• Welcome to the Angry Joe Show Army!

Join our community of gamers passionate about our community and our hobby! Whether it's playing, discussing, or watching games, regardless of platform, genre, or location, we have a place for you, always!

• PS4 Forum

The AJSA Playstation 4 Division: Game Nights and More!

The AJSA is on Playstation 4! Join us for weekly Game Nights with a selection of the best games the PS4 has to offer!

• XBO Forum

The AJSA Xbox One Division: We Got You Covered!

The AJSA Xbox One Division is ready to connect with you on XBox Live with a ton of events for the best Xbox games!

• News Archive

The Best News from the Best Sites, Every Week.

The AJSA News Collection Team is hard at work condensing a week's worth of news into one giant-sze digest for you to chew on and discuss! Links to source articles are always provided!

• More Info

The AJSA Expeditionary Force: Deploying to Play the Best PC Games!

The elite vanguard of the AJSA, the Expeditionary Force (EF) chooses a new PC game every week! Join us for weekly events and help decide if the game has a future in the AJSA.

• The Team

Streaming Now: The AJSA Stream Team

Joe can't stream every game, but our talented AJSA Stream Team covers a wide variety of games and personalities! Check them out, and show them some AJSA Love!

• The Tube

The AJSA Community YouTube Channel

Featuring news, gameplay clips, and more from the community! The Community is a chance to showcase the best moments in AJSA Gaming!

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Jitterdoomer

Next-Gen PC Games are now larger than 20 GB

32 posts in this topic

This is making me sick to the stomach, while I'm on a PC, I noticed that most Next-Gen games like Outlast, Evolved, Titanfall, and Call of Duty Advanced Warfare are now larger in size. Is there any other way to save up more space for these games other than deleting games on Steam?

Play one game at a time, delete anything you're not playing. Problem solved. Your wallet may also thank you for that too.

I made a thread about this a while ago. It's annoying as hell, all because of uncompressed audio files. Dead Rising 3, Wolfenstein, Evil Within, Alien Isolation, Shadow of Mordor, AAAARRGGGHH it pissed me off! Now instead of waiting for 1 hour or 2 for the games to download, I have to wait 2 days by leaving my laptop on the whole 6 hours before I go to bed!

This is making me sick to the stomach, while I'm on a PC, I noticed that most Next-Gen games like Outlast, Evolved, Titanfall, and Call of Duty Advanced Warfare are now larger in size. Is there any other way to save up more space for these games other than deleting games on Steam?

Are you surprised?  The PS4 and XBox one are no longer restricted to the 7-9GB limit of DVD's so it seems normal that developers won't apply that restriction to their PC ports either.  Higher resolution textures, larger maps, more content and so on all require more space.

I don't know why space would trouble anyone. If anything it causes problems for people that have limitations on what they can download or people who have really slow internet but I don't know why people would be running out of room. Steam/Origin makes uninstalls and reinstalls a pretty quick and simple matter.

Most PC games in general have been over 20Gb's for several years now... This isn't something new.

The fact that you have to download them is the only major problem imo. Not because of the download time neccesarily, but because some internet service providers have a limited amount of bandwidth as well. If you're a hardcore gamer that tries new games all the time, this could be an issue, particularly if you have a family that is ALSO using the internet. Wouldn't such a family have a better internet plan than one that limits bandwidth you ask? Well...I can't speak for everyone but there kind of isn't where I live, and I'm pretty sure internet is way above average where I live too.

3908270766.png

Shaw is as far as I'm aware, the only decently fast provider that doesn't have a bandwidth cap, but they blow chunks at upload speeds (less than 1 meg for me, and ping was often 10-20), and their price was way higher too. I was actually fine with shaw before I got novus but novus is better in most ways minus that cap, and if a provider this good has one, I'm sure many many other good ones do too.

That said, running out of HD space and stuff... yeahh...I too have that problem but that's just cuz I'm cheap and have been using the same old HD for like an effing decade, and I suspect many other people are kind of doing the same thing too. Hard drives are effing cheap these days, and I'm pretty sure you can get one with like 2TB for less than a hundred bucks. Certainly a 1TB one, which isn't bad considering phones and consoles and whatnot try to shove some 64gb memory card for like 50 bucks or something stupid.

Even with my old as fuu hd, I wouldn't b having issues if I didn't need like a spare 300gb just so I can fraps gameplay whenever I feel like making a youtube video =P.

I understand the OP's fustration but I also question whether he knows of change ?

Sooner or later the games would've grown in size. We have seen this throughout gaming history. Final Fantasy 7 is 3 discs and it is around 3gb. The reason I point this game out is because it is from way back, now things have moved forward if you look at a game say Final Fantasy 13 for example ? 60gb. Now you can probably argue multiplayer games are different. However when it comes to space they just aren't. Get used to the change people...

The ever growing numbers of how much a game is to download is only going to get larger with better graphics and better textures or music for example as one person pointed out. However just remember that eventually hard drive space will get larger and so will internet speeds. So fear not my fellow geeks and geekettes. (No offence intended) Technology will have your back soon.

Mr_E_Meatshield likes this

I understand the OP's fustration but I also question whether he knows of change ?

He also has a penchant for hyperbole and poor fact checking.

Most PC games in general have been over 20Gb's for several years now... This isn't something new.

Agreed. Heck, Skyrim when modded can go above 30Gb I think. Rage, which is also a 7th Gen console game is 21Gb. Hitman Absolution also goes for 26Gb. GTA IV with the Episodes of Liberty City together reaches over 30Gb. Arkham Origins is 28Gb too. Bioshock Infinite is a whopping 42Gb with its DLC. These aren't "Next-Gen" games. Not that PC has "Generations" like consoles do.

That being said, there ARE games lately which feature uncompressed audio/video, which is just lazy IMO.

That being said, there ARE games lately which feature uncompressed audio/video, which is just lazy IMO.

Doubt anyone can deny that.

This can explain one of the reasons that a game is so big however this doesn't explain some of the reasons other games are so big. There is plenty of games out there that have normal compressed audioor video that are looking at around 40gb+. Said games have been some of the best games that came out of all time and no-one called them lazy ?

Because having a big game with compression isnt lazy? Not sure how that is questionable.

yes there is. buy a bigger hard drive.

Because having a big game with compression isnt lazy? Not sure how that is questionable.

You have to remember that game res and textures are going to get better. With that game compression is maybe slacking ? Give it chance it will probably get better with time aswell. Honestly though you should probably just do what the rest of the world is doing...

Upgrade!

fridgeracer likes this

Honestly though you should probably just do what the rest of the world is doing...

Upgrade!

precisely. it's quite a well known fact mr OP. hardware always advances, technology always advances, getting better and better. this happens to provide better software experiences. as software experiences improve, more disk space is needed.

that is the only technological thing that never changes, ever. since the dawn of the first byte, nothing has been done to provide better software experiences than previously while taking up a smaller amount of disk space. the disk space always increases, always.

all you have to do is buy a 2 terabyte hard drive. they are quite cheap and if you dont have a labyrinth size of music and movies then you can install many games, possibly around a hundred before windows starts telling you it's getting too full. if you do have that much movies and music, simple, buy 2  two terabyte hard drives. all very simple.

You have to remember that game res and textures are going to get better. With that game compression is maybe slacking ? Give it chance it will probably get better with time aswell. Honestly though you should probably just do what the rest of the world is doing...

Upgrade!

You seem to not have read what i originally said... I never said any game so big is lazy, just the ones that are big AND feature no compression at all are lazy. If thy manage to make the game that big WITH compression, im not calling it lazy, nor have I ever.

You seem to not have read what i originally said... I never said any game so big is lazy, just the ones that are big AND feature no compression at all are lazy. If thy manage to make the game that big WITH compression, im not calling it lazy, nor have I ever.

Every large PC game is compressed...

I mean no compression on certain types of files that typically have compression like audio, sorry I wasn't specific.

I mean no compression on certain types of files that typically have compression like audio, sorry I wasn't specific.

That's precisely the point I was getting at though, there may have been a reason for no compression such as maybe the compression isn't updated enough and could ruin said audio. There is always a reason behind why certain things are not done in games, usually the reason is due to breaking something in said thing that they are compressing. If it breaks it, why would you compress it ?

Upgrade like the other 50,000 people who have been playing PC have been doing all these years.

Compression ruin audio? That excuse is clearly pulled out of thin air. You are assuming there is a reason but if thats the best example you can come up with you clearly dont have a clue about anything to do with audio files or compression. Find me one piece of game audio that cant be compressed without ruin, just 1, bet you cant.

That last "upgrade your pc" one liner pretty much tells me your goal in this is to feel big. I was pretty much the only person in this thread who went into detail about how ipgrading hd space is viable and less expensive than people think, there is no need to toss such a snippy 1-liner at me unless you wanna be a kool kid.

Compression ruin audio? That excuse is clearly pulled out of thin air. You are assuming there is a reason but if thats the best example you can come up with you clearly dont have a clue about anything to do with audio files or compression. Find me one piece of game audio that cant be compressed without ruin, just 1, bet you cant.

That last "upgrade your pc" one liner pretty much tells me your goal in this is to feel big. I was pretty much the only person in this thread who went into detail about how ipgrading hd space is viable and less expensive than people think, there is no need to toss such a snippy 1-liner at me unless you wanna be a kool kid.

Dude you're simply assuming yourself right here. I am just repeating what most devs say. Please don't say I am assuming anything as it is getting you nowhere.

The only thing you and the original op is going to get a reply with is "upgrade" and it is simply this. At the end of the day as games get better the memory is going to get larger. Compressed or not. You are eventually going to have to upgrade... Why wait if it is suddenly a problem ?

You have literally came back to the same post that I have haven't you... Upgrade.

If I was trying to make myself feel big with a one liner I would've said something completely different to upgrade. I would've probably threw an insult your way or something. Not something that is actually a viable option for the OP.

More Terabytes more Powa!

While the games start needing more space, our computers, if you haven't noticed, have started having more space as well.

At the olden times the size of games in correlation to the size of HDD's was out of whack. I had a top of the line computer at 97-98 that had a whole 9 gb's of HDD space.. When Final Fantasy 7 was released on the pc it required a whole whooping 2.2gb's of space. You understand how crazy that was? Things have gotten soo much better recently. You can have hundreds of games on your HDD without a problem. And damn the HDD's have gotten cheap as hell as well..

Back in 97~ 98 an 9 gb HDD cost us around 1.2k euros in current times. It's not even funny (Well I don't live in the US, so the prices are most likely different from what they were in the US.). But it was a luxury. You can build a really high end PC for that amount of cash.

The only thing you really need is a cheap 60 buck 2TB hdd and a decent net connection (If you use steam.).. That's basically all you need.

MrMadakey likes this