• Welcome to the Angry Joe Show Army!

Join our community of gamers passionate about our community and our hobby! Whether it's playing, discussing, or watching games, regardless of platform, genre, or location, we have a place for you, always!

• PS4 Forum

The AJSA Playstation 4 Division: Game Nights and More!

The AJSA is on Playstation 4! Join us for weekly Game Nights with a selection of the best games the PS4 has to offer!

• XBO Forum

The AJSA Xbox One Division: We Got You Covered!

The AJSA Xbox One Division is ready to connect with you on XBox Live with a ton of events for the best Xbox games!

• News Archive

The Best News from the Best Sites, Every Week.

The AJSA News Collection Team is hard at work condensing a week's worth of news into one giant-sze digest for you to chew on and discuss! Links to source articles are always provided!

• More Info

The AJSA Expeditionary Force: Deploying to Play the Best PC Games!

The elite vanguard of the AJSA, the Expeditionary Force (EF) chooses a new PC game every week! Join us for weekly events and help decide if the game has a future in the AJSA.

• The Team

Streaming Now: The AJSA Stream Team

Joe can't stream every game, but our talented AJSA Stream Team covers a wide variety of games and personalities! Check them out, and show them some AJSA Love!

• The Tube

The AJSA Community YouTube Channel

Featuring news, gameplay clips, and more from the community! The Community is a chance to showcase the best moments in AJSA Gaming!

ThE_MarD

If Samsung were to buy out AMD - your thoughts?

14 posts in this topic

Heyyo,

So here's the editorial opinion that I'm talking about:

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/samsung-amd-win-win-acquisition,28403.html

It's an interesting proposition... but at the same time? I don't think it would fly as they are both major companies and it could be viewed as too large of a monopoly and they could be forced to split them up... then again? It could also mean AMD getting the R&D it needs to revamp their CPUs to level out the playing field with Intel and then they wouldn't need to discount their CPUs so heavily and be able to maintain better profit margins.

What do you guys think? I know AMD isn't doing the best financially, but I think they can bounce back from their current state once this recession ends (and by recession I mean what's happening with the price of oil.. larger companies like Schlumberger already announced 9000 layoffs and Target is shutting down all their Canadian stores and Radio Shack is filing for bankruptcy).

AMD is also on the verge of releasing the R300 series which should make the GPU market even more interesting as NVIDIA is also slated to release a few more GPUs in the Maxwell series... damn, if I had a bunch of extra cash? I'd start considering selling off my GTX 680s and buy an epic Maxwell or R300 card...

Puntosmx likes this

Well, Samsung has the money and the foundry, and AMD has the processors and patents.

I don't see it happening, unless something goes fubar with AMD, like the R300 turning out to be expensive paperweights.

But if it happened, it would make Samsung a major player in all tech fronts.

Interesting times indeed.

ThE_MarD likes this

I would give AMD another shot.

...also, holy shit, HDD/SSD, CPU, Video Cards.

:o

ThE_MarD and Puntosmx like this

Heyyo,

Yeah it would make quite the company indeed since Samsung even make laptops... AMD would go from CPU/APUs, RAM and SSD's to the whole PC lol.

Also, it could lead to better smartphone SoC's since right meow NVIDIA's Tegra X1 will probably be untouchable since Qualcomm can't even touch it yet since they don't have the same GPU R&D that NVIDIA has.

It does make you wonder too though... ever since Intel blocked NVIDIA from licensing the x86 architecture? I wonder what could have been with the NVIDIA Tegra X1 if they were allowed to make it with an x86 quad core CPU... the thing runs Unreal Engine 4's Elemental demo without issue on ARM which is mind blowingly awesome... but on x86 it could probably play a crapton of games without issue much like AMD's APU.

Puntosmx likes this

i would find that not-so-hilarious and very ironic <_<

id also be a bit worried about the steps the conglomerate would take in the future considering Samsung's monitors are really not my cup of tea (luminosity vs coloring ratio is fucking exaggerated, even when turning luminosity down, it hurts eyes unlike my Asus monitor) and i dont like what Samsung did with their SSDs where they faked performance of their reference-products to sell more

but most importantly, their televisions... EEEW!!!

yeh, i think AMD is doing just fine right now and i would get quite a bit worried about it all, i might actually switch to Intel and NVIDIA just because of that

I am not fan of amd achitecture. I find the  8 core sorta boulshit since no applications even supports 8core.   Amd must have 8 core to compete against a I7 quad core.  Amd are manifacture pre overclock at 4ghz while intel are 3.6ghz(depending which intel cpu you have). if samsung buys  amd out I wont be pleased. They make cheap cpu and gpu for low budget people. I rather spend the extra 200-400$ on a intel build.

The multiple cores help not for single processes, but for multitasking.

Maybe my tendency to have half a dozen programs running on background are why AMD works nicely for me ^_^

Honestly, I prefer AMD and ATI over NVIDIA and Intel, so the more support they get, the better it is for them.

Also, if Samsung gets into talks...might want to look at buying AMD stock; right now it's about $3 USD a share ;)

Samsung will not be that stupid. It just doesn't make sense. Try do a research on Samsung and know what they can produce. Samsung is not a low tech company and they definite don't need a sinking ship like AMD. It is the AMD fanboys also realise how their favorite company is sinking and dream to have someone to save it. AMD will bring almost nothing to the Samsung. Samsung know how to make silicon chips (CPU, GPU...), RAM, harddisk, SSD,LCD, semiconductor, computer, TV, phone, paper, chemical, car, aircraft engine, gas turbine, washer/dryer, air-condition, camera, hi-fi, medical equipment, factory machineary, ....

Why do Samsung need AMD again? -_- -_- -_-

I think Samsung is one of very few company can made a complete computer using all the parts from themselve...

Why do Samsung need AMD again? -_- -_- -_-

I think Samsung is one of very few company can made a complete computer using all the parts from themselve...

Because they don't have the x86 and x64 patents.

They can almost make a complete PC by themselves, but the CPUs have to be manufactured by someone else or they have to resort to weaker ARM CPUs.

But aside from that, indeed Samsung is a leading brand on every technology area.

They don't need any other company unless they plan on eating it.

Because they don't have the x86 and x64 patents.

Do you really think x86 and x64 worth billions for Samsung to dive in? Do you really think Samsung will make more money if they make their own x86 and x64 CPU for their desktop/laptop (a sector that keep making LESS and LESS profit) instead of buying from Intel? This is not even a logical reason for Samsung to buy AMD. If you need a chair, will you go buy a tree and make your own or just buy from a reputable furniture store? There is a reason why they are only 2 companies in the whole planet Earth care about making x86 and x64 processors. One of them actually took over 75% of that market share and it is not AMD! If Samsung want to "buy into" x86/x64 CPU business, they should buy Intel, not the loser AMD. Samsung buy Intel = instant win/own the x86/x64 market but it is also another stupid move.

For now and probably for the next some years, mobile devices ARE the money making sector. ARM processors are THE ONE processors for these devices and Samsung is one of the main ARM processor manufacturer. It may be less powerful than x86/x64 CPU, so what? ARM processors may NEED to be weaker because almost all ARM processors are used in places that have limited power source (mobile devices). And using less power is something that x86/x64 processors are SUCKS at.  This is why even AMD are developing ARM powered server CPU.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/8362/amds-big-bet-on-arm-powered-servers-a1100-revealed

Samsung is like printing $$ with their ARM processor and the processor giant Intel are PAYING it's clients to use their Intel mobile chips!

http://appleinsider.com/articles/15/01/19/how-intel-lost-the-mobile-chip-business-to-apples-ax-arm-application-processors

Let me make a dare to all AMD fanboys. If you like AMD so much, are you willing to use your OWN MONEY to buy AMD stocks. Buying stocks are like owning a little piece of that company. I won't invest my hard earn money to a company like the current AMD.

I've been running AMD GPUs for at least my last two complete overhauls so that's probably a good 6-7 years by now. I've never had a problem with the cards but I'll be damned if I understand how to clock the things using the CCC or whatever other program is needed. Figured it's probably best to leave it alone and just drop in a second card when they're cheaper! The BIG problem I have being an AMD gamer is that Nvidia seems to be actively sabotaging games in development so they run distinctly better on their own architecture and practically fail completely on AMD. If you're a pc gamer you'll probably know what I mean, it's been a growing controversy throught the end of 2014! Can't remember what the big title was that did this but it's possible it was AC:Unity which was one of the biggest releases (and disappointments) of the year. Whether or not I'm thinking of the right game, they always go out on release day with boatloads of errors on AMD chips due to the way Nvidia ties the developers to their software and development kis while not allowing AMD to have any say on the integral coding of these games. It's always going to end badly for AMD on such an eneven playing field. Samsung buying out MD MIGHT be a good thing but the problem is more political than financial in the NVidia seem to have a disproportionate say in the development process right now.

This is NOT a fanboy rant by the way, I have no massive love of AMD or overriding hatred of NVidia, I'm just comfortable with what I know and recent Radeon cards have been better suited to my machine and wallet lately ;)

Puntosmx likes this

Do you really think x86 and x64 worth billions for Samsung to dive in? Do you really think Samsung will make more money if they make their own x86 and x64 CPU for their desktop/laptop (a sector that keep making LESS and LESS profit) instead of buying from Intel? This is not even a logical reason for Samsung to buy AMD. If you need a chair, will you go buy a tree and make your own or just buy from a reputable furniture store? There is a reason why they are only 2 companies in the whole planet Earth care about making x86 and x64 processors. One of them actually took over 75% of that market share and it is not AMD! If Samsung want to "buy into" x86/x64 CPU business, they should buy Intel, not the loser AMD. Samsung buy Intel = instant win/own the x86/x64 market but it is also another stupid move.

For now and probably for the next some years, mobile devices ARE the money making sector. ARM processors are THE ONE processors for these devices and Samsung is one of the main ARM processor manufacturer. It may be less powerful than x86/x64 CPU, so what? ARM processors may NEED to be weaker because almost all ARM processors are used in places that have limited power source (mobile devices). And using less power is something that x86/x64 processors are SUCKS at.  This is why even AMD are developing ARM powered server CPU.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/8362/amds-big-bet-on-arm-powered-servers-a1100-revealed

Samsung is like printing $$ with their ARM processor and the processor giant Intel are PAYING it's clients to use their Intel mobile chips!

http://appleinsider.com/articles/15/01/19/how-intel-lost-the-mobile-chip-business-to-apples-ax-arm-application-processors

Let me make a dare to all AMD fanboys. If you like AMD so much, are you willing to use your OWN MONEY to buy AMD stocks. Buying stocks are like owning a little piece of that company. I won't invest my hard earn money to a company like the current AMD.

First, you claimed Samsung was a dominant brand on every technological arena, and couldn't win *anything* from buying AMD. I just proved you wrong with a couple patents.

Now, there's no reason for you to lash back in such a ranty way, with so many jabs at fanboys.

I do agree that ARM is the present and future for mobile, and that stronger ARM architecture will find their way to netbooks and laptops in the midterm. One could even argue that ARM is going to be important in the server market, and it's curious that AMD is targeting their Seatle and Skybridge platforms for ARM-based servers.

But mid- and high-end computing, as well as professional-grade rendering requires beefier platforms, and x86/x64 is that beefier solution.

Until IBM releases their trinary/non-silicon/nanotechnology processes they've been hinting at for half a year, hardcore gaming, video rendering, and high-bucks enterprises are going to buy higher-grade hardware. Yes, it is dominated by Intel and nVidia, corporations many times larger than AMD. It's obvious they'll keep dominating that industry.

If there was anything from Samsung to win by purchasing AMD, it would be inclusion into that sector. And they could give both Intel and nVidia a run for their money.

Now, if I was in a position to invest, I'd certainly invest on AMD. Because I like their product philosophy.

But, alas, economy's not that gentle, it seems.....