• Welcome to the Angry Joe Show Army!

Join our community of gamers passionate about our community and our hobby! Whether it's playing, discussing, or watching games, regardless of platform, genre, or location, we have a place for you, always!

• PS4 Forum

The AJSA Playstation 4 Division: Game Nights and More!

The AJSA is on Playstation 4! Join us for weekly Game Nights with a selection of the best games the PS4 has to offer!

• XBO Forum

The AJSA Xbox One Division: We Got You Covered!

The AJSA Xbox One Division is ready to connect with you on XBox Live with a ton of events for the best Xbox games!

• News Archive

The Best News from the Best Sites, Every Week.

The AJSA News Collection Team is hard at work condensing a week's worth of news into one giant-sze digest for you to chew on and discuss! Links to source articles are always provided!

• More Info

The AJSA Expeditionary Force: Deploying to Play the Best PC Games!

The elite vanguard of the AJSA, the Expeditionary Force (EF) chooses a new PC game every week! Join us for weekly events and help decide if the game has a future in the AJSA.

• The Team

Streaming Now: The AJSA Stream Team

Joe can't stream every game, but our talented AJSA Stream Team covers a wide variety of games and personalities! Check them out, and show them some AJSA Love!

• The Tube

The AJSA Community YouTube Channel

Featuring news, gameplay clips, and more from the community! The Community is a chance to showcase the best moments in AJSA Gaming!

GhostCurry

Let's Organize Shall We?

Are you wiling to spend countlesss hours on a project that may very well fail?   14 members have voted

1. 1. Can you commit to development and be ready to put the hours in?

• Yes
    • No

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

21 posts in this topic

While looking over the forum, I've noticed a lack of a defined leadership. Some scattered devs are kina off and doing their own thing. I think that If we are going to go through with something as ambitious a creating a video game(s), we must be well organized to do so. The first step in this is get more people active on the forums and start talking with each other, if only to introduce ourselves and feel more comfortable discussing projects/ideas with each other.

The purpose of the next few polls is to get a general idea on the forums of how we would build a game and the actual amount of interest in the community to do so. We should be asking ourselves things like, will we be building from the top to bottom or bottom to top? Will we use an engine already in existence such as the Unity or Unreal engines or something custom? The Angry Engine? What genre will be start with? What platform will be build for? How will we begin development? How about the business end of things? Where do we even start with that? Who will we put in charge of that? What will the billing model be for the game?  

I noticed that there was already a poll made a while back that asked who would be interested in making a video game. I'd like to re-submit that poll and ask that only those who believe that they will be able to help push development.

I know I may be sounding like I'm taking this too seriously, but we all know what happens if you go into a project half-cocked and not be able to follow through. One day, I'd love to see this forum become a riot of activity and bring our own vision of gaming to the industry!

Doctor_GLaDOS and Eiousx like this

I'm not a dev myself but I have few things to say in this topic.

In my opinion the best way to start making a new game is to mod an existing one.

And don't get me wrong, best ideas are made this way.

Source Engine provides very nice environment to create First person games,

You may start as Half life 2 mod and end up developping full time-standalone title.

Example: http://store.steampowered.com/app/224260/

I Hope I didn't misinterpreted the subject of this topic.

I'm currently working on a portal 2 map set in angryjoeshow theme.

GhostCurry likes this

Not at all, after all, we have to start somewhere. We just need to garner interest and get goin' a bit. Any other ides in modding specifically of where to start?

Doctor_GLaDOS likes this

Like i said Source engine is a good start.

With an organized team you can make impressing games.

And even monetize your effort, thought of course it should not be the goal.                 you monster

Example: http://store.steampowered.com/app/280740/?l=polish

Sorry for Portal only examples and ideas but it's kind of where I live.

If we do decide to move with Source, we just then needs to come up with our first project. Something simply to start with, then work our way up.

Doctor_GLaDOS likes this

Multiplayer game: Angry Warfare

Teams: Corporation vs Angry Army

Type of game: Capture the point, Defend the fort

Gameplay CTP: Teams have to capture game studios and a final main base of the enemy team to win.

Gameplay DF: Angry Army/ Corporation have to storm the enemy main base to win.

Note: When the studio in CTP is captured by Corporate it produces awesome games like Sonic Freeriders or War z,

When the studio in CTP is capture by Angry Army it produces games like Dragon age, Guild wars 2 or the Witcher.

What is needed to make it:

-C++ programmer

-3D Modeler

-Texture artist

-Map designer

-Dev team leader.

Of the roles you listed, which do you believe that you could fill? I guess we should try some recruiting. I hope that we can catch some eyes with at least an idea for now.

Doctor_GLaDOS likes this

My Programing knowlage ends on Hello world and calculator.

With level design, well.

Everybody knows how to use chisel and hammer or brush and paint, but there are few great sculptors or painters.

Same analogy for me. I know how to use hammer editor, I have made maps with it but they are not even close to be called masterpieces.

But if you are talking about basic map geometry and world scripting than you have a man.

My programming knowledge goes a bit farther than that, but if I'm being honest, I'm just meh. There's always more to learn and I'm on the lower end of the spectrum at this time. So technically we are a programmer and map designer. So we need to find a modeler/texture artist and a coordinator. I know a couple artists, but not sure about a strong leader. If we do go through with this and need to delegate a leader, I think we should have someone who is willing to learn bits and pieces of each other position or already knows about a few of them so we always kinda know where in development where we're at. 

//Ghost Curry

#include<iostream>

#include<string>

using namespace std;

int main()

{

char star = "*";

cout << "Hello World" << endl << endl;

star.assign("*", 25);

cout <<  star << "Let's hope we don't epic fail!" << star;

return 0;

}

Doctor_GLaDOS likes this

You don't need to repeat endl.

Source Engine source code: https://github.com/ValveSoftware/source-sdk-2013

Hight rez texture's can be used from CS:S for most of the areas.

Models can be imported from blender, cinema 4D and few other programs.

Animations can be ported from default half life 2 characters, (I have never done it before).

For the start I recommend using default weapons and entity's.

Not to be a downer but the suggested game project is way too difficult and way too much to do for it to ever reach completion. I have seen this scenario before over and over. If you want to make something that you can finish then I highly suggest not making it a multiplayer game. While I do like the idea of an angry joe themed game multiplayer is outside of our capabilities. Maybe not capabilities but it would take too long to make and when that happens everyone starts to leave and/or push it off. This does not mean that we could not make this game some time in the future but for now I would start very simple and move up from there much like an artist starts with very basic sketching before making a Mona Lisa.

Speaking of starting simple. The next ludum dare is this weekend. It is a competition in which you need to make a game in a certain amount of time with the given theme. It would be great practice especially if we entered the jam and worked as a team. It would also let us know how much we can accomplish in given time.

I like the idea but from my perspective you are wrong.

Source engine provides already working multiplayer, we would need a coder only to code some required entitys and scripts.

It still falls in "Starting small" area. From a basic mod with default weapons and most of the models to a full time game.

Hello!

I haven't been here in a while.

I, too, think that what Doctor_Glados suggests sounds great but is too large in scope. Yes, in Source you can just base your project off of an existing project as a mod and get progress very quickly, but there is still lots of work to make it more than just a slight change to an existing product. For one, 3D models take way longer to create than 2D art.

I think doing Ludum Dare is the way to go. It only takes 3 days at most (if you are doing the jam). So, really only a single weekend is lost by trying.

I would gladly collaborate in the next Ludum Dare. I have done 3 LD's in the past, took a break for a bit, but want to get into it again.

I have some promising projects but no time/assets to make them live. Most of them have significant work in unity.

I'm afraid they will never see the light of day...

I would be unable to reliably participate in a jam this weekend, but if the rest of you guys would like to follow through on it, I think it would help us get to know each other a bit better and see if it's even possible for us to work with each other. 

Let's discuss more on a first or warm up project. We could try going as basic as possible. We would just need to approach each area as such. From a programming standpoint, a text-based, or point-and-click may be the easiest. This way we could use simple static backgrounds, won't have to worry about VOs or anything like that, music could likely be easier to implement, simpler game design. Of course we could try something a little more substantial. What do you guys think?

Let's discuss more on a first or warm up project. We could try going as basic as possible. We would just need to approach each area as such. From a programming standpoint, a text-based, or point-and-click may be the easiest. This way we could use simple static backgrounds, won't have to worry about VOs or anything like that, music could likely be easier to implement, simpler game design. Of course we could try something a little more substantial. What do you guys think?

I am totally in on the point click adventure type of game, however it does require a lot of art so perhaps we should do one with a very simple art style (not too much detail). For a simple game like that we don't need a whole game engine. We could simply use something such as SFML, Slick2D, or Love. As for SFML; I know that some of you may not want to program in C++, however I can add a scripting language called ChaiScript if needed. Programming aside a point and click game is mostly art, sound and level design (layout and puzzles if any) focused so we would definitely need those 3 things covered.

Sorry that I did not respond more quickly I was busy with finals and travel.

If we do decide to move with Source, we just then needs to come up with our first project. Something simply to start with, then work our way up.

If you ultimately do decide to make something with the Source Engine make sure to message me, I'd Looove to participate! I have a 5 Year experience in its Mapping & texture tools "Hammer editor", "VTFedit". Yet i have never pumped out a Mod or Game lol, working alone is such a dragg :DB):P

I ultimately find the Source engine very easy to modify, since its not that new of an engine. (It has working multiplayer and singleplayer templates ready for modders or devs use) It'd indeed be a good "Warmup" project for anyone trying to get into this. With a team of 5 - 10 people, each doing something per week on spar time (or full time), we'd have a alpha or even something complete (Alpha game) done by a month or less. And the source engine is heavily moddible to suit our needs and still looks pretty good for what it is.

Even though it requires a bit more effort and time than 2D projects, it all depends on how far people wanna go with this, from simple reskins to new models etc... I suggest you dev's try and make something ambitious with Source instead of other more complicated engines like UDK, And instead of  a 2D game. After all a 3D game is another reality than a 2D one.

If there is someone that could organise such project count me in for mapping.

If you ultimately do decide to make something with the Source Engine make sure to message me, I'd Looove to participate! I have a 5 Year experience in its Mapping & texture tools "Hammer editor", "VTFedit". Yet i have never pumped out a Mod or Game lol, working alone is such a dragg :DB):P

I ultimately find the Source engine very easy to modify, since its not that new of an engine. (It has working multiplayer and singleplayer templates ready for modders or devs use) It'd indeed be a good "Warmup" project for anyone trying to get into this. With a team of 5 - 10 people, each doing something per week on spar time (or full time), we'd have a alpha or even something complete (Alpha game) done by a month or less. And the source engine is heavily moddible to suit our needs and still looks pretty good for what it is.

Even though it requires a bit more effort and time than 2D projects, it all depends on how far people wanna go with this, from simple reskins to new models etc... I suggest you dev's try and make something ambitious with Source instead of other more complicated engines like UDK, And instead of  a 2D game. After all a 3D game is another reality than a 2D one.

A problem that exists for specifically source engine is that unless you make a mod of one of their existing games you need to buy a license from valve. This essentially would restrict us to making only half life, counter strike, team fortress, portal, and dota mods (I probably did not include all games).

PS: If you want to maybe we could play dota together sometime.

I'm a bit new to the community but I've ran a couple mod projects and an indie dev project. Sadly the two mod projects fell apart (people having to leave and too large of project scope) and the indie project is currently on hold, but I do have some decent experience. In any case, I was considering starting something up to mod DOTA 2 and had some ideas bouncing around but if there was interest I would be interestered in helping to head something up.