• Welcome to the Angry Joe Show Army!

Join our community of gamers passionate about our community and our hobby! Whether it's playing, discussing, or watching games, regardless of platform, genre, or location, we have a place for you, always!

• PS4 Forum

The AJSA Playstation 4 Division: Game Nights and More!

The AJSA is on Playstation 4! Join us for weekly Game Nights with a selection of the best games the PS4 has to offer!

• XBO Forum

The AJSA Xbox One Division: We Got You Covered!

The AJSA Xbox One Division is ready to connect with you on XBox Live with a ton of events for the best Xbox games!

• News Archive

The Best News from the Best Sites, Every Week.

The AJSA News Collection Team is hard at work condensing a week's worth of news into one giant-sze digest for you to chew on and discuss! Links to source articles are always provided!

• More Info

The AJSA Expeditionary Force: Deploying to Play the Best PC Games!

The elite vanguard of the AJSA, the Expeditionary Force (EF) chooses a new PC game every week! Join us for weekly events and help decide if the game has a future in the AJSA.

• The Team

Streaming Now: The AJSA Stream Team

Joe can't stream every game, but our talented AJSA Stream Team covers a wide variety of games and personalities! Check them out, and show them some AJSA Love!

• The Tube

The AJSA Community YouTube Channel

Featuring news, gameplay clips, and more from the community! The Community is a chance to showcase the best moments in AJSA Gaming!

Traviltar

Intel, y u do dis :'( (How to do workplace diversity the wrong way)

37 posts in this topic

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/139336-Intel-Announces-Diversity-in-Technology-Initiative-at-CES

So Intel just announced that they will be focused on hiring women and minorities because they want equality and diversity in the workplace.  "Intel will use the $300 million to fund scholarships for women and minorities in technology and to support majority black colleges and higher education institutions"

So, let's imagine an unavoidable situation: Intel would pass on a white male in order to hire a less-qualified African-American woman. Why? Based on skin color and gender. Their goal is to "get black women full representation within five years from now in executive/senior official or manager positions".

I am at a loss of words. I mean, is this what we have come to? Being politically correct for the sake of being politically correct? This way of thinking has now infected a major name in Silicon Valley. What happens when it spreads to different companies as well? I brought this up because I see that the tech industry and the gaming industry have very close relationships. So if I wanted to work in the technology field, I very real fear would come up, that whatever my qualifications and/or skills are, I would not be hired because I have lower levels of melanin in my skin cells and the fact that I have a Y-chromosome instead of a pair of to X's.

You know, my 9th grade history teacher had a saying. "Everyone is equal, but some people are more equal than others."

How long until this spreads into the game industry? Or has it already?

(Note: Not a #GG article, even though there is an indirect mention of it in the article.)

"we want to be very clear: Intel believes men and women should be treated the same..."

"Mm, would you smell that? Smells like deep fried hypocrisy fresh off the fryer... Ooh, with a side of irony!"

Puntosmx likes this

This is quite a loaded OP.... And I hope the scenarios that you presented don't happen. Reverse -isms are still -isms.

That said...

They want to spend 300 mil on increasing diversity in their tech industry and making opportunities for more people? Awesome!

Personally. I just don't want Intel partnering with femfreq or IDGA for many reasons.

Puntosmx likes this

Well I understand your feelings OP but we have to start somewhere? and maybe in the future it will be 40-60 50-50 who knows maybe the woman will take over the game industry. Sure this way is not the correct way it's kinda the same like the police black/white situation looks like. But if they can make more jobs+this then everyone is happy I suppose.

The idea that diversity is desirable per-se, needs to go, right now, it's irrational. Rather, if your team is diverse, it should be by accident.

Announcing that you discriminate based on genitals and skin color should generate ire, not praise.

The idea that diversity is desirable per-se, needs to go, right now, it's irrational. Rather, if your team is diverse, it should be by accident.

Announcing that you discriminate based on genitals and skin color should generate ire, not praise.

Darth Sidious is right. The very issue is desiring diversity. Why perpetuate an issue that has slowly been leaving our society? It seems this was a misstep and should be rescinded. Why should I, a white male, be considered less than anyone else? I have never treated someone as less than equal. If I am passed over for the color of my skin and/or the gender I was born as then that in itself is racism and sexism. Isn't that the very issue many want to end? Where is the equality?

Recoveryanonymous, Sol Omega and like this

While I can agree with some points I notice they will be giving scholarships so that more people will be able to study in the tech industry, and while yes they will focus more on women and ethnicities other than caucasian or so it seems. I am open to the idea of more people in the tech industry in general, men or women, white or other such skin color. We are after all all human beings regardless of gender or skin color. It is also true that many tech paths are expensive (trying to pay my way myself currently) I am for anyone and everyone being involved. I do not care why they do such things or who they focus their scholarships on, if they go into the tech industry and they are educated at the end as one would assume from a scholarship then who cares what skin color or gender they are?

Diversity while I would prefer happen more by chance or accident, and in some ways shouldn't be a concept in peoples minds. (Because as I said we are all human no matter how people want to divide us into skin color and gender groups) I welcome anyone into the industry, doesn't matter to me who they are or how they get there, as long as they know their shit.

Sol Omega, Puntosmx and like this

Frankly I think this already happens more often than you think, just not announced publicly with as large sums of money. Not that I'm saying it's a good or bad thing. I live in Canada, and I'm white, so I'm well aware that I don't receive the bad end of discrimination very much at all compared to how some other people receive it...However I am keenly aware of certain areas that feel the need to cater to the "non-majority", which annoys me to no end. INTENTIONAL discrimination is stupid, even if its purpose is diversity, and it really blows when you're a NON racist/sexist white dude who stands up for minorities being discriminated against by OTHER minorities for being that spoiled-privileged guy. Again, it doesn't happen as often, and when it does, it most certainly isn't as severe a case as most discrimination, but it is annoying for sure.

Personally I think it was common sense, and I scoff at how people felt it was profound just because that popular black actor said so (I know his name, just a brain fart atm, really popular actor often playing drama roles or as the president). But one time someone asked him what he thought of some kind of "national black day" or something, and he was like "that's stupid"....This is stupid in a similar fashion imo.

Puntosmx and Sol Omega like this

Well, I suppose you can expect Intel products to randomly stop working properly once a month and occasionally make no sense to you as to why it doesn't want to work like it's supposed to.

Zipper, Sol Omega and LaserBunny like this

Well, I suppose you can expect Intel products to randomly stop working properly once a month and occasionally make no sense to you as to why it doesn't want to work like it's supposed to.

Emphase and Recoveryanonymous like this

One cannot simply say "I invest X into this cause" without knowing it's cause and how to solve the problem.

"Oh no! My PS stopped working! Let me throw cash at it and hope the problem goes away!"

Plus, if this means more females like Zoe Quinn and Anita Sarkeesian join the tech, NO THANK -FKING- YOU!

Yeah I don't really sympathise with White Males complaining about other people getting a helping hand.

Sorry.

Yeah I don't really sympathise with White Males complaining about other people getting a helping hand.

Sorry.

Sorry.

What if it was asian males?

Btw how do you know they are white males?

What if it was asian males?

Btw how do you know they are white males?

Exactly! Even I consider myself as a multisexual black vegetarian cannibal tomato with triggers to words like "cabbages" and "Pluto".

#PlutoIsDankAsShitYo

I'm certainly all for equality in science and tech.

But in my perspective that isn't achieved by forcing a certain % of the members being of a certain sex, race, creed, or whatever.

Equality doesn't mean hiring underqualified people to fill a certain quota, it means hiring people for their performance and not for their "group affiliations". It means promoting those who make progress, instead of those who comply with a particular image or background over others.

If Intel wants to have more capable females on their rooster, why not grant some scholarships for females on IT careers? It would allow more skilled women, who might have the inclination but not necessarily the resources, to study and acquire the skills that Intel might be interested in hiring them for.

Those scholarships could even come with a guaranteed hiring if they mantain a minimum GPA, fasttracking them into work and effectively moving employee diversity to accomplish that quota without having to set a numeric goal for it.

Zipper and Recoveryanonymous like this

Sorry.

"I am of course all for equality. Except if you're a white dude." is what I got of that.
LaserBunny and like this

Sorry.

I'm all for having people get a helping hand.

Scholarships.

Internships.

Parttime work to get their feet wet.

Hardware loans for them to begin early development.

Free access to tech journals.

Contacts with seniors at R&D to consult for their schoolwork.

Research support for schoolwork and thesis.

Fasttrack into certain positions.

Financing graduate studies and degrees.

But enforcing a certain ammount of whatever risks those being underqualified.

Hiring someone for their sex or skin color is as bad as not hiring them for those same reasons.

Sorry.

Kinda racist to put all white races under "white".

"I am of course all for equality. Except if you're a white dude." is what I got of that. 

Then you got wrong.

I'm simply saying that if you are a White Male as I am then you do not face the same challenges that women and ethnic minorities do.

It's been proved over and over that employers have a tendency to hire those from their own cultural and socio political back ground because that's how they feel most comfortable. (In most cases this is subconscious) 

The fact is that European Caucasian men are still the most privileged group of people on the planet. There is literally no glass ceiling for us if we work hard enough. You say I don't believe in Equality for white dudes? We're already on the top of the hill. I just don't like it when people stamp on the fingers of those trying to move on up.

Puntosmx likes this

It's been proved over and over that employers have a tendency to hire those from their own cultural and socio political back ground because that's how they feel most comfortable.

So it's not a race thing.

So, diversity can mean Russian, German, French, etc. It doesn't have to be black or asian. It's really ignorant for people to say "Well that's an all white cast! It needs more diversity!". You people forget their nationality and pick on their race. What if this "all white cast" has a white from africa, a white from europe and a white from US? Is it still not 'diverse' enough?

The fact is that European Caucasian men are still the most privileged group of people on the planet. There is literally no glass ceiling for us if we work hard enough. You say I don't believe in Equality for white dudes? We're already on the top of the hill. I just don't like it when people stamp on the fingers of those trying to move on up.

BZZT! Wrong.

There is 'literary' no glass ceiling for white men? Do you think that all white men live in golden palaces and have 3 servants at their command, don't you? In our economy, everyone has to work hard to get where they want. Nobody throws money at white people. Those white individuals worked to get where they are. Nobody put them there.

As you said earlier, people are of different nationality and speak different language. A finish company isn't gonna hire an iranian guy who barely speaks finish in a workplace where everybody speaks finish. Not everyone in Europe speaks english, you know? How can a guy do his work efficiently when they can't understand the task they are given?

And they don't HAVE to hire anyone. If people want to work, what stops them from working in their own country? Why do we have to merge the entire globe into one continent? Why do people have this butchered idea of multiculturalism?

Reading some of the later posts makes me think that that's how you'll be talking with your pc when it refuses to work with you. As in, it's less about the topic at hand right now and more about just random arguing because changing topics is so manly!

There is 'literary' no glass ceiling for white men? Do you think that all white men live in golden palaces and have 3 servants at their command, don't you? In our economy, everyone has to work hard to get where they want. Nobody throws money at white people. Those white individuals worked to get where they are. Nobody put them there.

Okay so I don't think you know what the term "Glass Ceiling" means and also haven't picked up that I am a white guy. 

If there are gold palaces and servants goin' round I want some of that.

He superstitiously believes in the mystical and elusive "White Privilege". 

Okay so I don't think you know what the term "Glass Ceiling" means and also haven't picked up that I am a white guy. 

If there are gold palaces and servants goin' round I want some of that.

My point was, not every white guy is rich.

Whites will experience the same 'glass ceiling' if they try to work in other countries outside their own.

The only way we can prevent that is by merging all cultures, habits, languages, traditions into one clusterfuck.