• Welcome to the Angry Joe Show Army!

Join our community of gamers passionate about our community and our hobby! Whether it's playing, discussing, or watching games, regardless of platform, genre, or location, we have a place for you, always!

• PS4 Forum

The AJSA Playstation 4 Division: Game Nights and More!

The AJSA is on Playstation 4! Join us for weekly Game Nights with a selection of the best games the PS4 has to offer!

• XBO Forum

The AJSA Xbox One Division: We Got You Covered!

The AJSA Xbox One Division is ready to connect with you on XBox Live with a ton of events for the best Xbox games!

• News Archive

The Best News from the Best Sites, Every Week.

The AJSA News Collection Team is hard at work condensing a week's worth of news into one giant-sze digest for you to chew on and discuss! Links to source articles are always provided!

• More Info

The AJSA Expeditionary Force: Deploying to Play the Best PC Games!

The elite vanguard of the AJSA, the Expeditionary Force (EF) chooses a new PC game every week! Join us for weekly events and help decide if the game has a future in the AJSA.

• The Team

Streaming Now: The AJSA Stream Team

Joe can't stream every game, but our talented AJSA Stream Team covers a wide variety of games and personalities! Check them out, and show them some AJSA Love!

• The Tube

The AJSA Community YouTube Channel

Featuring news, gameplay clips, and more from the community! The Community is a chance to showcase the best moments in AJSA Gaming!

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Seviteal

Regarding Amiibos

11 posts in this topic

Good day all,

This is a topic I've been rolling around in my head since...well since amiibos came out really. I as well as probably most of you am having trouble collecting the amiibos that I have interest in. We all know why; the amiibo 'scarcity'. For a while now I've been looking online for word from Nintendo about their response to many consumers complaints about amiibo 'scarcity'. Needless to say Nintendo is taking a Valve approach to their PR and telling us as little as possible.

Recently Nintendo passed 5.7 million amiibos sold worldwide. This is not something that I champion or applaud because of how anti-consumer Nintendo has been with these amiibos to all of us.

Some of you might think "well how is it anti-consumer?" As one person put it on the My Nintendo News website, "they are just collectibles". My response which can be found on the same website follows:

"They’re anti-consumer because Nintendo is creating a false scarcity to attempt to push sales for products people actually didn't want in the first place.

It’s safe to assume many of you want to collect a vast number of amiibos. But unless you’re planning on collecting all of them, there must be a few you've no interest in.

However this probably changed when Nintendo announced that certain amiibo would have a limited number released initially.

That Wii Fit Trainer basically no one except collectors cared about? Let me guess, some of you didn't give two sh*ts about her. So why are you so interested now?

Because she’s rare. Because Nintendo has a ‘limited stock’… because reasons. This is the false scarcity of amiibo products at work. Because these figures are rare, it creates a mad dash for these figures, before they’re ‘sold out’.

It doesn't matter what it is, as long as it’s rare, people will go a length to buy it. As we’re seeing these days, wave 3 pre-orders are sold out at least a month before it hit the shelves. The same is going to happen to wave 4, and every other wave (because they’re ‘rare’) until Nintendo actually keeps them in stock at a reasonable number.

And this is how it’s anti-consumer. Nintendo has plenty of money to keep amiibo in stock, to keep us from paying scalpers or foreign markets more money then we should have to. But they don’t need to and they don’t want to. Why? Because the false scarcity they've created is making the shelves empty and the pre-orders full, and that’s what matters to them apparently."

Something that highlights this for me is the fact that Nintendo isn't responding to any of our complaints or questions (besides Kotaku) but announces to the world when they've sold 5.7 million worldwide. A curious tactic considering most of us are reasonably peeved about their business practices with amiibos yet they want us to pat them on the back for a job well done involving false scarcity.

As you're aware, I resent these practices. It may be making Nintendo more money, but it's losing Nintendo their good faith they've earned from their customers; why any company would choose to step on the brakes of the hype train and trade good faith for money I won't understand; and in Nintendo's case, after a poor Wii U release and even the hard core fans starting to leave, the Wii U Renaissance was exactly what they needed and amiibo scarcity threatens to derail it.

I look forward to your thoughts on it. (If you've read this far.)

Honestly who knows what Nintendo is think of half of the time because they could make a lot more money if they just make more of the amiibos and scalpers don't help the situation any better. It kinda reminds of when play station didn't make enough memory cards ( for the PS2) at one point. That was a headache and a half.

I've heard of the PlayStation memory card incident. One would hope that Nintendo would've researched past 'scarcity' attempts by other game companies and the effect they had before trying it today. Maybe they did, but decided to do this anyways. *shrugs*

I can never understand Nintendo sometimes. I really can't.

If you guys want to know, here's what I've collected.

Wave 1: Link, Yoshi, Marth, Fox, Samus, Mario, Peach, Donkey Kong, Pikachu, Kirby, Wii Fit Trainer

Wave 2: Luigi, Diddy Kong, Zelda, Pit, Little Mac, Capt. Falcon

But when it comes to some, scalpers will take advantage and have them set at ridiculous bullshit prices. I call it absurd in more ways than one. Same can be said for exclusives. Ditch the exclusivity garbage and make it available for everyone.

I myself am not looking to get all of them but i am only interested in ones that i consider sentimental value due to memories such as Little Mac (punch out being my dads favorite nes game and watching him at age 6 get whooped by tyson) ,Kirby, Yoshi (my wifes favorite nintendo guy), Samus (metriod being my 1st nes game). I do want Lucario and Mega Man but i wish nintendo would just sell them directly instead of at the stores since it is one of their products.

This seems to be a problem that only exist in america... here in switzerland i can order any amiibo right now... and would have it before the end of the week...

This seems to be a problem that only exist in america... here in switzerland i can order any amiibo right now... and would have it before the end of the week...

same here on amazon.co.uk, pretty much can order any amiibo and they only cost around £10 each. if i wanted every amiibo, i could order them all from 1 online store.

however i wouldnt ever order anything like this anyway. i just want the games, cosmetic figures that give me extra stuff in a game simply to me are another form of DLC. i dont need the DLC, i just want the base game.

I've had no problem ordering my amiibo in Sweden but the do sell out quickly. 

same here on amazon.co.uk, pretty much can order any amiibo and they only cost around £10 each. if i wanted every amiibo, i could order them all from 1 online store.

however i wouldnt ever order anything like this anyway. i just want the games, cosmetic figures that give me extra stuff in a game simply to me are another form of DLC. i dont need the DLC, i just want the base game.

I bought one for a friend of mine and I have to say, they look amazing. Maybe I'll get one myself... but it's not high on my priority list.

I bought one for a friend of mine and I have to say, they look amazing. Maybe I'll get one myself... but it's not high on my priority list.

i guess if you want to collect them and have them on a display it would be pretty nice, but for a functional purpose, most of them are just for use currently in super smash bros i think.

I am new to the Wii U (only owned it for 2 days now), and I have already purchased two Amiibos (Bowser and Luigi), and Pre-ordered Mario Party w/Mario Amiibo, and the Toad Amiibo.

Side question why do we have like 8 (exaggeration) Fire Emblem characters in Smash Bros but we don't have Toad?