• Welcome to the Angry Joe Show Army!

Join our community of gamers passionate about our community and our hobby! Whether it's playing, discussing, or watching games, regardless of platform, genre, or location, we have a place for you, always!

• PS4 Forum

The AJSA Playstation 4 Division: Game Nights and More!

The AJSA is on Playstation 4! Join us for weekly Game Nights with a selection of the best games the PS4 has to offer!

• XBO Forum

The AJSA Xbox One Division: We Got You Covered!

The AJSA Xbox One Division is ready to connect with you on XBox Live with a ton of events for the best Xbox games!

• News Archive

The Best News from the Best Sites, Every Week.

The AJSA News Collection Team is hard at work condensing a week's worth of news into one giant-sze digest for you to chew on and discuss! Links to source articles are always provided!

• More Info

The AJSA Expeditionary Force: Deploying to Play the Best PC Games!

The elite vanguard of the AJSA, the Expeditionary Force (EF) chooses a new PC game every week! Join us for weekly events and help decide if the game has a future in the AJSA.

• The Team

Streaming Now: The AJSA Stream Team

Joe can't stream every game, but our talented AJSA Stream Team covers a wide variety of games and personalities! Check them out, and show them some AJSA Love!

• The Tube

The AJSA Community YouTube Channel

Featuring news, gameplay clips, and more from the community! The Community is a chance to showcase the best moments in AJSA Gaming!

NEligahn

Knee-Deep in the Dead: FPS Retrospective Series

21 posts in this topic

Knee-Deep in the Dead is an ongoing series studying the evolution of the First-Person Shooter from the early days of the genre to today. Season 1 primarily focuses on the most important titles released in the FPS "Golden Age", between 1992 and 2001.

The first episode showcased the "grandfather" of the FPS-genre, Wolfenstein 3Dhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ldJZevsAl44

Some of my favorite episodes I've done so far include:

Doomhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x5EfGAA01Gk

Duke Nukem 3Dhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gVVKqA50Yyc

Goldeneye 007http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PWQ7CUzUjMA

And Half-Lifehttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bmXee4QUmvQ

The latest episode was dedicated to Quake 2http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FYMgscAAsJs

This series was created because I has played recent FPS campaigns and found them very lacking. In part inspired by videos by Zero Punctuation and Total Biscuit, I figured the best way to find out what went "wrong" was to go back to the beginning and trace the genre back to its roots and some of its most influential games.

I try to get an episode out every 2 weeks at maximum, but the time can vary since I try to play each game to completion so I can form a full opinion on it. I plan to update this feed with each new episode.

About myself, I've been gaming since I got a used NES back in the very early 90s. I generally stick to PC but own a 360 just in case. The first FPS I ever played was Doom on the Sega 32X. It was really a horrible port and I was very surprised when I played the ACTUAL version of Doom how good it was.

I appreciated any feedback or comments from the community. Thank you and as always, game on and take care!

-N'Eligahn

KynarethQc and Alexander452 like this

Ah, the second the music from E1M1 of Doom started up...  that song was the ringtone on my phone for the longest time.  I think it just might be again.  I won't lie, that's as far as I got right now.  I'm not awake enough yet to watch, I just wanted to take a glance at the production value of your videos really quickly.  I'll definitely have to be going back and watching.  Especially the Goldeneye one - maybe it's my age, and the fact I was a PC gamer, but I never quite understood the love for that game - so maybe I can get some insight.  :D

NEligahn likes this

Nice Job Dude, liked your vids.

Do you still plan to cover: Blood, Sin, Kingping, Marathon, Heretic, Hexen, Turok Dinosaur Hunter, Last Rites, Redneck Rampage, Alien Trilogy, Killeak the Blood, Lifeforce Tenka, and NAM?

Would be great

Keep doing your thing

NEligahn likes this

Really good!

Very informative and very well detailed, I subscribe without hesitation ;)

NEligahn likes this

To Vorpalbunneh:

Yes. Doom Soundtrack is one of my all time favorites. Admittedly, I try to keep any bias I have from showing but sometimes it comes out. And yeah, I never understood Goldeneye's full draw back in the day until recently where I looked at the accomplishments. To be honest, I was always more of a Perfect Dark fan. The fact that I could play multiplayer solo with Bots was awesome.

To Beatmaster A.C.:

Here's the episode I did on Marathon: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0nLJIDt1IMs . A lot of those games are slated for the future. Believe it or not, I have a word document of about 150+ FPSes. Some I can get working, others I can't and most of those are on it. The hardest thing was coming up with a focus and organizing the seasons. Right now, for sanity's sake, I'm focusing on the more "influential" FPSes for each period (1992-2001 for this one, 2000-2007 the next, etc.). I'm even donating a season to the WTF-period when EVERYTHING was a WWII FPS...So to answer your question, yes, eventually. ^_^

To KynarethQc:

Much appreciated! Thanks you.

And thanks all for your feedback!

I watched the full Doom ep and I liked it.  It has me wanting to break the game out again - too bad I can't find where I put it. >.<  It's probably back east at my mom's knowing my luck.  On the bright side, I did find my CD copy of Duke Nukem 3D, so I might have to break that out instead!

If you can track down a copy of Doom, in that episode's description I linked a bunch of Modsfor it that REALLY enhance it. It makes it almost an entirely new experience, especially Brutal Doom.

Greetings!

I wanted to keep this thread updated with new videos, so here's Episode 12 of K-DiD revolving around the FPS: Unreal.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0h_mUDHA9zw

Unreal was a major FPS released by Epic MegaGames in 1998 utilizing an engine that would become a pillar of the games industry. N'Eligahn finds out how it plays.

Knee-Deep in the Dead is an ongoing series studying the evolution of the First-Person Shooter from the early days of the genre to today. Season 1 mostly focuses on the most important titles released in the FPS "Golden Age", between 1992 and 2001.

Feedback and comments are appreciated. Game on and take care. ^_^

Episode 13 of Knee-Deep in the Dead focusing on Thief: The Dark Project:

Thief: The Dark Project tells the story of Garrett, a thief who thrills for the art of the steal and who gets himself into major trouble. N'Eligahn moves through the shadow to talk about the father of the modern stealth genre.

Knee-Deep in the Dead is an ongoing series studying the evolution of the First-Person Shooter from the early days of the genre to today. Season 1 mostly focuses on the most important titles released in the FPS "Golden Age", between 1992 and 2001.

Feedback and comments are appreciated. Game on and take care. ^_^

Ah Unreal.   It's really hard to say how influential and groundbreaking it was at the time, when it was released.  At the time it's graphics were pretty jaw dropping and breathtaking.  Funny looking back on it now and saying that - but it's true.  We were absolutely blown away by the game.  It was a few years before I was able to play it though - my computer couldn't handle it at the time!

NEligahn likes this

I was behind the gaming times the year it was released and wasn't able to really start catching up until the mid-2000s and this was my first time ever playing Unreal. It was the first FPS in a long time to give Doom a run for its money in terms of sheer shooting mechanics and it surprised the heck out of me. Even today the graphics hold up well. Better than some of the other games from this period I've played.

I'm pretty surprised how well they seemed to hold up.  They aren't breathtaking like they were when it was released, but it's certainly aged better than most 3D games of the era.  Just look at it compared to Quake II, or almost any playstsation game.

NEligahn likes this

Ha, definitely. Playing Rainbow Six for the next episode. Now THAT'S a game that has /not/ aged well. Both in graphics and in pathfinding.

I can't wait to see that one - that's going to be, ah... scary to say the least.  It'll be fun!

Episode 14 of Knee-Deep in the Dead focusing on the original Rainbow Six:

Rainbow Six is a hostage rescue simulation FPS focusing on an international team of operatives out to rid the world of terrorism. N'Eligahn dives into the game to find out what this game contributed to the future of shooters.

IT RETURNS!

Episode 15 of Knee-Deep in the Dead focusing on the 1999 release of Aliens vs Predator:

Aliens vs Predator is a fast-paced action shooter that focuses primarily on the playstyle differences between the three species: Alien, human and Predator. N'Eligahn jumps into each species to give you the lowdown on this action classic.

it's a good series you have going

subbed :)

however the intro sequense (you running around shooting stuff)
is a tad too long.

But the rest is good.

NEligahn likes this

Thank you. ^_^ It's something I'm kind of tweaking. Have a new one in the works, so we'll see.

Thanks for your comment!

I know it's been a long, long while, but I wanted to update this thread with the latest episode I've posted!

Jurassic Park: Trespasser - Knee-Deep In the Dead Episode 16

Jurassic Park: Trespasser is a unique first-person shooter tie-in to the blockbuster film The Lost World: Jurassic Park. It was also considered the worst game of 1998. Is it actually a hidden gem, or are the rumors of its terrible nature true?

+++

Star Wars: Jedi Knight: Dark Forces 2 - Knee-Deep In the Dead 17

Star Wars: Jedi Knight: Dark Forces 2 is the sequel to the hit game Star Wars: Dark Forces (Which we covered in the 3rd ever episode of Knee-Deep in the Dead here: https://youtu.be/Yv1amyp7Tzw ). This game brought the Star Wars experience into the 3D environments that were dominating late 90s shooters.

+++

Call of Duty - Knee-Deep In the Dead 18

Call of Duty Month begins for the first time ever with the very first entry into the franchise! How does this 12-year old game hold up and was it truly worthy of kicking off one of the biggest franchises in gaming history?

+++

Sorry for the spontaneous bump out of nowhere, but Angry Joe and the site's been great, I just wanted to keep this updated. Been trying to keep to an actual production schedule, at least for the time being. Thanks again for everyone being super awesome! :D