL was really afraid to try something new so it ended up becoming bland and stale. It's trying to become DotA-HotS kinda game, but it's too afraid to go in any direction because it will destroy it's delicate balance.

The thing is, LoL is crippled right now. There is no meta. There hasn't been any meta for ages. It constantly varies from poking to clashes. You never see split pushing, counter jungling (anymore, overnerfed), trilanes, anything other than the stale AP:Mid-Jungler-SoloTop-ADC:Support:Duolane. And nobody cares about other maps. Which is bad cause HotS for example has so many different strategies on each map.

Riot is too afraid to make any change and whenever something accidentally hapens (Talon, Counterjungling way back) it gets overnerfed.

Why would LoL want to become something like HoTs if HoTS is not even out yet in full version. And why would it want to become something that might still fail or might not attract people in the end?

How is there no meta in League? The only meta or lane that changes is top, it was always a lane for tanky and melee champions so in LCS pros started to pick ranged champs to counter. Never see split pushing? Did you ever play or even play the game? You can see splitpushing EVERY game, specially in high elos. In normals not many split push because in normals people play for fun and kills but in ranked everyone splitpushes. 

Everything you are saying doesn't even make sense. Besides League has always been like that, nerfs and buffs this patch and then the next and so on. League community is used to it, some love it and some hate it. The game is not crippled, some items get removed or nerfed and people find new builds or replace champions. 

There is no point for Riot to try turn League into HOTS  because it's a game that's not even released in full state and it never tried to be DOTA 2 because it's been different than DOTA since the game came out. In Season 1 almost every champion in League was overpowered and meta wasn't even near to this. Over time the game changed, champions changed and game changed.

Also ARAM (Howling Abyss) is very popular and 3v3 map is played a lot, not in ranked. Summoner's Rift 5v5 is the most popular and played, but so what? Same with DOTA 2 so what's the bad thing about that? 

DOTA is not even a MOBA as well, it was a mod. First original MOBA standalone game was actually League, one of the founders of Riot was a guy who worked on the DOTA mod for Warcraft 3 so that's why LoL was so similar at start but it took it's own path. It would suck ass if League was like DOTA 2 now because why have 2 same games? 

A game being hardcore and complex doesn't make it better. I know DOTA 2 players who can't play League for crap because they just don't know how to play fast paced. They are used to that slower style like in DOTA 2 and they are not used to being spammed by abilities all the time. 

It's fine to compare MOBAs but all you ever do is compare them and say DOTA or DOTA 2 is the best just because you play them. Every MOBA is unique in it's own way and saying League sucks or is crippled just because you don't like it and because it's not DOTA 2 is not a valid reason. I played DOTA 2 and enjoyed it in it's own way but I would never like League to become like DOTA 2 because I enjoy League's type of gameplay and the maps and so do other millions who play it. 

And also comparing MOBAs all the time is not a good idea actually because best thing to do is stick to your MOBA you like and that's it. League, DOTA 2, HOTS have their own maps, styles of gameplay and everything so pick one you like and that's all.

Seph likes this