• Welcome to the Angry Joe Show Army!

Join our community of gamers passionate about our community and our hobby! Whether it's playing, discussing, or watching games, regardless of platform, genre, or location, we have a place for you, always!

• PS4 Forum

The AJSA Playstation 4 Division: Game Nights and More!

The AJSA is on Playstation 4! Join us for weekly Game Nights with a selection of the best games the PS4 has to offer!

• XBO Forum

The AJSA Xbox One Division: We Got You Covered!

The AJSA Xbox One Division is ready to connect with you on XBox Live with a ton of events for the best Xbox games!

• News Archive

The Best News from the Best Sites, Every Week.

The AJSA News Collection Team is hard at work condensing a week's worth of news into one giant-sze digest for you to chew on and discuss! Links to source articles are always provided!

• More Info

The AJSA Expeditionary Force: Deploying to Play the Best PC Games!

The elite vanguard of the AJSA, the Expeditionary Force (EF) chooses a new PC game every week! Join us for weekly events and help decide if the game has a future in the AJSA.

• The Team

Streaming Now: The AJSA Stream Team

Joe can't stream every game, but our talented AJSA Stream Team covers a wide variety of games and personalities! Check them out, and show them some AJSA Love!

• The Tube

The AJSA Community YouTube Channel

Featuring news, gameplay clips, and more from the community! The Community is a chance to showcase the best moments in AJSA Gaming!

Apex Spartan

Windows 7 and 8 users will be able to upgrade to Windows 10 for free

48 posts in this topic

Why would I? 7 works perfectly fine for me and doesn't have app bullshit. Unless 10 can offer a significant performance boost I don't think I want to go through the trouble of "upgrading". 

My hope is that 10 is an overall better platform for gaming. 

There seems to be nods to this with DX12, X1, "Cortana" and "Spartan" cropping up.  It looks aas though MS is looking to try and negate those gamers movng away from windows and opting for Steam OS and suchlike instead.

I suppose we'll really find out when we discover how much RAM it eats. 

Why would I? 7 works perfectly fine for me and doesn't have app bullshit. Unless 10 can offer a significant performance boost I don't think I want to go through the trouble of "upgrading". 

DirectX 12 tho

I'll let my old man to be the guinea pig and upgrade first as I'm in no rush to change my OS. I am completely satisfied with 8.1 right now and see no need for any improvements that are not hardware related.

If I can upgrade without having to reinstall everything and the look of it satisfies my needs, I wouldn't mind definitely upgrading for free. If it doesn't give me either of those then no.... though DirectX 12....

How dare they dangle such bait before me.

I have 8.1 and I would probably upgrade 2-3 month after the release so they can fix hole and optimize it for gaming. Still it look like they are going the right way

Ow, too many questions....

is the upgrade compulsory or optional? i don't care if it's free, i don't want my windows 7 to one day upgrade itself to windows 10 without my permission. and what is windows 10? where's 9?

It should be optional.

BTW, it's always a good idea to have the system warn you about new updates but require your permission to dl and apply them.

Whether Windows 10 will be good or not will be decided when it's released. What I want to know is this:

Where's Windows 9? Is it because there's already windows 95 & 98 so there's no title confusion?

Win 10 is expected to be as stable as 8.1 (which is slightly better than 7) but with more compatibility.

Windows 9 was skipped because Win 95 and 98 identify as "Win 9.x", and old legacy programs could present problems when checking Win version to see compatibility. It's nothing that could be fixed, but whatever.

Also, "Windows 10" sounds more advanced than 9, and "is meant to be such a huge leap ahead that it deserves the number" *coughmarketingcough*

I have Windows 7 PC, will it lose all my data after upgrading?

I think one didn't lose data when upgrading from Vista to 7, back when that happened.

Also, 8.0 going into 8.1 was seamless afaik.

So, as long as the programs are compatible with 10, this upgrade should also cause as little hassle as possible.

What about the game performances? There are people experiencing frame rate drops on some OSes.

That's what nobody knows yet.

The open beta test should've helped them with ironing out bugs and compatibilities, and probably even legacy compatibility modes themselves.

But we'll know once the Os is released and people test it on the field.

My hope is that 10 is an overall better platform for gaming. 

There seems to be nods to this with DX12, X1, "Cortana" and "Spartan" cropping up.  It looks aas though MS is looking to try and negate those gamers movng away from windows and opting for Steam OS and suchlike instead.

I suppose we'll really find out when we discover how much RAM it eats.

DirectX 12 is to me exactly the same as DirectX 10 was in Vista: A cheap excuse to force people to upgrade to the new OS by blocking further development on an exclusive API. DX12 is being advertised as a new graphical revolution for PC gaming, just like DX 10 was back in the day. Yet, the real upgrade came with DX11, and DX10 is no longer seen anywhere.

DX12 seems to streamline development further for XBone and PC, so games should be easier to port between both platforms. That could be reason enough to upgrade.

But I'll remain skeptical until there's live proof that it is indeed the upgrade they're advertising.

ive never understood the benefits to upgrading rather than formatting. i get that upgrading to a new OS rather than a full blown retail priced box is cheaper, but that will mean every time you want to format to windows 10, you will need to format and install windows 7 and then use your upgrade software or upgrade disc to upgrade than new windows 7 installation to windows 10.

a lot of hassle if you ask me. i bet after doing so the registry will be fucked, maybe some programs wont work and you will have to reinstall them anyway.

then what about your chipset drivers for your motherboard? those may need reinstalling to work with the new OS, and have the correct registry entries.

end of the day you might as well just install windows 10 from scratch and install programs and games from scratch. a solid state drive makes it a breeze anyway.

the only thing that was ever a pain for me was having to save all movies, tv shows and music to an external drive and then transfer back to the PC but i use a NAS now, so i never need to do that, i just connect to the drive and that's it, all my programs, files and stuff is saved there. all i ever do when i format is windows updates and some programs and steam. done within an hour or so.

Mr_E_Meatshield likes this

Looking forward to it! Hopefully most of the planet can now be on the same page?

ive never understood the benefits to upgrading rather than formatting. i get that upgrading to a new OS rather than a full blown retail priced box is cheaper, but that will mean every time you want to format to windows 10, you will need to format and install windows 7 and then use your upgrade software or upgrade disc to upgrade than new windows 7 installation to windows 10.

a lot of hassle if you ask me. i bet after doing so the registry will be fucked, maybe some programs wont work and you will have to reinstall them anyway.

then what about your chipset drivers for your motherboard? those may need reinstalling to work with the new OS, and have the correct registry entries.

end of the day you might as well just install windows 10 from scratch and install programs and games from scratch. a solid state drive makes it a breeze anyway.

Indeed, it's always better to make a clean install, for it avoids legacy stuff bloating the harddrive.

But yes, the idea is that it's cheaper to upgrade than to buy the whole OS license anew.

I've seen most drivers for 7 being distributed in the same package as those for 8, so probably they are either compatible or the same. 10 being 8.2, it should be equally compatible too.

When I noticed I had to save and transfer too many files, I instead kepta partitioned HDD ^_^

"free until" isn't free, it's more like a loan IMO.

That said I don't think people should take it because new systems are rarely if ever as stable as the old ones for the first year or two. 

When I noticed I had to save and transfer too many files, I instead kepta partitioned HDD ^_^

that's also a good idea, until the day comes that you accidentally delete that partition on the format disk window. then the following will be experienced:

face drops.

mouth opens.

the whole neighbourhood can hear you screaming!

that's also a good idea, until the day comes that you accidentally delete that partition on the format disk window. then the following will be experienced:

face drops.

mouth opens.

the whole neighbourhood can hear you screaming!

It's just a matter of... you know... leaving the partition alone.

Also, it's more liekly that I'll rage, hit the lap with a litre of vanilla-flavored milk and ruin the PC.

I've got around 4 dead HDDs around to remind me not to do it again.

I've partitioned my HDs for as long as I've had a PC, and I've never even come close to accidentally formating one once, I haven't even reached the screen that says "are you sure?" by mistake, at which point you STILL have a chance to cancel...and even if you hit yes by mistake somehow...I think you STILL have a chance to cancel while the HD starts making preparations, but I could be wrong there since it's been awhile, and I certainly haven't done it on my current system yet.

Anyway, about new DirectX...I have absolutely no trust in MS at all when it comes to DirectX features. I remember when windows vista or 7 or whatever it was that had 10 was coming out. I saw one article after another after another without even TRYING to research directX, OR the new system, talking about how amazingly fast games would be that utilize the new directX, blah blah...Welp, I kept windows xp for years after 7 came out (let alone vista), and after upgrading my system, AND doubling my ram so my computer could handle it fine, *EVERY* single game that had optimization for both the old and new directX was in fact SLOWER by a good 10-15fps (out of only around 60) according to fraps...and yes, my Videocard WAS "optimized" for the new directX too.

Puntosmx likes this

I probably won't upgrade until there are some useful improvements or it reduces the system resource footprint.

That being said, the technology I'm interested in is Hallolens. I WANT WARHAMMER 40K WITH HALLOLENS. Seriously, to look at a table, and have it turn into a tabletop game would be epic. That and pokemon that we can actually see battle and collect and capture in the real world, and have our pokemon (or other critter) battle in the real world against other people over LAN. Also, can you imagine if someone made a megaman battlenetworkeskue game where you had to move between 9 squares on your side, and had to dodge attacks while using skills by aiming your arm or having them auto que and you firing by pulling a virtual trigger to attack enemies on the other 9 squares in augmented reality. Imagine facing other players in that very same game over WLAN. THAT makes me excited and I want to develop those games.

Or can anyone say real world Megami Tensai game?

That being said, I'm skeptical as heck about that trailer. But if it works as the hype trailer looks like, I WANT those games to happen.

Puntosmx likes this

First of all, there's a Win10 thread on Tech&Troubleshooting here.

http://angryjoeshow.com/ajsa/topic/23783-the-windows-10-thread/

Anyway, being weird I went into another forum, where I got some answers that were asked here.

Many people there consider Win10 stable enough, but only one out of a dozen commented about gaming in it already. It seems stable enough.

So Far so good with it. Been running the Preview on my last Gaming system. I Just like with the Latest annoucment that they going to be giving Window 7 people a free upgrade to it. Wounder if my Copy of Ultimate Retail will land me into the Pro Model.

The most frequent gripe seemed to be the embeded surveillance (Cortana, like Siri, connects to servers to improve search results and datamine what you ask/search with it).

I'll leave two replied that I found could help people understand what's coming with win 10.

Good questions, here's my two cents:

First of all, what do you think about Win10?

>> I think it is good. I am still waiting for MS to release a full Windows 10 on a smartphone. Not the b*st*rdized Windows PHONE 10 ARM version. I am looking at you INTEL and AMD. Also, Free Upgrade = Good.

Will the release version be stable and compatible enough for gaming, specially compared to Win7?

>> MS will try to make it as stable as possible but of course there will be bugs. I would suggest that you wait for a month or two if you are not brave or if you do not have a backup system.

Do you think DirectX 12 will be an important factor for GUI in general and gaming in particular?

>> For the GUI, highly unlikely as it is intended to support various hardware. As for gaming, expect what you would expect on other Windows OSes.

Do you expect any problems with program compatibility requiring people to reinstall programs or stuff ourtight not working anymore?

>> In the past, some legacy hardware need new drivers for each new kernel. However, MS built what they call "Compatibility Mode" during the time they released Vista. It enabled users to run (or use) old hardware in new OSes as if they were running in the OS they were built for. To see for yourself, on Windows 8.1, right click on any .exe file on your computer, click on PROPERTIES and on the COMPATIBILITY tab, you will see what I mean.

What do you think of the desktop + Metro interface mashup?

>> I like it! I got used to the Metro/Modern UI, but I think I want to use the one similar to pre-Modern UI start menu for non-touchscreens.

To add a few more to the discussion, what is bothering me right now is the speculation about making this OS a service (OSaaS) or subscription based. Let me ask my fellow forum members this, if I may, how much would you pay per month for your OS?

I've switched over to Win 10 from Win 7 for daily use to give it a good go. So far, a couple of issues have arose, nothing too bad I suppose.

Keep in mind, this is all 64 bit preview.

cons:

1. Search requires a better than 3 Mb/s connection, quite laggy on my end. (tethering ftw)

2. My video drivers didn't have to be reinstalled (amd); however, the catalyst control software did need to be moved from my windows.old folders, along with Google Drive, Dropbox, and Python 3.4

3. Defender is just a renamed Microsoft Security Essentials.

4. Still no MS Paperclip Assistant.

5. Calendar syncs to MS and Outlook, no 3rd part support yet (unless your MS account is the same account with your online calendars)

6. Looking for MS Paint for meme purposes.

pros:

1. Same Memory use with tons of windows open.

2. Multiple desktops was stolen from Linux, but totally worth it.

3. Good blend of Win 7 and Win 8.1. easy transition for all users.

Well, that's that.

Happy gaming!

I'd rather they fix all the issues it has on the X1 first before porting it to the PC. Don't want them bringing something broken over after all. Same goes with 5.

I'm actually hoping they take a long time to fix it. They said they were going to include ODST in an update because MCC is so botched. Maybe if it takes a long time to fix, Microsoft will throw in Firefight too. I miss that mode and I don't care for Halo 5 in the slightest.

First of all, there's a Win10 thread on Tech&Troubleshooting here.

http://angryjoeshow.com/ajsa/topic/23783-the-windows-10-thread/

Anyway, being weird I went into another forum, where I got some answers that were asked here.

Many people there consider Win10 stable enough, but only one out of a dozen commented about gaming in it already. It seems stable enough.

The most frequent gripe seemed to be the embeded surveillance (Cortana, like Siri, connects to servers to improve search results and datamine what you ask/search with it).

I'll leave two replied that I found could help people understand what's coming with win 10.

Well, that's that.

Happy gaming!

Is your data wiped out after the update?

He wasn't the one who's currently using it.

From responses I got, no.

Data and programs remain.

Drivers work nicely.

Some programs (Catalyst Control Center, Google Drive, Dropbox, and Python 3.4) need to be moved to work again. The rest keep on working with no problems.

Still, consider that it's the first batch. For a more seamless experience, I'd advise waiting some 3-6 months before making the jump, so that the process is ironed out and bugs get fixed.

^ That's cool, I'm waiting for Forza 6 to be on Windows 12... Oops I mean 10!

Well unlike all of you I'm waiting for the well anticipated Windows 4000.