• Welcome to the Angry Joe Show Army!

Join our community of gamers passionate about our community and our hobby! Whether it's playing, discussing, or watching games, regardless of platform, genre, or location, we have a place for you, always!

• PS4 Forum

The AJSA Playstation 4 Division: Game Nights and More!

The AJSA is on Playstation 4! Join us for weekly Game Nights with a selection of the best games the PS4 has to offer!

• XBO Forum

The AJSA Xbox One Division: We Got You Covered!

The AJSA Xbox One Division is ready to connect with you on XBox Live with a ton of events for the best Xbox games!

• News Archive

The Best News from the Best Sites, Every Week.

The AJSA News Collection Team is hard at work condensing a week's worth of news into one giant-sze digest for you to chew on and discuss! Links to source articles are always provided!

• More Info

The AJSA Expeditionary Force: Deploying to Play the Best PC Games!

The elite vanguard of the AJSA, the Expeditionary Force (EF) chooses a new PC game every week! Join us for weekly events and help decide if the game has a future in the AJSA.

• The Team

Streaming Now: The AJSA Stream Team

Joe can't stream every game, but our talented AJSA Stream Team covers a wide variety of games and personalities! Check them out, and show them some AJSA Love!

• The Tube

The AJSA Community YouTube Channel

Featuring news, gameplay clips, and more from the community! The Community is a chance to showcase the best moments in AJSA Gaming!

thedukeofzill

Square-enix revival titles.

16 posts in this topic

Looks like it was reported that Square is going to allow indie developers the ability to pitch ideas for some of their old IPs, through crowed funding events. Some titles include: Gex, Fear Effect, and Anachronox. Square, of course, will take a large cut of the proceeds but, will still allow other companies to develop some of their older titles. This is some strange news. For one, I know no one really cried to Square saying "We want a new Gex title!" Haha, that may not be necessarily true but, the fact remains these titles haven't seen the light of day in over 10 years. I'm hoping this could be the start of Square letting other companies play around with their IP's that are no longer in use. This COULD mean that, in the future, we may be able to see 3rd party remakes or sequels to titles like Chrono Trigger. I seriously doubt it anytime soon (since Square is sitting on these titles for future profit for themselves i'm sure.) But, at least there is a glimmer of hope that some of their older beloved titles could see the light of day again. 

One other thing that is funny. Square's response to this ordeal about other titles being added to the list, is "Start with those and see what the response is like." WOW, does Square not know that if they re-released some of their older titles with updated graphics or even just flat out remade, It would be like printing money for them? Well, I hope this idea takes off for them so they stop sitting on the titles we WANT and start thinking about development. 

Let's get one important piece of business out of the way;

A FULL ON RE-MAKE OF FFVII IS NOT GONNA HAPPEN!

Now that's cleared up, this thread can continue.

It's hard to tell what this is ultimately gonna bring, but I'm gonna remain optimistic. So as square doesn't milk these Indies to badly a d price the games fairly this could be a win for everyone.

thedukeofzill likes this

Let's get one important piece of business out of the way;

A FULL ON RE-MAKE OF FFVII IS NOT GONNA HAPPEN!

Now that's cleared up, this thread can continue.

It's hard to tell what this is ultimately gonna bring, but I'm gonna remain optimistic. So as square doesn't milk these Indies to badly a d price the games fairly this could be a win for everyone.

That's why I said NOTHING about FF7. I was mainly talking about other IP's they've had int he past not surrounded around Final Fantasy. Final Fantasy will NEVER be published by anyone outside of Square, unless they go under that badly in the future. But, some of these older titles would be pretty awesome I think. I would love to see another Crono Trigger, totally love it. Or Saga Frontier! That was Square wasn't it? 

Shagger likes this

That's why I said NOTHING about FF7. I was mainly talking about other IP's they've had int he past not surrounded around Final Fantasy. Final Fantasy will NEVER be published by anyone outside of Square, unless they go under that badly in the future. But, some of these older titles would be pretty awesome I think. I would love to see another Crono Trigger, totally love it. Or Saga Frontier! That was Square wasn't it?

Both of those good choices. If you look in square's more obscure annuals there is some excellent games. Would love to see some of them come back.

thedukeofzill likes this

Both of those good choices. If you look in square's more obscure annuals there is some excellent games. Would love to see some of them come back.

I totally agree. Square has made some awesome titles outside of FF that don't even get acknowledged. I think this plan could work out, I just wish Square would be more sparing on the titles they have NO plans of using anymore. Why sit on classic titles when they could just sell the rights to somebody else who has the time and want to develop them. Look at that fan re-mastery of crono trigger that was happening not to long ago. Of course, Square brought the ban-hammer down on it, but what they should have done was give that guy a friggin job and have him develop the title for them. 

The Bouncer, totally forgot about that one. There are a ton of awesome Square games I would love to see in this program. Anyone remember Einhinder? 

I wouldnt even mind a new Vagrant story

I wouldnt even mind a new Vagrant story

Oh yes. I loved that game.

There seem to be a lot of titles that can be utilized with this program. I think this is a great move for Square. I understand, they can't really develop all of these titles on their own, since there wouldn't be enough money or people to work on them. But, I've been saying it for a while; If you don't want to work on some of these older titles, at least let other developers do it at a cost. 

I might be the only one but hell yeah I want a new Gex! B-)

Vagrant story would definitely be worth looking into. Einhander in my opinion, could be another. It was the last side scrolling shooter I could remember playing and I enjoyed it and its soundtrack very much. Perhaps with some fresh ideas they could turn out a great sequel of sorts. 

I'd like to see the mana series continued in the same spirit that we were left off with in SD3 and Legend of mana.. the newer ones? just pretend they never happened. If they wanna evolve the mana series somehow, they should get inspiration from Ys IMO.

Did someone say The Bouncer? I haven't played that in ages ::looks at dusty ps2 game on shelf:: Good times indeed. I'm looking forward to quite a few of the revivals of which I hope are done well. Nothing worse then a revival done poorly. Crushes the nostalgic feels.

Is that mean maybe we have some hope to see a new sequel of dragon quest or supreme commander ? Or finally a good story of drakenguard?

As someone who hasn't played Fear Effect, I wish this means that both the first and second game ends up on PSN and XBL for all to enjoy.