• Welcome to the Angry Joe Show Army!

Join our community of gamers passionate about our community and our hobby! Whether it's playing, discussing, or watching games, regardless of platform, genre, or location, we have a place for you, always!

• PS4 Forum

The AJSA Playstation 4 Division: Game Nights and More!

The AJSA is on Playstation 4! Join us for weekly Game Nights with a selection of the best games the PS4 has to offer!

• XBO Forum

The AJSA Xbox One Division: We Got You Covered!

The AJSA Xbox One Division is ready to connect with you on XBox Live with a ton of events for the best Xbox games!

• News Archive

The Best News from the Best Sites, Every Week.

The AJSA News Collection Team is hard at work condensing a week's worth of news into one giant-sze digest for you to chew on and discuss! Links to source articles are always provided!

• More Info

The AJSA Expeditionary Force: Deploying to Play the Best PC Games!

The elite vanguard of the AJSA, the Expeditionary Force (EF) chooses a new PC game every week! Join us for weekly events and help decide if the game has a future in the AJSA.

• The Team

Streaming Now: The AJSA Stream Team

Joe can't stream every game, but our talented AJSA Stream Team covers a wide variety of games and personalities! Check them out, and show them some AJSA Love!

• The Tube

The AJSA Community YouTube Channel

Featuring news, gameplay clips, and more from the community! The Community is a chance to showcase the best moments in AJSA Gaming!

SMMCDemolition

Is World of Warcraft or (WoW) worth playing?

20 posts in this topic

Is World of Warcraft worth playing and subscribing to or is it just not worth my time and money?

That depends if you enjoy Hotkey MMOs. If you do, then go ahead and subscribe to WoW, it's a rather great MMO. I used to play it all the time back when I was younger.

Is there also a AJSA guild for the Horde as well?

They play Alliance for some reason!

I play horde personally, loving the character model updates.

The game is very worth playing depending on what you wanna do in-game.

I do nothing but PVP and this expansion is amazing for that so far.

I played only a little bit of Wow and i can say it's a really good mmo, so if you like the genre go ahead.

Why on earth would you play alliance anyway? :P

not worth your time or money. it's a hell of a shit game. wow always was addictive because of just that, addiction. it's never been a game about amazing gameplay and storytelling, maybe it was in the original and 1st expansion, but all of that in the end got thrown out.

no matter what kind of story or gameplay they try to feed you, this is what sums up wow from 2007-present day:

raid finder

dungeon finder

guild finder

guild perks

daily quests

repetitive dungeons

repetitive raids

impossibly imbalanced PVP

constant nerfs and buffs making the ever famous "class of the month" effect

the only enjoyable part of wow i ever got out of the game was questing, because i could ride along the open landscape with my mount and feel like a part of a large open world, doing my quests, and just enjoying the scenery.

all of that however is also gone. you can enjoy the scenery and enjoy questing, but everytime you enter a zone and start your quests, you find yourself leaving that zone for the next one after only 2 levels, so almost 2/3 of the content to be experienced there gets ignored - there's no incentive to be a completionist in wow anymore. in the old days you used to pretty much have to complete almost all quests in your zone before being high enough level to go onto the next one, so you got to experience everything the game offered, it didn't feel rushed.

all they want you to do is rush rush rush to max level, and experience end game raids and dungeons, of which are the same shit over and over, repeat after repeat of the same thing.

it's one of the worst games ever, it's just also one of the most addictive games ever - which is why it makes money. i tried plenty of times over the past 2 years to continue my 5 year stretch of playing wow hardcore, but i just can't. the game is done... there's nothing blizzard could ever show me new in this game anymore. nothing is different. all the same shit over and over, just different colours.

if you want to play something new and exciting that will at least last you some time, play the newest final fantasy mmorpg. the only other mmorpg i would recommend is eve online, but it takes a certain individual to appreciate and master that game - only 500K people in the world are actively subbed to it. it's a great game but it isnt for everyone. and no i dont play it anymore but thats out of personal preference to just not play it, i still think it's a great game.

IMHO the game has been sub par with the implementation of the patches that preceded the release of Burning crusades.

Since the second week of BC i haven't played and say good riddance.

I think there is way too much hype behind the game and alot of people are just playing it because of friends. 

Wasn't the lore terrible?

WoW is on my the top of my blacklist for turning my favorite RTS into... ugh... this!

I think there is way too much hype behind the game and alot of people are just playing it because of friends. 

Would you play any other MMO on your own? These kinds of games are built to be played with friends. The game has been "hyped" for a good reason. 10 years on and WoW is still the most relevant and successful MMO out there.

Just because you don't like it, doesn't mean it's not the best MMO on the market still.

Wasn't the lore terrible?

WoW is on my the top of my blacklist for turning my favorite RTS into... ugh... this!

The lore is one of the franchises strong points but Blizzard has always had a problem telling stories in-game. They've become much better at it over the years though.

WoD has a pretty awesome story line if you care enough to look into it.

not worth your time or money. it's a hell of a shit game. wow always was addictive because of just that, addiction. it's never been a game about amazing gameplay and storytelling, maybe it was in the original and 1st expansion, but all of that in the end got thrown out.

no matter what kind of story or gameplay they try to feed you, this is what sums up wow from 2007-present day:

raid finder

dungeon finder

guild finder

guild perks

daily quests

repetitive dungeons

repetitive raids

impossibly imbalanced PVP

constant nerfs and buffs making the ever famous "class of the month" effect

the only enjoyable part of wow i ever got out of the game was questing, because i could ride along the open landscape with my mount and feel like a part of a large open world, doing my quests, and just enjoying the scenery.

all of that however is also gone. you can enjoy the scenery and enjoy questing, but everytime you enter a zone and start your quests, you find yourself leaving that zone for the next one after only 2 levels, so almost 2/3 of the content to be experienced there gets ignored - there's no incentive to be a completionist in wow anymore. in the old days you used to pretty much have to complete almost all quests in your zone before being high enough level to go onto the next one, so you got to experience everything the game offered, it didn't feel rushed.

all they want you to do is rush rush rush to max level, and experience end game raids and dungeons, of which are the same shit over and over, repeat after repeat of the same thing.

it's one of the worst games ever, it's just also one of the most addictive games ever - which is why it makes money. i tried plenty of times over the past 2 years to continue my 5 year stretch of playing wow hardcore, but i just can't. the game is done... there's nothing blizzard could ever show me new in this game anymore. nothing is different. all the same shit over and over, just different colours.

if you want to play something new and exciting that will at least last you some time, play the newest final fantasy mmorpg. the only other mmorpg i would recommend is eve online, but it takes a certain individual to appreciate and master that game - only 500K people in the world are actively subbed to it. it's a great game but it isnt for everyone. and no i dont play it anymore but thats out of personal preference to just not play it, i still think it's a great game.

Cool story bro, but have you actually played since WoD launched? I'm guessing you don't know anyone that plays the game and you've got no investment in characters you've played.

I find it pretty funny that you list a ton of bullet points and seem to think they're "bad points" of the game.

You'd rather the game never innovated and never brought in a wider audience? There's a reason why WoW is still the most relevant and successful MMO to date and you apparently haven't realized that.

Most of those points you listed I care little about, but the "impossibly balanced PVP" made me laugh. You're aware how difficult MMO PVP is to balance, right?

The only balance PVP has is around 3v3 Arenas.

But I could read what you type all day, because it's pretty amusing to me.

Maghorn likes this

Only if you like your soul being sucked

For me, I keep my Subscription to WoW because I love lore and the World, and the Content isn't bad, its fun a lot of the times. Depends on your opinion right? ESO is probably the biggest sign in games that opinion is a big factor, so really just sit down for a bit and decide.

Despite what anyone will tell you, WoW is dominating the MMORPG market...and for a reason. The opinion on WoW is always pretty divided, people either love it or hate it. But the fact remains, It has lasted for 10 years now and that is because it is a very well made game. Sure, things tend to get stagnant once you have played for a while and reached max level and done just about everything you really care to do, so you spend a lot of your time grinding and waiting for the next expansion to see new content. But, if you've never played WoW before, it could be pretty fun. I wish I could forget all the zones and quests I have done a million times over to level up, just so I can go and do it all over again like it was my first time. 

WoW IS a good game, don't let anyone tell you it isn't. But, It may not be for everybody. If you love questing, collecting, farming, and grinding for hours and hours and hours, this game is totally worth the purchase. If you get bored easily and don't enjoy countless hours of farming either XP, gold, mats, or rep, than this game totally isn't worth it. WoW gets a bad rap because of It's subscription based service as well as Blizzards constant need to drip feed you content. To be honest, those aspects end up being more annoying than fun. 

As a retired WoW player, it does still irk me a bit when people say its a bad game. I won't play it anymore because I feel as though I have already done it all in that game and I have moved on. But, there is a reason that there is not a single subscription mmo on the market that comes even close to their amount of subscriptions. It is simply a good game or it wouldn't have lasted these 10 years with its large player base. If you havn't played it, I do recommend giving it a try. It is an old game though, so don't expect next gen graphics. 

I agree that wow is in fact a pretty good game...I mean, I think other newer mmo's are getting better now in terms of gameplay since they involve more movement and timing instead of just standing in one spot using cooldowns on a rotation and only moving to get out of a red circle or whatever, but WoW...amongst those kinds of cooldown-rotation type rpg games is by FAR the best of its kind IMO.

I think too though that many of its audience don't genuinely like the game, they're addicted to it, and then they bash the game afterwards because they were playing it for the wrong reasons for too long, and think they made some amazing discovery about how much more fun they had after quitting...They are having more fun after quitting not because the game stunk, or because other games were better...But because they were bored of it and were playing it anyway. I can tell these people out in-game nearly instantly too.

People who play WoW and enjoy it do 5 mans, make alts (people who never make alts may like it too, but I'm just saying nobody makes alts all the time if bored), not out of guild necessity either, etc...The people who play for the wrong reasons.. they're the people who often do NOT do a 5man because "they don't need it", and do their dailies and weeklys down religiously. If you aren't willing to do a 5man or old raid relatively often because "you don't need it", you should just quit the game already.

I was STILL having fun with WoW when I quit, but I have no desire to start again either simply because I enjoy other MMO's that have actual player-skill based combat more (and I know player skill matters in wow too to an extent, but the ceiling is really rather quite low compared to something like Vindictus).

To be fair, if you've never played WoW before, you won't know how great the game used to be - and I'm not being facetious when I say that - so you might just love it. You could always try it on a trial account and then if you decide it's not your thing, then you've really lost nothing.  Nothing ventured, nothing gained, really.

I started playing it about a year into BC i think...not sure, I never got to the end game stuff in bc before wrath came out. I was ok with the game until wrath came out then it really felt like it went down hill. Before Wrath we didn't have dungeon finder and there was no cross realm group que bs in dungeons. In Wrath end Game Raids where all about who could tankasour the most and who could blow up dps charts, really no group strategy involved outside what ever bare min stuff you needed to do to not wipe on boss fights. Cata started to bring it back, groups where using CC and all that stuff again, then they completely destroyed it with Raid Finder and Dragon Soul (Most depressing Raid ever...in my opinion). PvP, pff i tried a few times but its still very much player vs gear for anyone who doesn't hit max level close after the launch of a new Expansion (Sorry but if it takes half you're team to have enough damage to kill two dudes pvp is broken plain and simple). If you are considering playing it, try the trial version first (you level to 20 then it stops you but you play that small bit for free. I haven't played WoD expansion so i don't know if the game is any better than it was when i left.

I used to really like WoW, I personally was a bit of a late player only starting to play when Cataclysm came out. Questing through from the start I liked The Burning Crusade locations and I quite liked Lich King, but found after a while it got a bit boring but I really liked Cataclysm. I found myself playing a fair bit and I had found a nice Alliance guild full of friendly people of all skill levels, it was quite a casual guild which I think helped ease me into the game as i found with dungeon finder you get slagged off and called a noob if your dps wasn't brilliant, which you can say is fair enough but it makes you not want to play it. As I got to the more end game content I started raiding with the guild a bit more which was quite good, but even as an average player I found that even I started getting frustrated with other players in the guild.

When the Mists of Pandaria came out, I had been on a sabatical and came back to the game and naturally found that all my gear was out of date and I started to find the game a bit of a chore, it felt like I was starting from scratch again, trying to do instances to get better gear whilst being slagged off by people that have not taken a break from the game since day dot. As an expansion I didnt find myself getting into it as much as I did Cataclysm.

Finally we come to Warlords of Draenor, which I actually kinda like. Again I came back to the game from not playing it for over 12months and initially I enjoyed starting to level to 100 and getting the new gear and doing the new instances which I really like, but after I hit 100 i started to get bored again. The daily quest you get from your garrison i found very tedious because you get to an area and there can be so many people in the area and the monsters just dont spawn quick enough and you have to kill so many of them to complete the quest it takes a good hour of your time.

After my essay this is my problem with WoW, its like a career. You have to spend a lot of hours a week to make sure you keep up with the high level gear on offer, you have to level up your professions to try and make money, you have various daily quests to do at your garrison that take a bit of time and become very repetitive after a few days. So basically if like me, you like to go down the pub or you like to play other games or you have friends that exist in the real world or you have a job to go to, it can be a hard game to enjoy.

I am not saying WoW is a bad game, I played loads when Draenor came out, but unlike some of the people in my guild I cant bring myself to log on and play everyday of the year because I have other games I like to play and I like to go and have beers with friends. So in a nut shell that is my WoW experience.