• Welcome to the Angry Joe Show Army!

Join our community of gamers passionate about our community and our hobby! Whether it's playing, discussing, or watching games, regardless of platform, genre, or location, we have a place for you, always!

• PS4 Forum

The AJSA Playstation 4 Division: Game Nights and More!

The AJSA is on Playstation 4! Join us for weekly Game Nights with a selection of the best games the PS4 has to offer!

• XBO Forum

The AJSA Xbox One Division: We Got You Covered!

The AJSA Xbox One Division is ready to connect with you on XBox Live with a ton of events for the best Xbox games!

• News Archive

The Best News from the Best Sites, Every Week.

The AJSA News Collection Team is hard at work condensing a week's worth of news into one giant-sze digest for you to chew on and discuss! Links to source articles are always provided!

• More Info

The AJSA Expeditionary Force: Deploying to Play the Best PC Games!

The elite vanguard of the AJSA, the Expeditionary Force (EF) chooses a new PC game every week! Join us for weekly events and help decide if the game has a future in the AJSA.

• The Team

Streaming Now: The AJSA Stream Team

Joe can't stream every game, but our talented AJSA Stream Team covers a wide variety of games and personalities! Check them out, and show them some AJSA Love!

• The Tube

The AJSA Community YouTube Channel

Featuring news, gameplay clips, and more from the community! The Community is a chance to showcase the best moments in AJSA Gaming!

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Puntosmx

"PCMR" vs political correctness.

62 posts in this topic

DISCLAIMER

This is NOT a Console-vs-PC discussion.
Console gaming is awesome.
PC Gaming is awesome.
This is to discuss Yahtzee's commentary on why PCMR was created and why it can't be policed.

END DISCLAIMER

Certainly, PC gamers seem to be masochistic.
We love stuffing disparate things into a box and fuzzing about milimeters and temperature meassurements and a miriad of numbers that tend to get in the way of gaming every time we have to turn our attention to it.
Yahtzee opens his latest article with this very painful hazzle of PC gaming.
It's in part a reply to another article asking for the term to be banned, and a gaming forum actually banning it.

What intrigues me more is how this term was made to mock the arrogance of PC gamers and was turned upside down to become a flag for that very arrogance to breed.
Following suit, the Pcgamer article was handwaved by people who identify with PCMR.
As Yahtzee concludes, I don't think a single article (or a barrage of them either) could make the term go away.

Now, if you allow me, I'll go meassure the temps of my CPU to see if I can cook some eggs for dinner ^_^

If someone just uses it as a joke between PC Gamers, then there's no problem. It's when someone uses it unironically and starts acting all High-and-Mighty and talks down on everyone who doesn't play on PC where things go wrong.

Take Scumbag Steve vs Good Guy Greg:

nxuV5Ft.jpg

Where as Good Guy Greg

xlRHD24.jpg

Games on pc 
doesn't give people sh*t about what platform they play on

(I didn't make these, found them on Google)

It's alright to love gaming on PC, or even say that it's the best platform to game on, it usually is depending on the hardware you have. But don't for a second think that excuses you from being an asshole to everyone else who doesn't share that view.

It's also funny that whenever someone says that they don't like the "PC Master Race" term that they're "Butthurt console gamers". Because, hey everyone who plays on PC is down with the whole "Master Race" bit riiight? Standing up to PC Elitists is more akin to standing up to bullies.

I love playing on the PC (laptop) and this thing can play games better than the PS4, but I'm not going to be spouting "PC Master Race" any time soon. I don't want to be associated with the PC Elitists (not that everyone who uses the term is one) who use it.

The PC Gamer article misses what's wrong with the term by saying that it's because of the Nazi Connotation. Even though there are parallels between the "PC Master Race" term and the "Master Race" idea, the term in itself isn't the problem.

Now before someone says "BS, what parallels?" The "Master Race" was co-opted by the Nazi party from the term "Übermensch", the same way the PC Gamers and PC Elitists co-opted the joke to fit them. As with the "Master Race" and the Nazis who thought they were above everyone else, the PC Elitists who use the term look down on everyone who doesn't play on PC, hence the terms like "Filthy Console Peasant" and such. It is this attitude that is what's wrong with using the term. It was this sort of attitude that turned people off of PC gaming as well.

I identify myself as simply a Gamer, not PC Gamer, or Console Gamer. I play on whatever system I wish as long as they have games that interest me. I have no need for these "Master Race" or "Fanboy" in this hobby, and it is unfortunate that this sort of toxic attitude is often applauded and encouraged (more specifically the "Master Race" by PC Elitists).

What needs to be done is to call out these "PC Elitists" for being assholes, and not treat them like they aren't doing anything wrong. You can state facts all you want, but don't be a dick and treat anyone like crap because of it. Doing so isn't about being offended or not, we're not supposed to be ok with assholes anyway. There really isn't any reason to tolerate these individuals.

---

Just so that I'm clear, I'm making a distinction between PC Gamer and PC Elitist. Not all PC Gamers have elitist attitudes when it comes to gaming.

Shagger, Crazycrab, Winnum and 2 others like this

Mr_E_Meatsheild pretty much summed it up.

Oh god, I think my IQ dropped a solid 20 points from reading the PC Gamer article.

I know right........

Also I would like to apologize to all console gamers on behalf of the pc gamers who aren't a bunch of wanky bitches with nothing better to do than act superior for absolutely no good reason what-so-fucking-ever. As for the rest of the master race virgins for life I highly recommend getting a new hobby that Involves being a tool (I'd recommend DJing) rather than ruining mine. 

Puntosmx and Mr_E_Meatshield like this

Meatshields response needs extra like buttons.

Yeah, i am tired of both console, and PC gamers arguing with each other all the time about who has the best system. Everyone just needs to play what they want, and not worry about who has the best platfom. 

Kanonite and Mr_E_Meatshield like this

Imo this discussion is more about Political Correctness than PC Master Race...

Meat (and others but meat most often when ai see it) has been saying this long before yahtzee or the pc gamer article. Notsomuch the nazi spin, which isnt even relevant, but everything else.

Its nowhere close to it being about politically correct. Nobody here says not to use the term ever, or runs for the pitchforks when someone says it... We just mention that you're a dick if you use it for the purpose of putting down. Like if someone asks what version of xx game you will get and you exclaim "pc master race"! Nobody will care. But if you somehow say people who wont get the pc version are dumb or foolish or something, you're a problem.

I mean its just like a curse word. Its just a word. I can say "what the fuck! Stupid crashes!" Or something and nobody here will take offense. But if I said (just an example dont ban me bro!) "Shut up cuz you're fucking stupid!" or something, problems are going to happen.

Anyway, ofc an article or two wont change anything, but speaking out about stupid behaviour is still good, even if only to deflect opposition towards the smaller guys doing it too/first. Not to mention one of those serious "PCMR" people may actually have a moment of insight and learn something from it.

Puntosmx and Mr_E_Meatshield like this

Its nowhere close to it being about politically correct. Nobody here says not to use the term ever, or runs for the pitchforks when someone says it... We just mention that you're a dick if you use it for the purpose of putting down. Like if someone asks what version of xx game you will get and you exclaim "pc master race"! Nobody will care. But if you somehow say people who wont get the pc version are dumb or foolish or something, you're a problem.

Actually, I'd prefer if the term wasn't used at all, but that's not going to solve anything, since it isn't the actual problem.

Puntosmx likes this

OMG, Meatshield! Your reply was much much beter than I had expected!

Indeed, the problem is elitism and bickering. As long as that remains in check, who cares about tags.

BTW, can we add the benefit of fries to gaming on PC? ;)

35805_03_got_some_spare_pc_parts_why_not

Mr_E_Meatshield likes this

BTW, can we add the benefit of fries to gaming on PC? ;)

35805_03_got_some_spare_pc_parts_why_not

As a laptop person, I will never know the joys of PC Fries (or PC cooked anything [though I think eggs might still be an option]). T_T

But I like being able to move this thing between the bedroom and living room and watch TV while using it at the same time. XD

I think there are also cases where the "PCMR" Elitists go after PC Gamers who they deem as "Inferior" too. Things like "No PC Gamer uses Controllers. Go back to consoles, scrub.", people looking down on those who don't build their own PC's and such. Just further shows why this sort of attitude needs to be pointed out and stopped. We shouldn't be putting up with these types of people.

Puntosmx likes this

PC Elitists who call themselves "Master Race" are basically just another type of troll and nothing else. Their goal is just to piss off or act smart ass, pick fights and try to prove they are above everyone else.

I'm 100% PC Gamer. I haven't almost even TOUCHED a console in like 10 or more years, since last time I played PS1 and back when it was popular but you've never seen me yelling "PC master race."  Played Nintendo and some PS1 games once or twice and that's it.

Only reason I play on PC is because I had it since I was a kid, got it randomly, I didn't pick whether I want a console or a PC, I just randomly got a PC and I been using them since then. I liked them and that's it. I think consoles are great but for myself personally, I see no reason to get them yet. There is a few console exclusives I would like but it's not worth buying a whole new gaming platform for it, at least not now.

I'm still thinking of buying PS4 or Xbox One when I get some more freedom and my own place but for now no reason. Like Meatshield said, not all PC gamers are elitists. And in short, PC elitists are assholes and PC gamers are like any other type of gamer, they are open minded and welcome anything as long as it's about gaming.

PC elitists are PC fanboys. Fanboys can be really dumb because they think that their product that they use is the best but it's not. PC elitism is something like that Apple fanboy crap, where Apple fans think iPhones are the best mobile phones on the planet, but they are not. They are simply brainwashed and dumb. Same goes for PC elitists. 

Best thing to do is ignore them. They are nothing but trolls and feed off of your words that you say back.

Mr_E_Meatshield and Shagger like this

PC Elitists who call themselves "Master Race" are basically just another type of troll and nothing else. Their goal is just to piss off or act smart ass, pick fights and try to prove they are above everyone else.

PC elitists are PC fanboys. Fanboys can be really dumb because they think that their product that they use is the best but it's not. PC elitism is something like that Apple fanboy crap, where Apple fans think iPhones are the best mobile phones on the planet, but they are not. They are simply brainwashed and dumb. Same goes for PC elitists. 

Best thing to do is ignore them. They are nothing but trolls and feed off of your words that you say back.

Some of them are trolls, some of them aren't. There are those who don't even know they're being elitist with how they act or what they say.

disclaimer: this is a generalised response to the situation in general. nothing written is made towards anyone who already posted here. it's not a reply to the OP, or anyone else, it's just a comment. if you get offended, guess what, i don't care!  :D

-------------------------------------------

what i never understand is why people get so upset about PC elitists specifically.

for example I am a PC elitist because i refuse to play on any 8th gen console because i personally have no logical reason to do so, everything is better on PC - for me. But i don't brag about that, or troll, or look for fights with console gamers about it.

But i know that in having this mentality in favour of the PC and not in favour of consoles, people will label me as an asshole, because they think that if i prefer to play on a PC i automatically have a hatred towards consoles and look for fights. I get labelled as an asshole PC elitist all the time, when the reality is that i simply don't care - people are free to like what they want, and not like what they want. I am a free human being. I like my PC better than my consoles. Is it illegal to like something more than the other?

Am i really an asshole because i don't like or want an 8th gen console?

I get it, it's frustrating to sit there and love your console, and wish that every gamer in the planet also loved your console, and you take offense to people who don't love your console, but that's life. not everyone is going to like the things you like. you can't just go around calling people assholes because they are different.

disclaimer: this is a generalised response to the situation in general. nothing written is made towards anyone who already posted here. it's not a reply to the OP, or anyone else, it's just a comment. if you get offended, guess what, i don't care!  :D

-------------------------------------------

what i never understand is why people get so upset about PC elitists specifically.

for example I am a PC elitist because i refuse to play on any 8th gen console because i personally have no logical reason to do so, everything is better on PC - for me. But i don't brag about that, or troll, or look for fights with console gamers about it.

But i know that in having this mentality in favour of the PC and not in favour of consoles, people will label me as an asshole, because they think that if i prefer to play on a PC i automatically have a hatred towards consoles and look for fights. I get labelled as an asshole PC elitist all the time, when the reality is that i simply don't care - people are free to like what they want, and not like what they want. I am a free human being. I like my PC better than my consoles. Is it illegal to like something more than the other?

Am i really an asshole because i don't like or want an 8th gen console?

I get it, it's frustrating to sit there and love your console, and wish that every gamer in the planet also loved your console, and you take offense to people who don't love your console, but that's life. not everyone is going to like the things you like. you can't just go around calling people assholes because they are different.

Your description of yourself isn't what a PC Elitist is. It's ok to like PC, play only on PC and not want to play on any other platform. However, a PC Elitist does this, and says that playing on anything else is wrong, and looks down on everyone who they deem is inferior. If you're ok with people playing on whatever they want, then you're not a PC Elitist.

If you go out and spout out "PC! PC! Rah! Rah! Rah!" and actively go out saying that playing on anything else is wrong and put down anyone who doesn't play on PC, then you're a PC Elitist. But if you don't, then you're not one.

You personally don't like the 8th Generation of consoles, but are you ok about others playing on them? Did you tell these people who call you a PC Elitist or an asshole that it's ok for them to play on consoles?

Shagger and Apex Spartan like this

Your description of yourself isn't what a PC Elitist is. It's ok to like PC, play only on PC and not want to play on any other platform. However, a PC Elitist does this, and says that playing on anything else is wrong, and looks down on everyone who they deem is inferior. If you're ok with people playing on whatever they want, then you're not a PC Elitist.

but dude, am i really not an elitist?

it's not that i am ok with people playing on whatever they want, it's that i don't care. like, it doesn't even cross my mind. i don't think to myself "oh this guy is buying a game at my local store for the PS4, he's a console gamer but he's ok, even if i game on the PC he is fine - he can play on whatever he wants" i never think like this. i would take 1 look at the guy and just think "whatever". and i will just move on.

i don't even think to myself "yeah, i got the better platform, the cheaper games, the this and that", because i already know this.

i'll tell you what it is man.... this is the problem. gamers across the world are acting out against each other over their game and hardware preferences in this exact scenario:

Man: walks to his new Mercedes S class and opens the door to proceed to drive home.

Man: stops driving in his Porsche Carerra GT and winds down the window and yells at the other man "i got a better car than you motherfucker, HA HA HA", and then drives off.

Man: in mercedes, gets hot headed, infuriated, goes after the Porsche driver, cuts him up at the car park exit, gets out and then starts yelling at him.

Man: in Porsche, gets out of car, slams the door and yells "Oh you wanna fight? you wanna fight you bitch? come on, lets fight i'll beat you up you fucking moron Merc asshole driver"

THAT is gamers of the world. absolutely pathetic.

I think I am a PC elitist, much like that driver was a Porsche elitist. Except i don't do what he did. I just don't care, i mind my own business, i go about my own way, i do what i want when i want. I don't have to advertise to the world I am a PC gamer and i like it and i know it's the best platform, i got my PC, it's right here in my hands as i type this. what more could i want? why do people want to act like the Porsche driver? why can't gamers be like the driver who just gets in his car, and drives home and minds his own damn business?

but dude, am i really not an elitist?

it's not that i am ok with people playing on whatever they want, it's that i don't care. like, it doesn't even cross my mind. i don't think to myself "oh this guy is buying a game at my local store for the PS4, he's a console gamer but he's ok, even if i game on the PC he is fine - he can play on whatever he wants" i never think like this. i would take 1 look at the guy and just think "whatever". and i will just move on.

i don't even think to myself "yeah, i got the better platform, the cheaper games, the this and that", because i already know this.

i'll tell you what it is man.... this is the problem. gamers across the world are acting out against each other over their game and hardware preferences in this exact scenario:

Man: walks to his new Mercedes S class and opens the door to proceed to drive home.

Man: stops driving in his Porsche Carerra GT and winds down the window and yells at the other man "i got a better car than you motherfucker, HA HA HA", and then drives off.

Man: in mercedes, gets hot headed, infuriated, goes after the Porsche driver, cuts him up at the car park exit, gets out and then starts yelling at him.

Man: in Porsche, gets out of car, slams the door and yells "Oh you wanna fight? you wanna fight you bitch? come on, lets fight i'll beat you up you fucking moron Merc asshole driver"

THAT is gamers of the world. absolutely pathetic.

I think I am a PC elitist, much like that driver was a Porsche elitist. Except i don't do what he did. I just don't care, i mind my own business, i go about my own way, i do what i want when i want. I don't have to advertise to the world I am a PC gamer and i like it and i know it's the best platform, i got my PC, it's right here in my hands as i type this. what more could i want? why do people want to act like the Porsche driver? why can't gamers be like the driver who just gets in his car, and drives home and minds his own damn business?

You don't care that people play on whatever they like? Don't think that makes you an elitist. The definition of Elitist:

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/elitist

A PC Elitist would be looking down on that person who's buying the PS4 in the scenario you mentioned. They'd even probably engage the PS4 buyer and try to convince them why buying the console is wrong.

The fact that the thought doesn't even cross your mind shows you're not one. You're clearly just someone who prefers to play on the PC. The last paragraph also tells me you're not ok with people being Elitist.

The reason some PC Elitists don't see themselves as Elitist, is because they either have their own definition for the word, or they don't really understand the word:

NKaSniB.jpg

QmQQ0AD.jpg

pe3LxxN.jpg

Bu8Xs3l.jpg

dTHqUwl.jpg

xxWdBnP.jpg

Fridge, I here want you say and it's noble enough that you leave people be, but just because you're not a toxic person, doesn't mean labeling yourself as "Elite" just because you game only on PC isn't a toxic mindset. By saying "I'm a PC Elitist" you're not describing the PC as superior, you're describing yourself as superior because you game on PC. Even without hassling anyone about it, I wouldn't describe it as healthy.

In your Mercedes vs Porsche metaphor, I'm the guy who drives past in my clapped out old Ford rolling my eyes and shaking my head because whilst they argue my banger will get me home first. It's the belief that one is superior because of car choice (or gaming platform) that's foolish, arguing about it is just more foolish.

This is coming from someone who owns a PS4, XB1 and a £1500 PC, you're like me, superior to nothing and no one.

Mr_E_Meatshield likes this

Fridge, I here want you say and it's noble enough that you leave people be, but just because you're not a toxic person, doesn't mean labeling yourself as "Elite" just because you game only on PC isn't a toxic mindset. By saying "I'm a PC Elitist" you're not doin describing the PC as superior, you're describing yourself as superior because you game on PC. Even without hassleing anyone about it, I wouldn't describe it as healthy.

In your Mercedes vs Porsche metaphor, I'm the guy who drives past in my clapped out old Ford rolling my eyes and shaking my head because whilst they argue my banger will get me home first. It's the belief that one is superior because on car choice (or gaming platform) that's foolish, arguing about it is just more foolish.

This is coming from someone who owns a PS4, XB1 and a £1500 PC, you're like me, superior to nothing and no one.

well if you consider it that way, the person being the elitist rather than the machine, then no, i guess i am not an elitist. but ive always been told i am. if someone were to ask me now, why i dont have an 8th gen console, my response would be something on the lines of... well, my PC performs better, i got cheaper games, more variety of games, and it's a multipurpose machine rather than just for movies, music, and games.

a reponse like that, which is factual and true to the letter, will piss off many console gamers, because it insinuates that their choice of hardware is inferior.

but why they get upset and go all defensive i simply do not know. it implies they take offense that i, fridge, dont approve of their hardware and they really want me to approve of it, so that they can feel happy about their choice with no critisism or negative comments. but why? why do they care what i, or anyone else thinks?

why do these people NEED the planet to agree with them?

do we see people walking up to strangers in the street saying, "hey, you're eating chocolate ice cream. well... i HATE ice cream"? nope. then why do we have gamers around the world going "hey, you play PC, you're a fag. you play console, you're a peasant". why do they care so much?

well if you consider it that way, the person being the elitist rather than the machine, then no, i guess i am not an elitist. but ive always been told i am. if someone were to ask me now, why i dont have an 8th gen console, my response would be something on the lines of... well, my PC performs better, i got cheaper games, more variety of games, and it's a multipurpose machine rather than just for movies, music, and games.

a reponse like that, which is factual and true to the letter, will piss off many console gamers, because it insinuates that their choice of hardware is inferior.

but why they get upset and go all defensive i simply do not know. it implies they take offense that i, fridge, dont approve of their hardware and they really want me to approve of it, so that they can feel happy about their choice with no critisism or negative comments. but why? why do they care what i, or anyone else thinks?

why do these people NEED the planet to agree with them?

do we see people walking up to strangers in the street saying, "hey, you're eating chocolate ice cream. well... i HATE ice cream"? nope. then why do we have gamers around the world going "hey, you play PC, you're a fag. you play console, you're a peasant". why do they care so much?

Maybe they also needed to know that them playing on console is ok by you. People don't always understand intentions when we say or do things, like in that PSN & XBL Hacked thread where you intended saying that the "PC is still fine" (or something along those lines) was a joke.

There's also the delivery of the answer, like how it's not always just what we say, but how we say it.

But of course there are those who need validation, and people who don't fully understand what actual Elitism is.

Shagger likes this

Why must people shove politically correct bs into every damn thing... 

I WAS going to reiterate that poliically correctness has nothing to do with asses using a term to be an ass makes them an ass... However i the. Noticed that politically correctness wa sin the title.

Baaaad misleading title, baaaaaad.

Sol Omega likes this

I WAS going to reiterate that poliically correctness has nothing to do with asses using a term to be an ass makes them an ass... However i the. Noticed that politically correctness wa sin the title.

Baaaad misleading title, baaaaaad.

The title isn't misleading if you bothered to read Yahtzee's article and saw that the root of this issue is censorship. But people would rather jump on soapbox to proclaim how horrible internet trolls are, because it's a safe opinion and they get a warm, fuzzy feeling from sitting on the moral high ground.