• Welcome to the Angry Joe Show Army!

Join our community of gamers passionate about our community and our hobby! Whether it's playing, discussing, or watching games, regardless of platform, genre, or location, we have a place for you, always!

• PS4 Forum

The AJSA Playstation 4 Division: Game Nights and More!

The AJSA is on Playstation 4! Join us for weekly Game Nights with a selection of the best games the PS4 has to offer!

• XBO Forum

The AJSA Xbox One Division: We Got You Covered!

The AJSA Xbox One Division is ready to connect with you on XBox Live with a ton of events for the best Xbox games!

• News Archive

The Best News from the Best Sites, Every Week.

The AJSA News Collection Team is hard at work condensing a week's worth of news into one giant-sze digest for you to chew on and discuss! Links to source articles are always provided!

• More Info

The AJSA Expeditionary Force: Deploying to Play the Best PC Games!

The elite vanguard of the AJSA, the Expeditionary Force (EF) chooses a new PC game every week! Join us for weekly events and help decide if the game has a future in the AJSA.

• The Team

Streaming Now: The AJSA Stream Team

Joe can't stream every game, but our talented AJSA Stream Team covers a wide variety of games and personalities! Check them out, and show them some AJSA Love!

• The Tube

The AJSA Community YouTube Channel

Featuring news, gameplay clips, and more from the community! The Community is a chance to showcase the best moments in AJSA Gaming!

DemonsColt

Scarlett Johannson is Major Motoko Kusanagi

33 posts in this topic

scar_jo_plus_ghost_in_shell_1024.0.0.png

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1219827/

http://www.theverge.com/2015/1/5/7494305/scarlett-johansson-ghost-in-the-shell-movie

New Ghost in the Shell is released by DreamWorks.

Directed by that guy who made Snow White and the Huntsman.

"After proving herself as a formidable action lead in the hit Lucy, Scarlett Johansson is ready to tackle DreamWorks' Ghost in the Shell."

-The Hollywood Reporter

Somehow I don't feel like it's gonna succeed. The two cultures (Japanese and USA) are just too different when it comes to film making and the like. Granted, it's Spielberg we're talking about, but still. More often than not, Hollywood adaptations of works that originated in a different culture end up in a huge chaos and clusterfuck.

Somehow I don't feel like it's gonna succeed. The two cultures (Japanese and USA) are just too different when it comes to film making and the like. Granted, it's Spielberg we're talking about, but still. More often than not, Hollywood adaptations of works that originated in a different culture end up in a huge chaos and clusterfuck.

Yeah, Spielberg is producing this. The director is that dude who made this....

Well I am curious to see what can happen with this. It can either go horribly wrong and land Spielberg with millions of death threats from otaku fandom a like or praise so this will be interesting to see.

Yeah, Spielberg is producing this. The director is that dude who made this....

That looks... Terrible. O_O

ugh, bad news guys. I am actually WRONG about Spielberg producing this. His company, DreamWorks is releasing the film, but there is no sign of Spielberg producing the film personally, just making sure the film gets released.

producing and directing are 2 very different things.

Spielberg directed jurassic park, arguably one of the best movies he's ever directed along with ET, but, he didn't produce any of jurassic park. he did however co-produce ET.

fact remains, even if spielberg was the producer of this movie, which we know now he is not - but if he was, direction is what really makes the movie final. you could have the best filmcrew ever, with spielberg as producer, but he still is not directing - which means the movie's final outcome would be far different to what it would have been if he was directing.

DemonsColt likes this

Remember, Steven Spielberg produced ALL of Michael Bay's Transformers films.

Well, executive produced.

batou.jpg

No.

I have no faith in Hollywood making taking anything from Japan or otherwise and making it good, they have a negative track record with doing so...(mainly in the horror movie genre.)

I have no faith in Hollywood making taking anything from Japan or otherwise and making it good, they have a negative track record with doing so...(mainly in the horror movie genre.)

I have to say, the latest Godzilla movie and Edge of Tomorrow were fantastic.

I have to say, the latest Godzilla movie and Edge of Tomorrow were fantastic.

Godzilla was directed by Gareth Edwards, a GOOD director that directed Monsters, which was also a wonderful movie.

Edge of Tomorrow was directed by Doug Liman, the guy who directed The Bourne Identity, also a good movie.

This is made by a guy who ONLY directed Snow White and the Huntsman, excluding the short films of course.

Movies of this kind normally end up being plain and average. However, as I love both of the Ghost in the Shell movies (I haven't seen any of the TV series though) I do have hope that the movie won't suck. Plus, if recent movies such as Godzilla and Edge of Tomo... oh, sorry, I mean "Live. Die. Repeat." are anything to go by, maybe this movie won't suck.

Movies of this kind normally end up being plain and average. However, as I love both of the Ghost in the Shell movies (I haven't seen any of the TV series though) I do have hope that the movie won't suck. Plus, if recent movies such as Godzilla and Edge of Tomo... oh, sorry, I mean "Live. Die. Repeat." are anything to go by, maybe this movie won't suck.

Well, as long as the movie isn't too bombastic, but is actually somewhat more grounded and focused on the detective work, then I reckon it can work. But seeing as how every director and producer these days wants to use Johannson for action flicks, I highly doubt that will happen. I guess we'll wait and see.

Does not compute.

Does.... NOT... Compu- *fzzzkt*

K0CVAmV.gif

Plus, if recent movies such as Godzilla and Edge of Tomo... oh, sorry, I mean "Live. Die. Repeat." are anything to go by, maybe this movie won't suck.

Godzilla was directed by Gareth Edwards, a GOOD director that directed Monsters, which was also a wonderful movie.

Edge of Tomorrow was directed by Doug Liman, the guy who directed The Bourne Identity, also a good movie.

This is made by a guy who ONLY directed Snow White and the Huntsman, excluding the short films of course.

Scarlett Johannson being Major Motoko Kusanagi isn't my issue with it. For that I think she'd be a great fit. What worries me is the same reason that seems to worry DemonsColt.

That's worrying me. I know it's not fair to judge a director on one movie, or even their first. But man I gotta say it's still not a good idea. Even know Steven Spielberg is producing it (I know that means he wont be involve, but his name does carry weight) I am still scared. But hey if it turns out to be shit, can always disown it like the other shitty movie adaptions. Like Dragon Ball Evolution and Avatar The Last Airbender movies, man those were bad.

DemonsColt likes this

Scarlett Johannson being Major Motoko Kusanagi isn't my issue with it. For that I think she'd be a great fit. What worries me is the same reason that seems to worry DemonsColt.

That's worrying me. I know it's not fair to judge a director on one movie, or even their first. But man I gotta say it's still not a good idea. Even know Steven Spielberg is producing it (I know that means he wont be involve, but his name does carry weight) I am still scared. But hey if it turns out to be shit, can always disown it like the other shitty movie adaptions. Like Dragon Ball Evolution and Avatar The Last Airbender movies, man those were bad.

Yeh, Spielberg is not producing it. His company, DreamWorks, is releasing the movie. Spielberg is, in no way, personally producing the film. If he does get a producing title, it's most likely for Executive producer, and all that means is making sure the film doesn't go overbudget.

WITHASTICK likes this

Yeh, Spielberg is not producing it. His company, DreamWorks, is releasing the movie. Spielberg is, in no way, personally producing the film. If he does get a producing title, it's most likely for Executive producer, and all that means is making sure the film doesn't go overbudget.

Correct I am sorry I misread. But again it comes back to, sure DreamWorks can carry weight. But They don't make the movie, is what I am getting at. This current Director sign on for Ghost in a Shell, worries me.

But hey if it turns out to be shit, can always disown it like the other shitty movie adaptions. Like Dragon Ball Evolution and Avatar The Last Airbender movies, man those were bad.

Those movies... changed me...

DemonsColt likes this

Those movies... changed me...

And the Last Airbender was from someone who USED to be good. :(

AverageSpacePope and Sol Omega like this

Certainly, those movies must be better than the live action Guyver or Fist of the North Star movies.

Surely.