• Welcome to the Angry Joe Show Army!

Join our community of gamers passionate about our community and our hobby! Whether it's playing, discussing, or watching games, regardless of platform, genre, or location, we have a place for you, always!

• PS4 Forum

The AJSA Playstation 4 Division: Game Nights and More!

The AJSA is on Playstation 4! Join us for weekly Game Nights with a selection of the best games the PS4 has to offer!

• XBO Forum

The AJSA Xbox One Division: We Got You Covered!

The AJSA Xbox One Division is ready to connect with you on XBox Live with a ton of events for the best Xbox games!

• News Archive

The Best News from the Best Sites, Every Week.

The AJSA News Collection Team is hard at work condensing a week's worth of news into one giant-sze digest for you to chew on and discuss! Links to source articles are always provided!

• More Info

The AJSA Expeditionary Force: Deploying to Play the Best PC Games!

The elite vanguard of the AJSA, the Expeditionary Force (EF) chooses a new PC game every week! Join us for weekly events and help decide if the game has a future in the AJSA.

• The Team

Streaming Now: The AJSA Stream Team

Joe can't stream every game, but our talented AJSA Stream Team covers a wide variety of games and personalities! Check them out, and show them some AJSA Love!

• The Tube

The AJSA Community YouTube Channel

Featuring news, gameplay clips, and more from the community! The Community is a chance to showcase the best moments in AJSA Gaming!

Trisdino

Your favorite type of strategy games

212 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favorite?

• Turn based strategy
    • fast paced Rts
    • Short turn strategy
    • Tactical strategy
    • Semi-strategy
    • Medium paced Rts
    • Slow paced Rts
    • Grand strategy

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

72 posts in this topic

Strategy is a broad term, and as such, it comes in many flavors. Some people prefer their games slow and methodical, others like them fast and hectic. Feel free to discuss the pros and cons of the various types, but let us keep it civil

Turn based strategy: These are games that are, well, turn based. An example would be the civ series. Any game where you take turns is a tbs. That is, unless it's a..

Short turn strategy: These are almost identical to tbs's, but have very short turns. Most turn based strategy games with a time limit count. An example would be xcom

Fast paced rts: These are games which play in real time, and at a very high pace. They are also often very micro intensive. A well known example would be starcraft 1/2. 

Medium paced rts: These are rts games that play at a decently quick pace. They are also typically slightly bigger in scale then fast paced rts's, and have a mix of micro and macro. An example would be the battle for middle earth

Slow paced rts: These games are in many ways like the medium paced rts, but at a far larger scale. This is typically what makes them slower, as the maps are so big that it takes a while to even react. They often have little to no micro. A well known example would be supreme commander(1 and fa, 2 is medium paced)

Tactical strategy: These are rts's that take place on a very small scale, and focus almost entirely on units. They often have no base building whatsoever, and could almost be described as an action game, rather then a strategy. An example would be company of heroes

Semi-strategy: Despite what the name may imply, these are not in any way less tactical then other forms of strategy games. A semi-strategy game has aspects of both strategy and one of more other genres, more often then not rpg's. A well known example would be warcraft 3

Grand strategy: These games are slightly hard to describe. They take place on a huge scale, often spanning entire continents, of even planets, yet are nothing like a tbs. For while a tbs may take place over an entire planet, everything would be relatively scaled down. Grand strategies focus much more on politics and scheming then any other forms of strategy. They can be both turn based an real time, though they are typically so slow paced that you would not really notice the difference. An example would be crusader kings 2 

Renerade likes this

I prefer turn based. It just lets me think about what I'm doing and plan for what's coming, whereas in most RTS games I find myself panicking and just running aroung like a headless chicken.

TheMetalfreak360 likes this

Yeah, turn based is what I would expect most people to pick. Those RTS games are difficult to master whereas the turn based is easier to dive into and is more forgiving.

Go play xcom on classic and then come back and call turn based games forgiving... 

TaterPooh and PragmaticG like this

XCom is a different story, it's designed to be cruel. Imagine XCom on the Classic difficultly but being real time instead of turn based :) .

No matter how i imagine xcom, it is cruel

Zenedar likes this

Since I enjoy the micro aspect of it all a bit more I gotta go with fast paced rts for sure. Just something about splitting marines instantly to avoid banes and stuff in sc2 that makes me enjoy it so much more.

I really like turn based, and what I want to find is some real good RPG turn based games, but in strategy I like turn based as well, that is why I love games like Xcom and the Total War series. Total War makes use of turn based and the real time part, it is quite awesome. Shame about Rome 2 though...

But yeah, if you guys know of any really good turn based games, maybe some old-school games, then throw them my way in a form of a PM message :) Really want to check more games out that are in that genre.

Timkax2k likes this

i like both turn-based and real time strategy. But i didn't touch any of the newer ones. I mostly Play:

- Command and Conquer (when it was made by Westwood).

- Supreme Commander + Forged Alliance

- Star Wars Empire at War

- World in Conflict

- Sins of Solar Empire

- Civilization 4 and 5

- Silent Storm

i like turn based strategy games too but my favorite is rts (Age of Mythology da best)

Vexed Forest likes this

I enjoy fast RTS from time to time but my personal favorite is Grand Strategy games like Total War - Crusader Kings 2 and Europa Universalis 4. Turn based ,my favorite is X-com so far.

In truth i like almost all strategy games rts and turn based games there all fun like civilization or the red alert games or like im playing now war games no matter how it is i love playing them but if i had to pick its rts it forces you to really think and keep your cool in the chaos of a battle field it forces you to be smart quickly and see if you hold the line or get run over not saying turn based cant be just as fun if your  opponent is good enough he can lead you into a trap and flank you in one swift move because he used the time at hand to plan better and smarter then you all and all strategy games and one of my fav to play 

Turn based i say is the best because... well #civ5  :D

(please dont kill me  :rolleyes:

Timkax2k likes this

I actually find turn based hard. Not sure why, but I just suck at them.

Medium paced RTS for me.

While I liked RTS's like Star Wars: Empire at War and one of the Supreme Commander games [i borrowed it, and can't remember which one it was], I prefer games like XCOM: Enemy Unknown and Civilization 5, turn based strategy games.

My first strategy game I ever played was empire earth, been liking games like that since then (age of empires, command and conquer)

But I also like turn based strategy games.

RTS's like Europa Universalis and Crusader Kings are fun becouse there isn't a win or lose like in civ V(I still play civ, though) and I don't feel rushed to complete stuff of attack other counties, I can play the way I like.

I would like to make it clear that "semi-strategy" does not refer to a dumbed down version of the genre, but rather a game with strategy elements, that does not completely focus on them. An example would be spellforce, which has many rpg elements

i created my own turn based strategy boardgame prety proad of it

Hard to decided, definatly like turn based, but also emjoy medium paced rtses. The games i play are:

Civ 5, Most total war games, SC, DOw 1, Star wars galactic battleground, and a few others.

I'm going to have to say, the funnest RTS game to date I've played is World In Conflict: Soviet Assault. It gave such a good depection of World War III and it shows America going to such a depth of desperation to nuke themselves to stop the Soviets. Red Alert 2 never even went that extreme! I like the alternating between Lt. Romanv of the Red Army and Lt/Captain Parker of the US.

My favorite one however...is without a doubt Dark Reign: Future of War back from the 1990s. It came with an amazing story line that beats even the C&C universe and it came with biographies of all the main characters and units in the game. My personal favorite and main reason it gets my vote as the best...is for Jeb Radec of the Freedom Guard. Rarely looses a battle, and fights on the front line WITH his men. Even offered to give his command to ANYONE who could beat him in a fair fight...not going to say what happened to one officer.

I'm not sure what base building rts fits, so I chooses medium pace as you can both rush or turtle but its not like instant action.

Favorites rts.

Aoe2

Aoe2 expansion

Aom

Aom expansion

Aoe3

Aoe3 war chiefs

Aoe3 Asian dynasty's

CandC generals

CandC generals zero hour

Sc1 expansion

Sc2

Sos rebellion

I prefer turn based

Well i preferthe action RTS  games because they get really intense and are hard to master but very rewarding! Starcraft 2 for example is the best rts of all tims in my opinion :D.

This was a tough choice, but personally I have the most enjoyment from slower-paced RTS games, such as Civ 5, Supreme Commander: FA, and Sins of a Solar Empire; it's fun building up huge bases or even civilizations and slowly conquering your surroundings by queuing up units and sitting back to watch them work.

I still love StarCraft II but quickly get stressed out when playing against other players. At least with Civ 5 and Sins I can focus on my cultural and scientific growth if I don't feel like stressing over my army composition