• Welcome to the Angry Joe Show Army!

Join our community of gamers passionate about our community and our hobby! Whether it's playing, discussing, or watching games, regardless of platform, genre, or location, we have a place for you, always!

• PS4 Forum

The AJSA Playstation 4 Division: Game Nights and More!

The AJSA is on Playstation 4! Join us for weekly Game Nights with a selection of the best games the PS4 has to offer!

• XBO Forum

The AJSA Xbox One Division: We Got You Covered!

The AJSA Xbox One Division is ready to connect with you on XBox Live with a ton of events for the best Xbox games!

• News Archive

The Best News from the Best Sites, Every Week.

The AJSA News Collection Team is hard at work condensing a week's worth of news into one giant-sze digest for you to chew on and discuss! Links to source articles are always provided!

• More Info

The AJSA Expeditionary Force: Deploying to Play the Best PC Games!

The elite vanguard of the AJSA, the Expeditionary Force (EF) chooses a new PC game every week! Join us for weekly events and help decide if the game has a future in the AJSA.

• The Team

Streaming Now: The AJSA Stream Team

Joe can't stream every game, but our talented AJSA Stream Team covers a wide variety of games and personalities! Check them out, and show them some AJSA Love!

• The Tube

The AJSA Community YouTube Channel

Featuring news, gameplay clips, and more from the community! The Community is a chance to showcase the best moments in AJSA Gaming!

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Samurai Rabbit

Darkest Dungeon (PC) Early Access Review Video

11 posts in this topic

Great job and great game.

I eyeballed it but didn't wanna buy it until I saw some solid updates (or release) after a year or so. I just do that as a general rule for early access games. I'll check out your video later though! Seeing people review early access is a nice thing!

Samurai Rabbit likes this

I eyeballed it but didn't wanna buy it until I saw some solid updates (or release) after a year or so. I just do that as a general rule for early access games. I'll check out your video later though! Seeing people review early access is a nice thing!

Cheers mate, I appreciate it.

Always best to do plenty of research with Early Access :)

Good review for the game!

Been playing 3 hours of this game non stop and I love it. This game doesn't feel like an early access game, which is awesome. It already feels complete. 

I made a tips thread to let you know what's necessary to survive and get more cash for upgrades in this game. Hope it'll help you out!

http://angryjoeshow.com/ajsa/topic/26555-new-game-darkest-dungeon-tips-learn-these-things-and-survive/

K watched the video, some things I've seen make me want this game. I love games with permadeath parties that also have some perma-boons that make you feel like you have progressed somehow even if you had a full party wipe. You didn't mention this but I assume this is the case via upgrading your hamlet via heirlooms.

The art style isn't really a plus for me but it's not a turn-off either, it's just what it is for me. Another thing I've noticed is that the defensive stat seems to show a %. Now I myself am a 'stat-cruncher', but one thing that drives me ape in many new roguelikes and rogue-lites is how they have oodles of stats, but don't really define the significance of each one.. They'll say that defense reduces damage, but does 20 defense reduce damage by 20? by 20% by  (atk-def)* +-1%? They rarely tell you, and the whole point of customization and stat spending is meaningless when you don't truly know the value of each stat. One question I have that I may have been able to spot in your review but didn't hink of it at the time... Sometimes games DO describe the stats, but not the spells.. For example, does this game say "fireball: Does high fire damage"... or does it say "fireball: deals 400% of your int in fire damage".. I absolutely HATE it when a stat-heavy game describes spells like "low, high, heavy, etc". FUCK.

As for your review, it makes me want to try this game for sure now, not because you praise the art or whatever though. But as a critique, I have to say that it doesn't really seem like you made any effort to point any of the negatives. Now if you really like this game and you wanna support it that's fine. But perhaps you should at least tell people you feel may not enjoy it, better have you point it out calmly than have a potential person utterly rage about it later right? To me one thing that sounded like a turn-off was your mention of someone committing suicide. I understand having random ailments and whatnot due to a fairly controllable stress mechanic is cool to some people (myself included), but that also makes me wary, will this game just randomly up and kill one of my members for something that truly wasn't a 'mistake' on my part? I mean what if I wanted a hard game with lots of loot, and intend to leave darkness at high levels.. a random suicide isn't really what I'm looking for, does that mean it's my mistake to want this harder more rewarding difficulty? I think character deaths should be caused by mistakes, or by a bad gamble. however suicide just seems like it skips a step. Having a character paralyzed in fear from stress during a battle and then dies because of it is frustrating but less cheap-sounding, a straight up suicide on the other hand... I dunno.

edit: Oh yeah, another thing you mentioned that was a turn-on for me. You mentioned that dungeon provisions were fairly expensive. I just love a game that really makes you value your currency, and treat each and every consumable, even minor ones like they are something to NOT take for granted. One of my BIGGEST desires for general gaming that seems to be lost these days.

Good review for the game!

Been playing 3 hours of this game non stop and I love it. This game doesn't feel like an early access game, which is awesome. It already feels complete. 

I made a tips thread to let you know what's necessary to survive and get more cash for upgrades in this game. Hope it'll help you out!

http://angryjoeshow.com/ajsa/topic/26555-new-game-darkest-dungeon-tips-learn-these-things-and-survive/

Thanks! Yeah it's a great game, really solid in its current state. I'll check out you tops page :)

Kaz32 likes this

K watched the video, some things I've seen make me want this game. I love games with permadeath parties that also have some perma-boons that make you feel like you have progressed somehow even if you had a full party wipe. You didn't mention this but I assume this is the case via upgrading your hamlet via heirlooms.

The art style isn't really a plus for me but it's not a turn-off either, it's just what it is for me. Another thing I've noticed is that the defensive stat seems to show a %. Now I myself am a 'stat-cruncher', but one thing that drives me ape in many new roguelikes and rogue-lites is how they have oodles of stats, but don't really define the significance of each one.. They'll say that defense reduces damage, but does 20 defense reduce damage by 20? by 20% by  (atk-def)* +-1%? They rarely tell you, and the whole point of customization and stat spending is meaningless when you don't truly know the value of each stat. One question I have that I may have been able to spot in your review but didn't hink of it at the time... Sometimes games DO describe the stats, but not the spells.. For example, does this game say "fireball: Does high fire damage"... or does it say "fireball: deals 400% of your int in fire damage".. I absolutely HATE it when a stat-heavy game describes spells like "low, high, heavy, etc". FUCK.

As for your review, it makes me want to try this game for sure now, not because you praise the art or whatever though. But as a critique, I have to say that it doesn't really seem like you made any effort to point any of the negatives. Now if you really like this game and you wanna support it that's fine. But perhaps you should at least tell people you feel may not enjoy it, better have you point it out calmly than have a potential person utterly rage about it later right? To me one thing that sounded like a turn-off was your mention of someone committing suicide. I understand having random ailments and whatnot due to a fairly controllable stress mechanic is cool to some people (myself included), but that also makes me wary, will this game just randomly up and kill one of my members for something that truly wasn't a 'mistake' on my part? I mean what if I wanted a hard game with lots of loot, and intend to leave darkness at high levels.. a random suicide isn't really what I'm looking for, does that mean it's my mistake to want this harder more rewarding difficulty? I think character deaths should be caused by mistakes, or by a bad gamble. however suicide just seems like it skips a step. Having a character paralyzed in fear from stress during a battle and then dies because of it is frustrating but less cheap-sounding, a straight up suicide on the other hand... I dunno.

edit: Oh yeah, another thing you mentioned that was a turn-on for me. You mentioned that dungeon provisions were fairly expensive. I just love a game that really makes you value your currency, and treat each and every consumable, even minor ones like they are something to NOT take for granted. One of my BIGGEST desires for general gaming that seems to be lost these days.

Awesome replay mate.

The skill tooltips give you a display of what they do in either % or a flat rate depending on the skill. However, once you select a skill and mouse over the enemy, another tooltip displays potential damage. EG: Bone Rabble: 10 HP Attack will cause 8-12 Damage. So in that respect it does the number crunching for you.

With regards to my poor Plague Doctor, I let my party's stress levels get out of control. Managing this is incredibly important. Her stress gauge was full and she became Afflicted with Hopelessness. This resulted in her skipping turns, stressing out other members with her melancholic complaining and occasionally inflicting damage on herself. She just so happened to stab herself when she was on 0 HP and failed her Death's Door resistance check. It's not like she was on max health and then did herself in.

I always try to be balanced and honest in my videos. If I feel that something is great or shite I tell them and try to articulate it as well as possible. Hopefully my enthusiasm for this game doesn't come across as being unprofessional!

Thanks for your excellent feedback, and thanks for watching :)

Nice review. Good Job! Bought the game day One, playing it every day and can´t stop :D

Cheers mate, glad you're having fun :)