• Welcome to the Angry Joe Show Army!

Join our community of gamers passionate about our community and our hobby! Whether it's playing, discussing, or watching games, regardless of platform, genre, or location, we have a place for you, always!

• PS4 Forum

The AJSA Playstation 4 Division: Game Nights and More!

The AJSA is on Playstation 4! Join us for weekly Game Nights with a selection of the best games the PS4 has to offer!

• XBO Forum

The AJSA Xbox One Division: We Got You Covered!

The AJSA Xbox One Division is ready to connect with you on XBox Live with a ton of events for the best Xbox games!

• News Archive

The Best News from the Best Sites, Every Week.

The AJSA News Collection Team is hard at work condensing a week's worth of news into one giant-sze digest for you to chew on and discuss! Links to source articles are always provided!

• More Info

The AJSA Expeditionary Force: Deploying to Play the Best PC Games!

The elite vanguard of the AJSA, the Expeditionary Force (EF) chooses a new PC game every week! Join us for weekly events and help decide if the game has a future in the AJSA.

• The Team

Streaming Now: The AJSA Stream Team

Joe can't stream every game, but our talented AJSA Stream Team covers a wide variety of games and personalities! Check them out, and show them some AJSA Love!

• The Tube

The AJSA Community YouTube Channel

Featuring news, gameplay clips, and more from the community! The Community is a chance to showcase the best moments in AJSA Gaming!

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Will the price of Windows 7 go down when it loses mainstream support?

5 posts in this topic

I need an OS for my build. Thing is, I don't want to pay $100 for Windows 8.1 if Windows 7 may be cheaper.

If you haven't heard, Windows 7 is losing mainstream support on January 13th. I was wondering if the price of Windows 7 will will go down after it loses mainstream support.

Any help you can give is appreciated.  :wub: 

This is microsoft we are talking about here, so really I have no idea. It might, it would make sense that it would. Granted windows 7 losing support is more or less microsoft forcing you to buy windows 8, if you want updates and what windows 7 restricts you from.

Time to learn linux! Amirite? Ah when all games being compatible with linux is a thing I'll be right.

and Orpo like this

Time to learn linux! Amirite? Ah when all games being compatible with linux is a thing I'll be right.

GOG is working on it :wub:

I dare say that it is likely the price will drop, but as Fluffy said, Win7 losing support is essentially Microsoft's attempt at forcing you to purchase Win8. Or you can search for that XP installation disc you have lying around somewhere and save dosh.

mainstream support doesn't mean anything. extended support is when you should consider leaving a perfectly stable and reliable OS to a newer one. the extended support end date for windows 7 is 14/01/2020, we have another 5 years of windows 7 essential and critical updates coming.

xp lost it's mainstream support way before it's extended support, which was 14/01/2014, but that didn't stop businesses around the world using xp as their main desktop / client operating systems.

it didn't stop gamers flocking over to vista, or even windows 7, plenty of people still to this day use XP more than windows 7. 7 has the second largest windows install base globally, and xp still is on top.

plus, windows 9 is coming out. i would completely ignore windows 8.1, just stick to 7 on the extended support lifecycle up until 2020 and then use windows 9 while it would still be in mainstream support and of course, probably have an extended lifecycle close to 2030.

on the price side of things, windows 7 will of course be cheaper than 8.1, but due to the popularity of it and increasingly more people moving from xp / vista to 7 still, the price will still be close to £90-100 for an OEM or retail copy of win7. win 8.1 will be more expensive than that, but i would still use win7 over 8.1. win 8 has had a bumpy start and has proven itself to provide nothing practically more beneficial than the way win 7 already works. win 8.1 is almost identical to 7 in the way the file system works and how it utilises memory and your other hardware. it's basically microsoft's new Vista, the OS that no one likes or cares about.

the next windows 7, the one that's actually beneficial in terms of it's compatibility, use of hardware and processing power, is more likely to be windows 9. windows 8.1 is the new "shit" OS to buy. vista was the old one. windows 7 is the "new" xp.

Orpo, Eiousx and zawisz like this