• Welcome to the Angry Joe Show Army!

Join our community of gamers passionate about our community and our hobby! Whether it's playing, discussing, or watching games, regardless of platform, genre, or location, we have a place for you, always!

• PS4 Forum

The AJSA Playstation 4 Division: Game Nights and More!

The AJSA is on Playstation 4! Join us for weekly Game Nights with a selection of the best games the PS4 has to offer!

• XBO Forum

The AJSA Xbox One Division: We Got You Covered!

The AJSA Xbox One Division is ready to connect with you on XBox Live with a ton of events for the best Xbox games!

• News Archive

The Best News from the Best Sites, Every Week.

The AJSA News Collection Team is hard at work condensing a week's worth of news into one giant-sze digest for you to chew on and discuss! Links to source articles are always provided!

• More Info

The AJSA Expeditionary Force: Deploying to Play the Best PC Games!

The elite vanguard of the AJSA, the Expeditionary Force (EF) chooses a new PC game every week! Join us for weekly events and help decide if the game has a future in the AJSA.

• The Team

Streaming Now: The AJSA Stream Team

Joe can't stream every game, but our talented AJSA Stream Team covers a wide variety of games and personalities! Check them out, and show them some AJSA Love!

• The Tube

The AJSA Community YouTube Channel

Featuring news, gameplay clips, and more from the community! The Community is a chance to showcase the best moments in AJSA Gaming!

RavenKitsune

Pokemon story should it be serious or light hearted?

9 posts in this topic

Hello my fellow comrades in arms I have recently finished the delta episode for the new pokemon games and it made me reflect on like how the stories have been shaped over the years. How much more depth the characters are being given and I personally love this. I find it interesting how it is like showed and presented to be a kids game but has a lot of interesting lore if you go and look for it. But with this it brings the topic of should  it continue this path?  What do you think should pokemon continue this route of more serious and interesting stories because stories are awesome and it makes it more impressive. Or no it shouldn't be so deep since its marketed to kids. 

Few things I do want to mention I would put my experience with the delta story but in my opinion I would rather not spoil it I think it should be experienced and if you don't like it well hey maybe it just didn't touch you like it did me and that's completely fine we all have a favorite story and delta just happened to be one of my favorites.

Along with this I do want to mention just because I say pokemon is marketed toward kids obviously doesn't mean I am saying its for kids but in the end im going with what the market target audience is morely geared for. 

I haven't played the newest versions yet but X/Y story was pretty damn serious. It actually gives you a reason to not like the villain and his minions rather than the game saying they are bad guys. Also that story about the king and his pokemon was so damn sad it got me right in the feels.

I like that they added some more character development to make the story more engaging and hope they continue to do so

Pokemon needs to become more serious imo.

I understand they still want to retain the kids age group, but none of the more recent games' plots have any real weight to them (in my eyes).
Even in the most recent one, despite the fact that the world was ending, you never really felt in any danger, or felt any suspense.

Sort of kills the story for me, really.

Pokemon needs to become more serious imo.

I understand they still want to retain the kids age group, but none of the more recent games' plots have any real weight to them (in my eyes).

Even in the most recent one, despite the fact that the world was ending, you never really felt in any danger, or felt any suspense.

Sort of kills the story for me, really.

Same here, although the world was ending, we all knew everything was going to turn out fine. And Pokemon doesn't need to be dark like, more blood, adult themes or anything like that. But I would like it to tackle harder subjects. Betrayal, loss, death, sacrifice, and other things that could make for an interesting story that teaches kids that things don't always turn out perfect.

Like say perhaps your friend joins the new enemy team and becomes an antagonistic force? That would be interesting. Also this is just a fun fact but if you beat ORAS without getting the bike your character still rides the bike regardless. How'd she/he get it steal XD?

Like say perhaps your friend joins the new enemy team and becomes an antagonistic force? That would be interesting. Also this is just a fun fact but if you beat ORAS without getting the bike your character still rides the bike regardless. How'd she/he get it steal XD?

Maybe not joining an enemy team but maybe something like forcing you (because plot) to give up a member of your team near the game's end. It involves saying goodbye to something you care about but in a cheerful/sad way. A good lesson IMO.

I do like it but ehh I can see some issues raising from them at least in my mind. Like what if the pokemon you had to give up was a rare perfect iv and ev'ed lvl1 shiny dratini? I'd be like nunuh you aint getting my dratini hell no. *throws the pc boxes full of other pokemon I don't care about* XD Take them.

Personally, I think it would be a great idea if Gamefreak kept both ideas of seriousness and light-heartedness in mind for future games. Although I loved the Delta Episode and the Black/White series of games because there was actual lore and mysteries involved, Pokemon at it's core should have a fun feel to it. Fun in the sense that all Nintendo games aren't quite serious but you have a good time playing them. That's the beauty of ORAS and the Delta Episode. There are light hearted times such as, per say, teaching Wally the basics of Pokemon Training at the start of the game, as well as more intense times like rushing to the top of Sky Pillar to get Rayquaza to destroy the incoming meteor, or travelling deep underground to encounter Kyogre/Groudon from destroying Hoenn. No matter what direction they take, I'll still play the games, but if they continue on the road their going on I only see the games improving over time.