• Welcome to the Angry Joe Show Army!

Join our community of gamers passionate about our community and our hobby! Whether it's playing, discussing, or watching games, regardless of platform, genre, or location, we have a place for you, always!

• PS4 Forum

The AJSA Playstation 4 Division: Game Nights and More!

The AJSA is on Playstation 4! Join us for weekly Game Nights with a selection of the best games the PS4 has to offer!

• XBO Forum

The AJSA Xbox One Division: We Got You Covered!

The AJSA Xbox One Division is ready to connect with you on XBox Live with a ton of events for the best Xbox games!

• News Archive

The Best News from the Best Sites, Every Week.

The AJSA News Collection Team is hard at work condensing a week's worth of news into one giant-sze digest for you to chew on and discuss! Links to source articles are always provided!

• More Info

The AJSA Expeditionary Force: Deploying to Play the Best PC Games!

The elite vanguard of the AJSA, the Expeditionary Force (EF) chooses a new PC game every week! Join us for weekly events and help decide if the game has a future in the AJSA.

• The Team

Streaming Now: The AJSA Stream Team

Joe can't stream every game, but our talented AJSA Stream Team covers a wide variety of games and personalities! Check them out, and show them some AJSA Love!

• The Tube

The AJSA Community YouTube Channel

Featuring news, gameplay clips, and more from the community! The Community is a chance to showcase the best moments in AJSA Gaming!

DestinyDecade

Depression... any advice on how to deal with it?

28 posts in this topic

I don't know if its okay to have a thread like this but yeah... i just want to say that I'm going through depression and it's not pretty. I'm trying my best in hoping that I could go through the day without a problem.

Unfortunately it's getting harder as it is due to some events that have occurred yesterday that drove me to the breaking point.

As you guys know, I'm a YouTube let's player but not as well known. Recently I had videos ready to be published when suddenly, I was getting word that I was being bombarded by a nuke full of dislikes. I don't know how it happened but it drove me to the brink of paranoia. So I had to try to get under serious damage control but the stress of it all drove me to feel hopeless. It also made me understand that the people I once thought of as friends aren't really my friends at all.

Long story short, I had a panic attack and my depression's kicking in. I need some advice on what I should do because i'm taking time off to get my brain back on track.

Feel free to comment because I'm open to any advice.

Don't be a youtuber?

Seems like it's taking a toll on you.

Also, do some spring cleaning in your friend list.

baronrouker likes this

I don't know, eat some ice cream, watch your favorite anime/tv show/movie, look at cats, obliterate some commies, play a game for 15 hours, go talk to people you wouldn't talk to, buy some legos, eat a hole pizza for the fun of it, have a sleep over, buy 20lbs of bacon, read a good book all day, find some assholes on the internet to hang out with, rejoice in the fact you have a cool accent, do what sol told you to do... I'm out of ideas

To be honest, this just seems like a case of high anxiety and sorts.

Not saying it ain't freaky deaky, but I wouldn't freaky deaky the freak out about being depressed.

Only natural to get bad feels when bad things happen.

As someone who knows for the least fortunate reasons what depression really means and what it can do do, my first advice would to try and relax and avoid the stressful situation you are facing a for a short while. Seek a distraction, nothing to taxing, like a book or a TV show you enjoy or something, eat a proper meal then have good nights sleep. If you don't feel better and still have it all on top of you, consult your doctor. What allot of people don't understand about depression is it's, as much as anything, a medical condition, it's not the same as getting upset over something of feeling down. Don't hesitate to seek help.

As someone who is suffering from chronic depression for over 15 years what you describe sounds more like a bad phase and a panic attack. I do not want to play it down because this can affect someone really hard. Take time off YouTube and if you find some enjoyment within this go out for some walks. Take some fresh air in and enjoy the "silence" of nature. Apart from that if you keep on feeling down and (I sure hope not for you) being on the brink of depression seek out professional help. It was the only thing that helped me after being deep down in the rabbit hole for way too long. 

Go out with friends. If you don't have any, make some. Do things with them. Play games, watch movies. Internet relationships don't count. Needs to be actual physical social activity. Go out for a cup of coffee, go out shopping for clothes, join a movie club, play DnD with friends.

Anything.

Social activity with people helps alleviate depression, says this study from 2014: http://www.universityherald.com/articles/11159/20140830/social-activities-depression-queensland-group-bonding-relationships.htm

Now, I'm pretty anti-social. I like eating alone. But don't diminish the factor human relationships have on you.

Also, to get depressed about YouTube dislikes is absurd. Forget about it. Ignore that shit. If there is actual criticism, heed it. If it's just trolls, scroll past. It's YouTube. You don't need to give a shit.

Now, go out and have a cup of coffee. None of that triple frappo mocha shit with sugar and cream. Actual coffee with either cream or milk. Take a few friends with you.

It'll get better. I promise.

Puntosmx likes this

I'm not sure if it was depression but I remember for the longest time that when I first started college that it was a massive toll on my mentally and emotionally. It didn't help that by the time I reached Junior year (which is now) that I broke down during the middle of class, all thanks to a robbery that happened to me while I was sleeping. It just broke me inside, making me think nothing in my life was in my control and that I couldn't handle it anymore. Thankfully, my prof. was able to help me get an emergency counseling session which eventually lead to me going into group counseling. It helped dramatically, giving me a place to discuss with others about my problems and vice versa. If you do have something like depression you might consider groups that help with this sort of thing, it worked for me and even LittleKuriboh did this and it seems to have helped him tremendously. So hang in there man, you really aren't alone.

My advice: realise that you can't please everyone and that there will be some who take their displeasure of you to the extreme.

Just count the number of people who hate PewDiePie.  Then count the number of people who like him.

There will always be haters, but the worst thing you can do is to give into the feelings they want you to feel.  Just ignore them and power on through.  Giving them even a second worth of thought is letting them win.  Think of them as the peanut gallery and do what everyone does to them: ignore them.

Had that happen to me once, what you gotta do is seek some other spare time occupation. Forget youtube. And clean your friends out. Throw em in the trash if your certain it was them that did it, on purpose.

Though if you enjoy making videos a bit too much then i suggest you give it more effort and polishment in whatever, it is you like to publish. You are bound to get something good out of it if you give it your fullest, but be open to crits always.

If your life is a bit steep, and your hobbies ain't satisfying your needs, really, find something else that you can enjoy on a daily basis. Usually wraps up a depression very quickly.

Well, everyone else seemed to give good advice. So here's my good/bad advice.

Personally, I'd say get a drink and hang out with someone till the feeling blows over. Where I lived before, I was able to just sit at a bar and hang out. Didn't have to talk or be a part of the conversation, just sit back enjoying my drink being around people who didn't know about the problem. That way, I was fully away from the issue and chill.

Pick up a game and play with someone, anyone, and just play. No worrying about everything else, just get lost in the game.

Punch something you don't mind breaking. Go out for a run, do push ups. Exercise. Tire yourself out physically. Use any anger you have and burn it all up. Then after you rest, both your body and mind are rested together.

Tell the bad comments to piss off. Not literally respond to them mind you. They don't deserve the response. Just look at the comment, say "yeah, @!&$ you." and move on.

Say "beep boop" to yourself. I heard that works. It's sounds stupid, but it might make you laugh.

Heard someone else say whenever they had a hard thing to face, they told them self to "be a knight". It's kinda hard to let things get you down when you're busy being a badass yeah?

Find something else that you're fighting for and use that as inspiration to keep your head up. Faith, family, a lover, moral strength, whatever. Then, pick yourself up, brush off the dirt, and keep moving. Long as you're up and fighting, whatever you're fighting for is safer. At least, that's what I tell myself.

First and foremost don't resort to inflicting any bodily harm upon yourself. A dislike bomb may suck but it is definitely nothing to hurt yourself over.

Second....keep doing what you're doing, make videos and clean out your friends list. If you want to take time off, go for it but I wouldn't quit.

go to your doctor and see what advice they can give you, or a plan to lead to a solution, before it gets worse.

i've let my depression get the better of me for years. last week it came to the point of my first anxiety / panic attack. i've also experienced daytime black outs, where i will completely forget how i got to where i was, or what i was doing for the past 10 mins, even happens while i am driving, suicidal thoughts, highly irritable, aggressive, inability to be around new crowds of people in a social gathering.

don't let it get to that. if you don't see a doctor about it now, it will be worse later on whenever you do decide to confront the problem.

don't end up on SSRI medication like sertraline, i just did, and it's not fun.

everyone here gave some good advice but as a felllow yutuber i have gotten some negative stuff thrown at me.

Just let it roll off your back and keep doing what you do,i just be nice to the trolls and assholes and they just leave.

First, let go off the pressure. Even TB and PDP closed comments on their vids. Don't push yourself to look "alright" on cam or releasing on a schedule if you're feeling low.

Don't engage toxicity. Specially on internet platforms where trolls thrive in their perceived anonimity. Engage with those that support you, rather than those who attack you.

Turn the game off and go out. Walk out to buy your food. Go drink a coffee or beer with some friends, and chat a while. Walking an hour a day will help lots.

Change your schedule. This is certainly easier said than done, as depression causes insomnia and hypersomnia (I get both). But sleeping at night and waking during morning helps balance your hormones and brain chemistry. Make sure to actually watch the sunlight; keeping the curtains tight shut defeats the purpose.

Change fluorescent and "cool" lighting to warmer colors. The long tubes output a wavelength that induces depression, while warmer (yellowish) light favors happier moods.

Travel. Give yourself a day or two off to go out of town and find somewhere beautiful where you can unload.

Get a pet. Dogs are best, since they are cuddly and love being petted every single moment. You can borrow a pet from family or friends if you don't want the respinsibility.

Get a mate. Or don't. It's a big gamble, and it most certainly won't last. But it worked for me (once) and Boogie....

Go look for psychological or psychiatric treatment. It's awful finding yourself at the waiting room, feeling you are truly broken and defeated by yiyr own mind, but there's a time professional help is mandatory.

Talking is the keyword here. Talking about your problems with someone (face to face) you trust and know (and, who knows you). A real friend (not some netbuddy etc), family member/relative, someone else or you can seek (there is no shame in that) professional help (councelling with psychologist). They can also give you more specific advice and help, that we can't do here, because we don't know you, your life, the events that have happened in your life etc. Stay away from the things that might stress you and look for someone to talk to.

Easy. Embrace it, incorporate it into your personality and eventually it doesn't bother you. It also helps to have things to compliment it like Sarcasm or Cynicism so that whenever you complain about things it helps, alot.

To most people though this will either be extremely entertaining, or extremely irritating. Me, I'm lucky enough to be married to someone who does the exact same thing so it's not as difficult for me.

Ultimately my advice is just be... Negative. Ironic yes, but it works.

Depends how severe it is.  I would recommend having some friends and family over to help or if it is getting really bad you could get help at a local psychiatrist.  Maybe the first one is more ideal.  Have family over and spend some alone time with them.  It also always helps to open up to others in your family.  Even though it doesn't sound like it, it may help you.  Good luck. 

last week i was severly depressed, suicidal, anxious, having panic attacks and all sorts, headaches, migranes, unable to sleep, so i went to the docs and told them everything and was told i could do either or both - take sertraline (zoloft to the US) or speak to a shrink, or both. i started the meds, and for a week now ive been feeling great... so great i dont remember what i was so depressed about.

i mean i have no idea, i dont recall anything, so i cant really go to the shrink to talk about depression when i am taking pills that completely remove the depression, lol.

The way I deal with depression is I either listen to music  (preferably AC/DC)  Or I play my favorite video game.

I should give you guys an update. Unfortunately my depression has gotten very serious and it's making me feel less happy.

I'm trying to take it one day at a time. I'll be fine but any advice i get is helpful. Thank you all.

If you haven't done so, tell your friends and family and seek medical advice asap.

anubist800 likes this

go to the doctor and tell them your problems and exactly how you feel.

chances are they will offer medication, therapy, or both. you take either, and follow up with them in a month normally... where they will assess you and your well being, and make a decision if you need continued medication or if you are able to cope without any of it.

i've been on sertraline / zoloft for a few weeks now and i feel a whole lot better. negative thoughts or depression doesn't come to mind, it just blows over.

With motivational/funny memes!

Funniest_Memes_i-am-a-tiny-cactus_186.jp

Or just do what I do and see a therapist once a week.

Here somes tips if you suffer depression like me.

1. Take some walks. It feels good and calm yours thoughts .

2.Throw away yours ¨falses friends¨. These no good to seem them again. If you are in real need of friends, go outside and do socials or if you are the style to be an hermit like me then you have no need to worry about it, just chat with yours favorites community if you need to do socials.

3. If you are the style of want to please to everyones, don't be a youtuber. Youtube community is the worse. Even that you can't please to everybody so don't make videos to have peace.

4. Here the symptoms of depression if you are like me. Feel sick like you want to vomit for any stress you pass through, want to cry for any stress you pass through and the worse of ALL, feel you want to suicide because of yours problems or for no reason. If this is your case, GO see a doctor ! You need depressors. One more thing, DON'T EVEN DARE to go suicide, because i'm sure your a good person, your parents will thinks you are a good person, HELL even the AJSA community will say your a good person. EVEN AngryJoe if he listen to this will say your a good person because your are a precious human being with emotions. Or else you will never ask help in this community . You know what i tell you a story. One weekend i wanted to suicide because for no fucking reason ( sorry for the moderator if i don't censcored ) so i go see the doctor and go on the depressors. But the worst in it is when i see on the net the news of the dead of the great JewWario. Oh man the slap the faith give me. If i don't decide to go see the doctor, maybe i would be here to write you. And to stay thruth on my words i'm even ready to stay all the night to text you if you need it to listen to you. So feel free to text me on my mail box in the AJSA if you need to be listen and you know what ? I will even follow your topic to see if you need help or Watch your repost to see you will not giving hope.

4. Try to see the good side of your status. It's a lame tips but it help me so much.

5. Try to created somes jokes to yourself. It's awkward for a tips but this to it help me very much. Like... tell you somes jokes in the mirrors.

So here my tips. So don't give up Buddy ! If you need help, the AJSA community is here to help you !