• Welcome to the Angry Joe Show Army!

Join our community of gamers passionate about our community and our hobby! Whether it's playing, discussing, or watching games, regardless of platform, genre, or location, we have a place for you, always!

• PS4 Forum

The AJSA Playstation 4 Division: Game Nights and More!

The AJSA is on Playstation 4! Join us for weekly Game Nights with a selection of the best games the PS4 has to offer!

• XBO Forum

The AJSA Xbox One Division: We Got You Covered!

The AJSA Xbox One Division is ready to connect with you on XBox Live with a ton of events for the best Xbox games!

• News Archive

The Best News from the Best Sites, Every Week.

The AJSA News Collection Team is hard at work condensing a week's worth of news into one giant-sze digest for you to chew on and discuss! Links to source articles are always provided!

• More Info

The AJSA Expeditionary Force: Deploying to Play the Best PC Games!

The elite vanguard of the AJSA, the Expeditionary Force (EF) chooses a new PC game every week! Join us for weekly events and help decide if the game has a future in the AJSA.

• The Team

Streaming Now: The AJSA Stream Team

Joe can't stream every game, but our talented AJSA Stream Team covers a wide variety of games and personalities! Check them out, and show them some AJSA Love!

• The Tube

The AJSA Community YouTube Channel

Featuring news, gameplay clips, and more from the community! The Community is a chance to showcase the best moments in AJSA Gaming!

TheFa1thful

Is everyone considered Hardcore now?

31 posts in this topic

I'm thinking we need a different term than "hardcore" gamer at this point. I have a friend that is considered "hardcore" by the current standards (played gears 3 internationally semi-pro) but his library of games includes only the following: Gears 3, Gears Liberation (although that currently is chopped in half, but he still bought it so it still counts), Call of Duty Black Ops2, Dragon Age 2, Dragon Age Inquisition, Halo 4, Halo Reach, Kinect Sports.  I do not consider him hardcore. While that is more than the average 360 owner buys, thats less than a quarter of the games I own for 360. I don't consider that as being hardcore. I'm considered more 'casual' by today's standards as I don't spend usually more than an hour a day playing games due to time constraints, but last generation I adopted PS3, 360, wii, but mainly played PC anyways. This generation I have gone Wii U and PC (and 3ds) and have yet to regret it but I'm far from considered hard core now since I don't own a next gen console. What I believe we need is a new classification of gamers. I propose the following three main ways to look at gaming:

1) Retros: Those that enjoy platforming, arcade based games, rts games, megaman, shovelknight, mario, street fighter, star craft, command and conquer, castlevania, etc. Games that harken back to the "golden" age of gaming. I dislike the use of golden age as gaming is so young of a medium that I believe we have yet to see our golden age. If I had to pick a time I would say the golden age was 2002: Windwaker, Baldur's gate, Warcraft III, Mario Sunshine, Smash Melee, Final Fantasy XI, Sonic Adventure 2, Jedi Knight II, Fatal Frame, Animal Crossing, Kingdom Hearts, Timesplitters 2, Grand Theft Auto Vice City, Jet Grind Radio, Age of Mythology to name a few titles that year. I have no idea how my wallet survived that year.

2) 'Core gamer: Those that enjoy the modern state of gaming. I don't like the term "hardcore" because lets be honest, most "hardcore" gamers are just dudebros which isn't a bad thing, just I hate that hardcore has become synonymous with "I spend 4 hours a day playing FPS games" when I believe hardcore should be reserved for speed runners, those that complete games 100%, those that participate in challenges such as the three heart challenge in zelda, those that excel at a multitude of gaming genres. Hence why I talk about the  "core" gamer. This is the majority of gaming today that only buys 3.5 games the entire cycle of a console. This could encorporate my friend above, while still giving him a decent label other than dudebro but also without belittling hardcore so that everyone is hardcore.

3) Casuals: Pretty much stays the same as it is now, but we need to as a gaming culture revisit how we look at casuals. Casuals should not be a slur word.They enjoy interactive entertainment, just as you or I, but just do so a little differently. I see no reason why that is a bad thing. Similarly, Retros today stereotypicaly look down on the core gamers today, but get along with casuals for the most part. The core gamers resent retros because they are usually older and percieved as judgmental. Interestingly, I have observed that casuals are repulsed by the idea of the stereotypical hardcore gamer, and will sometimes make fun of the stereotype. It is facinating to me; this idea that we need to make fun of each others hobbies in the first place. It is not just teenagers that do this, but adults. What does that say about us as people, as a community, and as a culture?

Some notable things that I cannot place into my current structure are RPG players. I just can't figure out what to call them, plus there is the whole JRPG vs. western RPG vs. MMORPG vs. tabletop RPG that is going on. Even when you get past that there is the whole PvE vs. PvP subset. The group is just too large or broad to fit into either the "core gamers" or the "retros" as it is probably currently the largest gaming subculture other than casuals and has yet to take on a nickname other than roleplayers (although very little roleplaying goes on in modern roleplaying games, but that is another discussion for another day).

Thank you for the read, and I appreciate your discussion and feedback.

A hardcore gamer typically focuses on one title, plays it very extensively and typically they very good at it. A casual gamer can play the exact same games but to a much lesser extent.

Casual gamers aren't necessarily bad at games, they just play them less and because of that tend to be less skilled than the hardcore gamers. This is not always true though.

Also, Wii U is a current gen console. As a PC gamer, it is the only one that I would buy because it has the most exclusives that I would play. The other two have pretty much the same games I can play on my PC.

fridgeracer and Abedsbrother like this

I think the whole categorization of "gamer" is just complete bollocks. 

I play tons of games, on some I focus a LOT and play them for years and I'm very good at them, but I still don't call myself hardcore gamer.

It's not that I have problems with categorization of gamers but with the attitude that comes with it. Most hardcore gamers think they top of the gamer chain and that they are the best, others think they are just being cocky and aren't gamers because they only play 1 or 2 games and only good at those.

Personally I try to avoid categorizing gamers like that, for me everyone is just a gamer and that's it, whatever you play. 

I agree with Apex Spartan, this "classification" of gamers is pointless, were not documents that are categorised so they can be easily identified, were just people that love playing games. This is also one of the reasons I hate the "PC master race" (or the PC fanatics as I like to call them), they expand this rift even further by treating anyone who owns a console like dirt, some of those PC fanatics like to take WAY too far, such as an amateur modder that I saw on steam who made a mod called "Filthy console peasants" for Civ V, he/she (Let's just say he out of my ignorance) also wrote in the description and I quote: "Replaces the barbarians with filthy console peasants (Not much change there)", that mods just changes the name of barbarians into "console peasants" without any mechanical/narrative changes at all (please don't download that mod). 

mirandaadria likes this

The "Hardcore" and "Casual" labels are as arbitrary and unnecessary as "Real Game".

to me hardcore gaming is sitting infront of a screen for 6 hours a day minimum playing games, or playing 1 game. one could say "yesterday i was hardcoring it on donkey kong country returns, 8 hours i sat there".

i dont think there's anything else about hardcore gaming other than that, simply playing extensively for long periods of time, i.e. hardcore, dedicated, determined to win and never stopping.

all other terminology for types of gamers are false and bullshit. if you're a gamer, you're a gamer. period. you either hardcore it some days, or you don't on other days. doesn't make you a "casual" or a "core" gamer. just makes you a gamer, end of.

Labels have their uses. As a guild leader of various guilds, being able to classify your guild being casual or hardcore will give people an idea of how it is ran. Hardcore guilds typically have much more strict scheduling and require alot of its members. Hardcore gamers are usually the only ones who can last in that kind of environment. (I used to raid 6-7 hours a day for 5-6 days a week) I ended up transitioning to a more casual guild as I have gotten older because my schedule is much more limited in terms of gaming and also much more sporadic. I am more of a casual gamer now because of this. I play a larger selection of games but in much smaller intervals.

Classifications outside of guilds still has its merits when you are talking about a target audience. Hardcore gamers invest huge amounts of time and will eat through your content faster than you can put it out if it is not challenging enough. Where as casual gamers have less time to play and will consume the content at a much slower pace. Casual gamers are more likely to give up though due to their time being more valuable. If they have to waste huge amounts of time on very little progress, they will most likely go somewhere else. As such, you have to try and strike a balance if you wish to please them both.

There are still others that use it as a derogatory term when classifying someone as hardcore or casual. Just ignore those nerds, they typically are full of themselves anyways. Even when I did hardcore raiding, these kind of people didnt last in my guild. Above all else, if you cant get along with my guild, you cant play with us.  

What then would you call a gamer who likes to play more traditional things like card games, board games, RPGs, etc?

Would you call them a "topper"? :B

To me, hardcore gamer always meant a player who spent a lot of time on the titles they wan't to do well in, and possibly go pro with. I digress, I never really cared about the titles on gamers, or the term gamer to begin with. 

When it comes to guilds in MMO's classification is necessary I will agree. Typically It will end up being the players who are dedicated, not so dedicated, and the totally casual. I agree the classification is needed. Guilds need to know who their dedicated raiders are, and who the potentials will be if a slot needs to be filled. So I totally get the need for classification in an MMO raiding environment. Only thing I really hate about classifications, is that people tend to shit all over casual players. I, myself, am a casual gamer. I just don't have it in me to be competitive and drain hours of my life into one title to perfect my skill at said game. Gaming is more of a secondary hobby for me, since music is my whole life. But, as soon as you mention that you aren't a hardcore gamer, or people see the game time you spend on playing a game, people tend to shun you some times. No big deal, considering it IS just a game. But, some people are straight out harsh on newbies or casual just because they don't spend as much time playing a game as others, and often time make more mistakes. In the end, games are just games. You win and you lose. So why explode like a child and blame the "casuals or newbs" for your hissey fit lol. I'm looking at you League of Legends! LOL. 

Puntosmx likes this

I've always just used hardcore gamer to describe someone who spends a lot of their time playing games and who is knowledgeable about video games and the games industry. Other ways of looking at it don't really seem to mean anything, and there's no reason to have a feeling of superiority over being a hardcore gamer, you spend your life on what you enjoy and other people do the same (or in a lot of cases do nothing I guess).

I have a friend that is considered "hardcore" by the current standards (played gears 3 internationally semi-pro) but his library of games includes only the following: Gears 3, Gears Liberation (although that currently is chopped in half, but he still bought it so it still counts), Call of Duty Black Ops2, Dragon Age 2, Dragon Age Inquisition, Halo 4, Halo Reach, Kinect Sports.  I do not consider him hardcore

When it comes to pro gamers or people doing it for money who only or pretty much only play one game the correct term seems more like it would be, job.

Categories for specific purposes are important if used correctly. If you run a raid guild for example, it is very important to know how much certain people play (and when) before incorporating them into your group(s). However, any use of those categories to promote some kind of "superiority" over others is complete nonsense and just plain stupid. Same goes for "PC Master Race" folks or the equivalent console fan boys. I wish these things would go away. Play what you like, when you like, how often you like, on whatever system you prefer... and leave everyone else alone. It really isn't that hard.

Labels are just labels. They don't mean anything in the long run. A gamer will play whatever games they enjoy because they enjoy them. "Hardcore" gamers exist because they play a ton of hours on their games either out of enjoyment or practice for a certain reason. But, do we really need subcategories and sub-sub-categories of gamers? It's like metal music; "Well, you have: Doom metal, Death metal, Djent metal, Scene metal, Black Metal, Metal Metal, Hard core, Death Core, Apple core!"

Puntosmx likes this

Categories for specific purposes are important if used correctly. If you run a raid guild for example, it is very important to know how much certain people play (and when) before incorporating them into your group(s). However, any use of those categories to promote some kind of "superiority" over others is complete nonsense and just plain stupid. Same goes for "PC Master Race" folks or the equivalent console fan boys. I wish these things would go away. Play what you like, when you like, how often you like, on whatever system you prefer... and leave everyone else alone. It really isn't that hard.

I like how you repeated exactly what I already posted : /

I did not read your specific post, just added my thoughts to the original post. Is posting similar thoughts some how against the rules now?

I just want to say I've become rather annoyed with the trend of folks needing to micro manage posts. It's as if I need to read every post and search the entire forum like I'm about to write a thesis, before I type a single word. I don't have time for that as I have a life, but if it's required please let me know.

Puntosmx likes this

Don't take it too hard, Seph. No one reads your posts. : D

I kid, I kid. But should't we commend someone for having a reasonable albeit awfully similar view? So he paraphrased a bit, big deal. He agrees with you.

I did not read your specific post, just added my thoughts to the original post. Is posting similar thoughts some how against the rules now?

And Kedric, chill out man. You're not on trial, no need to take the stand as your own defense attorney.

I think the most important thing here that everyone has overlooked is the fact that no one commented on my amazing "topper" joke. :B

I just find it respectful to read the other replies before making your own. So you don't repeat information that has already been said. I do apologize if you took it the wrong way though. I only meant to find out if you even cared about my post in a thread that you were replying to.

Why don't you love me?

Can we get back on topic? Well I guess the conversation is probably over anyway. Not much can really be said about the topic, we all pretty much have the same view LOL. 

Can we get back on topic? Well I guess the conversation is probably over anyway. Not much can really be said about the topic, we all pretty much have the same view LOL. 

Welcome to the AJSA, where we brain wash you into having our point of view :D

Nobody loves you seph cuz you're a 4 letter s-word. =p

Anyway pretty much agree with seph. Saying you or something is a "hardcore" gamer isnt neccesarily about feeling superior, its simple a means to communicate that games are simply more significant than to your average joe, which MAY be relevant given the situation. For example, if I was trying to organize a date for someone like me with a friend, Id make sure the date was aware that gaming was a more significant past time than your ordinary person who plays games on occasion.

I'm thinking we need a different term than "hardcore" gamer at this point. I have a friend that is considered "hardcore" by the current standards (played gears 3 internationally semi-pro) but his library of games includes only the following: Gears 3, Gears Liberation (although that currently is chopped in half, but he still bought it so it still counts), Call of Duty Black Ops2, Dragon Age 2, Dragon Age Inquisition, Halo 4, Halo Reach, Kinect Sports.  I do not consider him hardcore.

First of all, this falls into the "not hardcore enough" snobish attitude. It makes no sense.

Now, I'd meassure a gamer's tastes by the way they egage gaming the most.

Someone playing mostly casual facebook games while dozens of hardcore games go untouched on hie/her Steam account would be a casual, while a pro-level DOTA player would remain so even if s/he also played a Candy Crush clone on his/her iDevice.

Now, the separations of Casual, Core, Hardcore and Pro seem good enough for me.

Though, in health people insist on giving everything a full name.

In gaming this translates to having Candy Crush hardcore gamers being different to retro platformer hardcore gamers, who are different to MOBA hardcore gamers, who are different to FPS hardcore gamers, who are different to..... Get the idea?

If your friend is a TPS hardcore gamer or even a specialized Gears 3 hardcore gamer, that's not diluted when he shifts gears and plays a less competitive game or in a less competitive style.