• Welcome to the Angry Joe Show Army!

Join our community of gamers passionate about our community and our hobby! Whether it's playing, discussing, or watching games, regardless of platform, genre, or location, we have a place for you, always!

• PS4 Forum

The AJSA Playstation 4 Division: Game Nights and More!

The AJSA is on Playstation 4! Join us for weekly Game Nights with a selection of the best games the PS4 has to offer!

• XBO Forum

The AJSA Xbox One Division: We Got You Covered!

The AJSA Xbox One Division is ready to connect with you on XBox Live with a ton of events for the best Xbox games!

• News Archive

The Best News from the Best Sites, Every Week.

The AJSA News Collection Team is hard at work condensing a week's worth of news into one giant-sze digest for you to chew on and discuss! Links to source articles are always provided!

• More Info

The AJSA Expeditionary Force: Deploying to Play the Best PC Games!

The elite vanguard of the AJSA, the Expeditionary Force (EF) chooses a new PC game every week! Join us for weekly events and help decide if the game has a future in the AJSA.

• The Team

Streaming Now: The AJSA Stream Team

Joe can't stream every game, but our talented AJSA Stream Team covers a wide variety of games and personalities! Check them out, and show them some AJSA Love!

• The Tube

The AJSA Community YouTube Channel

Featuring news, gameplay clips, and more from the community! The Community is a chance to showcase the best moments in AJSA Gaming!

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Shagger

A variety of platforms are essential, as are their exclusives, and here's why

8 posts in this topic

I started this topic because I saw somebody on these threads (not mentioning names or the topic in question) describing first party developers as "holding games hostage" 'till you buy that specific platform. Now, I have a problem with that statement, but I felt my issue with it is too general, complicated and important that I decided it would be better for me to discuss this in a new topic.

If all games existed on one platform, it would be a disaster, and face it exclusives are the only reason why multiple platforms exist at all. And we need multiple platforms

If there was to be (as this individual clearly desires) only one platform to play games on, it would be PC. It's the most versatile and powerful platform, but also the most expensive and impractical, and that's were the problems start. Not everyone can afford what a gaming PC costs (I know, given how much my PC ultimately cost) as well as that potential lack of knowledge about the tech' (for many in the "Master Race", this lack of knowledge is a character flaw) and that can cause problems. If there was only one place to game, that would be like one place to buy groceries. They could charge what they want, but that's not the only problem.

Given the rate that PC tech' is improving all the time, for developers to keep games "current" would mean developing games at a massively high cost to achieve the highest performance only to limit the games market to high end PC's,  Yep, increasing development costs for the purpose of limiting your market. Because, you know, "PC Master Race"! 

The fact is, If the PC was the only place to play games, hardware development would move on to fast to make games affordable for developers and ultimately, us gamers, but we still stupidly boil our sense of gaming down to numbers. We play as a goat ramming things with moon physics, but so long as we have 60fps and 1080p, the game will be a hit, but when we hear a 3rd person story driven stealth/action game releases at 30fps, we flip our lid! We're kinda stupid that way.

If we can, we'll buy it, just to enlarge our "Steam Dick" because the PC has value as a gaming platform through the lower cost of games, but if you don't buy that many games, what's the point? I understand the higher affinity for PC over a console, I do, I feel it myself. That PC is your baby, you built it you made it grow and will continue to do so and not to mention the higher cost, but that is no excuse to act like a superior ass hole.

Ultimately, we need multi-plat' games to drive the industry forward, but at the same time hold it back from moving at a rate to fast for the industry to handle and alienate people. I game on all plat's apart from the WiiU (But I still respect that console a huge amount) and want to enjoy games where they should be played.

We go to one platform, gaming as we know it will die.

Crazycrab likes this

Actually, a single platform would probably be better for the gaming industry as a whole. While the development time/money used to go to cross platform development would now go towards compatibility QA for the myriad of PC specs (which would also ensure proper scaling for low-mid range hardware), the fact that we'd be one single install base would be a huge boon to sales.

Not even touching the whole "PC gaming is note expensive" though. I don't know how many times we have to argue that you don't need to buy top of the line specs to play games before people start to catch on.

Actually, a single platform would probably be better for the gaming industry as a whole. While the development time/money used to go to cross platform development would now go towards compatibility QA for the myriad of PC specs (which would also ensure proper scaling for low-mid range hardware), the fact that we'd be one single install base would be a huge boon to sales.

Not even touching the whole "PC gaming is note expensive" though. I don't know how many times we have to argue that you don't need to buy top of the line specs to play games before people start to catch on.

I think the point he's trying to get at (and I agree with him) is that if it were just one platform there would be no competition and the market would monopolized alowing publishers, manufacturers and devs to do and charge whatever they want, ultimately scewing US over.

There's no way Steam would do the discounts they do if consoles didn't exist.  They have to charge less to justify the more expensive hardware, digital only download and DRM otherwise no one bother with a PC.  The flipside is true to, if the consoles had the same expense and digital only restrictions as PC (which almost happened) no one would buy a console.  

If all but one platform were to disappear today.....

.....The one that remains would crank their prices up to 13 tomorrow.  Competition and difference including platform exclusive material is what's needed for balanced market.

Shagger and Mr_E_Meatshield like this

The fact is, If the PC was the only place to play games, hardware development would move on to fast to make games affordable for developers and ultimately, us gamers, but we still stupidly boil our sense of gaming down to numbers.

That's extremely unlikely given that many PC users aren't even people constantly looking to upgrade. Developers would still have to create games that can run on hardware that the majority of people have so that they can make a profit, most studios wouldn't even be capable of being able to constantly develop more and more demanding games and with the constant rising popularity of indie titles there's no reason to believe that the majority of people would even be looking to buy or even want the newest and most demanding game. Games like This War of Mine and Valkyria Chronicles making it to the top of the steam best seller list shows that. It's already possible to get a PC much more powerful than what games are currently using

If there was only one place to game, that would be like one place to buy groceries. They could charge what they want

There's no way Steam would do the discounts they do if consoles didn't exist.  They have to charge less to justify the more expensive hardware, digital only download and DRM otherwise no one bother with a PC.

That would be more probable if the only think left was a console and the only thing they had to compete with was their own marketplace and their own prices for online play, but Steam isn't just competing with consoles. Steam would have sales to compete with Origin/Green Man Gaming/GamersGate/GoG/Whatever new service appears/etc. Even if that weren't true, Steam and developers make money off of their sales (even more so when they start putting little games in with their sales about collecting cards or getting more sales for your team), they put a 75% off on a game that hasn't been selling at all and suddenly it reaches the top of the charts, likely bought mostly by people who never had planned on even looking at the game before and who will end up never even playing it. Steam prices are usually cheaper than console game prices by default, they would have very little reason to do the sales they do now if it was only to beat out the prices of console games.

That's extremely unlikely given that many PC users aren't even people constantly looking to upgrade. Developers would still have to create games that can run on hardware that the majority of people have so that they can make a profit, most studios wouldn't even be capable of being able to constantly develop more and more demanding games and with the constant rising popularity of indie titles there's no reason to believe that the majority of people would even be looking to buy or even want the newest and most demanding game. Games like This War of Mine and Valkyria Chronicles making it to the top of the steam best seller list shows that. It's already possible to get a PC much more powerful than what games are currently using

You are right, and whilst I believe that developers have the common sense to keep games at a reasonable level in terms of hardware demands, I'm not entirely convinced that gamers, especially those on PC, have to common sense to want it that way. If we suddenly only had PC's, demand for more power hungry games, especially from AAA developers, would increase. Think about it, how many times have we seen people on these very forums making that stupid claim that development for games on both PC and console is holding the PC back. Again, you're right, games have to stay at a reasonable level to keep them affordable and that's just as true on PC as it is on console. However, both those statements can't be true and I'm glad to see that someone else is wise enough to see that.

That would be a probably if the only think left was a console and the only thing they had to compete with was their own marketplace and their own prices for online play, but Steam isn't just competing with consoles. Steam would have sales to compete with Origin/Green Man Gaming/GamersGate/GoG/Whatever new service appears/etc. Even if that weren't true, Steam and developers make money off of their sales (even more so when they start putting little games in with their sales about collecting cards or getting more sales for your team), they put a 75% off on a game that hasn't been selling at all and suddenly it reaches the top of the charts, likely bought mostly by people who never had planned on even looking at the game before and who will end up never even playing it. Steam prices are usually cheaper than console game prices by default, they would have very little reason to do the sales they do now if it was only to beat out the prices of console games.

This part I'm not so sure I agree on because different buying methods, like between steam and origin for example, may have exclusive deals, but not exclusive games like other platforms do. I agree with crab, I see the fact that games on PC cost less not as a benefit, but a compromise for the digital platform, DRM, higher priced hardware and most of all a lack of potential for trade in, swapping and lending, and that's something that increases the value of disk based console games (I want to point out quickly that is also a reason why I find the price of digital games on console a complete piss take, but that's another rant for another day). I see what you mean about games getting a big steam discount and then selling well, but I personally don't understand why someone would buy a game they have no interest in at any cost, so there are clearly people out there not really purchasing games in a responsible manner.

Crazycrab likes this

What a tasty controversial topic.. Mind if I jump in? :D

It's frankly a misconception that PC's are "Impractical". There's a variety of different case sizes and Steam box is simply a Mitx case PC + In the future I have no question that gaming computers and casual computers will be about the same size. You can use any accessory that the consoles have on your PC. 

The phrase that "Without consoles there would be nothing to hold us back" is both true.. And false. The only games that aim for the highest and greatest are triple A titles, and as they aim for the biggest demographic they WOULDN'T make games that only work on the best PC's, because the market they aim for has to be wide as the widest of seas.. PC has proven that there's a HUGE market for games that don't necessarily look the best, but have a interesting style. The only thing that WOULD change is that there would be MORE games like Crysis 1 was that challenged the hardware to its limits back in the day. A large amount of PC gamers don't give a shit as long as the game is 60 fps with 1080p options. And that won't change until 4k becomes the new standard. Which won't be too soon because it's pretty much uncharted territory in the moment, even without the help of consoles. Running games on 4k on the PC isn't viable if you want a smooth gameplay experience for newer titles..

So in summary - I don't think what you says would happen. The newest and greatest GPU's and CPU's have been supported on the PC for a long ass time even during the console era, and catering to the masses would be the most common practice, console or no console.

Only reason why I think consoles are any good is because it's easier for families to control what their kids do (As there are family friendly restrictions that parents can put on their kids.) and that the form factor is good with a small amount of power as well (Though the real stats are on the level of a low-mid end PC.).

yeah i agree with the OP in general, but what i dont agree with is things like getting all pissed off when games release at 30 fps, not in 1080p for example.

you got major jumps in performance and quality, and graphics engines from 5-7 gens. 8th gen of consoles has pretty much done nothing so far other than piss people off. for 7 years in the 7th gen, console gamers have put up with no 1080p, no 60 fps, and a cap of graphical capabilities.

you would have thought the 8th gen of consoles would close that gap and push the boundaries even further, but it didn't it's merely an extension of the 7th gen. most of the games we are seeing can run on 7th gen consoles. there's still no 1080p and 60 fps on a vast majority of games.

it simply isn't good enough. when the PS3 released, it was the best gaming machine you could buy for a short while. there was no better gaming PC at the time of launch. the PS4 should have been that, around £600 and more powerful than average gaming PC that costs at least £800 without the monitor and peripherals. it simply wasn't that.

I agree with what most of what the thread creator has said, but will go further to say that even a console is the only game system available, the price gouging will still happen.

A lot of my views on exclusivity, I have already shared in this thread.

As for PC not being for everyone, that's also true, but not because of the cost to build or buy one:

Not everyone is going to want to go through that, or is tech savvy enough to solve things like that. If PC were the only one left, gaming would be exclusionary once again.

It's ok to be disappointed that games aren't 60 FPS on PC, however it's silly to throw a hissy fit about it. Then you have those individuals who go all dickishly go "If it ain't 60 FPS, I ain't playing it. It have standards." If you don't want to play a 30FPS game on PC, don't play it. No need to be a dick about it, and no need to put down consoles because they don't have games running at 60FPS either.

When there's an exclusive that you want on a system that you have no plans on buying, there's no reason to say something as childish as:

Destiny: Looks decent, is a ps4 only shooter - may as well have been cancelled.

Take a look at the X1. What is its main selling point now that its exclusives aren't exclusives anymore? Rumor has it that both Forza Horizon 2 and Sunset Overdrive are also heading to PC.

Personally, if that actually happens, my only reason to get an X1 will be Halo 5, and with what's going on with its games right now, there's a chance that might get on PC too.