• Welcome to the Angry Joe Show Army!

Join our community of gamers passionate about our community and our hobby! Whether it's playing, discussing, or watching games, regardless of platform, genre, or location, we have a place for you, always!

• PS4 Forum

The AJSA Playstation 4 Division: Game Nights and More!

The AJSA is on Playstation 4! Join us for weekly Game Nights with a selection of the best games the PS4 has to offer!

• XBO Forum

The AJSA Xbox One Division: We Got You Covered!

The AJSA Xbox One Division is ready to connect with you on XBox Live with a ton of events for the best Xbox games!

• News Archive

The Best News from the Best Sites, Every Week.

The AJSA News Collection Team is hard at work condensing a week's worth of news into one giant-sze digest for you to chew on and discuss! Links to source articles are always provided!

• More Info

The AJSA Expeditionary Force: Deploying to Play the Best PC Games!

The elite vanguard of the AJSA, the Expeditionary Force (EF) chooses a new PC game every week! Join us for weekly events and help decide if the game has a future in the AJSA.

• The Team

Streaming Now: The AJSA Stream Team

Joe can't stream every game, but our talented AJSA Stream Team covers a wide variety of games and personalities! Check them out, and show them some AJSA Love!

• The Tube

The AJSA Community YouTube Channel

Featuring news, gameplay clips, and more from the community! The Community is a chance to showcase the best moments in AJSA Gaming!

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
WITHASTICK

Legends & Mysteries: Crota's End (Lore)

18 posts in this topic

"He hides in the Dark Below: the monster of Luna, the titanic god-Knight who walked the regolith beneath a sky of green fire and butchered the greatest army of Guardians ever assembled. We abandoned the Moon rather than face him.

Whispered lore and fragmentary theories suggest that Crota represents a distinct class of Hive entities, not resident in our material world. My latest synthesis of this scattered esoterica suggests that Crota's 'home' is a universe created or remade by his power and occupied by Hive organisms of immense age. Any Guardian formidable enough to return with information on this dark reality might help us understand the Hive's goals for our world―and, more pressingly, such an expedition might provide the key to Crota's defeat" ― Crota, Son of Oryx Grimoire Card

The lore behind the Raid known as Crota's End, is interesting to explore. Thankful this man, Sir Wallen connects the dots of this lore for us. A lore you're now apart of. Think of it, the second coming of Crota is near. You stop his soul from becoming free in our reality, but in his realm he still lives. As long as he lives there he won't stop. You dive into the Dark Below, into the Moon's Hellmouth on a mission. A mission you know you might not return. When looking deeper into the lore it starts to no longer show names of great Guardians before you. But instead leave room for your own lore. Your own stories; defeating Crota with merely one blade, defeating Crota by one mere mortal, possibly defeating Crota while he took a knee forever, or defeating him with the best Guardians you put together.

A lore that ends with your tale... How did you Bring Forth Crota's End?

Deep within the hellmouth, I have truly laid eyes on hell itself.

For I have seen the face of Oryx.

Deep within the hellmouth, I have truly laid eyes on hell itself.

For I have seen the face of Oryx.

Oryx is love, Oryx is life.

Oryx is love, Oryx is life.

Oryx is on the floor. That oval shape where Crota spawns is the eye, and the door/stairs in front of that on the lower level looks like a mouth.

You really can't see it unless you climb to the top of the map and look at it from above, and it's entirely possible that I'm seeing what I want to see rather than what's there.

However, I can't help but think.

If it is his face, there's only one huge eye.

Crota had three Acolytes serving as his Eyes.

And Sardok is the one and only Eye of Oryx ...

Oryx is on the floor. That oval shape where Crota spawns is the eye, and the door/stairs in front of that on the lower level looks like a mouth.

You really can't see it unless you climb to the top of the map and look at it from above, and it's entirely possible that I'm seeing what I want to see rather than what's there.

However, I can't help but think.

If it is his face, there's only one huge eye.

Crota had three Acolytes serving as his Eyes.

And Sardok is the one and only Eye of Oryx ...

I can agree with the oval shape being more eye like. As for everything else, I can't agree with.

As for the theory of Oryx being the only single eye'd Hive. I think that is interesting take, and your point is pretty strong. With Sardok being so far the only eye of Oryx we've seen.

Last Night, Bungie was streaming another Ride Along with Dads of Destiny covering Crota's End. I know I started this as a lore post, but hearing about some of the designs for the encounters and maps are pretty interesting. I wanted to talk about one of the more interesting things I took from it, the design of Forest Run.

The Forest Run before Destiny release, was a playground for the Lead Designer Gavin for Raids to mess with Stealth and Survival Horror gameplay. In fact this playground gave birth to the idea of the Gorgon's Labyrinth. That's why many can point to similarities. This playground was later given mechanics and ideas that become Forest Run. The Idea was to give Survival Horror in the way Destiny would do it. Weighing people down, being attack from all sides of Hive enemies, having to fight like a Phalanx. Leaving no Guardian behind, as every body was useful. This is also the one area in Destiny where the revive countdown is shorter. Gavin, wanted to give the sense of leaving no man behind. If the respawn timers were just as long people would just leave Guardians to die. But because they are so short it gives them reason to hold ground for their fellow comrades. 

Was an interesting watch and listen. I recommend taking a look at the livestream. In fact kinda gives me abit more respect what Gavin was trying to do, and now understand some of the problems (all the cheeses) came into play. That still doesn't explain why Crota is such a picky motherfucker.

Bungie Bounty - Crota (with Dads of Destiny): http://www.twitch.tv/bungie/b/623652254

Came across an interesting Lore video. This Lore focus's around the vents leading up to what we know as Dark Below and Crota's End. It's helps sum up the story behind Eris that many know, but don't understand. Also covering some of the more darker characters in Destiny many don't know, Toland The Shattered.

One thing I have wondered.

If you read the descriptions of the Class items Eris sells, you get four names besides Eris herself.

Assuming they are the ones to first challenge Crota, then who was the sixth?

One thing I have wondered.

If you read the descriptions of the Class items Eris sells, you get four names besides Eris herself.

Assuming they are the ones to first challenge Crota, then who was the sixth?

Nope you got it correct, there are only the five that went after Crota with Eris the 'unofficial' second time (we're technically the third attempt.) In all Grimoire cards they never refer to the sixth, or even mention him. I guess if this Sixth does exist, it would possibly be the dead Titan seen outside of the Temple of Crota. But I believe the dead Titan is the fifth that went with Eris, and already has been mention.

I could be wrong though.

Nope you got it correct, there are only the five that went after Crota with Eris the 'unofficial' second time (we're technically the third attempt.) In all Grimoire cards they never refer to the sixth, or even mention him. I guess if this Sixth does exist, it would possibly be the dead Titan seen outside of the Temple of Crota. But I believe the dead Titan is the fifth that went with Eris, and already has been mention.

I could be wrong though.

Doesn't she specifically say "Six went down" in the trailer?

Doesn't she specifically say "Six went down" in the trailer?

I be damned, like I said I could be wrong and I was. Now I wanted to find out the names and figure the sixth.

Found the name of the six Guardians who adventure to face Crota the 'Unofficial' Second time.

• Eris Morn (Warlock)
  • Toland, The Shattered (Warlock)
  • Eriana-3 (Warlock)
  • Omar Agah (Hunter)
  • Sai Mota (Hunter)
  • Vell Tarlowe (Titan)

I was right though before, that the sixth Guardian Vell Tarlowe, is the dead Guardian at the entrance of The Temple of Crota. He held back the mass Thrall and Hive Wizard 'Verock, The Witch'. He fell there holding his ground, while the rest descended deep into the Hellmouth. Into the Dark Below.

Firstly, Eris is clearly a Hunter. She has the pauldrons like the Hunter armor and is wearing the Hunter cloak that she sells.

Also, I've heard it speculated that she is wearing the Mask of the Third Man, even though I personally believe that she removed her own eyes and replaced them with those of an Acolyte so she could see in the dark / trick the Hive into thinking she was one of them.

Secondly, Vell Tarlowe is mentioned in the class item descriptions.

Thirdly, I've not heard of Sai Mota until this post of yours. Methinks that's the missing name.

Firstly, Eris is clearly a Hunter. She has the pauldrons like the Hunter armor and is wearing the Hunter cloak that she sells.

Also, I've heard it speculated that she is wearing the Mask of the Third Man, even though I personally believe that she removed her own eyes and replaced them with those of an Acolyte so she could see in the dark / trick the Hive into thinking she was one of them.

Secondly, Vell Tarlowe is mentioned in the class item descriptions.

Thirdly, I've not heard of Sai Mota until this post of yours. Methinks that's the missing name.

Nope Warlock, confirmed from interview with bungie dev:

https://gotgame.com/2014/12/19/destiny-interview-bungie-community-manager-eric-osborne/

Jeffrey – She is in the Tower, so that must make her sort of trustworthy. Otherwise, the Speaker wouldn’t let her in, right?

Eric – Yeah, she’s a Warlock, so she’s a Guardian. She’s a protector of the City.

Plus I wouldn't trust the grimore cards to give an exact answer on what she is because another grimore card refers to her as a titan.

Jeffrey – She is in the Tower, so that must make her sort of trustworthy. Otherwise, the Speaker wouldn’t let her in, right?

Eric – Yeah, she’s a Warlock, so she’s a Guardian. She’s a protector of the City.

Plus I wouldn't trust the grimore cards to give an exact answer on what she is because another grimore card refers to her as a titan.

Boom.

Huh. Well.

Come to think on it, that would explain that green orb she's holding, just like the Warlock inventory screen depicts them as holding such a ball.

Always wondered what that thing was.

It's basically her TV. She's a big EastEnders fan.

"Can't believe it was Bobby Beale..." - Eris Morn

I figured if she'd be watching anything, it'd be Survivor: Hellmouth.

... Too soon?

Winnum likes this

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0