• Welcome to the Angry Joe Show Army!

Join our community of gamers passionate about our community and our hobby! Whether it's playing, discussing, or watching games, regardless of platform, genre, or location, we have a place for you, always!

• PS4 Forum

The AJSA Playstation 4 Division: Game Nights and More!

The AJSA is on Playstation 4! Join us for weekly Game Nights with a selection of the best games the PS4 has to offer!

• XBO Forum

The AJSA Xbox One Division: We Got You Covered!

The AJSA Xbox One Division is ready to connect with you on XBox Live with a ton of events for the best Xbox games!

• News Archive

The Best News from the Best Sites, Every Week.

The AJSA News Collection Team is hard at work condensing a week's worth of news into one giant-sze digest for you to chew on and discuss! Links to source articles are always provided!

• More Info

The AJSA Expeditionary Force: Deploying to Play the Best PC Games!

The elite vanguard of the AJSA, the Expeditionary Force (EF) chooses a new PC game every week! Join us for weekly events and help decide if the game has a future in the AJSA.

• The Team

Streaming Now: The AJSA Stream Team

Joe can't stream every game, but our talented AJSA Stream Team covers a wide variety of games and personalities! Check them out, and show them some AJSA Love!

• The Tube

The AJSA Community YouTube Channel

Featuring news, gameplay clips, and more from the community! The Community is a chance to showcase the best moments in AJSA Gaming!

Jinzuro

Health Insurance BS

36 posts in this topic

Sometimes you just gotta vent.

So I'm sitting here staring at my last check stub that I always use to file taxes, and I'm dealing with realization for this year I've been forced to get health insurance just so I don't get a penalty for something I don't need. I mean I get sick once ever 8-10 years and its a damn cold. I don't need to go to the doctor for that. So starting 2015 I have to look forward to losing $86 for health insurance a month, that I wont be using. Yes, I get to write it off at the end of the year on taxes, but its certainly not helping me by being present.

I'm still wondering even how the hell this got through. If I recall something along the lines of "oh, we didn't know that was in there".... Well why the hell would you pass something if you didn't know all of what was in it? This is about as bad as the time I got my first savings account and discovered the government places a tax on it. Wtf am I saving for then? I have to say for every good step forward, there's always some way they discover to try to tear you down bit by bit. I might join the other 100,000+ (of course this isn't accurate) who will probably check off muslim on their tax return form just so they don't have to pay the penalty for religious reasons. Damn...I'd have a long battle with my conscious on that... maybe. Government and big corporations tend to get away with all the unholy grace of hell, yet let the little people stick one toe over that line. Canned.

As usual, I'll just have to do what people have been doing for years. Find a way around the bs handed to us. Lets do this.

I think you should've posted this in off topic.

Lol. I meant to. It was by accident I posted it here. That is one fitting image. By far what I'm feeling right now. I mean had he fixed the "job" issue first and then tried to do something with health care I wouldn't have cared. In fact he wouldn't have had to implement any penalties or in any case even bothered with it. Fix it so people can gain more revenue or in the case "any" revenue job wise and they'll get what they need, or naturally mostly want. But that's just it, choice. Which was not given when they put that bill in as far as this was concerned. Its about as bad as Social Security. A lot of people would be better off without it and having more money in their checks. I mean come on, the government can't even save their own money I'm supposed to expect them to save mine?

Sol Omega likes this

I myself am not a fan of it at all either.

The last time I ever needed hospital care was like, 8 years ago! EIGHT YEARS!

And the time before that? When I was Four Years Old!

I don't have any illnesses, I don't have any blood cancers, or diabettes or anything that needs constant medical care.

I have great vision, great hearing, and am careful enough I don't get hurt to the point I need a hospital.

I don't need this stuff yet. Not until I'm at least a LOT older and then my body starts to crap out.

And of course if you say "I don't need it" they will say "Something might happen."

And I hate that. If the odds are 1 in 2,750,000 .... they will say "It could happen"

Yeah... but it's not going to. We all know it. If the odds are that slim, say it's not going to happen.

Sure it's not "correct", but it's the truth.

I'm going to just say I can't afford it or something. I ain't paying for health care. I ain't paying no fine.

They want to treat me like a criminal cause I'm healthy. Go right ahead!

Jinzuro likes this

I don't have any illnesses, I don't have any blood cancers, or diabettes or anything that needs constant medical care.

I have great vision, great hearing, and am careful enough I don't get hurt to the point I need a hospital.

I don't need this stuff yet. Not until I'm at least a LOT older and then my body starts to crap out.

And of course if you say "I don't need it" they will say "Something might happen."

And I hate that. If the odds are 1 in 2,750,000 .... they will say "It could happen"

Yeah... but it's not going to. We all know it. If the odds are that slim, say it's not going to happen.

I'm going to just say I can't afford it or something. I ain't paying for health care. I ain't paying no fine.

Exactly. If I feel I need something I'll get it. I don't need it shoved down my throat. Already from my first check its just been a pain. I can only think of all the other things I could be using that money for that I need right now. Thankfully I've thought of a work around to compensate for the extra I have to pay, but thats extra I could have been putting to good use elsewhere.

mrfool likes this

Exactly. If I feel I need something I'll get it. I don't need it shoved down my throat. Already from my first check its just been a pain. I can only think of all the other things I could be using that money for that I need right now. Thankfully I've thought of a work around to compensate for the extra I have to pay, but thats extra I could have been putting to good use elsewhere.

I'm gonna try this.

I'm gonna try and get on SNAP Food Stamps just cause.

I'll make up a case, etc. See if I can.

If I can, then I'll pay for healthcare.

In the end, i'll be saving more money.

Where's 2and900 when you need him?

So you're saying that im a communist? XD

I'm gonna try this.

I'm gonna try and get on SNAP Food Stamps just cause.

I'll make up a case, etc. See if I can.

If I can, then I'll pay for healthcare.

In the end, i'll be saving more money.

Do what you need to. In my case I fix computers for people on the side as well as do a bit of mturk that I can get an extra $200 aside from the money I make from work. So its got my bases covered. I've only had issue with the first check of the year because I forgot about them deducting from my check.

I recommend just not getting it, the penalty that you pay per year for not having it is much less than what you pay while you do have it. And you also have to pay the first couple thousand or so before the insurance kicks in anyways. And by that point you will have most likely paid it off. If you get hit by a bus than so be it; you will have to pay it off yourself, but the chances of this are not high enough to justify the chunks it sucks out of your check.

About five years ago I noticed that I was losing peripheral vision in my left eye. 

Went to the optician= nothing wrong with the eye so booked a hospitaal appointment. After a brief consultation I had an MRI scan where it was discovered that I had a growth in part of my brain pressing against my optic nerve.

After trialling with a drug therapy for a while the growth was only minimally diminished so I agreed with a neurosurgeon that the best thing to do was to remove it via surgery.  Whilst apparently what I had was relatively safe , the words, tumour, brain, and surgery next to one another are never fun.

The one thing I never had to worry about- EVER - was money. Even when on medication I paid £7.50 (I think around $12 US give or take) whihc is the standard rate ANYONE in the UK pays for a prescription drug.No matter what that drug is or who makes it. 

God Bless you NHS and I hope all the rotten money grubbing bastards who are trying to privatise you and make you a soulless money factory die of Hepititis A, B and C. 

MadDemon64 likes this

Well the US healthcare system is bonkers. I once got a bill that almost made me shit my pants after getting out of the hospital in Austin after a car crash.

Thank God for insurance though.

MadDemon64 likes this

I recommend just not getting it, the penalty that you pay per year for not having it is much less than what you pay while you do have it. And you also have to pay the first couple thousand or so before the insurance kicks in anyways. And by that point you will have most likely paid it off. If you get hit by a bus than so be it; you will have to pay it off yourself, but the chances of this are not high enough to justify the chunks it sucks out of your check.

Problem with that is if you don't get it, it doubles every year. You didn't have it in 2014 your getting hit with $90, in 2015 up to $300. Then there is the bs about taking 1% of your check. Whichever is greater between that and your tax return. Its going to force people to get it. As far as mine goes, I'll deal with the consequences of my choices but in this case I wasn't given much of one. Its pretty much an ultimatum in which either way I'm paying money for something I don't want, at least in this period of my life.

About five years ago I noticed that I was losing peripheral vision in my left eye. 

Went to the optician= nothing wrong with the eye so booked a hospitaal appointment. After a brief consultation I had an MRI scan where it was discovered that I had a growth in part of my brain pressing against my optic nerve.

After trialling with a drug therapy for a while the growth was only minimally diminished so I agreed with a neurosurgeon that the best thing to do was to remove it via surgery.  Whilst apparently what I had was relatively safe , the words, tumour, brain, and surgery next to one another are never fun.

The one thing I never had to worry about- EVER - was money. Even when on medication I paid £7.50 (I think around $12 US give or take) whihc is the standard rate ANYONE in the UK pays for a prescription drug.No matter what that drug is or who makes it. 

God Bless you NHS and I hope all the rotten money grubbing bastards who are trying to privatise you and make you a soulless money factory die of Hepititis A, B and C. 

If only we had that here. We only have devil insurance companies. The different rates tell you what level of hell your in. It gets pretty deep.

Well the US healthcare system is bonkers. I once got a bill that almost made me shit my pants after getting out of the hospital in Austin after a car crash.

Thank God for insurance though.

Insurance itself I don't have an issue with. I can understand its benefits. My problem is the fact their forcing us to take it. My choice to get it is basically steam rolled out of the way. If they can get away with this, think about what other decisions they'll gladly make for us and force us to take.

Free healthcare in the UK from the NHS

Xj2KJvN.gifXj2KJvN.gifXj2KJvN.gif

The face corporate america and high government officials.

just pay for the insurance, what is the problem?

you're in the wealthiest country in the world. you enjoy the following:

- lower tax rates and more variable tax rates than plenty of other 1st world / rich countries

- some of the lowest grocery prices ever seen, only on par with the UK and / or canada.

- fuel prices still lower than almost any other country on the east side of the atlantic.

fine, it's not good that you have a private healthcare system and need to pay for insurance to get anything out of it, IF you get sick, but you aren't being ripped off, you save on other things that plenty of people over here don't save on. what you pay out on insurance per month as well as your taxes probably amounts to the same basic level of tax deducted from a UK employee per month.

just pay it. what if you get into a major car accident and lose an arm or a leg? what if you get cancer? have you seen breaking bad? can you really afford to start cooking crystal meth to sell it to cover the costs of your enormous uninsured healthcare bills? if you can get covered for almost anything for just a lousy $86 a month, then pay it. your life and wellbeing is worth WAY more than $86 a month.

do you know why so many people in the UK pay for home insurance but pretty much no one ever uses it and therefore is a waste of money? because there's always the "what if i arrive home today and find everything is gone". even if you paid for 50+ years and nothing happened until that ONE day... having that insurance is still worth it for that ONE day of your life when you need it the most.

if you get into a major accident and are almost dead or cut in pieces, or get a life threatening illness you will be kicking yourself in the teeth that you didn't have insurance. stop thinking about it as a waste of money. you're insuring your life. pay it. end of story.

just pay for the insurance, what is the problem?

- lower tax rates and more variable tax rates than plenty of other 1st world / rich countries

- some of the lowest grocery prices ever seen, only on par with the UK and / or canada.

- fuel prices still lower than almost any other country on the east side of the atlantic.

fine, it's not good that you have a private healthcare system and need to pay for insurance to get anything out of it, IF you get sick, but you aren't being ripped off, you save on other things that plenty of people over here don't save on. what you pay out on insurance per month as well as your taxes probably amounts to the same basic level of tax deducted from a UK employee per month.

just pay it. what if you get into a major car accident and lose an arm or a leg? what if you get cancer? have you seen breaking bad? can you really afford to start cooking crystal meth to sell it to cover the costs of your enormous uninsured healthcare bills? if you can get covered for almost anything for just a lousy $86 a month, then pay it. your life and wellbeing is worth WAY more than $86 a month.

do you know why so many people in the UK pay for home insurance but pretty much no one ever uses it and therefore is a waste of money? because there's always the "what if i arrive home today and find everything is gone". even if you paid for 50+ years and nothing happened until that ONE day... having that insurance is still worth it for that ONE day of your life when you need it the most.

if you get into a major accident and are almost dead or cut in pieces, or get a life threatening illness you will be kicking yourself in the teeth that you didn't have insurance. stop thinking about it as a waste of money. you're insuring your life. pay it. end of story.

First thing off the bat. Our job issue is garbage right now. Imagine being in debt from college and unable to get work because you don't have "experience" for the job you worked hard to get a degree for and on top of that have to deal with companies not wanting to hire because they have to deal with the fact they have to offer their employees insurance as mandatory. Now personally I believe most of them use that as an excuse because their money hungry S.O.B's, but there are those in which it is a general issue. Now you tell me how having to pay more money into something I don't need while having debt from college and a not-all-too great of a job is a good thing?

The problem is not the benefits of having insurance but the actions they take to forcing you to have it. If I want it I'll get it. Currently I'm fit as a horse and I don't go anywhere, literally. 

I drive to work (Total of 10 minute straight shot down the road) and majority of the time aside from the one day I go to get groceries from a store 2 minutes from my house, I'm at home. At this point in my life I don't need health insurance.

Now when I see it fit that I need it, I would have gotten it, but that choice was forced on me in an "you'll get insurance or we'll keep taking more and more of your money" approach. I'm supposed to be ok with that?

Had the focus of our president been on jobs first and then health insurance, it wouldn't be an issue. Your perspective of the situation is not true to my reality of the situation that I'm going through.

Well, let's play nice here.

Let bygones be bygones pass this point.

A mod was nice enough to move this thread, and not just lock it.

Let's not give them a reason.

Alexander452 likes this

Well, let's play nice here.

Let bygones be bygones pass this point.

A mod was nice enough to move this thread, and not just lock it.

Let's not give them a reason.

Its a civil debate. The only time it gets ridiculous is when people start cursing at each other and throwing out names instead of making points.

Living in the wealthiest country doesn't mean one's wealthy, fridge.

sorry but if you read the post you would have seen i was in no way implying that.

i wasn't having any argument or uncivil debate with the OP. i was just saying why i think they should pay for the insurance.

You know, I had that attitude once, but then my sister's finger was smashed with a hammer while holding in a fence post for someone else.  And then my mother was in a car crash that was in no way her fault that luckily only painlessly severed one of the ligaments in her hand, rendering her middle finger useless.  And then father fell off a ladder 8 feet off the ground and almost died but walked away with a broken wrist (he still has bone fragments floating about).  Oh and I probably should mention that I dislocated my shoulder a lot during high school.

Point is you can't predict when you will need health insurance, because you have no idea when your body is going to be in some serious trouble.  It's kinda the same with car insurance: if you own a car, you need car insurance, because sometimes sh*t just happens, even and especially when you are being careful.  Life is like a game of D&D and you never know when you are going to roll a 1.

Insurance is painful, but it's more painful to pay out of pocket for healthcare that is covered by health insurance.

Humorousone likes this

Just reaffirming what demon said.

The money we spend on our healthcare (other than if you have a long term, uncurable condition) goes to sudden and unexpected events.
Things like cancer, and physical accidents are impossible to predict.

What you're doing now is paying for healthcare over time rather than paying for it in a lump sum, and trading off possibly not using it for the ability to claim treatment that would have otherswise been unnaffordable.

While you could just save the money into a pot (which is what many people do), I personally think it's worth that tradeoff.

Also, your odds of having an accident, or developing a serious medical condition are much higher than  2,750,000:1 .

Much, much higher.

sorry but if you read the post you would have seen i was in no way implying that.

That said, I just want the lot of us to not get into trouble with mods, and get this locked.

As far as I know, they have every reason to lock it. Just stating that we should keep it cool.

Ya dig?

That said, I'd pay for it if you could.