• Welcome to the Angry Joe Show Army!

Join our community of gamers passionate about our community and our hobby! Whether it's playing, discussing, or watching games, regardless of platform, genre, or location, we have a place for you, always!

• PS4 Forum

The AJSA Playstation 4 Division: Game Nights and More!

The AJSA is on Playstation 4! Join us for weekly Game Nights with a selection of the best games the PS4 has to offer!

• XBO Forum

The AJSA Xbox One Division: We Got You Covered!

The AJSA Xbox One Division is ready to connect with you on XBox Live with a ton of events for the best Xbox games!

• News Archive

The Best News from the Best Sites, Every Week.

The AJSA News Collection Team is hard at work condensing a week's worth of news into one giant-sze digest for you to chew on and discuss! Links to source articles are always provided!

• More Info

The AJSA Expeditionary Force: Deploying to Play the Best PC Games!

The elite vanguard of the AJSA, the Expeditionary Force (EF) chooses a new PC game every week! Join us for weekly events and help decide if the game has a future in the AJSA.

• The Team

Streaming Now: The AJSA Stream Team

Joe can't stream every game, but our talented AJSA Stream Team covers a wide variety of games and personalities! Check them out, and show them some AJSA Love!

• The Tube

The AJSA Community YouTube Channel

Featuring news, gameplay clips, and more from the community! The Community is a chance to showcase the best moments in AJSA Gaming!

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Linkfan3

Best Game of 2014

23 posts in this topic

So 2014 is about to end and 2015 is around the corner, and I'm sad to say that there might not be self-lacing shoes, flying cars, or hoverboards, but we can look forward to some new games that are coming out next year like Zelda WiiU, but out of all the game you have played this year, what did you think is the best, for me it would be Dark Souls II, even if the community seems to dislike it compared to Dark Souls I.

"In the land of Mordor where shadows lie." Shadow Of Mordor for me.

Dragon Age: Inquisition is a sure thing (at least on console)

A lot of people are making their top 10 or Games of the Year lists so I suppose I will post mine in this thread. I think my favorite game of the year was The Wolf Among Us.

Out of games that are likely to make my own list or end up on others I have not played Shadow of Mordor, Dragon Age Inquisition, Infamous Second Son, Shantae and the Pirate's Curse, Age of Wonders 3, Legend of Grimrock 2, The Talos Principle, Bayonetta 2, Nidhogg, or Smash Bros. There's a good chance of This War of Mine making my list but I have not started it yet and I need to play more of Warmachine Tactics (like Wasteland 2 they are also still releasing patches for fixes and improvements).

Top ten, not really in any order after the first.

1: The Wolf Among Us: Great story, atmosphere, and dialogue. I loved the first The Walking Dead but I think this one beats it. Obviously it's a Telltale game so the choices don't matter much but they have more of an effect in this game than either of the Walking Dead Seasons.

2: Endless Legend: I really enjoyed Endless Space and this is the same style of gameplay. Recommend people try out both the Endless Space and Legend games and wait until the new Civilization has some expansions.

3: Alien Isolation: The only survival game where I felt moments of tension and one of the very few survival games that actually earns that title. Great atmosphere and enemy AI. The story is predictable but gives you what you want out of a game like this (I'm really not sure what anyone is talking about when they say you expect the game to end but then something different happens, I was expecting to do something weird like travel down to the planet and fight hordes of Aliens based on how people were acting but it was all what you would expect and want from an Alien game). Good use of item crafting and stations where you can set off alarms in other areas to distract the alien.

4: Shovel Knight: It's like Mega Man if he used a shovel and could use that shovel to bounce off enemies heads like in the Duck Tales games.

5: Danganronpa Trigger Happy Havoc (should be getting the sequel in the mail after Christmas and from what I heard I'd probably list them both here): This says enough about it. Making a lot of GOTY lists from people I know and respect, the Hardcore Gaming 101 site for example.

6: Wasteland 2: Great writing, enjoyable gameplay, a lot of different equipment for characters to use, a lot of great humorous things to be found in the world. I think one of my favorite things about the game is that a lot of situations don't go how you like them to, situations don't always have a happy ending or go the way you want them to, some events go the way you would expect them to in a real situation but not in a video game. Did you want to save the hostages and make peace? Well, then you probably shouldn't have given the guy holding them everything he wanted just to complete a quest because he promised he'd let them go.

7: Divinity Original Sin: Great writing and a lot of fun to play in co-op. Good companions and after I played the game they added more as a free update.

8: Persona Q: Great job bringing the cast of Persona 3 and 4 together and still keeping them acting like their usual selves instead of the more crazy Persona Arena versions of their characters. Good changes to the Persona 3 and 4 gameplay to make it more suitable for a dungeon crawler and dungeons that are a hell of a lot more interesting than any of the boring locations you go to in Persona 3 and 4.

9: The Vanishing of Ethan Carter: Beautiful/haunting locations with great atmosphere and like Bastion, Gone Home, Papers, Please, Transistor, and Brothers an excellent use of a video game to tell a story. Great small touches throughout the game that add to the world and locations and a great ending.

10: Door Kickers: Excellent strategy game with a lot of great community made content

Honorable Mentions

Freedom Planet: Excellent 2d sidescroller that I supported on Kickstarter, three playable characters who all have different styles of play (one in a Sonic style, one with more of a melee focus, etc) and two more should be added to the game in the future. Good graphics, voice acting, and story.

Frozen Synapse Prime: It's not much of an improvement to the original but still a great game when played online and a good game for single player.

Wolfenstein The New Order: I didn't enjoy it as much as a lot of people as I was hoping for more open areas, being able to see more of the cities than being in small areas most of the time, and more weapons would have been nice but it's definitely a game worth checking out with some good story moments and guns that are fun to shoot. The slightly different futures with two different characters depending on a choice made at the end of the first level is a nice touch. Not sure what the deal with all the cliched characters is though a mentally handicapped pacifist who can only say his own name but is really strong, in love with the first woman you meet, a "schizophrenic" pseudo intellectual that just finished a Philosophy 101 class, and "Bubi".

Game of Thrones and Tales From the Borderlands: Both off to a good start but only one episode of six and one of five in so far.

Kentucky Route Zero: Next month the game will have released two years ago, only the third of five planned episodes released this year back in May but it's very likely to be another game that will easily make a top 10 list when it is finished.

Shadowrun Dragonfall Directors Cut: The great characters and dialogue of Dragonfall with additional content and some much needed improvements to the UI, abilities, party member abilities, and equipment. While the writing is really good the improvements really only bring the gameplay up from poor to average. It sounds like they plan to have a new Kickstarter for another Shadowrun game soon, hopefully, if it is funded, future games can keep up this level of writing and continue to improve the gameplay because Shadowrun deserves great gameplay with all the options the tabletop game has.

All the great expansions for Crusader Kings 2 and Europa Universalis 4.

They aren't new games but PC users can now play Valkyria Chronicles, Shantae Risky's Revenge, and Legend of Heroes Trails in the Sky and PS3/Vita (not sure about PSP/PS4) users can download Suikoden 2. Those four games are one of the best SRPG I've played, one of the best JRPGs I've played, one of the best 2D sidescrollers I've played, and the best JRPG I've played and each would easily knock something out of my top 10 list.

All the things I forgot but that I am likely to remember shortly posting this

My disappointments of the year (though I would still recommend playing them)

Transistor: Great art, music, story, and way to tell the story but I got bored of the gameplay almost right away and considered every fight and change of combat abilities to be a waste of time.

Valiant Hearts: Pretty much the same as Transistor, I thought the fetch quest style objectives and poor puzzles just got in the way of the game, though unlike Transistor there were moments of the gameplay I really did enjoy, also unlike Transistor I thought some of the overly humorous moments ruined the mood of the story.

The Walking Dead Season 2: Became what I was worried about, a generic zombie story where everyone is a terrible person, the cliched (and hilarious) "you're going to end up just like me Clementine" style dialogue, and due to the rushed nature of the narrative (five short episodes) it really lacked character development and because everyone has to die (cause zombie game) there was no closure to anyone's story arc except possibly for one person depending on the choice you make at the end. Terrible final episode as well with some really stupid (impossible) things happening.

Here's my top games of the year out if the games I've played (which isn't much, because I'm poor).

South Park: The Stick of Truth

That's my game of the year. Brilliantly written and produced, it has the look and feel of a South Park season. Gameplay wise it's quite reserved but at the same time has the depth you expect from an RPG. And the best interpretation I've seen of this game is that it's an RPG for adults. It's not one of these timesinks which takes 50, 60, 70 hours to explore and complete, it's 12 hours, but it's 12 hours of real quality game.

The Wolf Among Us

I wasn't expecting much from this when it came out and it was surprising how good it actually was. Some people don't like the Telltale games because it's all dialogue trees and quick time events but this one nailed it and the story was amazing, keeping you guessing right to the last episode. I hope that all the stuff Telltale has planned doesn't mean we've seen the last of Wolf Among Us.

The Walking Dead season 2

I wasn't sure how it would go with Clementine as the protagonist but the first couple of episodes really set the pace and by the end I was absolutely hooked on Clementine and I was properly sucked into her situation. Some of the choices were really difficult and (while it seems not liked by all), the subplot of Clementine struggling to be herself and not let the world turn her into a monster was a really gripping story for me.

Destiny

Before you get your pitchforks this maybe needs some context. I got Destiny with my PS4 months after it came out, I knew exactly what I was getting myself in for and all the negativity it pulls, and I couldn't give a shit. The battle system is brilliantly done, I really like the different enemy types and classes, I like the music, the environments. I've finished the story and I can easily see myself playing it more and more. So what if it's not the game it was built up to be? I like it. Maybe it wouldn't feature on my list if I'd played more games this year, but I didn't.

This year is the year of dissapointing mainstream games and surprise small name games that's fucking awesome. I will not put games that I have not yet completed which are Dragon Age Inquisition, Dark Souls 2, Farcry 4, this War of Mine and South Park Stick of Truth, but I assure you that these games are some of the best of this year. Here's my top 10:

10. Rambo. I know. Surprisingly I like this game because it's just so hilariously low budged, and it's a pretty decent on rails shooter. This is one of those "so bad it's actually charming" game. I actually played this game 3 times, once on normal, twice on the hardest difficulty with an unlockable weapon that's a game breaker. And I change the in game's repetitive song with various cool ones, one of them being "Sins of the Father" from the Phantom Pain trailer which makes the scenes from Rambo 2 and 3 FREAKING AWESOME. Thankfully this is one of those games where changing the music to a much better one makes the game a lot better. I still won't recommend this game to any of you because you'll hate it, unless you are a fan of rail shooter games and just want to play another one.

Alright, get that guilty pleasure game out of the way and time for the big guys to shine!

9. Titanfall. I love the core gameplay a LOT. This is what Call of Duty Advanced Warfare should be like, not the half assed version that's released. Unfortunately the story is not good, at all, if you can even call the campaign mode "story" mode, and the game mode is seriously lacking. I bought the game when it's $12 so I got my money's worth, but I bet people who paid full price will be really pissed off at what they get.

8. Wolfenstein the New Order. A great comeback to the classic shooter days of picking up health, body armor and TONS of ammo, but with more freedom to either be stealthy or go guns blazing. Really damn good FPS, with one of the best end credits song I have ever heard.

7. Shovel Knight. Classic NES style side scrolling adventure game with an excellent soundtrack and game mechanics which combines Duck Tales, Castlevania, Megaman and Super Mario. This game will get your nostalgia sense tingling.

6. Pixel Piracy. Wow, this game is great. It's kind of like the old game Sid Meyer's Pirates! But this is more like an RTS than a simulator. You go to different islands or enemies to plunder and get rich, and build your own crew so you'll become the most unstoppable pirate in the world. Addicting as hell and you can play this game for HUNDREDS of hours.

5. Sherlock Holmes: Crimes and Punishments. A game where you play as the great Sherlock Holmes and investigate murder cases. And you can decide how to end a case, either by coming to a completely wrong conclusion or coming to a right one and choose to arrest the culprit or let him/her free.

4. Watch Dogs. Excellent mission designs, great gunfights, a pretty decent superhero origin story and fantastic gameplay mechanic with the most powerful and badass gadget ever. So many times I use the blackout ability to sneak and kill enemies, evade maximum star level cops, and just straight up troll people to see what they will do when a blackout happens.

3. Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor. Excellent Nemesis system which makes me want to make enemies, take control of them and just destroy Sauron's army. And also great gameplay mechanic which to me improves on the basic mechanic of Batman Arkham series and makes it more fluid and fun to do combos. Even though the songs in the game are boring, I just replaced them with Shadow of the Colossus battle theme and Fate Stay Night Emiya themes. It makes things so much better.

2. Now this is tough since I have a LOT of games that I feel deserves to be number 2. Here they are:

Joe Dever's Lone Wolf. An excellent action RPG on the iPhone, now available on Steam, which combines adventure book with turn based action RPG, and it has a complex combat mechanic that's both challenging and fun as hell. No grinding is necessary to beat this game, which is really cool. This is one of the only RPGs I have ever played where I want to do the random encounters to kick enemy asses with my power.

Alien Isolation. Hands down the best horror game of the year. The alien's unpredictable movements actually scares the SHIT out of me, the various enemies offers great variety and strategies you use to beat them is really satisfying to do, and the game's a great return to the old survival horror games where it's all about saving in save points. And it has a fantastic atmosphere that's a reminiscence of the first Alien movie.

Professor Layton VS Phoenix Wright. It's all about the dynamic and interaction of these 2 great characters reacting to the world around them. The game at it's core a Professor Layton game, but the epic court case of Phoenix Wright elevates it and make the game sooo damn enjoyable and fun. The ending is so rewarding that it makes me tear up and smile. Not many games manages to make me do that.

Wolf Among Us. Telltale games did it again! This time their game is based on the comic book Fables which features fairy tale characters like Big Bad Wolf, Snow White, Beauty and the Beast and so on in a realistic setting. This is an excellent detective mystery game with a lot of cool twists and turns, and a great ending which makes you want MORE, in a great way!

ONE FINGER DEATH PUNCH!!! Ohohohoyeah! This game is so simple and yet it's so fantastic! All you do is click left or right depending on which way enemies are coming from, and if you manage to get a perfect with no miss or health loss, you will feel like a complete badass. I'm still playing this game from time to time on a much higher difficulty, and it's still awesome to play.

And now, the number 1 game of the year that you all probably never heard of before:

Sorcery! 1 & 2. 3 and 4 released later.

Oh my fucking gazoongas, I was so surprised that this game's this freaking amazing. This is an iPhone game that I heard from my brother in law. It's based on the old "choose your own adventure book" series of the same name which consists of 4 books. Currently book 1 and 2 are playable while 3 and 4 will come sometime later. Inkle, the developer of this game, manages to convert an adventure book and make it into a grand scale adventure game. There's no levelling up in this game, the combat is simple, and all you do is just choose where to go and what to do in certain situations. The great thing about this game isn't the story or gameplay, but the amount of choices you can make, which is HUNDREDS. I'm not kidding by saying that the amount of choices you can do just in book 1 puts Mass Effect to shame. And it all starts from whether you want to pick left or right when you come across 2 separate paths! Book 2 has even MORE choices, and I played the second book 5 times and found 100 different outcomes, and this is just from choosing 1 out of many paths and choices I can do.

If you have a smart phone, you have to get this game. It's obscure but it's one of the greatest hidden gem in gaming today.

No Love for Nintendo?

Super_Smash_Bros_for_Wii_U_Box_Art.png

Bayonetta2boxart.png

dcqgro7wl2l3zfg0zphz.jpg

Monster-Hunter_4Boxart.png

Nintendo needs deserve a better recognition on these awesome games!

My top 4 games (in no particular order because they are all awesome):

Wolfenstein: the new Order: excellent piece of "what if" writing, really fun combat, awesome guns. Love it.

Stick of Truth: funniest game I have ever played. I actually almost failed a small QTE because I was laughing so hard. Took me around 14 hours to do almost everything but for me, easily worth the price.

Dragon Age: Inquisition : it's friggin dragon age and its awesome. Interesting characters (for the most part), tough decisions, fun combat, great writing, everything you'd expect from bioware. Oh and my first play through was 70ish hours and i wasn't even close to finishing all the side content.

The Wolf Among Us: fairy tale characters in a dark and noire new york in the 40's/50's? Oh yes. Had exceptional writing and always had me on the edge of my seat, trying to find out who was the murderer.

No Love for Nintendo?

Super_Smash_Bros_for_Wii_U_Box_Art.png

Bayonetta2boxart.png

dcqgro7wl2l3zfg0zphz.jpg

Monster-Hunter_4Boxart.png

Nintendo needs deserve a better recognition on these awesome games!

It's not that I think they don't deserve the greatest game of the year spot, and I love Nintendo, they're my favorite gaming company, it's that I haven't even played those ones yet, I have a rule not to get many things I want at the start of October cause of Christmas, and I don't get too many games that get released in the same year, also I don't think Monster Hunter 4 was released in America yet, so I have to wait to get that one, but yeah I do wish Nintendo would get more recognition.

South Park: The Stick of Truth

There's one I forgot, I can replace Door Kickers with this and move that to honorable mention.

ONE FINGER DEATH PUNCH

That would be on mine but it came out in 2013.

Sorcery! 1 & 2. 3 and 4 released later.

Sometimes I wish I had a Phone when I see games like that. I got The Forest of Doom on Steam which seems like it would be similar but I haven't started it yet.

Legolas I have Endless Space but I haven't touched it yet because I heard the AI is a weak point of the game, your opinion?

my top game of the year is Dark Souls 2. Buying the xbox one version will be the third copy of the game I have gotten, not counting how many I've given to other people

Linkfan3 likes this

Legolas I have Endless Space but I haven't touched it yet because I heard the AI is a weak point of the game, your opinion?

There are usually always AI problems in games like this or patterns the enemy tends to follow, I heard there were more problems when the game first came out but that it's been improved with patches over time. They like to throw a lot of large weaker fleets at you and the AI isn't really able to make good ship designs but they are able to make some changes to counter what your fleets do. One negative is that the difficulty doesn't seem to make them any smarter, it just gives them bonuses the harder the game is.

my top game of the year is Dark Souls 2

Another game I haven't played

That would be on mine but it came out in 2013.

Sometimes I wish I had a Phone when I see games like that. I got The Forest of Doom on Steam which seems like it would be similar but I haven't started it yet.

If I played OFDP in 2013, it's easily going to be a top number 2. Unfortunately back then I don't think people notices that it existed. Now that it's on Steam in 2014, people should know more about it before it faded into obscurity.

Hopefully you'll get a smart phone for Christmas! :D

Forest of Doom...... that's more like a luck based table top game because every outcome is determined by whether you're lucky with your dice or not. Nothing at all like Sorcery which is like a real rpg game. Check out Joe Dever's Lone Wolf, that's more like a game and it's on Steam. The controls is adapted straight from the smart phone where you need to flick in certain directions, but it's still a great game.

I'd say my game of 2014 is Destiny, despite it's issues and how frustrating it can be I've enjoyed the hell out of it and put more time into this than any other game this year.

Honourable mentions, Final Fantasy X/X-2 Remastered (Vita), Final Fantasy XIV ARR, The Last of Us Remastered, Dragonage Inquisition, Wolfenstein TNO.

EDIT

Completely forgot about Infamous Second Son until I say Mouseno4's top 10 list, I'll add that to.

My personal Top 5:

1. Wolfenstein: The New Order

2. South Park: The Stick of Truth

3. BattleBlock Theater

4. 6180 the moon

5. Legend of Grimrock 2

Most big games that came out this year were mediocre. So "Best Game" is relative and doesn't mean the game is good.

I didn't play very many games this year. I played Dark Souls 2, Titanfall, Destiny, and Dragon Age: Inquisition.

Out of those games my vote goes to Titanfall, because it didn't burn me in some way like the others.

Little big planet 3!!

16 layers i create mode!!!

So much fun awaits i can finally build all the levels i was never able to!!.

Only other games i have really enjoyed are the indie games that have come out for the ps4 all the AAA titles so far have been...................meh.

Wolf Among Us- Honly shit, this game was awesome.

Super Smash Bros- I only got the 3DS version, but it was still awesome.

Alien: Isolation- Great horror game

That is all I played this year.

Playing through the second Danganronpa now. I'm probably going to have to change my GOTY to the Danganronpa games.