• Welcome to the Angry Joe Show Army!

Join our community of gamers passionate about our community and our hobby! Whether it's playing, discussing, or watching games, regardless of platform, genre, or location, we have a place for you, always!

• PS4 Forum

The AJSA Playstation 4 Division: Game Nights and More!

The AJSA is on Playstation 4! Join us for weekly Game Nights with a selection of the best games the PS4 has to offer!

• XBO Forum

The AJSA Xbox One Division: We Got You Covered!

The AJSA Xbox One Division is ready to connect with you on XBox Live with a ton of events for the best Xbox games!

• News Archive

The Best News from the Best Sites, Every Week.

The AJSA News Collection Team is hard at work condensing a week's worth of news into one giant-sze digest for you to chew on and discuss! Links to source articles are always provided!

• More Info

The AJSA Expeditionary Force: Deploying to Play the Best PC Games!

The elite vanguard of the AJSA, the Expeditionary Force (EF) chooses a new PC game every week! Join us for weekly events and help decide if the game has a future in the AJSA.

• The Team

Streaming Now: The AJSA Stream Team

Joe can't stream every game, but our talented AJSA Stream Team covers a wide variety of games and personalities! Check them out, and show them some AJSA Love!

• The Tube

The AJSA Community YouTube Channel

Featuring news, gameplay clips, and more from the community! The Community is a chance to showcase the best moments in AJSA Gaming!

mouseno4

Why are consumers so judgemental?

29 posts in this topic

When it comes to games, movies, TV shows - consumers cant help themselves judging it by everything APART from seeing/experiencing it.

My sister for example, hated the prequel trilogy of Star Wars. ''Great travesty'' and the like. She is so adamant that the film makers have destroyed the franchise that she refuses to even watch the trailer for the new one. And this is someone with more Star Wars novels than novels that i own total.

Likewise, i know a LOT of people who flat out boycotted Dragon Age Inquisition, simply due to history. Bioware butchered the ending of Mass Effect 3 and trampled the Dragon Age franchise with the second game. Sure, the ending of ME3 was a flat out disaster and DA2 was a lackluster game to be sure.

These consumers base their entire opinions on past history as if its a sure sign of what to expect. I didnt hate the prequel Star Wars trilogy by any stretch - sure it was not even close to the level of the original trilogy of course. And Inquisition is a LOT better than DA2 and Origins COMBINED.

I cant speak for anyone else, but in the very least, i will give the new Star Wars movies a chance! I will make my decision on its quality AFTER I WATCH THE BLOODY THING. And now i hear rumblings of people who think Witcher 3's hype is seriously blown out of proportion?!?!

Dyzzles and Corporate Agent like this

This man gets it right. Give this man a coupon that has already expired for a free DLC.

Players. Stop being so judgemental. When you get a game, you should be happy that you payed 60$ for it and 15$ extra for the DLC that we clearly didn't cut out of the game.

You pre-ordered Dragon Age: Inquisition?  Here, have this horse and this armor. NOW BUY OUR MULTIPLAYERS CHESTS!!!!

And the new Star Wars movie? Don't worry. There won't be one special edition of it. There will be 5!!! Isn't that fantastic? We will add in some trade negotiations and more standing around, solving nothing.

Buy everything now!!!

Well in my opinion I think both of you guys are leaning a bit to one side or another. Now I agree that the Multiplayer microtransactions are bullshit, especially considering we already spent $60+ for the bloody game. But I also agree that people are getting way too judgmental over things we shouldn't even be able to judge yet. I think people SHOULD be getting mad at, game developers who release broken games or, release games with microtransactions. BUT we shouldn't immediately be negative on anything. Also, if the first Star Wars movie is total garbage, THEN we get mad. But we've only seen a bloody teaser trailer, and it actually looked good.

Long story short...consumers SHOULD be judgmental so we aren't constantly buying garbage. Game developers should take backlash for giving us bullshit so we dont keep getting sold bullshit. But that doesn't mean we have to hate on everything before we even know if there's anything worth hating.

Oh, and the Star Wars prequels are a matter of personal opinion.

Excuse me as a customer I can judge however I want that is my RIGHT as a customer. If you screw me over with a bad game in the past I have every right to judge the next game they put out however I want. It is OUR money we spend we worked hard for and sweat for. Also the fact that there is no denying how the triple A titles have gone the last several years have been quick cash grabs with sub par game content and micro transaction in almost every single game put out I understand how the customers feel and why they judge the way they do. 

Well, if you get screwed over by a publisher it's only natural to be wary the next time.

Puntosmx likes this

DISCLAIMER: this was in no way a personal stab at the OP. i just tend to use some colourful language because that's my culture, im from southern england - we swear all day long.

------------------------------------

i think it's fine to be judgemental so long as you are right about it.

for example, i judged watch dogs as crap without even playing it. iv'e seen videos and reviews, which confirmed my assumptions. almost every other judgement i have made on my own accord, has been verified to myself with news, reviews, gameplay videos and so on.

for me personally, i am hardly ever wrong on the judgements i make. if i think i will like a game, i normally am right, and if i don't think i will like a game, again, i'm normally right. i'm rarely surprised or proven wrong.

destiny is another example. i always assumed that was a majorly overhyped pile of bullshit, before it was even out, before i even read a review or saw any gameplay vids - i just made that assumption all by myself and well... what do you know, i was right about that one as well!  :blink:

i think you also have to understand that a lot of the time when people judge, it's mainly their own opinions. it's like... "i think" destiny is crap. but someone else might think it's great. if i say i think destiny is a shit game, that doesn't give it a "crap game" sticker for everyone on the planet to go by - that's just my own opinion of it. if someone else likes it, that's their choice.

too many people tend to hate / demand that every statement or opinion made about any game MUST match their own. that's wrong. if someone hates what someone else likes, tough shit - that's life.

Mexiguy and Alexander452 like this

I agree with fridgeracer, if you can have good reasons to dislike a game then feel free to dislike it. But it's hard to come up with good reasons to dislike a game/movie before anybody has really even played it/seen it, keep your expectations reasonable.

fridgeracer likes this

It's human nature.

You walk through a forest, eat some red berries and your stomach hurts, you don't eat red berries again.

You walk by a supermarket aisle, buy and eat some canned food, your stomach hurts, you don't eat that brand again.

You walk by a gaming store, buy and play some random game, your stomach hurts, you don't play anything from that company ever again.

So, for example

I loved the Star Wars trilogy, hated the prequels, I'm bound not to be hyped by the incoming sequels.

I loved JRRT's books, hated the LotR movies, when the Hobbit 1 came out it was lackluster to me, I'm not bount to watch the following two movies.

Of course one can argue, as you do, Mouse4, that the next product can be good. And thankfully it seems Inquisition goes that route and is amazing. But sadly most of the times games get hyped by the devs, publishers and media, and when it comes out and turns out to be a lousy experience, it would be naïve of consumers to get hyped again for the next thing.

But consumers pay for a product, and they have a right to be picky and judgemental, because it's something the invest on, and thus set standards on what they receive for their money.

fridgeracer likes this

I feel it is largely for me the question of 'was it worth the money?' this is especially true if I look at the single player of a game. If I had bought titanfall I would have said it was not worth my money, because there was little to no single player that would have been worth 60 bucks.

So a game was to make me feel like I made a good investment. If not I have to say I will judge games by the same developer more critically in the future because they did not deliver the previous time I purchased their game.

So a game was to make me feel like I made a good investment. If not I have to say I will judge games by the same developer more critically in the future because they did not deliver the previous time I purchased their game.

exactly.

i for one absolutely loved south park stick of truth. the game was published by ubisoft only, the entire thing was developed by obsidian and to my knowledge ubisoft played no development role at all, other than simply publishing the game.

because of that game being such a good memory to me, i am looking forward to Pillars of Eternity, because Obsidian is the developer for it. if one game someone makes gives me a good impact, then i am more likely to believe the next one will also be good.

just like as many have also said, if something you try doesn't work for you one time, then the next time around from that same developer / publisher, you aren't going to be as accepting of it due to the previous disappointments.

Puntosmx likes this

I think most people have lost their trust in the developers and puplishers when they played some of the bad games 

And now they are more "carefull" than before, because they don't wanna waste 60$ on a game that only might be good, but has a big chance of being fucking terrible.

Personally i have already too many games to complete right now. So i will just wait until the games that interested me a tiny bit becomes dirt cheap. 

And if it's bad i can say to myself "Well it was cheap(im talking really cheap), so for that price it was alright i guess"

Puntosmx likes this

Personally i have already too many games to complete right now. So i will just wait until the games that interested me a tiny bit becomes dirt cheap. 

And if it's bad i can say to myself "Well it was cheap(im talking really cheap), so for that price it was alright i guess"

same ideology here. i previously expressed here my dislike of dishonored. it wasn't a bad game by a long shot but it wasn't brilliant for me either, but... i did only pay £3.74 for it. it gave me 20 something hours worth of time and i am not that fussed about my dissapointments in it due to the piss low price i paid for it.

i've paid more for KFC than that on many occasions. although lately it's mainly been x6 hot wings.

Puntosmx and Alexander452 like this

same ideology here. i previously expressed here my dislike of dishonored. it wasn't a bad game by a long shot but it wasn't brilliant for me either, but... i did only pay £3.74 for it. it gave me 20 something hours worth of time and i am not that fussed about my dissapointments in it due to the piss low price i paid for it.

i've paid more for KFC than that on many occasions. although lately it's mainly been x6 hot wings.

Exactly, the less money you pay for a game, the less disappointing it will be

Humans were always like this. You can see that in history, politics, television, news, youtube comments and etc. 

There is nothing to do here but trust yourself in that matter, and perhaps influence others with your more balanced opinion.

Exactly, the less money you pay for a game, the less disappointing it will be

Untrue in my case. I buy a product, so I expect it to be functioning. Perhaps there is something good in that Australian law that forced Steam to enable refunds in case the costumer is not pleased with his product.

So even if I buy Terraria for 2$-4$ in discount, I expect it to work and deliver what it promised.

The only difference here is that you feel bad about yourself wasting more money on a broken game (Not saying bad, as that would depend on taste). The disappointment level however would depend on how broken the game is.

Isn't calling consumers judgmental.... kind of judgmental?

Mexiguy likes this

Isn't calling consumers judgmental.... kind of judgmental?

No, because you're trying to point out the problem of being too judgmental (specifically or overall).  And I must agree, he has a point - that problem exists for a long time. But that is only natural.

Humans were always like this. You can see that in history, politics, television, news, youtube comments and etc. 

There is nothing to do here but trust yourself in that matter, and perhaps influence others with your more balanced opinion.

Untrue in my case. I buy a product, so I expect it to be functioning. Perhaps there is something good in that Australian law that forced Steam to enable refunds in case the costumer is not pleased with his product.

So even if I buy Terraria for 2$-4$ in discount, I expect it to work and deliver what it promised.

The only difference here is that you feel bad about yourself wasting more money on a broken game (Not saying bad, as that would depend on taste). The disappointment level however would depend on how broken the game is.

Of course, but if the game is bad (not talking about anything broken, but more just for example The burea: xcom, alot of people said that it was bad. But based on the price i bought it to, i thought it was allright) im more happy if i spend 2$ instead of 60$ dollars.

Im of course still mad if the game does not work.

broken games are the worst

But that takes us to consider what is a broken game, what is a bad game and what is a game we don't like.

And that's a completly different discussion ^_^

Alexander452 likes this

I think a more aware and discerning consumer makes for a better industry in the long run. It ensures that the quality is high.

For those who don't care for the critique?  Well the critique isn't for you, it's for the product and company making the product. Don't take it personally.

But that takes us to consider what is a broken game, what is a bad game and what is a game we don't like.

And that's a completly different discussion ^_^

No game is broken!!! You players are just too stupid to play the game the right way!!! Day One: Gary's Incident was a masterpiece and you people complained about it, just to bully us publishers. You never thanked us for that masterpiece!!!

Obey us!!!

I think a more aware and discerning consumer makes for a better industry in the long run. It ensures that the quality is high.

For those who don't care for the critique?  Well the critique isn't for you, it's for the product and company making the product. Don't take it personally.

NO!!! More awareness brings only sadness!!! Stop thinking about it and just buy it you sheep!!!! BUY IT!!! BUY IT!!!

fridgeracer likes this

NO!!! More awareness brings only sadness!!! Stop thinking about it and just buy it you sheep!!!! BUY IT!!! BUY IT!!!

i fucking love this guy! every angry joe show i watch just to see this character. 

BUY IT BUY IT!!! lmao!