• Welcome to the Angry Joe Show Army!

Join our community of gamers passionate about our community and our hobby! Whether it's playing, discussing, or watching games, regardless of platform, genre, or location, we have a place for you, always!

• PS4 Forum

The AJSA Playstation 4 Division: Game Nights and More!

The AJSA is on Playstation 4! Join us for weekly Game Nights with a selection of the best games the PS4 has to offer!

• XBO Forum

The AJSA Xbox One Division: We Got You Covered!

The AJSA Xbox One Division is ready to connect with you on XBox Live with a ton of events for the best Xbox games!

• News Archive

The Best News from the Best Sites, Every Week.

The AJSA News Collection Team is hard at work condensing a week's worth of news into one giant-sze digest for you to chew on and discuss! Links to source articles are always provided!

• More Info

The AJSA Expeditionary Force: Deploying to Play the Best PC Games!

The elite vanguard of the AJSA, the Expeditionary Force (EF) chooses a new PC game every week! Join us for weekly events and help decide if the game has a future in the AJSA.

• The Team

Streaming Now: The AJSA Stream Team

Joe can't stream every game, but our talented AJSA Stream Team covers a wide variety of games and personalities! Check them out, and show them some AJSA Love!

• The Tube

The AJSA Community YouTube Channel

Featuring news, gameplay clips, and more from the community! The Community is a chance to showcase the best moments in AJSA Gaming!

Kcdmgirl

Stop putting Micro transactions in our AAA games!

14 posts in this topic

(I addressed this on the AC Unity topic but I have decided to post it here too, but I feel it was worth some discussion so I put it here as this is a growing, nasty-ass trend that has to stop)

STOP PUTTING MICRO TRANSACTIONS INSIDE OUR GAMES!

I remember a time when you could play offline and nothing would hinder gameplay and everything was unlock-able without an internet connection. Now I know some people will say to me "But online gaming is the future!" well if thats true, I guess everybody who is stationed overseas (like me) with their families are screwed since we cannot upgrade our connection to another company. Seriously though, you don't need to lock off content like outfits or weapons to make the player go and play the mobile app or purchase them with real money in-game, that feels just... just wrong. I appreciate the free DLC and all, and the Co-op though I haven't had the opportunity to try it was a good idea to replace the multiplayer and I've heard a lot of people are having fun with it (and I am so glad you can play those missions offline too) but when the game is forcing you to go elsewhere to get something that you should have anyway, it feels very wrong and can be frustrating. This isn't just Ubisoft either, Bioware has recently jumped on this bandwagon with Dragon Age: Inquisition as well as Capcom in the past. Nobody likes Micro transactions, we already paid $60 so let us play the goddamn game! How about instead of paying for it, you work for the outfit/weapon/content with a super difficult side-mission and you're rewarded at the end with it so you can feel even more badass when you put it on knowing that you worked for it (Look at Skyrim or Metal Gear Solid: Peacewalker as examples, both games are AAA without Micro transactions but do what I just described instead) or if its a fighting game, how about after completing a really difficult challenge that rewards you with it like beat down 50 enemies using only one health bar or pull off 30 super-moves in a set time limit? 

Either way, I think we can all agree this trend of paying in game for something that should be there anyway, has to stop and if left unchecked could lead to serious problems. 

Apex Spartan likes this

Microtransactions and DLC have to be handled a certain way to be fair, but they do have a place. There is nothing in your post I don't agree with, but DLC and microtransactions aren't the problem, it's comapnies using these buisness models the wrong way that's cauing problems.

Good DLC: You buy a game, liked it, then when you're done, the developer creates an expansion or some new customisation choices to buy to help the origonal game live a bit longer.

Bad DLC: Fully developing a game to then chop off part of the product and sell it back to people as if it's separate.

Good microtransactions: A free to play or otherwise discounted game that allows to play the game with the pay to play content desirable, but not essential to actually play the game without stupidly long pay-walls and other restrictions. Fixing the game in any way so that people who pay have an advantage over those who don't in the same competitive environment it unacceptable.

Bad microtransactions: Pretty much to opposite of the above. "Here's a free game! Oh, you want an arm as well as a leg, FUCK YOU GIVE ME MONEY!"

It's basically 'pay-for-cheats'. That said, most games that I've played that are single (or co-op) player and have microtransactions in them aren't hard enough to have any need for mentioned "cheats". Dead Space 3 is a great example. Not to even mention that there many different ways of cheating a single player game, like trainers for instance.

Twenty9Twelve likes this

I agree with you guys, don't know what happened but I start to notice this trend of including microtransactions and costly DLC in games published by Westerns(I mean Europe and NA) game companies.

But I think we can not do nothing, unless we can rally players to stop support or at least made those companies feels the threats that their ways of milking is coming to a bad turn and even then, I suppose, will take times. 'Cause I wonder if they started to think we are idiots and will pay anyway to get those parts of games unlocked. Hell, their games these days aren't that good to begin with.

That's why I think I see more and more players stick to small companies or support indie games. Some changes their attention to Asian game(esp. Japanese games), some plays with high caution which I suppose, why you guys love Angry Joe(great reviewer).

Some just pays anyways.

If people pay for it, developers will keep putting in there. It's a simple concept. If people were not such a moronic imitation of a gamer we would see way less microtransactions and overpriced pointless dlcs.

This will become a dangerous trend as long as gamers will support it by constantly buying those horrible DLCs and microtransactions.

I don't mind microtransactions so long as it doesn't create a paywall between me and quality content. If it's "you want to enter this area? I want 10 dollars!" then that's crap, if it's "you could spend 10,000 in-game coins to buy this lamp, or a dollar of your real money if you don't want to spend time farming money", I don't see the problem. It's essentially just a way of speeding up people's access to content. Like the packs you buy on FIFA Ultimate Team, if you want to play a few games and earn the money to buy a pack, you can do that, if you want to buy 10 packs right now, spend a little of your cash to cheat.

There are various ways of doing microtransactions, and not all of them are particularly bad. The reason they get put into all these games though is because publishers need to be able to make money off a game after it's been used. We've seen the extent some have gone to with EA's online pass bullshit, microtransactions are just a continuation of that, something that not everyone is going to use so people don't get so pissed off, but something that will still make them money.

I just don't know what to do about it though, I don't want to boycott the games since many of them are still pretty good without the micro-transactions I want to boycott the practice. We need to get people talking about this though, and raise awareness that we do not want this practice to continue. Especially with next gen games and the next gen cycle just starting. 

We should probably stop buying micro-transaction stuff first.

Microtransactions and DLC have to be handled a certain way to be fair, but they do have a place. There is nothing in your post I don't agree with, but DLC and microtransactions aren't the problem, it's comapnies using these buisness models the wrong way that's cauing problems.

Good DLC: You buy a game, liked it, then when you're done, the developer creates an expansion or some new customisation choices to buy to help the origonal game live a bit longer.

Bad DLC: Fully developing a game to then chop off part of the product and sell it back to people as if it's separate.

Good microtransactions: A free to play or otherwise discounted game that allows to play the game with the pay to play content desirable, but not essential to actually play the game without stupidly long pay-walls and other restrictions. Fixing the game in any way so that people who pay have an advantage over those who don't in the same competitive environment it unacceptable.

Bad microtransactions: Pretty much to opposite of the above. "Here's a free game! Oh, you want an arm as well as a leg, FUCK YOU GIVE ME MONEY!"

You are right though, there are some pretty good DLC's out there, like Saints Row 4: Gat Out of Hell, Assassins Creed 3: Tyranny of King Washington or Assassins Creed 4: Freedom Cry, and TellTale's Walking Dead: 400 Days being really good examples of DLC and expansions or Netherrealm's Mortal Kombat (2011) extra character DLC where you could just pay for the individual characters and still get their stories in the ladder mode, however its the micro-transactions I just still cannot stand and that companies are running wild with, first it was with mobile games (See Joe's review of Star Trek: Trexels if you want a really good example of bad micro-transactions) and maybe I'm just old-fashioned but for console games especially, I already paid the $60 so let me play the goddamn game! 

I use the free code for Assassins Creed Unity as a prop to keep my Xbox from wobbling on the table.

I've done my part against micro transactions.

Good DLC: Nintendo and Mario Kart 8. Two new cups, three new characters, four new karts at a reasonable price. And if you buy the pack that will have both expansions, you get some free goodies like multi-colored Yoshis and Shy Guys.

Bad DLC: Destiny and their bullshit. I have no comment.

I've already mentioned several times what my thoughts are on Microtransactions in games and honestly I'm tired of re-stating them. My best advice to you as well as anyone here is that you start a petition to do something about it or something else along those lines.

As long as money can be made off players wanting Disc-locked swimsuit packages in Dead or Alive, or those slightly less shitty maps for Call of Duty, or a manlier voice for your soldier on Planetside 2, Microtransactions will always be there.

Complaining about them won't do anything but ease the pain.

Emphase likes this