• Welcome to the Angry Joe Show Army!

Join our community of gamers passionate about our community and our hobby! Whether it's playing, discussing, or watching games, regardless of platform, genre, or location, we have a place for you, always!

• PS4 Forum

The AJSA Playstation 4 Division: Game Nights and More!

The AJSA is on Playstation 4! Join us for weekly Game Nights with a selection of the best games the PS4 has to offer!

• XBO Forum

The AJSA Xbox One Division: We Got You Covered!

The AJSA Xbox One Division is ready to connect with you on XBox Live with a ton of events for the best Xbox games!

• News Archive

The Best News from the Best Sites, Every Week.

The AJSA News Collection Team is hard at work condensing a week's worth of news into one giant-sze digest for you to chew on and discuss! Links to source articles are always provided!

• More Info

The AJSA Expeditionary Force: Deploying to Play the Best PC Games!

The elite vanguard of the AJSA, the Expeditionary Force (EF) chooses a new PC game every week! Join us for weekly events and help decide if the game has a future in the AJSA.

• The Team

Streaming Now: The AJSA Stream Team

Joe can't stream every game, but our talented AJSA Stream Team covers a wide variety of games and personalities! Check them out, and show them some AJSA Love!

• The Tube

The AJSA Community YouTube Channel

Featuring news, gameplay clips, and more from the community! The Community is a chance to showcase the best moments in AJSA Gaming!

GoodOldSmurf

2015 and the "new generation PC components"

New gen gaming PC hardware poll   18 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think the performance gap between current generation and next generation will be?

• The difference will be minimal
    • The difference will be maximal
    • Remains to be seen
  2. 2. Do you think Star Citizen will dramatically force new hardware to be far superior (perhaps 50% performance increase) to current hardware available?

• Yep
    • Nope
    • Not sure
  3. 3. Should next generation components offer a 50% increase in performance, would you upgrade?

• Yes
    • No
    • I have no idea

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

36 posts in this topic

as 2015 begins, many technologies were scheduled to come out this year

im really curious as how AJSA feels about the upcoming PC technologies and how it might harshly influence PC games and the current hardware (essentially making "new PCs" partially outdated in less than 2 years)

pick a selection from the poll :)

Admittedly I am not as up to date as I would like, however I saw a battery technology that would allow batteries to be charged in a matter of minutes that was supposed to be released. Not sure if it was this was supposed to be released this year but they said it could affect laptops and phones considerably when I read about it. (Admittedly several years ago) 

As for other hardware I am curious to see where technology will go and in my humble opinion I would like to see a viable alternative to circuit boards, something different and more efficient though who knows maybe that is a pipe dream lol. I guess I am hoping for something to give computers a different look or more power with significantly less space than say ATX size motherboards or those huge graphics cards. Just something I would like to see but likely won't this year, and even if it did come out it would likely not be in my price range.

Until games require these new technological advances in order to run this won't make any difference and anyone who panic buys these new parts because "it's next-generation PC" are in for a major disappointment. PC technology is constantly moving, so putting off the decision to invest in it because something better will come along is pointless, but that's no reason to buy unnecessary and expensive computer parts just because they're there.

Until games require these new technological advances in order to run this won't make any difference

Star Citizen is the first game of these

Chris Roberts is well known for pushing PC hardware to the limits and he said many times that he wont hesitate to take more resources and would work with companies (principally AMD, NVIDIA and Intel) to further push hardware forward, in short we can count on Star Citizen to continuously require more resources as an optional but long-term development

kinda hard to explain, you will have the option to use lower settings but you can expect to see new hardware to release frequently ever 2-3 years that offers major performance increases

already the lack of resources was becoming obvious but Star Citizen puts the nails in the coffin

already Game Debate put recommended system requirements for Star Citizen to FX-8350 for AMD CPUs, i7-5770k for Intel, GTX 970 for NVIDIA, R9 290X for AMD and it has no minimum system requirements at all

goes on to show that, its not an exaggeration to suspect a major shift in the hardwares design and specifications (HD&S)

i also heard Planetside 2 devs are complaining alot about the lack of resources available for them to work on their games (they cant put all they want in the game and have to excessively optimize it), many other game devs have been complaining for years as well

Star Citizen is the first game of these

Chris Roberts is well known for pushing PC hardware to the limits and he said many times that he wont hesitate to take more resources and would work with companies (principally AMD, NVIDIA and Intel) to further push hardware forward, in short we can count on Star Citizen to continuously require more resources as an optional but long-term development

kinda hard to explain, you will have the option to use lower settings but you can expect to see new hardware to release frequently ever 2-3 years that offers major performance increases

already the lack of resources was becoming obvious but Star Citizen puts the nails in the coffin

already Game Debate put recommended system requirements for Star Citizen to FX-8350 for AMD CPUs, i7-5770k for Intel, GTX 970 for NVIDIA, R9 290X for AMD and it has no minimum system requirements at all

goes on to show that, its not an exaggeration to suspect a major shift in the hardwares design and specifications (HD&S)

i also heard Planetside 2 devs are complaining alot about the lack of resources available for them to work on their games (they cant put all they want in the game and have to excessively optimize it), many other game devs have been complaining for years as well

And this is why I won't buy Star Citizen. It's more like an experiment than a game and I refuse to upgrade my new PC just to pay to be some dev's guinea pig. It's a good thing most developers out there, even amongst those who make games for the PC only, have the common sense to keep their games a level that doesn't alienate players with less advanced hardware. So, I still feel that normal game development isn't going to necessitate this level of hardware for a while yet.

baronrouker likes this

I just got myself a 970 not 3 months ago to go with an i7 3770 and 16GB of DDR3. I'm not planning on upgrading for a while if I don't need to. I'm not particularly a fan of promoting the idea of upgrading the highest tier hardware every release cycle just to run a game. It takes the joy out of playing a game and makes it more of a challenge just to keep up with technology.

EDIT: I just looked on Star Citizen's site and it says the minimum requirement is a 64 bit windows OS, DX11 card with 1GB VRAM, Quad Core CPU, and 8GB of memory. Not nearly as bad as I thought and I'm sure the super duper high requirements are for full everything 1080P including whatever AA settings are in there

ThE_MarD likes this

We'll always need pioneers and people to support them else we go nowhere, I own a 5 Grand PC because things came together for me I don't pretend it was the best choice but I'm pretty happy with it.

Buuuut, those who aim to push the boundaries risk alienating those unwilling or unable to shell out for a monster, and there's nothing wrong with that kind of person, I mean heck my 5 Grand beast could actually have been more powerful for less I just threw in some things beyond the pure guts and spine that I wanted for the hell of it that ballooned the price to heaven come.  

Sorry, I find my answers don't adjust to the options....

* What do you think the performance gap between current generation and next generation will be?

I think we've already seen a significative leap on performance with the fifth i7 generation.

The multiple threads and increased RAM speeds makes rendering at less than half the time for 4 times the price.

But the benefit is still lost on games, where the increase ranges around 10-20%

Also, nVidia launched their new 9XX family, which has various upgrades, but improvement is not that spectacular.

So I think this new computing generation will bring a nice upgrade (overall 25% performance), but not outstanding.

* Do you think Star Citizen will dramatically force new hardware to be far superior (perhaps 50% performance increase) to current hardware available?

I don't think SC will have that much influence on gaming.

I'd rather bet on big, overhyped, buggy, AAA games from infamous publishers to keep on demanding better hardware from PCs to keep up with choppy framerates due to halfassed optimization.

Mostly due to PC fanboys wanting to brag on console players about how smoother and nicer their game looks, even if it's the same broken crap.

* Should next generation components offer a 50% increase in performance, would you upgrade?

I'll upgrade eventually even if the upgrade's not that high.

But I'm not an early adopter, so I become a non-issue.

I'm musing on getting an R9 850 GPU next year, and the introduction of Rage 300 will only influence my decision by lowering the 280's price, not from me musing over getting a newer, shinier 380 or something like that.

Also, I'll eventually upgrade my A-10 APU to whatever comes from the to-be-released birds-of-prey APUs. Even if that takes 3-4 years.

ThE_MarD likes this

And this is why I won't buy Star Citizen. It's more like an experiment than a game and I refuse to upgrade my new PC just to pay to be some dev's guinea pig. It's a good thing most developers out there, even amongst those who make games for the PC only, have the common sense to keep their games a level that doesn't alienate players with less advanced hardware. So, I still feel that normal game development isn't going to necessitate this level of hardware for a while yet.

i see your point but like i said, you will have the option to run the game on many many rigs with as low as 1GB of vRAM or as much as 6GB of vRAM, etc.

you will be able to run the game how you see fit, however its obvious that the real deal will be highest quality in 1080p and thats where the new gen hardware comes in :P

* Do you think Star Citizen will dramatically force new hardware to be far superior (perhaps 50% performance increase) to current hardware available?

I don't think SC will have that much influence on gaming.

I'd rather bet on big, overhyped, buggy, AAA games from infamous publishers to keep on demanding better hardware from PCs to keep up with choppy framerates due to halfassed optimization.

Mostly due to PC fanboys wanting to brag on console players about how smoother and nicer their game looks, even if it's the same broken crap.

i really dont think AAA games will push the boundaries seeing how they tried to compress instead of expand

im pretty sure alot of people are still underestimating the impact Star Citizen is going to have on PC gaming, in fact it already had a major one

due to Cloud Imperium's partnership with pretty much all hardware manufacturers (Intel, NVIDIA, AMD, Kingston, Corsair, etc.), some components like the Rage-300 and the DDR4 RAMs were further delayed altho DDR4 is actually available now

obviously Star Citizen isnt the only factor but its worth mentioning its a major one and alot of people tend to underestimate the impact it will have

any hardware companies want their hardware to be superior and the fact Star Citizen will just stomp on the hardware's capabilities means they will want to work on more powerful hardware and stay competitive by the same occasion therefore ensuring very high marketing

still i get your point, hope more people will comment their thoughts on this stuff :3

Puntosmx likes this

Heyyo,

Ehh I'd say the next jump will be a good one for GPU's at least when they go down to 20nm. I can see Maxwell performing fantastically there... It would be nice if AMD also follows suit and makes their architecture more efficient. I did enjoy the performance of my ol' GTX 480's but there's no way I'm going to go back to that loud of a GPU setup ever again... that was insane how they always performed near their thermal limits and would suffer of thermal throttling... so yeah... efficiency with more stable performance is what I'd love to see AMD do. NVIDIA already made massive improvements since the 400 series but AMD's gotta make a change from Hawaii.

As for Star Citizen "forcing" faster hardware? Nah. They use Cryengine which can already put out great visuals and performance as I've seen with Crysis Warhead especially compared to the first Crysis game. Crysis 2 was also pretty darn good for performance compared to the visuals... so as detailed as Star Citizen is? They better make damn sure it's playable on current gen hardware or no one's going to give it good ratings.

You know what's my biggest fear? Star Citizen falls flat on its face. They've created such a hype machine and the demo runs like ass right now (albeit it is Alpha) so hopefully it makes big changes... Ryse: Son of Rome I remember hearing ran pretty decent albeit multi-GPU sucked in it...

I already am eyeing the GTX 980... but the problem is? It still gets the same performance as my current Two-Way SLI setup with the GTX 680s I have that there's no point since I don't plan on dropping a crapton of cash on a 4k monitor or a ultra widescreen monitor.

Puntosmx likes this

As for Star Citizen "forcing" faster hardware? Nah. They use Cryengine which can already put out great visuals and performance as I've seen with Crysis Warhead especially compared to the first Crysis game. Crysis 2 was also pretty darn good for performance compared to the visuals... so as detailed as Star Citizen is? They better make damn sure it's playable on current gen hardware or no one's going to give it good ratings.

You know what's my biggest fear? Star Citizen falls flat on its face. They've created such a hype machine and the demo runs like ass right now (albeit it is Alpha) so hopefully it makes big changes... Ryse: Son of Rome I remember hearing ran pretty decent albeit multi-GPU sucked in it...

it was my same worry but then again, Chris Robert has nothing to prove and i believe he will deliver what he promises

theres things people asked him in Ten for the Chairman and you can see that he knows what hes doing, whatever he couldnt promise he simply said things like "we dont know yet" or "we are currently working on how it will work but for now..."

he has my complete trust because hes fairly realistic and moderate in his promises and i know im not the only one who completely trusts him (AJ himself and the some of the AJSA council)

what i actually fear is a momentum by a company in the hardware market that causes the whole industry to collapse

Chris is someone that shouldnt be underestimated in any way, he always delivered what he promised

i learned that the embarassing way

i really dont think AAA games will push the boundaries seeing how they tried to compress instead of expand

im pretty sure alot of people are still underestimating the impact Star Citizen is going to have on PC gaming, in fact it already had a major one

due to Cloud Imperium's partnership with pretty much all hardware manufacturers (Intel, NVIDIA, AMD, Kingston, Corsair, etc.), some components like the Rage-300 and the DDR4 RAMs were further delayed altho DDR4 is actually available now

obviously Star Citizen isnt the only factor but its worth mentioning its a major one and alot of people tend to underestimate the impact it will have

any hardware companies want their hardware to be superior and the fact Star Citizen will just stomp on the hardware's capabilities means they will want to work on more powerful hardware and stay competitive by the same occasion therefore ensuring very high marketing

still i get your point, hope more people will comment their thoughts on this stuff :3

Probably, Star Citizen, along with a handful other games or programs, will be the reason many early adopters will embrace the next technological leap, and that's a crucial step of such a leap.

But the core audience and late adopters will require further incentive, and a hundred high-requirements games will certainly make people ger 9XXs and Rage 300s.

I guess that in that sense, we're both kinda right.

Although, I didn't know about Cloud Imperium's involvement with hardware manufacturers, and that's why I thought it was less influential than it is :)

ThE_MarD likes this

Probably, Star Citizen, along with a handful other games or programs, will be the reason many early adopters will embrace the next technological leap, and that's a crucial step of such a leap.

But the core audience and late adopters will require further incentive, and a hundred high-requirements games will certainly make people ger 9XXs and Rage 300s.

I guess that in that sense, we're both kinda right.

Although, I didn't know about Cloud Imperium's involvement with hardware manufacturers, and that's why I thought it was less influential than it is :)

they arent directly involved in design or anything but they have a direct partnership

they are developing the game and giving companies concrete evaluations as well as feedbacks while testing for their own game performance

AMD is the principal partner of Cloud Imperium and Chris Robert's team and are directly involved on Star Citizen (kinda obvious, they are in for Mantle, HSA and their Rage-300 series) altho NVIDIA does have a direct involvement as well, not sure about Intel, i doubt it but they do have a partnership too

their role is mostly getting feedbacks and supplying stuff for testing & development with the exception, once again, of AMD (i believe NVIDIA did get involved with PhysX and G-sync but i just cant confirm even if its obvious that they theorically did)

im so confident of the impact Star Citizen will have that ill be running around naked under the rain for 5 mins if SC is a flop, dont think i wont do it cuz i will :lol:

No, I don't think the changes will be big.

--Because we're reaching the limits of what the materials that make components can do. So to put off R&Ding up new materials. Companies will release similar tech. Look at Nvidia, their one chipset spanned the old gen cards (500 series) and into the next gen (600 series). They just unlocked more of the CUDA cores and upped the speeds of the GPU and Memory

No, I don't think SC will be a game changer.

--No gaming company is going to make it so only $2500+ rigs can run their games (unless their Ubisoft...*cough* Unity *cough*). I suspect that even my rig from 2009 will be able run on 'High' with at least 40fps (dipping to 20fps in crowded areas). This is based off of playing with the Flight Sim and Hangar modules right now.

Yes! Like I said, 2009 rig... :P

No, I don't think the changes will be big.

--Because we're reaching the limits of what the materials that make components can do. So to put off R&Ding up new materials. Companies will release similar tech. Look at Nvidia, their one chipset spanned the old gen cards (500 series) and into the next gen (600 series). They just unlocked more of the CUDA cores and upped the speeds of the GPU and Memory

No, I don't think SC will be a game changer.

--No gaming company is going to make it so only $2500+ rigs can run their games (unless their Ubisoft...*cough* Unity *cough*). I suspect that even my rig from 2009 will be able run on 'High' with at least 40fps (dipping to 20fps in crowded areas). This is based off of playing with the Flight Sim and Hangar modules right now.

Yes! Like I said, 2009 rig... :P

alot of people seem to think the same

funny enough, components with sillicon are indeed reaching the limits but not the quantum compute :P

note that what i said about SC is not that you will need a Uber PC to run it, just that the game will essentially have no limit to the amount of resources it can take from pretty much any current generation hardware :rolleyes:

I know, I'm saying SC will not take a hardware level to run that will require better hardware than what is typically used now.

We'll probably see 2048x2048 textures on Ultra, but not 4096x4096 or anything higher. Which would push hardware to be better.

...why strive to reach the sky, if you're going to hit the glass ceiling. :P

I know, I'm saying SC will not take a hardware level to run that will require better hardware than what is typically used now.

We'll probably see 2048x2048 textures on Ultra, but not 4096x4096 or anything higher. Which would push hardware to be better.

...why strive to reach the sky, if you're going to hit the glass ceiling. :P

well maybe on the GPU side but keep in mind the minimum requirements for the game will be a quad-core and recommended will be the monster of a octa-core

Chris also mentioned keeping up-to-date with the PC technology so if a more powerful GPU or CPU comes out it will support it and further take even more resources so that they can add even more stuff while maintaining the typical quad-core minimum limit so that people dont rage at their PCs being outdated

what im saying here is my point is im pretty convinced it will end the quad-core era pretty quickly since especially right now companies want their hardware to be the top and crush any game, Roberts knows that and so he intends to push the hardware to the limit so the companies comes out with even more powerful hardware

thats the point im trying to make :P

So long as places like Dell exist, Quad-core is here to stay.

--Sent on a brand new Dell Dual-core i5 Workstation

:(

So long as places like Dell exist, Quad-core is here to stay.

--Sent on a brand new Dell Dual-core i5 Workstation

:(

i really disagree on that one, not even Intel can keep it up

i keep hearing from many sources including an uncle of mine that works for Microstuff claiming that Intel's CPUs may be lagging considerably on Windows 10 and that octa-cores will be the real deal when it comes to SC (i read that somewhere on the RSI forums, random post in the techie stuff altho Chris Roberts also confirmed that in 10 for the Chairman on youtube at some point)

from what i can gather, Windows 10 will have Mantle AND Dx implemented by default along with HSA and other vital technologies meaning that AMD's APUs will have a significant boost as all new applications made for Windows 10 will support these features (the features are confirmed, apparently; still trying to find a source to confirm myself)

according to the insane amount of rumors and whatever things i keep hearing more and more, Intel might actually be in trouble with their current CPUs and should that happen then AMD will become the ideal brand to use Win10 and Windows 10 will become ideal to play Star Citizen since it will furthermore use the full potential of 8 cores

im actually worried about that, the last thing i want to see is either Intel or AMD getting 70% of the entire marketshare

however on the bright side, Intel has alot of resources to spend and such an event would force them to create a new type of CPUs that can rival and top AMD and there you go; the "new generation" comes up :)

im actually worried about that, the last thing i want to see is either Intel or AMD getting 70% of the entire marketshare

however on the bright side, Intel has alot of resources to spend and such an event would force them to create a new type of CPUs that can rival and top AMD and there you go; the "new generation" comes up :)

What I'd really like would be for nVidia to get some 86/64 patent and get to craft CPUs and APUs and whatever else they may.

Then, have IBM return to being a CPU player again.

Four companies make for better competition than two ;)

What I'd really like would be for nVidia to get some 86/64 patent and get to craft CPUs and APUs and whatever else they may.

Then, have IBM return to being a CPU player again.

Four companies make for better competition than two ;)

judging by the way NVIDIA has been doing business for the last 10 years, i really dont think that would be good news if they started competting all-out market however IBM? now that would be amazing considering they have always been aggressive on the competition :)

i cant even picture Star Citizen running on some "new generation" IBM components lel :lol:

My reference to that Dell, is that companies won't be buying Hex/Octo core workstations because they cost too much profit (seriously, I've seen multi-million dollar profit companies still using Windows 98 machines specifically because they didn't see the advantage of dropping ~$300 on a new, First Gen i3 [so like late 2009] system).

So long as that mentality continues in the 'work world', Dual-core and Quad-core systems will continue to exist. Which will do nothing but stifle program development (either in games or in business applications).

My reference to that Dell, is that companies won't be buying Hex/Octo core workstations because they cost too much profit (seriously, I've seen multi-million dollar profit companies still using Windows 98 machines specifically because they didn't see the advantage of dropping ~$300 on a new, First Gen i3 [so like late 2009] system).

So long as that mentality continues in the 'work world', Dual-core and Quad-core systems will continue to exist. Which will do nothing but stifle program development (either in games or in business applications).

i see the point you are trying to make however i disagree and perhaps the most important reason why is simply because gaming business has become huge and it just never stops growing with the exception of 2013-2014 where gaming actually experienced its second decline ever but by late 2014, gaming started growing again so it was slowly declining for less than a whole year :P

gaming and enterprising are becoming more and more apart and gaming is taking more than half computers business now in every form so if games start using full 8-cores, programs will start using more and more power as well and so the enterprising domain will be using more and more cores systematically

hope you get the point im trying to make, it wont happen overnight but it still will happen eventually; all it takes is a tiny flame to light up the whole place

remember what they said about having more than 1 or 2 cores before the quads came to the market and started getting the most sales for consumers :P

of course quads will continue to be very common for the next 5-10 years or more but im predicting that within the next 10 years the 8-cores will have the "standard issue CPU title" that the quads have now be holding for quite some time just like the 1920x1080 resolution

remember what they said about having more than 1 or 2 cores 

That even in 2015 you'd still be able to buy them? :P

...well, the dual core anyways. Single core appears to be dead even in the mobile market; finally.

---

I foresee us having the current levels of CPUs for quite sometime (15yrs+)

Entry: Dual Core with virtualized cores (psuedo-quad core) [intel] / 'True' Quad core [AMD]

Intermediate: Quad Core w/ higher clocks [intel/AMD]

Advanced: Hex Core [intel/AMD]

Legend: Octo core [intel/AMD]

((I didn't get a Hex core specifically because it was about $300 extra...too much for me to spend on my first major system build. And I know I'm not the only one who scoffs at those $600+ prices for CPUs. So, both AMD and Intel will continue to cater to us; forcing games to accommodate those lower-end systems. Thus, very few will spend the development time making their games look the best.))

Puntosmx likes this

That even in 2015 you'd still be able to buy them? :P

...well, the dual core anyways. Single core appears to be dead even in the mobile market; finally.

---

I foresee us having the current levels of CPUs for quite sometime (15yrs+)

Entry: Dual Core with virtualized cores (psuedo-quad core) [intel] / 'True' Quad core [AMD]

Intermediate: Quad Core w/ higher clocks [intel/AMD]

Advanced: Hex Core [intel/AMD]

Legend: Octo core [intel/AMD]

((I didn't get a Hex core specifically because it was about $300 extra...too much for me to spend on my first major system build. And I know I'm not the only one who scoffs at those $600+ prices for CPUs. So, both AMD and Intel will continue to cater to us; forcing games to accommodate those lower-end systems. Thus, very few will spend the development time making their games look the best.))

seeing that many games now require quad-cores to run and devs continuously complaining about quad-cores lacking too much of power, i really doubt we will stay with quads more than 10 years

we will see, should be interesting since it would pretty much be the first time ever that my prediction turns out to be incorrect :P

as far as back in 2007-2008 i predicted quad-cores would unexpectedly start becoming less and less "standard" for gaming before the first tier of the 21st century ends so yeh

once Star Citizen comes out full fledged, ima make an accurate year date but until then i cant read technology enough to have a sure shot :ph34r:

if i had to follow my instincts, i would say 2021-2022 will be the time where 8-cores becomes more and more standard, then again i have to read the latest technology to make something perfectly accurate