• Welcome to the Angry Joe Show Army!

Join our community of gamers passionate about our community and our hobby! Whether it's playing, discussing, or watching games, regardless of platform, genre, or location, we have a place for you, always!

• PS4 Forum

The AJSA Playstation 4 Division: Game Nights and More!

The AJSA is on Playstation 4! Join us for weekly Game Nights with a selection of the best games the PS4 has to offer!

• XBO Forum

The AJSA Xbox One Division: We Got You Covered!

The AJSA Xbox One Division is ready to connect with you on XBox Live with a ton of events for the best Xbox games!

• News Archive

The Best News from the Best Sites, Every Week.

The AJSA News Collection Team is hard at work condensing a week's worth of news into one giant-sze digest for you to chew on and discuss! Links to source articles are always provided!

• More Info

The AJSA Expeditionary Force: Deploying to Play the Best PC Games!

The elite vanguard of the AJSA, the Expeditionary Force (EF) chooses a new PC game every week! Join us for weekly events and help decide if the game has a future in the AJSA.

• The Team

Streaming Now: The AJSA Stream Team

Joe can't stream every game, but our talented AJSA Stream Team covers a wide variety of games and personalities! Check them out, and show them some AJSA Love!

• The Tube

The AJSA Community YouTube Channel

Featuring news, gameplay clips, and more from the community! The Community is a chance to showcase the best moments in AJSA Gaming!

TheSkrullReviewer

Movie Licensed games! what went wrong?

23 posts in this topic

Hey everyone

I think we can all agree that Movie games have this reputation of sucking major ass! For those who are old enough (ye i'm only 19, but i started gaming when i was young so sush >:C) movie games used to be good, from what i remember. I still remember the Harry Potter games to be good, the disney games and heck i think everyone knows about the Spider-Man 2 movie game. So what happened? did the industry just get so greedy, or are all the ideas just gone?

Sincerely, Jens

I think the issue is that now a days the value of what makes more money is more important to triple A industry then quality. Now granted I don't mean this for every triple A industry but im sure some of them would rather get money then make a good quality. As a certain someone once say'd their business model is "xxxx you give us money!"

Movie based games were bad more often than not all along, they were not good "back then". An easy good check is the company LJN, but they are not the exception. Ghostbusters, terminator, and many comic based games were traumatizingly bad too, oh and simpsons (arcade game was good though).

RavenKitsune likes this

i started gaming on the NES and commodore 64 many many years ago, trust me, movie games have always been bad. It is nothing new, not by a long shot.

RavenKitsune likes this

Movie licensed games suck cause they're only there to promote the films and are rushy developed and released to meet a deadline to come out just before or right after the film and not given much effort. Now like with everything there's exceptions like South Park SoT, or Matrix PoN (which I enjoyed.)

CrazycolinPro likes this

movie games used to be good, from what i remember.

No. I've been playing games since before you were born, they used to be even worse. Even if a game now is bad it is usually at least playable which is more than what could be said for some of the older movie licensed games.

We have gotten some good and some really good movie licensed games but those have always been the exception.

Games specifically made to capitalize on a movie release are usually crap. Most of the Star Wars games I play are an example of what you can get when you make a game based off an established franchise but meant to capitalize on its own merit rather than whatever the latest hype is.

die hard trilogy 1996 - best movie game ever to have been made hands down.

ho ho ho i got a machine gun!

take this gay gay!

No turkey? It's christmas!

No the best movie licensed game ever is E.T 10/10 best game ever totally.. XD Jokes aside I thought E.T was fun.

Movie license games have always been a crap shoot. I played the E.T. video game on my Atari 2600 a few years after it came out. (Yea, I'm old). So no, this isn't a "back in the day" situation. It's a "some studios take their franchises more seriously than others" situation. In fact, E.T. was SO BAD that many consider it the reason that gaming, especially the Atari 2600, took such a commercial beating in 1983.

No the best movie licensed game ever is E.T 10/10 best game ever totally.. XD Jokes aside I thought E.T was fun.

The game that caused the industry to crash was fun? 

The game that caused the industry to crash was fun? 

I didn't even notice someone had mentioned E.T. already, but I seriously hope they're being sarcastic.

I think they have, and always will be, RUSHED! Games like Shadow of Mordor weren't RUSHED to come out at the same time as LOTR or The Hobbit movies, and look at how great that was! Any game that tries to somewhat follow the story of the movie, has to come out around the time of the movie, and start being made once the movie starts. Making a video game in the same time of making a movie is a totally different story. 

Plus, movies are generally 3 hours at most. A 3 hour game is TOTALLY unacceptable in almost any way shape or form. So the game company has to create the game to follow a story that was recently created, and then add fluff to the game to increase run time.

A well thought out plot created by the developers in a universe of a movie will ALWAYS turn out better than a game being made to follow a new movie (hell, it doesn't have to be new, just look at Rambo).

I'm no game developer though, this is just something I've thought about before. Good question though haha :)

I think they have, and always will be, RUSHED! Games like Shadow of Mordor weren't RUSHED to come out at the same time as LOTR or The Hobbit movies, and look at how great that was! Any game that tries to somewhat follow the story of the movie, has to come out around the time of the movie, and start being made once the movie starts. Making a video game in the same time of making a movie is a totally different story. 

Plus, movies are generally 3 hours at most. A 3 hour game is TOTALLY unacceptable in almost any way shape or form. So the game company has to create the game to follow a story that was recently created, and then add fluff to the game to increase run time.

A well thought out plot created by the developers in a universe of a movie will ALWAYS turn out better than a game being made to follow a new movie (hell, it doesn't have to be new, just look at Rambo).

I'm no game developer though, this is just something I've thought about before. Good question though haha :)

Cost plays into it, too.

Video games, especially AAA games, cost upwards of $50 or more, depending on how they package and sell the various parts of the game, i.e. DLC.

A movie theater ticket typically costs around $15.

And even then, movies that cost $15 to see in a theater aren't worth those $15 at all.

The whole concept of it is the problem. It's meant to cash off of the success of something else. There is little to no room for creativity for these crap. The devs are limited by the license property in terms of characters/story/setting and by the movie release date for the gameplay development. It's just a recipe for disaster. If something good did come out of it it's mostly likely by complete fluke. 

The whole concept of it is the problem. It's meant to cash off of the success of something else. There is little to no room for creativity for these crap. The devs are limited by the license property in terms of characters/story/setting and by the movie release date for the gameplay development. It's just a recipe for disaster. If something good did come out of it it's mostly likely by complete fluke. 

The first two Spider-Man Movie games were pretty good. They loosely followed the movie's plot.

The X-Men Origins: Wolverine game was also solid, and it didn't follow the movie closely if at all.

This is why, as an example, Alien: Isolation was so good (IMHO). It helps to expand on the lore rather than trying to mimic or copy an already established storyline. I've noticed that movie license games that do this, expand the lore, tend to be slightly better. There's always exceptions to the rules, obviously.

Is everything an option to choose? THe concept itself is flawed.

I'd actually disagree on that. If the concept was flawed, nobody would have bought into it in the first place. 

Think about, you watch an awesome movie, then you get the chance to immerse yourself and actually BE these characters. As a concept, it's appealing and full of potential and easy to market. The problems that cause the games to be of low quality started right near the beginning with E.T. (I think we all know the story by now) and whilst E.T. was an extreme example, but the same issues still come up today. If anything the concept is so appealing that the powers that be think they can sell these games without actually putting that much effort into them compared to other games of the same genre.

Yeah honestly I've been playing videogames myself for like 25 years now and I'd say the ratio of movie-based games that are GOOD are far far better nowdays than they were before. They're still noticeably less likely to be good in general IMO, but back in the day their suck factor used to be all but guaranteed.

Yeah honestly I've been playing videogames myself for like 25 years now and I'd say the ratio of movie-based games that are GOOD are far far better nowdays than they were before. They're still noticeably less likely to be good in general IMO, but back in the day their suck factor used to be all but guaranteed.

I've been playing video games for about the same span of time, and I still think it's a random draw, TBH. Half are good, half are shitty. But I get where you're coming from. I think it could be attributed to the almost lightning speed progression of video game graphics and production. I mean, video games have been out for what? 40 years or so? And we've gone from simplistic movable pixels on a solid color background to photo-realistic characters and settings.

Companies think that people will get the game just because it has our favorite characters on them...

As if people didn't learn anything from the TMNT in the 90s...