• Welcome to the Angry Joe Show Army!

Join our community of gamers passionate about our community and our hobby! Whether it's playing, discussing, or watching games, regardless of platform, genre, or location, we have a place for you, always!

• PS4 Forum

The AJSA Playstation 4 Division: Game Nights and More!

The AJSA is on Playstation 4! Join us for weekly Game Nights with a selection of the best games the PS4 has to offer!

• XBO Forum

The AJSA Xbox One Division: We Got You Covered!

The AJSA Xbox One Division is ready to connect with you on XBox Live with a ton of events for the best Xbox games!

• News Archive

The Best News from the Best Sites, Every Week.

The AJSA News Collection Team is hard at work condensing a week's worth of news into one giant-sze digest for you to chew on and discuss! Links to source articles are always provided!

• More Info

The AJSA Expeditionary Force: Deploying to Play the Best PC Games!

The elite vanguard of the AJSA, the Expeditionary Force (EF) chooses a new PC game every week! Join us for weekly events and help decide if the game has a future in the AJSA.

• The Team

Streaming Now: The AJSA Stream Team

Joe can't stream every game, but our talented AJSA Stream Team covers a wide variety of games and personalities! Check them out, and show them some AJSA Love!

• The Tube

The AJSA Community YouTube Channel

Featuring news, gameplay clips, and more from the community! The Community is a chance to showcase the best moments in AJSA Gaming!

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Howling Fenrir

Video Games: Girls not allowed!

29 posts in this topic

So adding to the list of games that are trying to avoid the fairer sex you can add WWE 2K15 to the list as it has recently been announced that the game will not included a Female option for its Create a Wreastler feature.

To those of you not aware of the seemingly current trend in Video Game let me give you a quick summary of some of the better know cases.

1. Dontnod's Remember Me game was stated to have been rejected by some publishers for the sole reason of having a Female lead character.

2. Bioshock Infinite's Elizabeth was apparently either removed from the front of the box art of the game or not allowed on there altogether despite having a major role in the game (arguably being the center of the story) She is instead relegated to the back of the box.

3. Naughty Dog have gone on record in saying that they had to fight tooth and nail to get Ellie on the front cover of The Last of Us.

4. And lastly Ubsoft saying with some fumbling Assassin's Creed Unity had no Female playable characters as they were 'too difficult'. 

Don't know about you guys but someone like me that has several female gamer friends this is a trend I would like to see stopped.

Seriously? This is making me vomit.

I thinks it's fair to say without any bias that the majority of gamers are male but that's no reason to marginalize females in gaming, if anything it's more reason to embrace them.

I'm probably going to be flamed like hell for saying it but, maybe Anita Sarkeesian has a point.

BooThisMan.gif

Now I don't agree with she says and she has definitely presented herself in way that is unethical way but it's undeniably true that women are often presented as gender pandered tropes in many forms of media and games most of all.   Weather they be damsels in distress, spoiled princess or...........

24.jpg

Yeah..........

I like big boobied amazon women with impossibly tight waists in scanty Armour as much as the next guy but in this day and age, I expect more. For the most part I actually do think things have gotten better, I think of Characters like the new Lara Croft or Ellie from the last of us and I'm find engaging not because of their gender, appearance, or any other superficial stereotypes but because they are excellent characters that you feel for and THAT'S what I as a gamer want to see more of.

I'm probably going to be flamed like hell for saying it but, maybe Anita Sarkeesian has a point.

It's the only point she's trying to make, and to an extent, she's right. It's just how he justifies said point that's got people riled up, not to mention her personal agendas. But that's not a discussion for this thread, or this forum.

I think it's weird that the new WWE game isn't going to have Female Create-a-Wrestlers considering they were available in every WWE game that let you make your own character and play as a Diva. Did they give any reason to why they're removing it? Haven't played a Wrestling game in a long time, so I wouldn't even know if it's been removed from games prior to 2k15.

It's a messed up industry.

4. And lastly Ubsoft saying with some fumbling Assassin's Creed Unity had no Female playable characters as they were 'too difficult'.

Well, from all the images we have going around for Unity it looks like female and male characters were too much for them.

So adding to the list of games that are trying to avoid the fairer sex you can add WWE 2K15 to the list as it has recently been announced that the game will not included a Female option for its Create a Wreastler feature.

To those of you not aware of the seemingly current trend in Video Game let me give you a quick summary of some of the better know cases.

1. Dontnod's Remember Me game was stated to have been rejected by some publishers for the sole reason of having a Female lead character.

2. Bioshock Infinite's Elizabeth was apparently either removed from the front of the box art of the game or not allowed on there altogether despite having a major role in the game (arguably being the center of the story) She is instead relegated to the back of the box.

3. Naughty Dog have gone on record in saying that they had to fight tooth and nail to get Ellie on the front cover of The Last of Us.

Don't know about you guys but someone like me that has several female gamer friends this is a trend I would like to see stopped.

I can only imagine how difficult it was to pitch Bayonetta.

Most of these cases are because of bull shit marketing, I don't remember the last time I bought a game based on the box art

(maybe all)

Women definitely need to have better representation in gaming. Hell everyone needs better representation in gaming, the damn thing has gone damn near global! Which isn't to say you can't have characters be over-top in appearance and/or performance but they still need to be characters. You can make a character drop-dead gorgeous and be wearing nothing but the tiniest of clothing, but if she/he doesn't have a personality or backstory or anything about her to make her important/a reason to be felt for why does this character exist other than to be eye candy?

Could you change the title of the thread? The moment I saw it, I thought "FFS! Here comes a flame war. As if we don't have enough problems with GamerGate."

Jitterdoomer likes this

I can only imagine how difficult it was to pitch Bayonetta.

It's a Japanese game though as opposed to the four that quoted post which were all Western Games. It's probably easier to have female centric games in Japan or Eastern Countries in general.

Can we stop talking about feminist bullshit? I got warnings for talking about GamerGate. Guys, just act that GamerGate has no problem anymore.

Things are fine as they are and have always been, this is the type of thinking which opens pandora's box and destroys gaming entirely. I have no problem with women or their rights, but let's be realistic here, they're not men and never will be no matter how much they try. In the real world women are not stronger than men, in the real world women are not as physically capable, in the real world most men view women as a sexual object because frankly it's nature and in evolutionary reality that's what they are...

They're there for us to protect and procreate with to further our genetic line, that is the point of life and a female's function in the undeniable reality that is existence. Why do you think women scream and men do not? It's an evolutionary development only found in female humans to alert a male that they're in danger and need to be saved. All of these things going on around us are simply barriers created by humans to separate us from the animals, that of which we still are.

Women in general wear dresses, women in general sexual amplify themselves to attract a man, women in general need to be protected by a man, women in general do not enjoy doing the brutish things which men instinctively do because they're not men etc. I'm sick of this insane notion that people keep trying to perpetuate where they attempt to blur the lines and convince everyone that men and women are the same thing, if you actually believe that horse shit you're out of your god damn mind...

The only reason women have independence in this world right now is because the world for the most part is a safe place because we have made it that way. If it was still dangerous everywhere and survival of the fittest in a primal capacity, women would still be exactly where they always have been. Staying indoors, birthing and raising children and being protected by men from everything... What do you think women are going to revert to if the shit hits the fan in the world and everything falls apart? Their genetically developed instinct, find a man that can provide and protect them.

Everything is as it should be, women are IN GENERAL and for the most part sexually attractive damsel's in distress... Anita Sarkeesian can suck it, she's the most delusional female gamer I have ever seen in my entire life. Put her in a situation where she's being chased by a man, and she then see's another man down the street, what do you think she's going to do?

Hide behind his ass and beg for his protection, that girl is a complete idiot...

Vonleo likes this

That is some messed up shit. Girls should be allowed just as much as boys. *sighs* 

That is some messed up shit. Girls should be allowed just as much as boys. *sighs* 

You bring things like this up and you're going to get the full wrath from both sides, this is why religious and political topics get locked, it's a heated environment and never ends well. Also nobody is saying that girls should not be allowed to play or enjoy games, that's ridiculous. I for instance am simply highlighting how trying to change the female "stereotype" of the hot damsel in distress (not even a stereotype in all reality)IN GAMES is a ridiculous concept given the generality of what female existence actually is.

Things are fine as they are and have always been, this is the type of thinking which opens pandora's box and destroys gaming entirely. I have no problem with women or their rights, but let's be realistic here, they're not men and never will be no matter how much they try. In the real world women are not stronger than men, in the real world women are not as physically capable, in the real world most men view women as a sexual object because frankly it's nature and in evolutionary reality that's what they are...

They're there for us to protect and procreate with to further our genetic line, that is the point of life and a female's function in the undeniable reality that is existence. Why do you think women scream and men do not? It's an evolutionary development only found in female humans to alert a male that they're in danger and needs to be saved. All of these things going on around us are simply barriers created by humans to separate us from the animals, that of which we still are.

Women in general wear dresses, women in general sexual amplify themselves to attract a man, women in general need to be protected by a man, women in general do not enjoy doing the brutish things which men instinctively do because they're not men etc. I'm sick of this insane notion that people keep trying to perpetuate where they attempt to blur the lines and convince everyone that men and women are the same thing, if you actually believe that horse shit you're out of your god damn mind...

The only reason women have independence in this world right now is because the world for the most part is a safe place because we have made it that way. If it was still dangerous everywhere and survival of the fittest in a primal capacity, women would still be exactly where they always have been. Staying indoors, birthing and raising children and being protected by men from everything... What do you think women are going to revert to if the shit hits the fan in the world and everything falls apart? Their genetically developed instinct, find a man that can provide and protect them.

Everything is as it should be, this feminist bullshit needs to be put to an end, it does nothing good...

You know, less than an hour ago, there was a moment were I actually felt sorry for you and made a comment is respect of that, now I regret it.

Woman are not there to be damsels for us to protect or admire for the effort they put into their appearance! They are human fucking beings! As pretty and as gross, as nice and as nasty, as good and as evil, as smart and as stupid and as worthy and as unworthy as the other half of us.

I'm not denying that gaming is a male dominated sub-culture nor am I denying that some of the genetically earned personality traits are responsible for that, but we as humans are sentient, and that means we look past out instincts and overcome them to make free our own choices.

Your argument is that woman are unlawfully excluded from certain cultures because of primal instincts, I say the fact the fact this debate is even happening is because our sentience has freed us from those instincts and the only thing keeping woman from gaming (if anything) is the dated principles of people like you.

i  have a bad feeling this might go some bad places.

i  have a bad feeling this might go some bad places.

Sadly I agree, we can't seem to have a mature conversation about anything without some idiot ruining it.

Puntosmx and Mr_E_Meatshield like this

You know, less than an hour ago, there was a moment were I actually felt sorry for you and made a comment is respect of that, now I regret it.

Woman are not there to be damsels for us to protect or admire for the effort they put into their appearance! They are human fucking beings! As pretty and as gross, as nice and as nasty, as good and as evil, as smart and as stupid and as worthy and as unworthy as the other half of us.

I'm not denying that gaming is a male dominated sub-culture nor am I denying that some of the genetically earned personality traits are responsible for that, but we as humans are sentient, and that means we look past out instincts and overcome them to make free our own choices.

Your argument is that woman are unlawfully excluded from certain cultures because of primal instincts, I say the fact the fact this debate is even happening is because our sentience has freed us from those instincts and the only thing keeping woman from gaming (if anything) is the dated principles of people like you.

mw2-quickscope-o.gif

See your problem is you think we're actually "freed from those instincts", we're surely not, we just try to convince ourselves that we are. The world is still governed the same way it always has been, we just wrap it all up now in nice wrapping paper with a bow on top and act as if it's not the present reality.

Sadly I agree, we can't seem to have a mature conversation about anything without some idiot ruining it.

Yes, people who have a different and more evolutionary sound view of the actual ways of the world are truly idiots. This is an extremely mature conversation, sadly people who don't like hearing about our raw existential existence can't seem to handle it. Keep living in this 21st century dream world where you're convinced that you're beyond the laws of the universe, evolution, instinct, genetics and above all human placement and nature.

White knighting illogicality on the internet isn't going to change any of it.

P.S. If you're going to call someone an idiot, at least attempt to make a rebuttal.

Keep living in this 21st century dream world where you're convinced that you're beyond the laws of the universe, evolution, instinct, genetics and above all human placement and nature.

Happy to, in the meantime I'll leave you somewhere around the corner from this guy.

caveman.jpg

Shagger likes this

mw2-quickscope-o.gif

See your problem is you think we're actually "freed from those instincts", we're surely not, we just try to convince ourselves that we are. The world is still governed the same way it always has been, we just wrap it all up now in nice wrapping paper with a bow on top and act as if it's not the present reality.

Yes, people who have a different and more evolutionary sound view of the actual ways of the world are truly idiots. This is an extremely mature conversation, sadly people who don't like hearing about our raw existential existence can't seem to handle it. Keep living in this 21st century dream world where you're convinced that you're beyond the laws of the universe, evolution, instinct, genetics and above all human placement and nature.

White knighting illogicality on the internet isn't going to change any of it.

P.S. If you're going to call someone an idiot, at least attempt to make a rebuttal.

My first question is, WTF is with that gif of somebody shooting through an airliner window? Where does that fit in all this?

I'm not saying we're past out instincts, I'm saying as sentient beings we have the power to deny those and peruse out live with a set of values we arrive at independently as well as culture and learn ourselves about what others have come to perceive. I mean, if it wasn't for this, no form of art of entertainment, including video games, would exist at all! But no. The fact that video game culture is male dominated boils down to woman are damsels and men are heroes. Have you seriously lost it?

P.P.S.  The fact you wrote that obviously means I didn't need to. 

Anyway....  I'm going to make an attempt to get this back on topic.

It's especially disappointing that WWE 2K15  won't feature a female character creator.  It effectively eliminates the whole aspect of women wrestling in skin tight spandex from the entire game, why would anyone even among perverted man-children wanna do that!

My first question is, WTF is with that gif of somebody shooting through an airliner window? Where does that fit in all this?

I'm not saying we're past out instincts, I'm saying as sentient beings we have the power to deny those and peruse out live with a set of values we arrive at independently as well as culture and learn ourselves about what others have come to perceive. I mean, if it wasn't for this, no form of art of entertainment, including video games, would exist at all! But no. The fact that video game culture is male dominated boils down to woman are damsels and men are heroes. Have you seriously lost it?

I don't know how that gif is over your head, it's the kill cam for a match winning shot... That should elude to the obvious...

Anyways, we can cover our instincts to whatever degree we can muster, however they still remain at the core of our being and in general drive our forward existence. Finding a mate is still the same, a mate finding us is still the same, we all want to have sex, we all want someone to carry on our genetics, women are in general the weaker sex and need to be protected and so on and so forth. I get where you're coming from, I really do, but those things that you're talking about are just filler for our daily lives, they don't negate our instinctual behavior, they simply make it appear more civilized.

That's really all there is to it, you can view me as a monster or insensitive, whatever, I don't care. I look at this shit and laugh, it's hilarious to see that people think we're actually above all of this, it's incredible really. Like I said nothing has really changed, it's just prettier so to speak...

P.P.S.  The fact you wrote that obviously means I didn't need to. 

Yeah you have no argument, good bye.

Without bringing the sexism debate back, the attractive, athletic females in WWE are as much a part of it as the Undertaker. In the older games, it gave an alternative (if admittedly lacking) alternitive champaign mode.

I've always had a theory about sports games. Love the sport, love the video game. Don't like the sport, wonder why others like the video game, but wrestling games I felt was the exception.

Think about it, a 3D tactical grapple/fighting game in an open environment with a vast variably of rule sets and pre-match set ups with/without weapons combined with a campaign mode and extensive character creator mode with local and online multilayer. My god, the potential for a video game here is, if anything, even more fruitful that a TV show or live event. And to be fair, the games actually deliver for the most part.

The fact certain powers have encouraged the female character creator and game mode to be removed from this game is both sad and counter productive.

If everything the op says is true, that's BS, not that I doubt it, just stating that just in case...If that is true though, Anita should be bringing that to light, which she'll get support from gamers for. But instead she tries to portray the gamers as the bad guys for enjoying games whether it has girls or not, cuz if not, sexist, if it does, sexist. Don't really wanna go in depth in THAT direction, but while I agree the sexism for the op's point is mind blowing, it doesn't really validate Anita's viewpoints simply because it is barely brushing the ballpark she's trying to sell.

As for John...To an extent I understand what you mean. I mean women are not put in the same league as men in professional sports for a reason, not even golf treats them equally, and none of them are complaining about this separation. HOWEVER, we do live in a world that if they WANT to be brutish manly thuggy hulk smashers, they are welcome to, and nobody has the right to tell them no, and fact is even if the average professional athlete woman still isn't put in the same league of pro sports as professional athletic man, they are still professionals, and they'll still curbstomp any non professional man at their passion (as well as some pros too, just not average compared to average). Videogames are the very FIRST area where a woman can do wdf they want, even if it's not something they do in reality, and if they want to be playing a girl lifting 2 macho men and bonking their heads without breaking a sweat, let them.

Also, we have evolved beyond the point where our "function" is beyond hunting animals and birthing children. People have value and significance to humanity far beyond basic primal functions, and saying : 

"They're there for us to protect and procreate with to further our genetic line, that is the point of life and a female's function in the undeniable reality that is existence. "

Is so full of wrong. Men don't always bring home the bacon, and if a family has a woman do it instead, they are not necessarily handicapped. Women can also be valuable intellectually too. Women contributed to making the world safe too, not just men, so even if you think they can only enjoy being more than that simply because the world is safe, they played part in earning that.

If everything the op says is true, that's BS, not that I doubt it, just stating that just in case...If that is true though, Anita should be bringing that to light, which she'll get support from gamers for. But instead she tries to portray the gamers as the bad guys for enjoying games whether it has girls or not, cuz if not, sexist, if it does, sexist. Don't really wanna go in depth in THAT direction, but while I agree the sexism for the op's point is mind blowing, it doesn't really validate Anita's viewpoints simply because it is barely brushing the ballpark she's trying to sell.

As for John...To an extent I understand what you mean. I mean women are not put in the same league as men in professional sports for a reason, not even golf treats them equally, and none of them are complaining about this separation. HOWEVER, we do live in a world that if they WANT to be brutish manly thuggy hulk smashers, they are welcome to, and nobody has the right to tell them no, and fact is even if the average professional athlete woman still isn't put in the same league of pro sports as professional athletic man, they are still professionals, and they'll still curbstomp any non professional man at their passion (as well as some pros too, just not average compared to average). Videogames are the very FIRST area where a woman can do wdf they want, even if it's not something they do in reality, and if they want to be playing a girl lifting 2 macho men and bonking their heads without breaking a sweat, let them.

Also, we have evolved beyond the point where our "function" is beyond hunting animals and birthing children. People have value and significance to humanity far beyond basic primal functions, and saying : 

Is so full of wrong. Men don't always bring home the bacon, and if a family has a woman do it instead, they are not necessarily handicapped. Women can also be valuable intellectually too. Women contributed to making the world safe too, not just men, so even if you think they can only enjoy being more than that simply because the world is safe, they played part in earning that.

Ghaleon, I am simply speaking in generalities, I thought I made that clear when I said "In general" more times than I would care to count. There are always exceptions to the rule but the rule remains prevalent and intact.