• Welcome to the Angry Joe Show Army!

Join our community of gamers passionate about our community and our hobby! Whether it's playing, discussing, or watching games, regardless of platform, genre, or location, we have a place for you, always!

• PS4 Forum

The AJSA Playstation 4 Division: Game Nights and More!

The AJSA is on Playstation 4! Join us for weekly Game Nights with a selection of the best games the PS4 has to offer!

• XBO Forum

The AJSA Xbox One Division: We Got You Covered!

The AJSA Xbox One Division is ready to connect with you on XBox Live with a ton of events for the best Xbox games!

• News Archive

The Best News from the Best Sites, Every Week.

The AJSA News Collection Team is hard at work condensing a week's worth of news into one giant-sze digest for you to chew on and discuss! Links to source articles are always provided!

• More Info

The AJSA Expeditionary Force: Deploying to Play the Best PC Games!

The elite vanguard of the AJSA, the Expeditionary Force (EF) chooses a new PC game every week! Join us for weekly events and help decide if the game has a future in the AJSA.

• The Team

Streaming Now: The AJSA Stream Team

Joe can't stream every game, but our talented AJSA Stream Team covers a wide variety of games and personalities! Check them out, and show them some AJSA Love!

• The Tube

The AJSA Community YouTube Channel

Featuring news, gameplay clips, and more from the community! The Community is a chance to showcase the best moments in AJSA Gaming!

Sol Omega

Male Benefits In Gaming

13 posts in this topic

Oh boy i cant wait to see this... Are thise direct links? I dont wanna give certain people traffic.

Oh boy i cant wait to see this... Are thise direct links? I dont wanna give certain people traffic.

First one is.

The other two are fine.

This is like a creationist complaining that evolutionist theory holds privilege in the scientific community.

These perceived privileges don't increase the legitimacy of your argument and aren't evidence for your position. It's meaningless whining.

Anita, you're convinced that you speak on behalf of women per-se. But attacks on your Social Marxist views do not equate to attacks on your gender. Attacks on Feminism are not attacks on women. 

Men are not privileged because women are harassed. We're all harassed, and almost always because of something we said or did. Not because of our genitals.

Okay.... 

1. So can women. So can a child. So can any person experiencing these games. And what do they mean by gaming spaces? Are they referring to cons and such? I can only thing of incident with a Dota 2 player (I think it was Dota 2) tweeting he was about to rape a female player. I haven't heard of any discrimination other than that.

2. So the whole Jocks vs Nerds thing never happened I guess? I mean, I would say that an overly athletic and health conscience person is not the intended audience. Furthermore, what about a blind person who is male? Or an Amish male who shuns electricity? Or person who simply doesn't enjoy video games? I guess I can say they are also the intended audience because they are male.  

3. So can women. It's called being anonymous. Define contact information. Because I would never put my address, phone number, ect. as contact information on an open forum that I do not trust. That is called being smart on the internet, not being male. Just because they are male does not exempt them from stalking or harassment.. Male celebrities are stalked all the time. Call of Duty players are harassed by Battlefield players and vice versa. This fact is simply not true.  

4. A player will always have to prove their gaming cred whilst playing online. A person's gender is irrelevant. If I am a male who prefers calmer games such as Minecraft or "child" games such as the Lego games or games intended for a female audience such as a Barbie game or a My Little Pony Game I am undoubtedly going to be attacked for being a male who likes those games. 

5. Again, a high school Jock who is boasting about a game enthusiastically will be assumed by gamers to be faking his enthusiasm. Same with a younger gamer or a person one assumes not to be a huge fans of games. The same goes for gamers who are trying to fake their skill. i.e. a person who is talking shit but can not back it up. 

6. The fact that the modifier "practically" was used shows that they are aware of certain instances where the fact they are presenting is not true. 

7. I have never heard a story of a person being groped at a convention where they were cosplaying. I follow three major cosplayers, Yaya Han, Jessica Nigri and Meg Turney. I have never heard any stories from them about being groped at a covention. As for being cat called, how is this a bad thing? I understand how it can make women feel uncomfortable but when they are dress in revealing clothing this should be kind of expected. 

8. Is there a woman out there who was been asked to the female spokesperson of female gamers? Was there a vote or she self proclaimed? Who is this woman? Do women tend to speak on the behalf of other female gamers? Because that is kind of egotistical and arrogant of them. One person, unless specifically elected to do so, can not speak on the behalf of a larger group. I know of no documented instance when this was expected of a female gamer. 

9. Oh, the age old insult of "You play like a girl." Are we really taking playground insults seriously? 

10. Yes because people who stutter, have tourettes or any other audible biological disorders (or have made a disorder or biological problem known to those present) are never harassed or are the first person the team blames for a lose.

11. A Call of Duty player will attack a Battlefield player if the Battlefield player is talking about Call of Duty in a tone of voice that is unflattering of Call of Duty. The Call of Duty player will attack a Battlefield player if the Battlefield thinks Call of Duty is not the best first person shooter in existence. Weather these players are male or female is irrelevant. 

12. A male player who fits the stereotype of being a "hardcore player" is not going to attack another male for being a "casual" player just because he is male. The hardcore gamer is going to call the casual player derogatory terms  and discriminate against the casual player for being a casual player. Because they are male is irrelevant. It all deals with the "hardcore" stereotype being an asshole. (Turns out, if you think about it, most sexist gamers can be classified as asshole more so than sexist).

13. Another modifier showing that instances where this fact was shown to be false. I have never been asked at Gamestop if I am buying this game for someone else, not matter what the game was. I have never heard a female shopper being asked this question. 

14. That's sexist, to assume all males think alike. Nintendo has been primarily ran by men and you can not tell me that any Nintendo IP is geared towards a certain gender. Furthermore, those who lead the industry have very little to do with those who are playing the games. Unless the producer/developer is ridiculously famous or well known (Hideo Kojima, Sigeru Miyamoto), or the gamer is particularly interested in that sort of thing, most producers/developers go unnoticed. 

15. I can also see the same with female characters. Simply because the character on the box art shows a male character says nothing about the games story or characters. One can assume things, such as a Call of Duty box art showing a soldier can lead to the impression of it being a war simulator. But that is all you get out of it. It does not tell what the characters are like or weather or not the female characters are misrepresented or discriminated against. (And how is this a benefit of being a male gamer?)

16. I do not like this argument because simply because my main character is male has nothing to do with the story. I couldn't care less if my character was male or not. My interests lies in the story that revolves around that character, not something as trivial as my characters gender. Is this an issue that bothers female gamers? Are they also upset by watching movies that have a male protagonist? Or reading a book with a male main character? 

17. Neither do women. On a Gaming forum (such as our own wonderful AJSA) I can not tell if a user is male or female unless that user tells me so. Will I, or anyone else ask that user if they are male or female? No because it is irrelevant to the discussion. This video is giving the impression that women do not understand what online safety or anonymity is. 

18. Unless a woman's gamer handle is xXGamerChickXx, or something else that is over the top feminine, which it usually isn't, then most gamers are probably not even going to recognize that user is a woman. Again, online anonymity. I also rarely see gamers taking to the entire lobby. Most are in their own private parties. I have also never heard from my friend (whose gamertag is The Lost Princess) about a user seeing her gamertag in a lobby and purposefully going out of their way to insult or harass her.

19.  Unless a woman is being obnoxious with it or constantly saying she is a "girl gamer", her gender will most likely not be revealed and if it is will most likely go unnoticed. A girl playing a shooter has to fear being hit on more than being harassed for being a woman. If a woman is being obnoxious about her gender she will then be harassed and told to PTFO.

20. The word "Faggot" is used online as an insult against males. The player has to be male for the homophobic insult to be relevant. And, once again, unless the woman is taking part in the trash talking or talking to an entire lobby then her gender is going to go unnoticed. 

21. Again, people rarely are talking to the entire lobby and are usually in a party with friends. The times I have heard a woman talking to the entire lobby, I have never heard anyone in the lobby asking her questions like that. Furthermore, white knights would undoubtedly rise to defend her in hopes of winning the fair lady's praise. (The only time I have heard a woman asked this is when my buddy was high and we were in a party. My buddy is also an asshole, not sexist.)

22. Who sends naked pictures either during a game or on an online forum? In both instances the security measure that are in place will ban that player in a heartbeat. I have also never heard a woman being solicited for sex during an online match, also for an online forum the user will once again be banned for any kind of solicitation. 

23. I am getting tired of saying it. Party usage. Online anonymity. I never heard this conversation take place. Nice to see Adam Sessler is still doing things, even if it something like this. 

24. A male defending feminism will be harassed for doing so. People will say He is self serving by being a guy who just wants to get laid or impress women. His opinion will not be valued because others will feel like he is attacking their art form. He has zero credibility if he is an unknown person simply stating something on an open forum. 

25. How is this a benefit? Why did he feel the need to mention that this list was created by a man who was both straight and white? Race and Sexual preference were not the point of this video, gender equality was. This point is invalid and should not exist. Also, I do not care about you being a straight white male. I disagreed with the points, these facts as it were. I was not arguing with a person, I was arguing with a stance in a debate. If it was presented by a woman I would argue the exact same points in the exact manner. 

I don't see the imbalance in the games themselves. Arguing that the games are sexist is the same as arguing a movie or book is sexist. Unless a character is made specifically for that reason, you can not take this art form as such.  I agree that women are discriminated against by the community but this has lessen as more female gamers have emerged. You can not tell me that there is a steady decline in the sexual discrimination towards women in gaming as the years have gone on. People fear the unknown. For a time, only males played video games or at least were the main demographic. I akin this to a white man trying to become a rapper. It is uncommon and unknown at first, but as time goes on it will become more and more accepted. White people didn't try to change rap, people simply grew to accept them. That is what needs to happen here. 

The third video contains the original.

Sessler's in that video.

Makes me very sad.

Sessler has recommended Marxist literature in the past, I wasn't surprised the see him.

It certainly gave me something to ponder.

Personally I typically avoid this subject because I believe that both sides of the arguements have too low opinions of each other to be taken seriously, at least by the vocal minority. I like to think video games have the potential to bring people together rather than apart.

It does make sad however that as someone who idenfies themselves as a gamer, among many other things, that there are people who are adverse to being members of the community because of their gender, enthic background, age, etc. Because I LOVE when people join our community, be it the Angry Army or the gaming community as a whole., who join and thereby contribute to growing diversity of people we have to play with and compete with.

Personally I don't think this arguement is going to be settled in the sense of one side being ultimately being vindicated as right or wrong. Instead I believe that over time cooler-heads will prevail and the gamer community will evolve naturally, I hope, to become more accessible to more people across the world and we'll see that people were getting worked up over fictional characters and fictional situations. But that will take time before things settle down. What I don't like about this debate is that I feel like everyone wants an immediate, ultimate, solution like its a video game, but it's not.

Puntosmx likes this

Well you asked for it so here it is:

1. I can choose to remain completely oblivious, or indifferent to the harassment that many women face in gaming spaces. (vague and can be applied to anything)
  2. I am never told that video games or the surrounding culture is not intended for me because I am male. (Is any woman actually told this? I've seen games geared towards women and my niece and my ex who gamed never had this problem.)
  3. I can publicly post my username, gamertag or contact information online without having to fear being stalked or sexually harassed because of my gender. (Women here seem to have no problem posting the first two, and to my knowledge none of them have had any harassment. Posting your contact info online is an invite for harassment regardless of gender.)
  4. I will never be asked to “prove my gaming cred” simply because of my gender. (what is "gaming cred" and why does anyone care about being asked to prove it? Anyone asking that question is clearly dumb.)
  5. If I enthusiastically express my fondness for video games no one will automatically assume I’m faking my interest just to “get attention” from other gamers. (Why would ANYONE care about how sincere you appear to others about liking video games? If that's your biggest problem in life you don't really have too many problems now do you.)
  6. I can look at practically any gaming website, show, or magazine and see the voices of people of my own gender widely represented. ([publications maybe, I don't really read any printed gaming mags or watch gaming related TV shows so I can't speak on this. But with the internet EVERYONE has a voice and if you feel a niche isn't being met YOU have the ability to fill that niche. Pave your own way, create, and be a badass)
  7. When I go to a gaming event or convention, I can be relatively certain that I won’t be harassed, groped, propositioned or catcalled by total strangers. (I don't go to gaming conventions so I can't really say, but  I have not heard of rampant underground female sex trafficking at gaming conventions either)
  8. I will never be asked or expected to speak for all other gamers who share my gender. (I don't understand what this means)
  9. I can be sure that my gaming performance (good or bad) won’t be attributed to or reflect on my gender as a whole. (No but as a man if I suck I will probably be called an expletive... even if I'm good someone will probably call me an expletive. But the people calling me whatever expletive probably fail at life or take the game too seriously and my emotions remain intact)
  10. My gaming ability will never be called into question based on unrelated natural biological functions. (Anyone trying to judge random people on "gaming ability" has WAY more things about themselves that they're calling into question for me to take seriously)
  11. I can be relatively sure my thoughts about video games won’t be dismissed or attacked based solely on my tone of voice, even if I speak in an aggressive, obnoxious, crude or flippant manner. (Who cares if random people don't take your thoughts on fake things seriously?)
  12. I can openly say that my favorite games are casual, odd, non-violent, artistic, or cute without fear that my opinions will reinforce a stereotype that “men are not real gamers.” (Nobody should care about being a "real" gamer.)
  13. When purchasing most major video games in a store, chances are I will not be asked if (or assumed to be) buying it for a wife, daughter or girlfriend. (Is there a pandemic of store clerks that just have to pester women who are buying video games if they're buying it for a man? And if so who even cares? Buy your game, have fun, and leave digital corpses behind)
  14. The vast majority of game studios, past and present, have been led and populated primarily by people of my own gender and as such most of their products have been specifically designed to cater to my demographic. (My take on this may seem rather harsh so be forewarned. If one feels under represented in a medium that they love then they have the choice to produce content that is more palatable to their taste. No one owes anybody anything. Do not expect someone to make something just for you unless you yourself commissioned it. Produce or consume.)
  15. I can walk into any gaming store and see images of my gender widely represented as powerful heroes, dastardly villains and non-playable characters alike. (I can think of a woman equivalent for each, though granted the men to women ratio maybe one sided in some areas, but I do not produce games so I do not have control over that and must succumb to the creators will or pave my own way)
  16. I will almost always have the option to play a character of my gender, as most protagonists or heroes will be male by default. (Produce or consume)
  17. I do not have to carefully navigate my engagement with online communities or gaming spaces in order to avoid or mitigate the possibility of being harassed because of my gender. (False. EVERYONE is harassed online.)
  18. I probably never think about hiding my real-life gender online through my gamer-name, my avatar choice, or by muting voice-chat, out of fear of harassment resulting from my being male. (I don't mute that shit out of fear, I do it out of disinterest of hearing children cuss at everything ever. Being scared of that is a personal problem.)
  19. When I enter an online game, I can be relatively sure I won’t be attacked or harassed when and if my real-life gender is made public (Probably will be harassed WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWAAAAAAAAY before that. Actually it isn't harassment as much as it is just annoying)
  20. If I am trash-talked or verbally berated while playing online, it will not be because I am male nor will my gender be invoked as an insult. (Being male incurs its own set of insults just as being a woman does)
  21. While playing online with people I don’t know I won’t be interrogated about the size and shape of my real-life body parts, nor will I be pressured to share intimate details about my sex life for the pleasure of other players. (Bullshit, plenty of kids will say shit like "you have a tiny dick" and what not. Not to mention calling each other virgins while widely exaggerating their own sexual prowess.)
  22. Complete strangers generally do not send me unsolicited images of their genitalia or demand to see me naked on the basis of being a male gamer. (no but they will certainly send you lemonparty)
  23. In multiplayer games I can be pretty sure that conversations between other players will not focus on speculation about my “attractiveness” or “sexual availability” in real-life. (Nope, plenty of kids will say shit like "You're obviously a virgin" "you don't have a girlfriend" and so one and so forth)
  24. If I choose to point out sexism in gaming, my observations will not be seen as self-serving, and will therefore be perceived as more credible and worthy of respect than those of my female counterparts, even if they are saying the exact same thing. (Some will care about this topic, some wont.)
  25. Because it was created by a straight white man, this checklist will likely be taken more seriously than if it had been written by virtually any female gamer. (I disagree, I still would think this was done. Unless the person who created this list had 8 arms and a banana for a leg. Then I'd be interested... mostly in the 8 armed banana legged person but still)

So take from this what you will. I'm a man so yeah, I guess according to this you all will listen to me more.

I'm not saying that due to the outcomes of some more recent threads, as well as some threads from months ago, that we don't currently trust our community to talk about women in the gaming communtiy without posting anything insulting, offensive, or bringing up politics not related to the issue, but for now that is what I'm saying.