• Welcome to the Angry Joe Show Army!

Join our community of gamers passionate about our community and our hobby! Whether it's playing, discussing, or watching games, regardless of platform, genre, or location, we have a place for you, always!

• PS4 Forum

The AJSA Playstation 4 Division: Game Nights and More!

The AJSA is on Playstation 4! Join us for weekly Game Nights with a selection of the best games the PS4 has to offer!

• XBO Forum

The AJSA Xbox One Division: We Got You Covered!

The AJSA Xbox One Division is ready to connect with you on XBox Live with a ton of events for the best Xbox games!

• News Archive

The Best News from the Best Sites, Every Week.

The AJSA News Collection Team is hard at work condensing a week's worth of news into one giant-sze digest for you to chew on and discuss! Links to source articles are always provided!

• More Info

The AJSA Expeditionary Force: Deploying to Play the Best PC Games!

The elite vanguard of the AJSA, the Expeditionary Force (EF) chooses a new PC game every week! Join us for weekly events and help decide if the game has a future in the AJSA.

• The Team

Streaming Now: The AJSA Stream Team

Joe can't stream every game, but our talented AJSA Stream Team covers a wide variety of games and personalities! Check them out, and show them some AJSA Love!

• The Tube

The AJSA Community YouTube Channel

Featuring news, gameplay clips, and more from the community! The Community is a chance to showcase the best moments in AJSA Gaming!

Lossar

Texture pop-in across all games, any suggestions?

16 posts in this topic

So, we recently got a new computer in the house! It seemed to be running games fine at first, but after some time i started noticing that all textures that weren't right in my characters face would "pop in" as I explored the games i was playing. This is a problem in Fallout 3, Brutal Legend, and Goat Simulator of all things. I have also noticed it a bi in CS:GO but not as frequent. So my question is: what could cause this problem and how do i fix it?

Specs:
GPU: XFX R7 260x
CPU: AMD A8 6600k
Motherboard: Gigabyte FM2+ GA-F2A78m-D3H
PSU: Cooler Master B500 500W
RAM: Hyperx Fury 8gb DDR3
Kingston 120gb SSD

All drivers are up to date

You could running the ganes at settings the gpu is struggling to cope with. Have you tried lowering them down and/or running the games at a lower resolution?

This is usually an issue with the game in question, it could also be related to the cards VRAM I know some 260x cards only have 1GB. 

I have a card with 2gb of Vram, And i have tried lowering the resolution and settings, did not help unfortunately. However, i tested some more games and found out that ofFireandstone is probably right, its the games themselves :P

Thanks for the help, guys!

I have a card with 2gb of Vram, And i have tried lowering the resolution and settings, did not help unfortunately. However, i tested some more games and found out that ofFireandstone is probably right, its the games themselves :P

Thanks for the help, guys!

Simple way to test if you're game will have "pop in"

Is it released, or is it slated to be released on consoles?"

If yes,

Your game will have "pop in"

If no,

Bath in the glory that is the PC Mustard Race

:P

Puntosmx and Lossar like this

Tested some more games, I again think there is something wrong since almost every 3d game i play has this issue.

Could it possibly be faulty hardware? From what i understand, I would have bigger problems than textures popping in if that was the case, but then again I don't know for sure. I am also currently using a TV as a monitor, could that be a factor?

If it's a TV, you might want to check to see how much VRAM is being used.

Things like MSI Afterburner or EVGA Precision would help to monitor the video card(s).

Lossar likes this

Allright, got afterburner installed. One quick question before i proceed, is it normal for the mem clock to fluxuate? Mine keeps fluxuating from 150mhz blank to 1250mhz blank. Temperature rests at 25-30 degrees celsius.

Allright, got afterburner installed. One quick question before i proceed, is it normal for the mem clock to fluxuate? Mine keeps fluxuating from 150mhz blank to 1250mhz blank. Temperature rests at 25-30 degrees celsius.

Yes. Both AMD and Nvidia dynamically adjust the GPU and Mem clock to conserve power. Keep an eye on it during game play. If it's [GPU or Mem] fluctuating then that's likely why you're having 'pop in'.

Allright, I'll finish up my schoolwork and test some games with afterburner running. Thanks a lot man, i recently joined the glorious PC master race and I am quite new at this, so I appreciate all the help!

Heyyo,

Make sure your SSD's are running latest firmware updates please.

Fallout? Due to how large the open world is? It'll have texture popping. It's just due to how large the world is and your rendering range or the trilinear vs Antisoptic filtering settings.

If you're running Windows 7? Make sure you have Service Pack 1 and all windows updates please.

Lossar and Puntosmx like this

Heyyo,

Make sure your SSD's are running latest firmware updates please.

Fallout? Due to how large the open world is? It'll have texture popping. It's just due to how large the world is and your rendering range or the trilinear vs Antisoptic filtering settings.

If you're running Windows 7? Make sure you have Service Pack 1 and all windows updates please.

Oh dear lord, I did not have all the updates, how could I forget >_<

Now, about SSD firmware, I did not know that was a thing, but I will take a look at that. Thanks!

UPDATE: There were no updates available, seems like I already had the newest firmware, so I got that going for me, which is nice :D

Just ran an MSI test while playing Batman Arkham City, optimized for performance. Both my GPU clock and mem clock ran as high as the stock settings would allow. No jumping up and down. Is it possible that I am complaining over a problem that is not the fault of anything, just the sum of my computer parts? :S

Anyway, updating to W7 Service Pack 1 seems to have helped the problem. It also allowed me to run a memtest, which my PC passed.

ThE_MarD likes this

If you ever do do a SSD Firmware update, make sure you back up first...never trust a storage drive firmware update :P

If you ever do do a SSD Firmware update, make sure you back up first...never trust a storage drive firmware update :P

Haha, I'll keep that in mind mate, thank you :P

Heyyo,

Glad that SP1 helped you out! :)

Firmware updates for storage devices have been around a long time. Same goes for GPUs and HDDs. Sometimes they fix minor issues or larger ones. There's a few GTX 970s that have a firmware update to fix the fan idle modes that a few manufacturers implemented into their GPUs.

Some people have gone as far as for multi-GPU setups to flash the BIOS on the GPUs to the same version.. but it is risky, that or modified BIOSes to unlock the voltage multipliers and such too but that's dangerous as it voids your warranty and can brick a GPU... so... I wouldn't do it on the GPU unless it was an officially supported fix from the manufacturer and you followed their instructions.

In the history of doing updates on the BIOS? I've only had one fail on me for a motherboard.. but I kinda figured the mobo was defective before attempting it (it was the reason for the attempted bios update) but it was an official bios update and so I sent it for warranty replacement.