• Welcome to the Angry Joe Show Army!

Join our community of gamers passionate about our community and our hobby! Whether it's playing, discussing, or watching games, regardless of platform, genre, or location, we have a place for you, always!

• PS4 Forum

The AJSA Playstation 4 Division: Game Nights and More!

The AJSA is on Playstation 4! Join us for weekly Game Nights with a selection of the best games the PS4 has to offer!

• XBO Forum

The AJSA Xbox One Division: We Got You Covered!

The AJSA Xbox One Division is ready to connect with you on XBox Live with a ton of events for the best Xbox games!

• News Archive

The Best News from the Best Sites, Every Week.

The AJSA News Collection Team is hard at work condensing a week's worth of news into one giant-sze digest for you to chew on and discuss! Links to source articles are always provided!

• More Info

The AJSA Expeditionary Force: Deploying to Play the Best PC Games!

The elite vanguard of the AJSA, the Expeditionary Force (EF) chooses a new PC game every week! Join us for weekly events and help decide if the game has a future in the AJSA.

• The Team

Streaming Now: The AJSA Stream Team

Joe can't stream every game, but our talented AJSA Stream Team covers a wide variety of games and personalities! Check them out, and show them some AJSA Love!

• The Tube

The AJSA Community YouTube Channel

Featuring news, gameplay clips, and more from the community! The Community is a chance to showcase the best moments in AJSA Gaming!

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Zipper

The Controversial "Shovel Knight is Overrated" thread

14 posts in this topic

Hello. 

Before you raise your torches and pitchforks, and load your flame riffles with insults, I must prevent you that I have a anti flame shield.

*Oof!

*Raises Flame Shield*

SHOVEL KNIGHT IS OVERRATED!

I know that your first thought in your mind is "But SK was a great game, yadayada". Yes, it was a great game and deserves praise. It combines the elements of classic NES games, and it does it right. I did enjoy the game though, but it didn't do anything special, besides imitating the NES games, I consider it has nothing to be remembered by. If a game's main quality is imitating a NES game, it's not that special in a time when every other games try to imitate NES games or graphics, one way or another.

And I am a platformer fan. I enjoyed the classic Nintendo games, such as the Mario Series, Metroid Series and Duck Tales, as well as modern titles like Super Meat Boy, Guacamelee, the Rayman Series, Trine, etc. But . I simply didn't feel that this one does anything different than any other classic NES games. It does a great work imitating them, but just doesn't provide any new mechanics or anything to be remembered by for me. It's just another indie platformer to me.

For starters, nothing it does do anything new. It doesn't have a new and unique mechanic to be remembered by. The mechanics based around the shovel simply aren't exciting enough and most of the mechanics have been seen before. And the spells aren't something that hasn't seen before either. I'm pretty sure every spell appears in another NES game one way or another. It greatly borrows from other titles and, while it puts it all together well, it just doesn't provide anything new to me. There's nothing for me to say "Ah! Shovel Knight! It will be remembered because of x". 

As for graphics, I've seen 2D graphics and pixel graphics used in other games. Shovel Knight has no unique boss designs, stages or general aesthetics IMO. After seeing better use of pixelated graphics in games like Risk of Rain and Super Meat Boy, all I have to say is: not impressed. As for sounds, there's only so much you can do with NES sounds.

While it may be the best put together platformer game of 2014, but I can name better platformers of 2014...

If you didn't like it man, you didn't like it. I commend ya for saying it in an open space like this and honestly as long as you stick to your guns on it no one should have that much of a problem with this...maybe...possibly...who knows?

Personally it just doesnt look all that interesting to me simply cuz its a platformer. Aside from metroidvania clones, or platformers with a deeper combat system... Or just plain weird ones like zelda 2, i just ignore all platformers cuz there were too darn many back in the days and i got tired of em.

I imagine you feel it is overrated because you afe at least PARTIALLY disinterested in the genre like i am more severely disinterested.

Modern 2D platformers don't really interest me either.

Everybody is free to have their own opinion (SK is my personal game of the year xD) ;)

Of course it's overrated.

It's an 11 out of 10.

I think its because it blends everything together in a very superb way, and to top it off, it's an indie game... which is why it's getting all this praise.

That, and the charm of... well... a shovel knight. And it plays smoothly and has tight controls.

Oh and it's not even completed yet, the (free) DLC addons and campaigns are in the works, and I do look forward to them.

I firmly believe it deserves the praise it's been getting, considering of all the 2D platformers as of late; Shovel Knight strikes (the earth) me as the best of that bunch.

I have no complaints. Well, not explaining a couple story things and one little issue with the final boss, but whatever. Those are abysmally minor.

Haters are gonna hate. It may not be original, but it is creative and fun, which makes it to be excellent and fantastic. Which it is.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, I never played it so I cannot judge but it does remind me of games from when I was a kid. So just looking it has nostalgia value for me.

I don't think you can really blame a game that imitates old NES games on "not doing anything special". Isn't that the point? NES was limited man, and it's sorta 'bout those forced limitations that makes the game nostalgic. Otherwise it'd just be a regular game, not a retro game.

Some people yearn for the 1980s. I'm not one of those people, but hey, you're free to hate on it if you want.

You're absolutely right.

PEOPLE OF THE INTERNET!!! DON'T BUY SHOVEL KNIGHT!!! IT SUCKS!!! INSTEAD, BUY ALL OF DAVID CAGE'S GAMES!!! THEY ARE VERY EMOTIONAL AND POLYGONAL, AND YOU WON'T REGRET IT!!!

You're absolutely right.

PEOPLE OF THE INTERNET!!! DON'T BUY SHOVEL KNIGHT!!! IT SUCKS!!! INSTEAD, BUY ALL OF DAVID CAGE'S GAMES!!! THEY ARE VERY EMOTIONAL AND POLYGONAL, AND YOU WON'T REGRET IT!!!

It's almost like... you're David Cage trying to product push his own games... but not...

Oh well. People should try out Heavy Rain.

nickyzhere likes this

Hmm your opinion...

Well fuck you for having one am I right or what.

YEAH! FUCK YOU! FUCK ME! FUCK THE OP! FUCK EVERYONE!

ALL Y'ALL PEOPLE WITH OPINIONS CAN GET FUCKED!

Definition of overrated and underrated. Overrated: if someone doesn't like something a vast "majority" does, they'll call it overrated. If someone likes something that most people don't, they'll call it underrated. In conclusion, "overrated and underrated" are the shittiest arguments to decide if something is of good quality. (I just had to say it -_- )

Twisted Chi likes this

Definition of overrated and underrated. Overrated: if someone doesn't like something a vast "majority" does, they'll call it overrated. If someone likes something that most people don't, they'll call it underrated. In conclusion, "overrated and underrated" are the shittiest arguments to decide if something is of good quality. (I just had to say it -_- )

I like arguing in a civil intelligent way, treat this as such, not as me trying to be annoying or meddlesome...But I disagree.

You see, I think your definition is only applicable to people who lack the ability to be objective about something, it assumes someone doesn't know how to determine the difference between general value and personal value, regardless of general appreciation. I'll give some examples.

I love the Ys series, and it doesn't have a fanbase proportionate to how high a quality a series I think it is, with quality music, gameplay, replay value, style, etc...However I AM able to say there are games I love, that many people do not, that I do NOT neccesarily think are under rated. Examples include: Mushihimesama-futari, Etrian odyssey, fortune summoners, etc. These games don't have anything blatantly bad to make their "lower" rating justified, but they all kind of...they aren't really the kind of games I see most people enjoy, so I understand they don't have as large a fanbase...I don't think they're underrated even though I think they are all way better than many other popular games.

Similarly, I don't like Bioshock, it's just not fun to me...But I don't say it's overrated... It's got production value up the wazoo, it's a solid shooter...it deserves its praise... I don't like it though.

I also like zelda, great series, but...kinda overrated. The story, graphics, music, etc are all fair but none of them really stuck out to me, and the gameplay is far too easy most of the time, frankly its' a darn sin that zelda is as popular as it is, and Ys isn't! Which is superior in nearly every way IMO