• Welcome to the Angry Joe Show Army!

Join our community of gamers passionate about our community and our hobby! Whether it's playing, discussing, or watching games, regardless of platform, genre, or location, we have a place for you, always!

• PS4 Forum

The AJSA Playstation 4 Division: Game Nights and More!

The AJSA is on Playstation 4! Join us for weekly Game Nights with a selection of the best games the PS4 has to offer!

• XBO Forum

The AJSA Xbox One Division: We Got You Covered!

The AJSA Xbox One Division is ready to connect with you on XBox Live with a ton of events for the best Xbox games!

• News Archive

The Best News from the Best Sites, Every Week.

The AJSA News Collection Team is hard at work condensing a week's worth of news into one giant-sze digest for you to chew on and discuss! Links to source articles are always provided!

• More Info

The AJSA Expeditionary Force: Deploying to Play the Best PC Games!

The elite vanguard of the AJSA, the Expeditionary Force (EF) chooses a new PC game every week! Join us for weekly events and help decide if the game has a future in the AJSA.

• The Team

Streaming Now: The AJSA Stream Team

Joe can't stream every game, but our talented AJSA Stream Team covers a wide variety of games and personalities! Check them out, and show them some AJSA Love!

• The Tube

The AJSA Community YouTube Channel

Featuring news, gameplay clips, and more from the community! The Community is a chance to showcase the best moments in AJSA Gaming!

SirSeaBiscuit

Nintendo Working On "New Console Ideas"

29 posts in this topic

http://kotaku.com/nintendo-is-working-on-new-console-ideas-says-miyamoto-1673119386

Well, it's pretty obvious the moment Nintendo realized the done fucked it up with how the made the Wii U, they went back to the drawing board for a new console. I do not want this new console unless:

- 2017 release date, seems absurd but consoles should last 5 years minimum. (Wii U release date Fall 2012)

- Powerful console, as good as anything you really need in a system in 2017. Because let's be honest, by 2017 we could reach a level in graphic fidelity that it possibly couldn't get much better, so if Nintendo put out the hardware to do the do, then we are talking.

- 3rd parties up the ass, along with Nintendo's first party games so the Nintendo Thruststation is the only platform I need.

- and finally, a normal controller, I like the Wii U gamepad, but I'd prefer a normal (Gamecube esque) controller.

Plus, as ReviewTechUSA said, Nintendo might be the only ones (out of Microsoft, Sony, NTO) that comes out with a game console that doesn't run on a cloud, and has legit hardware with Discs and what not. So that would be the biggest selling point for me.

Thoughts?

I agree with the 3rd party support and that it shouldn't release for a few years (even though that means we're stuck with the Wii U for a few more years), but the 4K capable isn't something i'd expect in ANY console for a long time, seeing as they can't even handle 1080p on most titles now. That definitely won't be changing within two years, unless Nvidia or AMD make some god-tier GPU core that performs as well as 2 GTX980s and only costs 100 dollars or so. Otherwise we'd be paying high end gaming computer prices for something that isn't a PC, and that would be silly.

Also, creating a new console that goes in a different direction than the Wii U really is the only way I can imagine for Nintendo to try and salvage the damage they've done to their image and reputation. People think of games, and the legends from the games such as Link, Mario, Sonic, and what not when they think of nintendo, they don't think of the consoles or anything else the company is known for, and they really need to add on to what little they're widely known for.

So the WiiU, the console designed for the living room gamer that's been handling 1080p 60fps like a boss, backwards compatible, lacks the DLC and micro-transaction bullshit (or at least way less) from other platforms, the very best 1st party support like Nintendo always has and more exclusives than any other console is doing wrong? Thus we need a new console in 2-3 years?

I'm gonna let you in on a secret. In terms on console wars, it's almost always been the less powerful console that has won, a Nintendo being that victor on more than one occasion. The WiiU is a long, LONG way from a bad console, it's been badly marketed, and that's what crippled it, not it's hardware or games.

RuneX and MrBuradori like this

Because let's be honest, by 2017 we will reach a level in graphic fidelity that it can't get much better, so if Nintendo put out the hardware to do the do, then we are talking.

When will people stop thinking technology will have no more need to improve itself in 'x' years?

That said I don't know why nintendo feels like they absolutely MUST have some kind of weird control/UI/whatever gimmick with their Consoles... the SNES had absolutely none and it's one of the best consoles ever. The Wii did stupid good, but I don't know if it was because of a new gimmick alone, and even if it was, why not just try to re-use the same one again, and just improve the console in other areas?

Anyway, kind of off topic, but I was excited (but not enough to buy one before it got games I wanted!) for the PS4 because they learned their lesson about making hardware that is difficult to develop on. I thought by changing it up, they'd have more good games sooner, better quality games in terms of AAA fidelity sooner, etc. But instead they are DOWNGRADING fps and resolution on AAA games, and there is NOT an increase on sony-specific titles now that it is friendlier for developers. I feel like the best feature of the ps4 is just sitting there wasted. But it's still only a year old, and I've pretty much NEVER found a console very attractive in a year or two only.

Meh Wii U is by far the best console atm (Given a year or two if actual good first party titles come out on the others they will be better), I doubt it will run 4k that's like shooting for the stars really at this point. To be honest if they keep making games like they currently are I'm perfectly fine with the wii u, If i wanted power i would use my pc.

As for 3rd party don't really need them if your a pc gamer to that's just my point of view though.(Which is heavily bias im aware.)

Nintendo should just do a Sega and make games only.  There is a reason why the console doesnt sell as much as ppl try to argue otherwise.

For me personally i dont like the console for a few reasons:

1) I dont really like any of the games for it

2) Its main focus with the use of the pad is just a stolen idea from Sony but for some reason ppl seem to think its an original Nintendo idea.

3) There hasnt been a good nintendo console since the original NES IMO.

I've never been a fan of any nintendo stuff for years, friend of mine had the wii and it was great for a while playing bowling or what ever but quickly gathered dust.

The problem I have with them is nothing ever seems to change. Yes they have great characters and games but christ how many times do you have to look at marios face on everything and all the other stuff. No matter what they bring out it just seems like, ok they have a new console so I can play the same stuff I was playing in the 90's. 

They really need to come up with some new stuff, new original ideas and try to reach new players. I know they have a hardcore following but they're also losing a lot of people (like myself) from the shear repetitiveness of it all 

So the WiiU, the console designed for the living room gamer that's been handling 1080p 60fps like a boss, backwards compatible, lacks the DLC and micro-transaction bullshit (or at least way less) from other platforms, the very best 1st party support like Nintendo always has and more exclusives than any other console is doing wrong? Thus we need a new console in 2-3 years?

I'm gonna let you in on a secret. In terms on console wars, it's almost always been the less powerful console that has won, a Nintendo being that victor on more than one occasion. The WiiU is a long, LONG way from a bad console, it's been badly marketed, and that's what crippled it, not it's hardware or games.

And I agree the Wii U is a great console, I have one myself, and I also agree it's just that how it was marketed is what is hindering it. But let's be honest, in this day and age power does mean a whole lot. And I'm not saying Nintendo needs to be powerful for the sake of being powerful, the new NTO console needs to be powerful so that 3rd parties will not think twice about putting the game on their console.

I agree with the 3rd party support and that it shouldn't release for a few years (even though that means we're stuck with the Wii U for a few more years), but the 4K capable isn't something i'd expect in ANY console for a long time, seeing as they can't even handle 1080p on most titles now. That definitely won't be changing within two years, unless Nvidia or AMD make some god-tier GPU core that performs as well as 2 GTX980s and only costs 100 dollars or so. Otherwise we'd be paying high end gaming computer prices for something that isn't a PC, and that would be silly.

Yeah I don't know why I would expect 4k gaming as a standard in 2017. MAYBE in like 2020 will 4k be a normal thing.

Meh Wii U is by far the best console atm (Given a year or two if actual good first party titles come out on the others they will be better), I doubt it will run 4k that's like shooting for the stars really at this point. To be honest if they keep making games like they currently are I'm perfectly fine with the wii u, If i wanted power i would use my pc.

As for 3rd party don't really need them if your a pc gamer to that's just my point of view though.(Which is heavily bias im aware.)

Lack of 3rd party is what has kept Nintendo from being the top console with no competition for the past 20 years (or so).

i dont see what the problem is. the console is still selling well enough to be profitable, it's not like they're making a loss per unit sold to deem it financially necessary to kill it off quick with a new console and new branding.

telling people after all these efforts to bring it better games and more games throughout this entire year, that they're making a new console, is kind of shooting themselves in the foot. why put all this work into making the wii u a success to then turn around and say "fuck it, we're making a new one".

all that does is kill wii u sales and game sales. why would people spend money on something that is inevitably going to be the first 8th gen console to have it's production and support ended so quickly? it's only been out for 2 years, barely had any chance to succeed and mature and it's already announced it's on it's way out... and that's REALLY bad publicity.

what makes them think people will buy a new console in massive volumes if they shunt out all those people who bought a wii U, expecting it to have a decent lifespan?

i dont see what the problem is. the console is still selling well enough to be profitable..... Okay I gotta stop you right there!

The fact is the 3DS is what is keeping them alive and that gravy train will pronably last one more year at best.

Before I start I'm not saying the Wii U is not a bad system, far from it.  The problem is that Nintendo have done pretty mutch the worst possible job marketing the Console to consumer's, developers and publishers with:

• Piss poor advertising.
  • Lack of games at launch (arguably still so).
  • Power PC architecture, which makes 3rd party an costly pain in the ass which of course leads to.....
  • ..... A lack of third party support.

They are not in tune with modern media at all.  Popular YouTubers like Joe are to afraid to even talk about their products because of fear of being flagged by not being part of THEIR bullshit partnership scheme!

I honestly think that Nintendo would be better of following Sega and Atari and just becoming a third party publisher, just think how many copies the new Zelda would sell if it were multiplatform between PS4, Xbox One and PC!

I think people are blowing this way out of proportion. I mean, Nintendo didn't say they were releasing a new console in the next year or so. The way I took this announcement was that Nintendo is simply stating the obvious. I guarantee that Sony and Microsoft are also working on a new console. I imagine this to be normal. The Wii U was released when? 2012? It's not that hard to believe that they would start bouncing around ideas for a new console two years after their current platform had been released. 

The biggest issue for the WiiU was they couldn't get the third party support. It was too gimmicky, the hardware wasn't good enough, and it didn't sell the gamers. Can't sell a console without games. Make a console with quality hardware, keep the gimmicks if they must but make them interesting for developers to make games for.

In terms of the morality of bringing out a console 5 years after their last one, it seems more like an admission that the WiiU was a massive flop. If they offer WiiU users a discount on games or hardware it won't be an issue.

3rd party support, the way i see it, is not what nintendo has in mind for their consoles. if some 3rd party games can make it onto their consoles, then fine, but the way i see it nintendo make their consoles primarily for their 1st party games or games made by other devs they have paid to make exclusive games for their systems (bayonetta 2).

i disagree with the hardware being a bad choice, look at bayonetta 2 for example, just look at it - beautiful, and yes, running on "power pc" hardware inside the wii U, really who cares? the games it has look fantastic and are in actual full HD, unlike MANY games on the xbox one and the PS4, which are NOT in full HD.

if nintendo's primary focus was a vast majority of what we have seen this year, bullshit triple A 3rd party games, then the hardware would of course have to be the same or similar to the xbox one and PS4 - but how would that distinguish nintendo apart from those 2 consoles? nothing. it would just be ANOTHER big brand console with 1st party / exclusive games and 3rd party games, exactly what the other 2 consoles are.

nintendo is always different because it's always the cheapest console out of the big 3, and has the most simple approach to gaming, with heavy influences in old school RPG IPs, platform games, puzzle games and so on. it doesn't have big graphics whore shit like destiny, or dragon age whatever, and so on. THAT is the difference with nintendo, it's the place you go to play simple video games, not complicated video games, as well as their own 1st party / exclusive franchises, of which they have the most IPs out of the other 2 consoles.

i see nothing wrong with the wii U. IT IS selling well, at least on this year if you look at the stats and compare the lower sales figures from previous year / s. the 3ds on the other hand despite it being a handheld console, sells MORE than the PS3, XBOX 360, PS4, and XBOX One. it on paper even, makes more sales and more money on it's own than any of those other platforms which are living room / home consoles.

i don't think a new console is actually going to be released until at least 2017, which would give the wii U 5 years of lifespan, and 1 or 2 years of continued support before being shelved, which would mean nintendo has from now until 2016 to develop, build and announce any new console, which should be enough time - so the fact that they announced they are "working" on a new console, simply means just that - it is still years before it will actually come out.

and when it does come out, people will STILL buy it, in the masses - because it's nintendo. people love nintendo more than anything sony or microsoft ever did. the proof is in the sales figures. nintendo has a console people are growing to love, and a handheld that doesn't suck. sony has a console people believe will one day go to the cloud only, and a handheld that sucks beyond belief, and sinking business divisions across the world with an overall company loss every single year, and microsoft has a console that cannot and will not do even 1080p on it's newest native games built for the xbox one, has no handheld console, and it's shareholders are constantly yelling at the board of directors to axe the xbox brand and continue investment on gaming with PC / windows operating systems, which is predominantly where microsoft makes ALL it's money anyway.

so, the wii U is fine. nintendo is fine. the 3DS is fine. all is fine. no one needs to shit their pants. no one needs to let internet hate and endless trails of whiners on sites like reddit make them believe nintendo announced this because they're failing - they are far from that.

Did AMD Reveal Nintendo's Next Console Release Date?

Saw this video too, and I kinda would prefer if the Nintendo could eek out at least 5 years out of the Wii U.

http://kotaku.com/nintendo-is-working-on-new-console-ideas-says-miyamoto-1673119386

Well, it's pretty obvious the moment Nintendo realized the done fucked it up with how the made the Wii U, they went back to the drawing board for a new console. I do not want this new console unless:

- 2017 release date, seems absurd but consoles should last 5 years minimum. (Wii U release date Fall 2012)

- Powerful console, as good as anything you really need in a system in 2017. Because let's be honest, by 2017 we could reach a level in graphic fidelity that it possibly couldn't get much better, so if Nintendo put out the hardware to do the do, then we are talking.

- 3rd parties up the ass, along with Nintendo's first party games so the Nintendo Thruststation is the only platform I need.

- and finally, a normal controller, I like the Wii U gamepad, but I'd prefer a normal (Gamecube esque) controller.

Plus, as ReviewTechUSA said, Nintendo might be the only ones (out of Microsoft, Sony, NTO) that comes out with a game console that doesn't run on a cloud, and has legit hardware with Discs and what not. So that would be the biggest selling point for me.

Thoughts?

ReviewTechUSA is an idiot and he knows it.

Frankly I think the people who are saying stuff like "Nintendo should just give up on consoles and make games like sega" are being ridiculous. Ok, maybe the WiiU isn't as amazing a console as some people would like it to be, that's ONE console that isn't even a failure, just not a crazy success... Let's go back a generation, maybe it's a pattern of mediocracy? Oh wait, the first Wii absolutely dominated that generation. But clearly Nintendo would benefit if they never had done that and only made games instead right?

Not a fanboy here, the newest non-portable Nintendo console I own is the effing SNES, but I can still recognize that they are very much a competent contender in the console wars.

Frankly I think the people who are saying stuff like "Nintendo should just give up on consoles and make games like sega" are being ridiculous. Ok, maybe the WiiU isn't as amazing a console as some people would like it to be, that's ONE console that isn't even a failure, just not a crazy success... Let's go back a generation, maybe it's a pattern of mediocracy? Oh wait, the first Wii absolutely dominated that generation. But clearly Nintendo would benefit if they never had done that and only made games instead right?

Not a fanboy here, the newest non-portable Nintendo console I own is the effing SNES, but I can still recognize that they are very much a competent contender in the console wars.

I donno about Nintendo dominating 7nth gen. OK, the Wii console sold better than the Xbox 360 or PS3 but the games sales were terrible, around two games to one console (On a console that was shipped with a game, don't forget), and that includes digital. The Wii is most commercially successful dust collector in history, no back shelf of on old storage cupboard is complete without one. Not this this bothered Nintendo that much because the hardware was profitable.

I donno about Nintendo dominating 7nth gen. OK, the Wii console sold better than the Xbox 360 or PS3 but the games sales were terrible, around two games to one console (On a console that was shipped with a game, don't forget), and that includes digital. The Wii is most commercially successful dust collector in history, no back shelf of on old storage cupboard is complete without one. Not this this bothered Nintendo that much because the hardware was profitable.

I've never heard that their game sales were poor in comparison, do you have any evidence of such? Not saying you're wrong, just curious, I mean I haven't heard anything saying otherwise either! So I have no reason to doubt you really.

I do have to wonder though what fool would buy a console and only get 1-2 games for it ever though...does your source not include digital games? I dunno. I mean hell, even for the SegaCD I got 4 games, and I was just a dumb kid, and and..I'd probably have more if you could FIND the effing things (the games I mean, nobody sold em, and you couldn't exactly order them from amazon or whatever back then).

I've never heard that their game sales were poor in comparison, do you have any evidence of such? Not saying you're wrong, just curious, I mean I haven't heard anything saying otherwise either! So I have no reason to doubt you really.

I do have to wonder though what fool would buy a console and only get 1-2 games for it ever though...does your source not include digital games? I dunno. I mean hell, even for the SegaCD I got 4 games, and I was just a dumb kid, and and..I'd probably have more if you could FIND the effing things (the games I mean, nobody sold em, and you couldn't exactly order them from amazon or whatever back then).

It's something I read about a while ago I can't quite remember where.  A Google brought this up. Some of the info is a little out of date I think, but it gives a rough idea of what I'm about.

http://vgsales.wikia.com/wiki/Wii

Platinum saved the wii u because of bayo 2 and wonderful 101, two games that made me get a wii u. I also can't wait for the new zelda and rumored starfox game.I wouldn't be surprised if nintendo wanted to make a another console because of sales, but that would be a dumb idea to make a similar console and drive their sales even more down the drain. 

Platinum saved the wii u because of bayo 2 and wonderful 101, two games that made me get a wii u. I also can't wait for the new zelda and rumored starfox game.I wouldn't be surprised if nintendo wanted to make a another console because of sales, but that would be a dumb idea to make a similar console and drive their sales even more down the drain. 

True, Nintendo brining out a new console would hurt WiiU sales, but would that actually hurt Nintendo? It all depends on whether Nintendo makes money on the Wii U's hardware or not. That's the trick they pulled with the Wii. Even though games sales were horrendous every console sold made money, so that was fine. The Playstation 3, for example, was a different matter. For the first couple of years, Sony were making quite a big loss on every console sold because the hardware was expensive, it was through games and accessories that the console could make money. Ultimately that gamble paid off. The Xbox one and PS4 arw a similar story, there hardware doesn't make money.

If the WiiU is making money on it's hardware, Nintendo should keep going with it. It's taking a while, but the console is proving itself.

I totally agree with you and I'm hoping that more third party companies in and outside Japan would support it. Its a great console with many capabilities and hopefully a bright future for both nintendo and the wii u.

I totally agree with you and I'm hoping that more third party companies in and outside Japan would support it. Its a great console with many capabilities and hopefully a bright future for both nintendo and the wii u.

That'll be difficult. Nintendo's reliance of 1st party development and shunning of 3rd party development is a double edged sword. Nintendo's 1st part development has always been excellent, and has produced some of the greatest video games ever made. Nintendo's exclusives are probably the best out there, but I'm not sure that can cut it any more. Nintendo has always been like that, but ever since the Gamecube this business model has become a curse. It's like a stubborn, arrogant old chef refusing to change his menu because it worked 30 years ago.

Allot of dev's, especially western ones as you said, find Nintendo difficult to deal with because they're so against the grain. For example, the Wii U uses Power PC based architecturewhereas the other 8th gen systems and the PC uses X86, this makes just porting games for the Wii U an expensive chore. Like it or not, the Wii U hasn't sold very well, so it's not an attractive platform for third part and indie dev's to make money on, especially with it's alternate architectureThat's why we get crap like Sonic Boom because dev's don't want to put the effort and money into a game that won't make them anything.

Actually, since the stone ages, 3rd party developers hated developing for nintendo not because of them being "against the grain", but because they are basically video game nazis. They had so much 3rd party "support" back in the day not because the devs wanted to, but because back then Nintendo was to videogames as Xerox was to photocopying.