• Welcome to the Angry Joe Show Army!

Join our community of gamers passionate about our community and our hobby! Whether it's playing, discussing, or watching games, regardless of platform, genre, or location, we have a place for you, always!

• PS4 Forum

The AJSA Playstation 4 Division: Game Nights and More!

The AJSA is on Playstation 4! Join us for weekly Game Nights with a selection of the best games the PS4 has to offer!

• XBO Forum

The AJSA Xbox One Division: We Got You Covered!

The AJSA Xbox One Division is ready to connect with you on XBox Live with a ton of events for the best Xbox games!

• News Archive

The Best News from the Best Sites, Every Week.

The AJSA News Collection Team is hard at work condensing a week's worth of news into one giant-sze digest for you to chew on and discuss! Links to source articles are always provided!

• More Info

The AJSA Expeditionary Force: Deploying to Play the Best PC Games!

The elite vanguard of the AJSA, the Expeditionary Force (EF) chooses a new PC game every week! Join us for weekly events and help decide if the game has a future in the AJSA.

• The Team

Streaming Now: The AJSA Stream Team

Joe can't stream every game, but our talented AJSA Stream Team covers a wide variety of games and personalities! Check them out, and show them some AJSA Love!

• The Tube

The AJSA Community YouTube Channel

Featuring news, gameplay clips, and more from the community! The Community is a chance to showcase the best moments in AJSA Gaming!

Lhouraii

Favourite RPG?

41 posts in this topic

I'm just wondering what everyones favourite RPG's are?

Also, if you could create an awesome RPG what would it be like?

If I could create one it would actually be pretty girly and magical, because there are soooo many good rpgs out there but I've never seen one that's girly. I love non-girly games, of course! However, I would like the option to play a girly game too, all girly games are pretty bad and childish. I doubt many of you would like my game! >_< I don't really know what the story would be or anything, I would just like to see something other than the usual dank forests and castles rpgs (which I LOVE btw).

My game would have mermaids, fairies, unicorns, etc, but still have that rpg feel to it. There would be magical forests that sparkle and fields full of colourful flowers and Sakura blossoms! Yeah, I don't know - I'm sure many of you will have awesome ideas! I'm interested in knowing them! <3

Silverfox likes this

There's so many RPGs to choose from, and different kinds too. It's hard to pick one.

I suppose Dark Souls is an RPG, so I'd say that. Other then that, I suppose the Elder scrolls (Oblivion and Skyrim), Final Fantasy 10, Dragon Age Origins, Tales of Vesperia, and the Dot Hack series (That I still have yet to finish because I never got the 4th game.)

As far as creating one, I'm not sure. I guess a mix of things from the games I mentioned. The sort of online mmo feel that dot hack gave without being an mmo, the interesting but not game breaking story twists from Vesperia, open world from elder scrolls, and other things I'd need to think of more.

As for your idea, look into Eternal Sonata (I think it was that game). Maybe it's what you're looking for? I couldn't get too far into it. Fighting mushrooms with an unbrella wasn't what I expected to be playing in the first 5 minutes of the game.

Lhouraii likes this

Tough choice but I think I would ultimately go with Dark Souls (I know such a shocker if you know me XD).

I choose it due to the replay value, the lore hunting I personally enjoyed, and the epic boss fights that give you a challenge.

Though if we go with just story alone maybe Dragon Age Origins or Kingdom Hearts (I always find it odd how KH is classified as an RPG since the RPG elements are not really big when compared to most RPGs but I'll include it since it is classified as one oddly.)

Lhouraii likes this

There's so many RPGs to choose from, and different kinds too. It's hard to pick one.

I suppose Dark Souls is an RPG, so I'd say that. Other then that, I suppose the Elder scrolls (Oblivion and Skyrim), Final Fantasy 10, Dragon Age Origins, Tales of Vesperia, and the Dot Hack series (That I still have yet to finish because I never got the 4th game.)

As far as creating one, I'm not sure. I guess a mix of things from the games I mentioned. The sort of online mmo feel that dot hack gave without being an mmo, the interesting but not game breaking story twists from Vesperia, open world from elder scrolls, and other things I'd need to think of more.

As for your idea, look into Eternal Sonata (I think it was that game). Maybe it's what you're looking for? I couldn't get too far into it. Fighting mushrooms with an unbrella wasn't what I expected to be playing in the first 5 minutes of the game.

Yeah, Skyrim is such a fantastic open world! I love it so much! I haven't heard of a couple of those you mentioned so I'm going to look them up!

I looked up your suggestion, 'Eternal Sonata', it's not what I meant but it looks pretty good, I'll probably buy it if I see it, thanks! <3

If we're talking great characters - Final Fantasy VII;

If we're talking great story - Final Fantasy IX;

If we're talking great gameplay - Diablo and the like (I like that sort of gameplay the most I've noticed).

Basically any RPG that doesn't have an open world (or one that's too big like Skyrim) works for me. Also, one thing I've always hated about FF series: random encounters and the grindy nature of the games, otherwise they are pretty much the best in the business, at least in my opinion.

My game would have mermaids, fairies, unicorns, etc, but still have that rpg feel to it. There would be magical forests that sparkle and fields full of colourful flowers and Sakura blossoms! Yeah, I don't know - I'm sure many of you will have awesome ideas! I'm interested in knowing them! <3

Faries, Unicorns and so on are elements of fantasy art and storytelling that I think have a wider appeal than just "girly" so I wouldn't worry about that not appealing to guys, hell you said yourself that other games with big burly men's men fighting Dragons doesn't putt you off so I don't the reverse would be a problem either, at least for most of us.

Favourite RPG's for me in no particular order:

The Elder Scrolls Series.

Fallout 3

The Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time

Final Fantasy 10

Lhouraii likes this

Faries, Unicorns and so on are elements of fantasy art and storytelling that I think have a wider appeal than just "girly" so I wouldn't worry about that not appealing to guys, hell you said yourself that other games with big burly men's men fighting Dragons doesn't putt you off so I don't the reverse would be a problem either, at least for most of us.

Favourite RPG's for me in no particular order:

The Elder Scrolls Series.

Fallout 3

The Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time

Final Fantasy 10

OMG Zelda! I love Zelda too much! I didn't think it was an rpg though, I could be wrong.

And yeah, fantasy! I love the fantasy genre! It would also be very pink/purple too though! I reeeeeeeally hope something like that gets made someday! <3

My fav rpg...does something like persona count even if i've never played it XD? 

As for if i could make one..Something like sword art online...minus the dying of course. over 4k player deaths would be bad for business lol

Favorite Role-Playing game? I would typically answer Skyrim but I would also say that my trully favorite RPGs are those I play with my friends during our weekly tabletop sessions.

The best part I find with pen and paper role-playing games are what is possible is limited to your imagination rather than what is possible with the technology. Currently Pathfinder is my personal favorite, considering how godlike you can become if you build your character correctly. World of Darkness is also nice for the more gloomy and grim settings.

Behr and Lhouraii like this

My Favorite RPG must and always will be, Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind. It's a game that screws you over without even telling you, how can I be contradicting myself?
The game never hand-holds you in any way, but during your time with the game, it tells you how to play the game and you find out by exploring. The better you are improving your thinking the better you are playing the player they give you to play.

Some things doesn't make any sense (like leveling up jumping) but it's not suppose to be a game about jumping, you just level it up because you get stronger legs. Some items are quest items, but if you haven't listen to the dialog or remembered it.. well you can accidentally sell the item to a shop. And all the shop keepers has their own pocket money so you just CANNOT sell everything you have, you bargain and improve on how to bargain in the process. These are just a few examples on what an old game delivered, it's hard if you don't notice the things you should but it's so obvious in a clever way because you remember what you are and why you are doing it (you are an adventurer).

Morrowind took the RPG Genre to the third dimention with a thrill in my opinion. Hell buy it now and get the mods that makes the game a modern game, it's an very old game so you'll know your computer can handle it with the mods.

Well I like Final Fantasy, Fallout and Mabinogi. But I haven't try out The Elder Scrolls like Skyrim and Dark Souls. You should try out the old games like Ultima and Wizardry.

Yeah, Skyrim is such a fantastic open world! I love it so much! I haven't heard of a couple of those you mentioned so I'm going to look them up!

I looked up your suggestion, 'Eternal Sonata', it's not what I meant but it looks pretty good, I'll probably buy it if I see it, thanks! <3

I heard good things about Eternal Sonata from two other people I knew. They both enjoyed it a lot but I just couldn't deal with the combat system. The story (what little I did get to see) had some promise but I think having some knowledge about writing or playing music would help immensely as it seems music is a core theme to the game judging from the character names.

If you do get it, hope you enjoy it more than I did.

Lhouraii likes this

I have a lot.

With that said, I'd like one that plays like DMC/Bayonetta, has extensive customization and story, different and unique armor and weapon sets, and what not.

I want an ACTUAL action RPG.

the hell wrong with you guys?

crono trigger is the king of rpgs 

some young ass people in here lol

chrono cross,pokemon heartgold,FF7,FFX and X-2 (stop hating the battle system is cool)

too much more to list

the hell wrong with you guys?

crono trigger is the king of rpgs 

some young ass people in here lol

chrono cross,pokemon heartgold,FF7,FFX and X-2 (stop hating the battle system is cool)

too much more to list

You're obviously an old fuddy duddy.

Listen here, GRANDPA, if it doesn't have 120 fps and 1080p graphics, then it's bullshit and not worth the time.

Fact.

I personally like Tales of Phantasia more, but hey. That's just me. That, and unless it's DBZ, I don't like Akira Toriyama's character designs.

You're obviously an hold fuddy duddy.

Listen here, GRANDPA, if it doesn't have 120 fps and 1080p graphics, then it's bullshit and not worth the time.

Fact.

I personally like Tales of Phantasia more, but hey. That's just me. That, and unless it's DBZ, I don't like Akira Toriyama's character designs.

im only 24!! lol

im hoping your joking but the sad fact is that there are some people that think like that.

lol

Sol Omega likes this

Baldurs Gate 2 is my favorite with Planescape Torment, Fallout 2, and Suikoden 2 also being some of my favorite games. When it comes to the usual kind of JRPG game I've always preferred Chrono Trigger, Seiken Densetsu, and the Tales of games.

Ideally I'd want an RPG that focuses on gathering and managing people to aid in whatever the cause for the game is (nation/area/castle/town management, war, exploration, etc), something like the strongholds in Baldurs Gate 2 or getting people and factions to join with you in the new Dragons Age or the Suikoden games, or how the crew and officers look in The Mandate.

Fighting mushrooms with an unbrella wasn't what I expected to be playing in the first 5 minutes of the game.

The game for real umbrella combat, Holy Umbrella: Dondera no Mubo.

2481364-box.png

This is video game related so moved from off topic into general.

Sol Omega likes this

Dragon Age Origins is up there for me. Pokemon Red/Blue also for being my first RPG. Morrowind because the combat doesn't bother me and the atmosphere is insanely good.

As far as making my own RPG I always thought it would be cool if a JRPG style game was made in a Dolemite style universe.

Lhouraii likes this

Mine is Skyrim by a long shot. The problem with it is that its single player only which brings me to the game I want to see. That game is Skyrim with an open world multiplayer experience where you could be a part of an actual army of other players. I thought ESO was going to be that game but most of us know how THAT turned out.

Behr likes this

I'm torn between Skyrim and Final Fantasy X. It's hard to compare the two as, even though both RPG's, they are very different. Lets say my best western and JRPG respectively.

my favs:

SNES:

- Zelda a Link to the past

- Terranigma

- Secret of Mana

- Secret of Evermore

- Chrono Trigger

N64

- Ocarina of Time

PS 2:

- Final Fantasy X

- Final Fantasy XII

- Rouge Galaxy

- Okami

- Kingdom Hearts

- Odin Sphere

- Valkyrie Profile 2

- Shadow Hearts

- Dragon Quest VIII

PC:

- Grandia 2

- Baldurs Gate 2

- Planescape Torment

- Arcanum

- Gothic 2

- The Elder Scrolls Morrowind, Oblivion and Skyrim

- Fallout 1 and 2

- The Witcher 2

- Kingdoms of Amanlur

- Mass Effect 1

- Anachronox

Lhouraii likes this

Final Fantasy VII and Mass Effect 3 are my faves. FF7 was one of the first games I got on playstation and first RPG's I played so I have a certain amount of nostalgia added to it but it's probably the only PS1 game I can still play over and over again.

Hmm, I want to say Morrowind because it has the most nostalgic value to me, even though Oblivion plays waaaaay better.

I need to get more of the old school RPG's for my SNES, like 90% of the entries on this threat alone. I have them on my list I just haven't gotten around to buying them.