• Welcome to the Angry Joe Show Army!

Join our community of gamers passionate about our community and our hobby! Whether it's playing, discussing, or watching games, regardless of platform, genre, or location, we have a place for you, always!

• PS4 Forum

The AJSA Playstation 4 Division: Game Nights and More!

The AJSA is on Playstation 4! Join us for weekly Game Nights with a selection of the best games the PS4 has to offer!

• XBO Forum

The AJSA Xbox One Division: We Got You Covered!

The AJSA Xbox One Division is ready to connect with you on XBox Live with a ton of events for the best Xbox games!

• News Archive

The Best News from the Best Sites, Every Week.

The AJSA News Collection Team is hard at work condensing a week's worth of news into one giant-sze digest for you to chew on and discuss! Links to source articles are always provided!

• More Info

The AJSA Expeditionary Force: Deploying to Play the Best PC Games!

The elite vanguard of the AJSA, the Expeditionary Force (EF) chooses a new PC game every week! Join us for weekly events and help decide if the game has a future in the AJSA.

• The Team

Streaming Now: The AJSA Stream Team

Joe can't stream every game, but our talented AJSA Stream Team covers a wide variety of games and personalities! Check them out, and show them some AJSA Love!

• The Tube

The AJSA Community YouTube Channel

Featuring news, gameplay clips, and more from the community! The Community is a chance to showcase the best moments in AJSA Gaming!

Legolas_Katarn

Game systems discussion

7 posts in this topic

What have you played recently or what books have you read and what do you think of the system that the game uses? Or what do you think of the systems that someone else has talked about?

I've been playing Fantasy Flight's Star Wars Age of Rebellion (which is the same as Edge of the Empire with one main difference), it's nice to have a more simple system after playing Shadowrun 5th Edition.

SWA02_Book_Left_450px.png

Going over some of the good points of the system, like I said above it is pretty simple to learn or to teach people. I like the dice results that the system uses because it allows you to succeed poorly or to fail well. For example, maybe you climbed and jumped over a wall but injured yourself when you jumped off or missed a shot but came close enough that you effected their aim when they fire back. Succeeding or failing well also allows you to add to the scene or story by describing something that happens.

Edge of the Empire uses an Obligation mechanic where every session your GM rolls against your groups obligation to see if one of the character's backgrounds plays a role (maybe you owe money, owe a favor, or are trying to help someone). Age of Rebellion replaces Obligation with Duty which is going to effect your standing in the Rebellion, what kind of equipment you get, what kind of people you might meet and what they think of you. The nice thing about the duty mechanic is that each character chooses one (or possibly two) different ways that they can raise their duty. Your character might be focused on combat victory, obtaining assets for the rebellion, gaining new recruits, counter intelligence, political support, space superiority, etc. It gives the GM ideas about the kind of things that your characters are likely to be doing and shows everyone that you can have a very different kind of campaign than space and ground battles against the Empire, which is probably the first image people have when they think of the game (kind of like Dungeons and Dragons, fuck the dungeons and the dragons, do something more interesting).

The final thing that I've noticed that I like about the system is that it's pretty easy to learn new skills, even skills that aren't part of your class/job/race don't cost much more experience, and it isn't very expensive to take up a second career or specialization path in your career. That combined with ability stats not necessarily being that much higher than one another makes it easier than a lot of games to specialize in multiple kinds of skills.

I haven't played it for that long but I haven't found any real negatives yet.

DoctorEvil likes this

The odd thing I find about the Fantasy Flight Star Wars games is their lack of a Digital PDF version.  I get that they have unique dice they sell with the game that are needed to play, but it seems like they are cutting themselves out of a very big market of people who could convert the game into a digital system like Roll20.

The odd thing I find about the Fantasy Flight Star Wars games is their lack of a Digital PDF version.  I get that they have unique dice they sell with the game that are needed to play, but it seems like they are cutting themselves out of a very big market of people who could convert the game into a digital system like Roll20.

The thing I heard some time ago was that the licensing agreement that Fantasy Flight had with LucasBooks was an agreement where they could make books but they can't make anything digital because that has to do with LucasArts.

but it seems like they are cutting themselves out of a very big market of people who could convert the game into a digital system like Roll20.

I was playing it in roll20. Someone with mentor status can create new dice rolls, so we were able to use their dice system with the names and correct images.

I love pen/paper rpgs but i havent played any for over 10 years so yeah =(. Even then the ones I played arent going to raise any eyebrows, d&d and macross. Played some other one but I didnt like it. I also tried playing paladium once but the GM made it stupid, where I wasnt allowed to make my own character, I had to be a squire who didnt even have his own weapon, while the guy sitting next to me was some demigod that trivialized anything with stupid op hocus pocus, fun.

How many games use a pool system? Pool as in, X number of D6s. I've been working on a game for a few months now, and I'm really only familiar with white wolf  storytelling and the D&D System, as I've only been playing off and on for about a year now, and I played for a few months several years ago. I know I lack much experience in this field, but I've got this little pet project called Manastorm that's core mechanic is 3 D6s for each player, and you use a minimum of 1, but a max of 3 for each ability/attack/action you take/use. It's FAR from completion and the files I have them saved in for reference (I put them on google drive so can look at the rules on my droid) are a TOTAL convoluted mess, but I can actually run the game with little issue.

I just wanted to know what games are out there from my fellow Angry Army members, and where these games' faults lie. If anyone would like to get back to me with a list, I can do the research myself. (I know of some popular games, but I've only got good experience with D&D just fyi)

I believe the first two additions of Shadowrun used a dice pool. You had a pool of magic or dodge dice that you could add to number of dice you would usually roll, those games also used exploding dice where anytime a six was rolled you rolled the dice again and kept adding to it's value, certain actions might have required you to roll higher than a 6 to succeed. There are certain times in Shadowrun or other games where you can split your dice pool for things like multiple attacks.

I read a lot of RPG books, but rarely actually get the chance to play.

I've mostly played Fantasy Flight Warhammer 40K games. Quite fun and simple to play in my eyes (d100/d% system) and there's a book for every aspect of the Imperium you'd want. Inquisition in Dark Heresy, Spaceship Exploration/combat in Rogue Trader, Space Marine OPness in Deathwatch, Heretical activity in Black Crusade and Imperial Guard in Only War.

Also been looking at Shadowrun, but I haven't managed to get a game in with anyone. The rules are a long read.

And Pathfinder/DnD, of course  :P