• Welcome to the Angry Joe Show Army!

Join our community of gamers passionate about our community and our hobby! Whether it's playing, discussing, or watching games, regardless of platform, genre, or location, we have a place for you, always!

• PS4 Forum

The AJSA Playstation 4 Division: Game Nights and More!

The AJSA is on Playstation 4! Join us for weekly Game Nights with a selection of the best games the PS4 has to offer!

• XBO Forum

The AJSA Xbox One Division: We Got You Covered!

The AJSA Xbox One Division is ready to connect with you on XBox Live with a ton of events for the best Xbox games!

• News Archive

The Best News from the Best Sites, Every Week.

The AJSA News Collection Team is hard at work condensing a week's worth of news into one giant-sze digest for you to chew on and discuss! Links to source articles are always provided!

• More Info

The AJSA Expeditionary Force: Deploying to Play the Best PC Games!

The elite vanguard of the AJSA, the Expeditionary Force (EF) chooses a new PC game every week! Join us for weekly events and help decide if the game has a future in the AJSA.

• The Team

Streaming Now: The AJSA Stream Team

Joe can't stream every game, but our talented AJSA Stream Team covers a wide variety of games and personalities! Check them out, and show them some AJSA Love!

• The Tube

The AJSA Community YouTube Channel

Featuring news, gameplay clips, and more from the community! The Community is a chance to showcase the best moments in AJSA Gaming!

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ComradeMacGyver

Star Citizen flop???

17 posts in this topic

I was looking for something on star citizen, can't even remember now and came across this,

http://massively.joystiq.com/2014/12/16/massivelys-best-of-2014-awards-most-likely-to-flop/

It was kind of surprising and so looked into it more and found loads of threads that claim that the game is trying to be too many things and do to much.

I like the way that they're release it in modules so will always be added onto and updated. Do you think that it'll be to much or that there is so much hype to the game that it'll never satisfy?

There's a lot coming out hopefully next year in SC and personally I like to see things done right first time instead of half arsing it and releasing things unfinished or unplayable which seems to be the norm now a days. 

I am not sure, as I have not played any portion of Star Citizen that is currently available. But being ambitious is not a bad thing as long as they can execute the vision. To me (and this is only my opinion) Star Citizen seems like a far more in depth Eve Online. Which has me interested so Star Citizen (Once it is out fully) may be something I get into, I just hope they are not biting off more they can chew in its creation.

It's a very ambitious game and i doubt it will live up to everybody's expectations and i doubt they will be able to release everything they promised in 2016.

But i think if they manage to release with just a portion of what they promised and are able to keep up development after release, the game will do just fine.

It helps that they have basic stuff to show on a regular basis.

Yeah the fact that they constantly update things and have loads of info is helping to keep people interested. The amount of shows or series or what ever they're called is great as well, meet the devs etc.

It feels like a game that will never be finished though they'll always be updated and adding stuff. To call it a flop is a bit harsh!

Remember also that this is coming from an online gaming news site, and a common way such sites drive up traffic is to post seemingly outlandish predictions like this to get everyone talking and checking out their page.  This is by no means a definitive outcome for the game.

They are open about that they will start with Squadron 42 and then add content as they get further into development.

They don't promise everything from day one.

newtype89 likes this

They are open about that they will start with Squadron 42 and then add content as they get further into development.

They don't promise everything from day one.

and this is the point so many news outlest skip over they focuse on that fact that the guys at CIG want to put so much into the game but ignor the fact that even they now they cant get it all in right away and tell us that much

Langbein_ likes this

Considering how hyped people have gotten for it ever since it was first made known, it would be tough to live up to that. Take Guild Wars 2, I watched this one guy stream when he started playing on the first day, he was hyped like crazy, and was just rattling off all the news bits that had been released as to why it would be the game he'd play forever. By the end of the stream he was pissed, vowed to demand a refund (which he got), and that he'd be going back to TERA. There's a lot of that in games, as all the hype people generated from all the info companies put out often don't match their actual experience when they start playing.

It sure is taking a long time though. Looked at the Kickstarter just recently, that was from back in late 2012, and seemed to indicate the game would be released in late 2014, now they're talking about a 2016 release.

The whole thing reminds me of Double Fine Adventure (later renamed Broken Age), all these experienced creative people promised awesome things based purely on the fact they've worked on awesome things in the past. People got excited, and threw lots of money at the project. But it ends up taking about twice as long as indicated to release something, then even though they pulled in over eight times what they were asking, they had to release the game in two parts, with sales of the first part paying for the second part, which still isn't out yet. Based on reviews, people like the $25 US three to five hour point, and click adventure game, but many people that were with it since the Kickstarter are still pissed by the looks of it. Planetary Annihilation is another one where people had the same high expectations due to people that worked on past awesome games, promising a new awesome game, only to be disappointed in how the company did things, even if the game itself was generally well received.

Considering how hyped people have gotten for it ever since it was first made known, it would be tough to live up to that. Take Guild Wars 2, I watched this one guy stream when he started playing on the first day, he was hyped like crazy, and was just rattling off all the news bits that had been released as to why it would be the game he'd play forever. By the end of the stream he was pissed, vowed to demand a refund (which he got), and that he'd be going back to TERA. There's a lot of that in games, as all the hype people generated from all the info companies put out often don't match their actual experience when they start playing.

It sure is taking a long time though. Looked at the Kickstarter just recently, that was from back in late 2012, and seemed to indicate the game would be released in late 2014, now they're talking about a 2016 release.

The whole thing reminds me of Double Fine Adventure (later renamed Broken Age), all these experienced creative people promised awesome things based purely on the fact they've worked on awesome things in the past. People got excited, and threw lots of money at the project. But it ends up taking about twice as long as indicated to release something, then even though they pulled in over eight times what they were asking, they had to release the game in two parts, with sales of the first part paying for the second part, which still isn't out yet. Based on reviews, people like the $25 US three to five hour point, and click adventure game, but many people that were with it since the Kickstarter are still pissed by the looks of it. Planetary Annihilation is another one where people had the same high expectations due to people that worked on past awesome games, promising a new awesome game, only to be disappointed in how the company did things, even if the game itself was generally well received.

the main difrence between wat cig is doing and what dubble fine did rely comes down to this the only reson SC has taken as long as it has is becasue lets face it us the fans the origanel scope of the game was much smaller but as the fans keeped sapassing the founding goles the devs wher able to make a more detailed game will all the fechers be thare day one no they have said as much but do I think CIG is going to pull a duble fine that is also a no and why is that because we can see the progress the game is making duble fine balloned thare games cose CIG is fucosing on the core of what the game needs befor anything els on a side note CIG is also highly modafing the cryengin to do things it was never ment to do from the getgo 

I'm not going to judge the game 'till at least the beta comes out. Trying to predict weather it will flop or not before then seems pointless to me.

How can a company flop when it already has customers that even payed more than 5x times for the final product? This world is suffering from troll journalism. It's a way of making money apparently.

newtype89 likes this

How can a company flop when it already has customers that even payed more than 5x times for the final product? This world is suffering from troll journalism. It's a way of making money apparently.

Not really. Take Double Fine Adventures/Broken Age as an example, it got about eight times what it was looking for, then decided they needed to release the game in two parts, with the sales of the first part being needed to pay for the production of the second part. One trend we've been seeing when people that are regarded as the creative forces behind various big games go off on their own to run their own company is that without the oversight of people focused on the business end of things, they can prove to be rather bad at meeting deadlines, can't manage money, make promised they can't keep, and can commit PR suicide (see another thread on these forums as a for instance).

To add they've pulled in waaaaay over the $500K they were initially asking for back in 2012 when they cited a late 2014 completion target. Now they're sitting at about $74.85M, are still looking to pull in more, while now citing a 2016 release date, and making huge promises of what the game will supposedly do, which of course is only being inflated by fan hype. If you were to read the article, you'd see that people are saying, while they figure it will be good once it finally is released, they just feel that to long time supporters it won't live up to the immense hype it's generated, are bothered by the ever increasing funding needs it seems to have, and how the release date just keeps getting pushed back.

Ya the immense fanhype might cause some people to cry out when it releases and it's not what they expected.

It's also the reason i stopped watching all of the content they put out. I want to play it when it's out and be "WOW-ed" then. Not be "WOW-ed" by all their trailers and promises but then be "MEH-ed" at release :)

PhoenixShi likes this

Ya the immense fanhype might cause some people to cry out when it releases and it's not what they expected.

It's also the reason i stopped watching all of the content they put out. I want to play it when it's out and be "WOW-ed" then. Not be "WOW-ed" by all their trailers and promises but then be "MEH-ed" at release :)

Yeah, that's pretty much what I do with all upcoming games. I pay enough attention to official info to know what it's suppose to be about, then continue doing whatever without getting hyped about that up coming game, so when it comes out, I can judge it by the game that was released, not the game I made up in my head.

There was this guy on these forums that was getting all psyched about ArcheAge before it was released, proclaiming it the game that will bring him back to MMOs. I told him to not get too hyped before playing it, but he insisted that after all the videos he's watched every day, and all the info he read, he knew it'd be awesome. Then it came out, and that all quickly fell apart. Thing about video games is that they're something you need to actually play, then if they're an online service you also have to see how well it'll be taken care of, videos, and text just isn't enough to go by.

Icazael likes this

Especially for MMO's it easy to see other people play it on stream and see them have loads of fun. But a lot of the time it's because they play with a community.

I had the same with archeage that i liked the game but it ended up being pretty boring fast because i had nobody to play together with.

the fan base for a game like star citizen is quite a ways difrent from your basic MMO fans since one thar is no leveling in this game (atlest in a tradishanel sence) 2 its a sim univers so get good or go home unless you want to pay for armed escors everyware and in that case pay me lol and 3 thow cig has stated they want to put a shit load of stuff into the game they have nevered said any of that will be coming day one most of the strech gole stuff will not be seen day one and we all now this right now CIG is focusing on getting us a minumol viable product out to use that they can update dubble fine did not do that they tryed to put way to much in right away