• Welcome to the Angry Joe Show Army!

Join our community of gamers passionate about our community and our hobby! Whether it's playing, discussing, or watching games, regardless of platform, genre, or location, we have a place for you, always!

• PS4 Forum

The AJSA Playstation 4 Division: Game Nights and More!

The AJSA is on Playstation 4! Join us for weekly Game Nights with a selection of the best games the PS4 has to offer!

• XBO Forum

The AJSA Xbox One Division: We Got You Covered!

The AJSA Xbox One Division is ready to connect with you on XBox Live with a ton of events for the best Xbox games!

• News Archive

The Best News from the Best Sites, Every Week.

The AJSA News Collection Team is hard at work condensing a week's worth of news into one giant-sze digest for you to chew on and discuss! Links to source articles are always provided!

• More Info

The AJSA Expeditionary Force: Deploying to Play the Best PC Games!

The elite vanguard of the AJSA, the Expeditionary Force (EF) chooses a new PC game every week! Join us for weekly events and help decide if the game has a future in the AJSA.

• The Team

Streaming Now: The AJSA Stream Team

Joe can't stream every game, but our talented AJSA Stream Team covers a wide variety of games and personalities! Check them out, and show them some AJSA Love!

• The Tube

The AJSA Community YouTube Channel

Featuring news, gameplay clips, and more from the community! The Community is a chance to showcase the best moments in AJSA Gaming!

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Winnum

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate from a newbies standpoint.

10 posts in this topic

Firstly it should be stated that this is the first Monster Hunter game I have owned. I've played demos of other versions but a lot of those kind of drop you in as if you know what you're doing. I didn't.

That said I've been on something of a kick to try new genres and series recently and as I was picking up the New 3DS on Friday I thought I'd pick up Monster Hunter 4 rather than Majora's Mask as I've already owned and beaten that game twice.  

I should say that although I have't owned a game in the series before I do have a vague notion of what the game entails- you go off on hunts kill monsters then grind their bones to make your bread-knives (really really frickin' BIG bread-knives).

What I hadn't appreciated however initially was that equipment is what it's all about.

Whilst arguably an RPG Monster Hunter 4 doesn't appear to have a levelling in the traditional sense. You HP and Stamina are always at a constant base rate, with your equipment really being what sets you apart. 

Also during the demo's I had played previously you're always asked to pick a weapon set- I had naturally kind of assumed then that this meant that like a lot of other RPG's you had to choose a class. I was it turned out, dead wrong.  The game gives you one each of all the possible weapon types at the start of the game, which gives you a proper chance to experiment and find the one that suits your play style, without sacrificing hours of playtime to build an alt character. This was extremely handy for a beginner like me - I started out using the great sword but soon found that I found the move set extrenely limiting (it's basically "hit things. HARD" ) So switched to using the charge blade, a sword and shield combo that then transforms into a giant axe for muchos damagos.

There are also a variety of ranged weapons available but none of them really spoke to me, as they all felt kind of underpowered given how slow and ponderous they are to fire. (Veterans of the series may well disagree- it's perfectly possible I was doing it wrong)

In general combat is clunky, slow and methodical but designed to be so; in fact at one point I do remember telling myself "Think of this more like Dark Souls", and from there I had a much better time. Whilst little critters usually go down with a couple of whacks, larger monsters - the objects of the actual hunts- demand respect. (in fact if you're looking for something Dark Soulsish you could cast a glance this way- by no means exactly the same but there are certain similarities).

Whilst there is a bent in this title designed to assist newbies like myself- there are still a few things that weren't highlighted, like the importance of food in the field, and how to properly set traps. (I know two minutes ago I referenced Dark Souls and now I'm complaining that the game isn't helping me. Shut up.)

At this point I've only really scratched the surface of what the game has to offer- I haven't played online yet for example and have yet to take down some of the bigger enemies - but I will say that I really enjoyed my time with the game so far and look forward into sinking more time into it. Also the advantage of having it on 3DS is that I can hunt on the train during my morning commute, which is pretty boss.

This game is deep, challenging, varied and satisfying. It's probably my favourite game of 2015 so far and a lot better than the shit I picked up in 2014. Don't let the fact it's on a handheld sway you, this is the kind of game if it was on PC we would never hear the end of it, and I suddenly know why the fanbase for these games are so passionate.

baronrouker and fridgeracer like this

Well I do have to say that you chose the right one to start with because Monster Hunter series always had a hard time introducing new people to the game with its lack-luster tutorial. I'm still hoping they eventually make MH4 for WiiU.

Winnum and newtype89 like this

I'm waiting for my 3DS to start playing with my buddies, but I've played MH since the PSP. MH has always been lackluster on the tutorial, new player department.

Glad you could find this one more enjoyable!

Winnum likes this

In a way I think this title was very much designed for 'me' someone interested in the series but found it difficult to get into previously. This one still has a good deal of challenge butt also helped me to understand what I was doing to start off with. 

Any veterans should be aware that you can pretty much turn all those hints off if you want to jump straight into it.

Any veterans should be aware that you can pretty much turn all those hints off if you want to jump straight into it.

Oh, Thank God. Wouldn't want to sit through more tutorial quest been a veteran of the series.

While I love Monster Hunter I can't get into the handheld. Will stick to Ultimate (then swap once 4Ultimate comes out hehe) until Monster Hunter Online comes out for the PC. 

They have gotten nice throughout the years. I started playing MH since the ps2 era. It was a lot harder to know what you were doing. Everything was on the go learning. They have some more tutorials and training so its a lot easier for new people to get into.

I recommend this game then the previous ones to jump on the mh  train.

@wade Don't hold your breath for a MH PC. Capcom Japan hold this series to their chest. We should be glad we get anything out here. Even then it's like a year later or more

Yeah, this is my first MH as well, and I have to say that I did a lot of research to get ready because I had been told how notoriously bad the games are at setting new players in. Thankfully, this one does seem to try. It's not the best, but it does a decent job at getting the basics through, and I have to say that I thoroughly enjoy it now that I am finally hitting a good stride in the game. I have a huge interest now in playing the previous games, after I get through a few hundred more hours of MH4U, of course. 

Yeah, this is my first MH as well, and I have to say that I did a lot of research to get ready because I had been told how notoriously bad the games are at setting new players in. Thankfully, this one does seem to try. It's not the best, but it does a decent job at getting the basics through, and I have to say that I thoroughly enjoy it now that I am finally hitting a good stride in the game. I have a huge interest now in playing the previous games, after I get through a few hundred more hours of MH4U, of course. 

If you want to play the previous games just play Monster Hunter Freedom Unite for the PSP

Monster Hunter , MHG, MH2 and MH2g make up Unite (PSP)

Monster Hunter tri , Portable 3rd make up 3 ultimate (wii u/3ds)

While I love Monster Hunter I can't get into the handheld. Will stick to Ultimate (then swap once 4Ultimate comes out hehe) until Monster Hunter Online comes out for the PC. 

its is varry unlikly that game will ever make it over hear thow the fanbase is growing in the west I dont think its big enought to saport MH online pluse MH online was not develuped by the same team as the main serires it is a outsorced game