• Welcome to the Angry Joe Show Army!

Join our community of gamers passionate about our community and our hobby! Whether it's playing, discussing, or watching games, regardless of platform, genre, or location, we have a place for you, always!

• PS4 Forum

The AJSA Playstation 4 Division: Game Nights and More!

The AJSA is on Playstation 4! Join us for weekly Game Nights with a selection of the best games the PS4 has to offer!

• XBO Forum

The AJSA Xbox One Division: We Got You Covered!

The AJSA Xbox One Division is ready to connect with you on XBox Live with a ton of events for the best Xbox games!

• News Archive

The Best News from the Best Sites, Every Week.

The AJSA News Collection Team is hard at work condensing a week's worth of news into one giant-sze digest for you to chew on and discuss! Links to source articles are always provided!

• More Info

The AJSA Expeditionary Force: Deploying to Play the Best PC Games!

The elite vanguard of the AJSA, the Expeditionary Force (EF) chooses a new PC game every week! Join us for weekly events and help decide if the game has a future in the AJSA.

• The Team

Streaming Now: The AJSA Stream Team

Joe can't stream every game, but our talented AJSA Stream Team covers a wide variety of games and personalities! Check them out, and show them some AJSA Love!

• The Tube

The AJSA Community YouTube Channel

Featuring news, gameplay clips, and more from the community! The Community is a chance to showcase the best moments in AJSA Gaming!

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
TheFa1thful

Does anyone play Star Wars: Age of Rebellion or Edge of the Universe>

9 posts in this topic

I love this roleplaying game, but I lack the community to play it. I have the core set for Age of Rebellion and assault on aarda 1 and I honestly think that if 1) you love star wars. and 2) you like tabletop but don't like how a d20 will cause you to critically miss sometimes but it doesn't make sense narratively, then I highly reccomend you check into the narrative dice system that this Fantasy Flight games uses. To bad no one in my area wants to play with me. Its literally all Pathfinder (not even D&D 5), while I don't mind pathfinder, I just love this game and would love to hear other peoples opinions on it.

I LOVE Star Wars, but am a bit rusty on its lore by now. Would have to find time to try this out though.

I have a group playing Age of Rebellion now and I have the books for both. I really like the added ability to fail well or to succeed poorly that Fantasy Flight added to their Star Wars games and to the new addition of Warhammer Fantasy.

you like tabletop but don't like how a d20 will cause you to critically miss sometimes but it doesn't make sense narratively

No matter how skilled you are and how easy the task you can still fail in Star Wars and fail badly. Pathfinder is probably more forgiving since you can choose to take 10 and in some situations take 20 on roles when you aren't in danger or have the time to spare. I think the only game I know where you can completely ignore having to make a roll by the rules is with the Cypher system that Numenera and The Strange use.

No matter how skilled you are and how easy the task you can still fail in Star Wars and fail badly. Pathfinder is probably more forgiving since you can choose to take 10 and in some situations take 20 on roles when you aren't in danger or have the time to spare. I think the only game I know where you can completely ignore having to make a roll by the rules is with the Cypher system that Numenera and The Strange use.

Very true about how things can fail, but I love the power as a GM to turn a missed attack (but they rolled +3 advantage) to them missing their target, but causing sparks to throw a disadvantage die into my next roll for the enemy npc when they try to attack again. One of my favorite things to do is someone does the above (which is still quite a rare roll), I have it hit the blaster or disable weapon forcing the storm trooper or smuggler or whatever I'm throwing at the players to engage in melee combat or have to switch to secondary arms. In other words I just love the ability to take a miss, but its still a good roll, and turn it to the advantage of the player without causing any real damage to the NPC. In other words I can make any attack "feel worth it" but still keep the encounter engaging. I can also make things hilariously bad for the player if they make both a miss and a negative on their crit rolls. I've had them shoot into a reflective surface and shoot themselves, I've had weapons back blow up, I've had them blow up their own cover by accidently shooting an exploding barrel that gave stress than a bit of damage. This is honestly the most fun game to GM that I've played, but I've only done DnD 3 and Pathfinder other than this.

Very true about how things can fail, but I love the power as a GM to turn a missed attack (but they rolled +3 advantage) to them missing their target, but causing sparks to throw a disadvantage die into my next roll for the enemy npc when they try to attack again. One of my favorite things to do is someone does the above (which is still quite a rare roll), I have it hit the blaster or disable weapon forcing the storm trooper or smuggler or whatever I'm throwing at the players to engage in melee combat or have to switch to secondary arms. In other words I just love the ability to take a miss, but its still a good roll, and turn it to the advantage of the player without causing any real damage to the NPC. In other words I can make any attack "feel worth it" but still keep the encounter engaging. I can also make things hilariously bad for the player if they make both a miss and a negative on their crit rolls. I've had them shoot into a reflective surface and shoot themselves, I've had weapons back blow up, I've had them blow up their own cover by accidently shooting an exploding barrel that gave stress than a bit of damage. This is honestly the most fun game to GM that I've played, but I've only done DnD 3 and Pathfinder other than this.

Heavily tempting me now lol.

If your looking to opt into the game now Rain, I would possibly hold off for now for the Force And Destiny which I think might be released by now. This ruleset focuses more on the Jedi and force powers.  I'm not a big fan of Jedi in roleplaying games  (I know right) because they get to be too godmode if roleplayed well. I actually had to create an in house rule for someone I played with for a bit that would literally force pull every weapon out of anyones hands on every encounter. I had to assign a "stress" value for the move and I hope that in this edition of the game that focuses on Jedi we get a much better balance of Jedi skills. I literally threw out force emmergent class out my game because everyone was "force sensative" which I said to my group, "hey guys, isn't weird that there may be one jedi per planet per generation but we seem to have found 4 force sensative people all in the same random rebel squadron?" Guess what, no one showed up again and now I don't have any one to play with -_-. Guess it was my fault because honestly who doesn't want to be a Jedi? I guess I'm weird in the fact that I would much rather be a chiss pilot or mandalorian bounty hunter. They just seem like more interesting characters than having a group where everyone is trading force pulls for every encounter.

If your looking at the other two core sets, Edge of the Empire focuses mostly on the outer rim. Most of the classes you'll find in the book are based around morally grey classes like smuggler, bodyguard, settler, etc. Characters created with this rulebook have a mechanic called "Obligation (I think, I don't own the book)" where a good GM will throw in instances in the story where at least one character's obligation will come up per play session. An example of this would be Han Solo being indebted to Jaba in the original trillogy. It was a major factor in how he interacted with the world, but it was not the main plotpoint, and he had a very destinct character outside of his debt.

The rulebook that I bought is Age of Rebellion and mainly focuses on the Rebel Alliance side of the war, after the first death star but before the second. Now, I fudge with that timeline as I honestly believe the more interesting parts of the rebellion are the "inbetween" phase where it was starting to form. This can be evidenced by how the Force Unleashed had such an awesome storyline. I digress, sorry. Most of the classes here are military bassed, so you'll have a soldier, commander, pilot, scout, spy, engineer, recruit, and diplomat. Honestly more boring classes than edge of the empire(great abilities, just its hard to differentiate from a storytelling perspective what the difference between a scout and soldier is if everyone moves together and the scout and soldier spec the same and take some of the same personaly traits.) The unique mechanic of characters created with this rulebook is Duty, which functions kind of like obligation but its more of a rewards system if you follow your characters duty rather than it being enforced. Possible duty could be humanitarian aid, recruitment for the alliance, propaganda, sabbotage, intel gathering, etc.

Honestly, what I think would make the best group would be a mix of the two rulebooks as values clash a lot more, and it makes for some interesting dialogue of say a commander trying to recruit a smuggler into the alliance, and the smuggler won't have any of it. I would love to set up a scenario where we could follow out the mission given by rebel command, but in doing so our Edge of The Empire group would have some conquences due to their obligations, and vice versa.

If your looking to opt into the game now Rain, I would possibly hold off for now for the Force And Destiny which I think might be released by now. This ruleset focuses more on the Jedi and force powers.  I'm not a big fan of Jedi in roleplaying games  (I know right) because they get to be too godmode if roleplayed well. I actually had to create an in house rule for someone I played with for a bit that would literally force pull every weapon out of anyones hands on every encounter. I had to assign a "stress" value for the move and I hope that in this edition of the game that focuses on Jedi we get a much better balance of Jedi skills. I literally threw out force emmergent class out my game because everyone was "force sensative" which I said to my group, "hey guys, isn't weird that there may be one jedi per planet per generation but we seem to have found 4 force sensative

Sorry it's been awhile I've had some crazy work hrs all year. But I'm off for the next 1.5 weeks and would love to join a session of yours as I've been searching for a group to play with. If you're still around or anyone that plays any of the games mentioned above (Force and Destiny favored) please let me know.

A Star Wars tabletop game sounds amazing, i would be really interested in this if i had time for it.