• Welcome to the Angry Joe Show Army!

Join our community of gamers passionate about our community and our hobby! Whether it's playing, discussing, or watching games, regardless of platform, genre, or location, we have a place for you, always!

• PS4 Forum

The AJSA Playstation 4 Division: Game Nights and More!

The AJSA is on Playstation 4! Join us for weekly Game Nights with a selection of the best games the PS4 has to offer!

• XBO Forum

The AJSA Xbox One Division: We Got You Covered!

The AJSA Xbox One Division is ready to connect with you on XBox Live with a ton of events for the best Xbox games!

• News Archive

The Best News from the Best Sites, Every Week.

The AJSA News Collection Team is hard at work condensing a week's worth of news into one giant-sze digest for you to chew on and discuss! Links to source articles are always provided!

• More Info

The AJSA Expeditionary Force: Deploying to Play the Best PC Games!

The elite vanguard of the AJSA, the Expeditionary Force (EF) chooses a new PC game every week! Join us for weekly events and help decide if the game has a future in the AJSA.

• The Team

Streaming Now: The AJSA Stream Team

Joe can't stream every game, but our talented AJSA Stream Team covers a wide variety of games and personalities! Check them out, and show them some AJSA Love!

• The Tube

The AJSA Community YouTube Channel

Featuring news, gameplay clips, and more from the community! The Community is a chance to showcase the best moments in AJSA Gaming!

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Traviltar

iRacing??

20 posts in this topic

Just wondering here.. I've made threads about sim racing before and I was just wondering considering iRacing is pretty hardcore and not a lot of people can just pick it up and play it and master it in a few weeks..

Do people in the AJSA actually play iRacing or actual racing sims? (On PC. Gran Turismo and Forza are not sims.)

i would like to hear a brief explanation on why gran turismo is not a racing simulator?

there's a GT academy held every year, for potential brand new drivers to enter FIA Formula 1 teams if they win the academy, and the entry into that academy is proving yourself within Gran Turismo 5/6. how can it not be a simulator?

i would like to hear a brief explanation on why gran turismo is not a racing simulator?

there's a GT academy held every year, for potential brand new drivers to enter FIA Formula 1 teams if they win the academy, and the entry into that academy is proving yourself within Gran Turismo 5/6. how can it not be a simulator?

I agree, that deserves an answer.

Console only!

Does not appease the PC masterrace!

Console only!

Does not appease the PC masterrace!

I know you're making a joke, but I'm genuinely worried the OP is serious.

W

S7-GT-Academy-2013-Jeremy-Bouteloup-dern

A winner of GT Academy using a modified version of rFactor to train. I hope that settles it.

Also, FIA GT3 teams. Specifically the NISMO teams. F1 is a whooole nother league ^^

W

S7-GT-Academy-2013-Jeremy-Bouteloup-dern

A winner of GT Academy using a modified version of rFactor to train. I hope that settles it.

I'm sorry, but what in that picture proves or even indicates a winner of GT Academy using a modified version of rFactor to train? I don't see a GT academy winner, I don't see anyone. All I see is photo of and F1 simulator, not a game of any kind. May as well be me using that thing in that shot and it would be the same. I don't even know why I'm so curious because, deep down, I don't even care that much, but that doesn't change the fact you're gonna have to do better than that.

Even if what you're describing in that shot is true, you're talking about iRacer sims on PC, in what way is using something like that that even remotely close to using a racing simulator like the one in picture? The last time I checked F1 drives don't use a MKB to control there cars. If anything, console controllers,  arcade machines or even Mario Kart on the Wii were closer to reality than that.

I'm sorry, but what in that picture proves or even indicates a winner of GT Academy using a modified version of rFactor to train? I don't see a GT academy winner, I don't see anyone. All I see is photo of and F1 simulator, not a game of any kind. May as well be me using that thing in that shot and it would be the same. I don't even know why I'm so curious because, deep down, I don't even care that much, but that doesn't change the fact you're gonna have to do better than that.

Even if what you're describing in that shot is true, you're talking about iRacer sims on PC, in what way is using something like that that even remotely close to using a racing simulator like the one in picture? The last time I checked F1 drives don't use a MKB to control there cars. If anything, console controllers,  arcade machines or even Mario Kart on the Wii were closer to reality than that.

1: rFactor is public. Anyone can purchase it and modify it freely as they see fit.

2:http://www.caradisiac.com/GT-Academy-2013-Jeremy-Bouteloup-dernier-candidat-Francais-dans-la-course-89173.htm

The  link to the original article (in French, sadly) which proves my point.

3: The HUD of the sector/lap time indicator is the exact same as in rFactor

http://screenshots.en.sftcdn.net/en/scrn/58000/58968/rfactor-17.jpg

4: That is not the cockpit of an F1 car, and that is not an F1 simulator. That is the cockpit of the Nissan Deltawing, which Nissan, the biggest partner of GT Academy has helped develop (I mean, for christs sake it's in the name. "NISSAN GT ACADEMY".)

http://images.pistonheads.com/nimg/25360/NissanDeltaWing03-L.jpg

http://www.drivingscene.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/2012-11-28-13.52.08.jpg

5: Let me tell you a story about Greger Huttu - the Alien. A kid who religiously played Grand Prix Legends by Papyrys, released in 1998. After a while when iRacing was made public, he got the name Alien. You could push him off and wreck him off and he would still catch up. They said "There is no way a human can be that fast!"

So the guys at iRacing thought "Let's put him in a real car."

After a little training in the Skip Barber car, to which Greger said "The sim version is a bit twitchier" they put him in the Formula Star Mazda car, which is essentially the US's equivalent of GP3. He was three seconds a lap slower than the Formula Star Mazda champion. Sadly, he had to stop several times because of the heat and the fact that his body wasn't used to the G-Forces of a Formula car. He even threw up!

Let's put that to perspective.

That. From a guy who has no real racing experience. Hell, at the point they made the document, he didn't even have a drivers license.

Here's the link. Features a lot of real race drivers who say they actually practice on iRacing, because testing is expensive as hell.

I'm not saying it's the exact same. But it is as close as we can get as of 2015.

6: No-one who takes sim-racing seriously uses MKB anymore. We use wheels. I myself use this: http://cdn-d.verkkokauppa.com/images/88/2_164814-350x297.jpeg

Force Feedback is a must.

You seriously didn't bother to research your claims one bit? I mean.. really? Come on, bro. I thought we are smarter than that.

1: rFactor is public. Anyone can purchase it and modify it freely as they see fit.

2:http://www.caradisiac.com/GT-Academy-2013-Jeremy-Bouteloup-dernier-candidat-Francais-dans-la-course-89173.htm

The  link to the original article (in French, sadly) which proves my point.

3: The HUD of the sector/lap time indicator is the exact same as in rFactor

http://screenshots.en.sftcdn.net/en/scrn/58000/58968/rfactor-17.jpg

4: That is not the cockpit of an F1 car, and that is not an F1 simulator. That is the cockpit of the Nissan Deltawing, which Nissan, the biggest partner of GT Academy has helped develop (I mean, for christs sake it's in the name. "NISSAN GT ACADEMY".)

http://images.pistonheads.com/nimg/25360/NissanDeltaWing03-L.jpg

http://www.drivingscene.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/2012-11-28-13.52.08.jpg

5: Let me tell you a story about Greger Huttu - the Alien. A kid who religiously played Grand Prix Legends by Papyrys, released in 1998. After a while when iRacing was made public, he got the name Alien. You could push him off and wreck him off and he would still catch up. They said "There is no way a human can be that fast!"

So the guys at iRacing thought "Let's put him in a real car."

After a little training in the Skip Barber car, to which Greger said "The sim version is a bit twitchier" they put him in the Formula Star Mazda car, which is essentially the US's equivalent of GP3. He was three seconds a lap slower than the Formula Star Mazda champion. Sadly, he had to stop several times because of the heat and the fact that his body wasn't used to the G-Forces of a Formula car. He even threw up!

Let's put that to perspective.

That. From a guy who has no real racing experience. Hell, at the point they made the document, he didn't even have a drivers license.

Here's the link. Features a lot of real race drivers who say they actually practice on iRacing, because testing is expensive as hell.

I'm not saying it's the exact same. But it is as close as we can get as of 2015.

6: No-one who takes sim-racing seriously uses MKB anymore. We use wheels. I myself use this: http://cdn-d.verkkokauppa.com/images/88/2_164814-350x297.jpeg

Force Feedback is a must.

You seriously didn't bother to research your claims one bit? I mean.. really? Come on, bro. I thought we are smarter than that.

First off, I was perfectly well aware that such pedal and wheel controllers existed for both console and PC.

Like I said, I was kinda paralysed from doing that research by not really caring very much. I still insist that first picture you put up showed absolutely nothing. What I've quoted is exactly what you should have done in the first place.

The thing is though, I don't feel like what your talking about here is video games, I feel your talking about head-on-the-chopping-block serious simulators. So, we may as well discuss the graphics on the LCD dashboard of a Nissan GTR because it was done by the same company behind GT. It's the same people utilising the same talent and knowledge for a different purpose.

I suppose then, and I'm in no way speaking for everyone, that the the AJSA don't play "racing simulators" at your level because we play video games.

I suppose then, and I'm in no way speaking for everyone, that the the AJSA don't play "racing simulators" at your level because we play video games.

Well, technically it can and is defined under law as a video game. But I see your point nevertheless.

I mean this is a video game under the category of simulator.

Well, technically it can and is defined under law as a video game. But I see your point nevertheless.

I mean this is a video game under the category of simulator.

Kind of why it, along with Gran Turismo and the like, don't appeal to me. I've always been more a fan of racing games like Burnout (Burnout 3:Takedown, being my absolute favourite), Mario Kart, Extreme G, Wipeout, Rollgage, F-Zero, the upcoming Distance.. oh, you get the picture.

I just don't like playing games confined buy the boundaries of reality, but that's me.

Kind of why it, along with Gran Turismo and the like, don't appeal to me. I've always been more a fan of racing games like Burnout (Burnout 3:Takedown, being my absolute favourite), Mario Kart, Extreme G, Wipeout, Rollgage, F-Zero, the upcoming Distance.. oh, you get the picture.

I just don't like playing games confined buy the boundaries of reality, but that's me.

I get you. Don't get me wrong. I fucking LOVE Mario Kart. Burnout: Paradise was the tits too! I just think it's sort of sad that people seek realism in Gran Turismo and then after sentence after another, a lot of people who believe with a burning passion that if they can win at a Forza 5 pub race, they are indeed masters of motorsports and could totally take on Sebastian Vettel head to head on a track in an F1 car.

There are people who just don't know any better. That these sims, as of now, are as close as we can get, and it just makes me sad to think that there is something better out there. Let me put it to you in terms you understand.

It's kind of like someone saying Halo: CE has the best graphics of all time, therefore is the greatest game of all time, but that certain someone has no idea of anything beyond that. It's not that he doesn't want anything that looks better, it's just that he doesn't know.

And that is why I started this thread. To find out are there people who seek to enter virtual reality. I mean, reality is awesome, but expensive.

I also just want to fake-pretend that one day, maybe, I could have a chance of driving an actual Formula 1 car.

A man's gotta dream, right?

I get you. Don't get me wrong. I fucking LOVE Mario Kart. Burnout: Paradise was the tits too! I just think it's sort of sad that people seek realism in Gran Turismo and then after sentence after another, a lot of people who believe with a burning passion that if they can win at a Forza 5 pub race, they are indeed masters of motorsports and could totally take on Sebastian Vettel head to head on a track in an F1 car.

There are people who just don't know any better. That these sims, as of now, are as close as we can get, and it just makes me sad to think that there is something better out there. Let me put it to you in terms you understand.

It's kind of like someone saying Halo: CE has the best graphics of all time, therefore is the greatest game of all time, but that certain someone has no idea of anything beyond that. It's not that he doesn't want anything that looks better, it's just that he doesn't know.

And that is why I started this thread. To find out are there people who seek to enter virtual reality. I mean, reality is awesome, but expensive.

I also just want to fake-pretend that one day, maybe, I could have a chance of driving an actual Formula 1 car.

A man's gotta dream, right?

I'd like to think that the vast majority of people who are good at racing games wouldn't dare claim to be driving Jesus and challenge Sebastian Vettel to a life or death lap round Spa just because they beat all their friends in Forza. I can't deny, though, the world has it's idiots.

The thing is though, I think thing you've hit the nail on the head.

I've said it before, but all great games, regardless of genre, have one thing in common, what I call "The Empowerment Factor".

And when "A man's gotta dream" a video game that empowers him to achieve some he could never do in real life, like winning the F1 World Championship, can be very powerful.

I just think it's sort of sad that people seek realism in Gran Turismo and then after sentence after another, a lot of people who believe with a burning passion that if they can win at a Forza 5 pub race, they are indeed masters of motorsports and could totally take on Sebastian Vettel head to head on a track in an F1 car.

if people think like that, they are indeed silly, maybe even a bit idiotic. i certainly don't think like that while i am a veteran of GT games, getting gold in every licence test and obliterating every race and everyone i played online with or with friends at home - i just see it as a video game.

but i don't discount the fact that it's a racing game that aims to simulate driving in real life. on GT5 and 6 if you turn off all the gimmicky driver aids, you will find yourself spinning all over the place in some cars... and when you become good enough to hold that car down on the road while still driving at top speeds and winning races... that's when you realise that this isn't just some racing game like need for speed or burnout... it's a simulation.

it simulates driving itself, i.e. how to control a car. of course it's not close to 100% accurate like an actual racing training simulator with seats and the wheel and everything else, but it's the closest kind of racing sim you will get on a console for the home / living room use.

i even know myself that it just is not completely accurate because jeremy clarkson of top gear (the real show, not the spinoffs done in the US or australia) raced laguna seca on the PS2 with GT3 in a honda nsx and attempted to match his lap time in real life, at laguna seca with an identical model of the honda nsx he used in the game.

he simply couldn't do it, no matter how hard he tried, he could never match his GT3 laptime, but it was close at least. there were plenty of moments in his GT3 laps that helped him understand the corners of the track in real life, so it to an extent DOES simulate, but it's not completely accurate to the likes of what you described, or a game like MS flight simulator X that real pilots actually use to train.

Someone else mentioned iRacing, sounds interesting. I've been to LeMans a few times (local indoor go-kart place) where the karts go 40-50 MPH or something like that, and even racing those things for 30 minutes is a workout and puts a tax on your stamina. After all the hours clocked in for GT3, Forza, GT4...etc, I'm not sure any of those games attributed to my spontaneously developed skill on the track. I don't even know if I'd be able to compare a more realistic simulator to actual racing, for me it seems to be about jumping in and doing it because you can't top the actual experience.

Someone else mentioned iRacing, sounds interesting. I've been to LeMans a few times (local indoor go-kart place) where the karts go 40-50 MPH or something like that, and even racing those things for 30 minutes is a workout and puts a tax on your stamina. After all the hours clocked in for GT3, Forza, GT4...etc, I'm not sure any of those games attributed to my spontaneously developed skill on the track. I don't even know if I'd be able to compare a more realistic simulator to actual racing, for me it seems to be about jumping in and doing it because you can't top the actual experience.

Well, it's not like Formula 1 drivers just jump in and get it done. I mean, James Hunt kind of did that, but he was one of the last. And that was in 1979. Trust me, all Formula 1 drivers, according to their personal trainers, go to the gym for at least for 1.5 hours a day and then spend 2 hours in a simulator.

Also, as a dude who played Forza 3, 4, GT3, 4, 5 and even 6 (although only for a little while) I really feel that I did get sort of a headstart to actual sims, in comparison to someone who has only driven a real car on the road. I mean a Gran Turismo veteran could in theory pick up things as they go, if t hey are that sort of "clean driver, takes the right line, etc."

But positional awareness is the first thing that is hard to get right at first. Then it's car control. Then it's both of them at the same time during a race, whilst watching in your rear view mirror, crossing your fingers that the guy behind you doesn't make a mistake under braking, because if he does, you're both out. Doesn't matter at that point who's fault it is.

Let me give you an example what happens when someone without the abilities of car control positional awareness races:

(I am the guy behind him. Note AJSA logo)

Superdirective likes this

Understeered like a mofo, but that is a nice vid and of course you make perfect sense. Subconsciously those games most likely did help but then again they were mere go-karts so nothing compared to real racing. I'm definitely going to have to look into iRacing.

Well, it's not like Formula 1 drivers just jump in and get it done. I mean, James Hunt kind of did that, but he was one of the last. And that was in 1979. Trust me, all Formula 1 drivers, according to their personal trainers, go to the gym for at least for 1.5 hours a day and then spend 2 hours in a simulator.

Also, as a dude who played Forza 3, 4, GT3, 4, 5 and even 6 (although only for a little while) I really feel that I did get sort of a headstart to actual sims, in comparison to someone who has only driven a real car on the road. I mean a Gran Turismo veteran could in theory pick up things as they go, if t hey are that sort of "clean driver, takes the right line, etc."

But positional awareness is the first thing that is hard to get right at first. Then it's car control. Then it's both of them at the same time during a race, whilst watching in your rear view mirror, crossing your fingers that the guy behind you doesn't make a mistake under braking, because if he does, you're both out. Doesn't matter at that point who's fault it is.

Let me give you an example what happens when someone without the abilities of car control positional awareness races:

(I am the guy behind him. Note AJSA logo)

Sims, those old sim days...

See, it's a good thing that these games haven't turned into community pets, because if they did, they wouldn't be the experiences

we had back then or what they are right now... Realism.. Yes, I dig..

Understeered like a mofo, but that is a nice vid and of course you make perfect sense. Subconsciously those games most likely did help but then again they were mere go-karts so nothing compared to real racing. I'm definitely going to have to look into iRacing.

Hell yeah! Hit me up when you get it and I can do some coaching if you feel like it. I'm not the best, but I'd like to consider myself above D-License average.