• Welcome to the Angry Joe Show Army!

Join our community of gamers passionate about our community and our hobby! Whether it's playing, discussing, or watching games, regardless of platform, genre, or location, we have a place for you, always!

• PS4 Forum

The AJSA Playstation 4 Division: Game Nights and More!

The AJSA is on Playstation 4! Join us for weekly Game Nights with a selection of the best games the PS4 has to offer!

• XBO Forum

The AJSA Xbox One Division: We Got You Covered!

The AJSA Xbox One Division is ready to connect with you on XBox Live with a ton of events for the best Xbox games!

• News Archive

The Best News from the Best Sites, Every Week.

The AJSA News Collection Team is hard at work condensing a week's worth of news into one giant-sze digest for you to chew on and discuss! Links to source articles are always provided!

• More Info

The AJSA Expeditionary Force: Deploying to Play the Best PC Games!

The elite vanguard of the AJSA, the Expeditionary Force (EF) chooses a new PC game every week! Join us for weekly events and help decide if the game has a future in the AJSA.

• The Team

Streaming Now: The AJSA Stream Team

Joe can't stream every game, but our talented AJSA Stream Team covers a wide variety of games and personalities! Check them out, and show them some AJSA Love!

• The Tube

The AJSA Community YouTube Channel

Featuring news, gameplay clips, and more from the community! The Community is a chance to showcase the best moments in AJSA Gaming!

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
thedukeofzill

Peter Molyneux does it again >.>

17 posts in this topic

So, recently Rock, paper, shotgun (I know, we don't really like them here lol.) Did an interview with Peter Molyneux-creature of such titles as: Black and white, Fable, and Populous. This interview was conducted with the idea of "calling Molyneux out on his lies." As we all know, Molyneux is notorious for false promises, and delayed release dates due to bad planning, most notably was the situation surrounding Fable 1, where he made SO many outlandish promises about game features and release time frames that were just impossible to keep. Even his development staff spoke to the general public explaining "We have no idea how we are going to make these features work in our game." Time and time again Molyneux has promised game play features, and came back months later detailing how these claims were "impossible to reach" and that he is "sorry" for making ridiculous promises. But, he would announce these statements in the most absurd ways, by blaming time frames or development hic-ups along the way. NOT to mention his tastless statements surrounding his OWN games, telling people to "skip Fable 1, we didn't put all the features we wanted in there, BUT FABLE 2 WILL! BUY THAT ONE." 

Since all of these scandals have come to light, Molyneux is up to it again with his title Godus. I know this is old news, but for the sake of people who don't know, it goes like this: Molyneux went to Kickstarter a few years back asking for half a million pounds of development money to create his new work; Godus. He claimed to the public that the cost would go to creating this game...with a 7 MONTH time frame; once again slinging  unrealistic release date promises, and to public backers this time no less. When the game was released in 2013 (finally.) The PC version was riddled with bugs and broken game play features...again. 

Jim Sterling did a very insightful video on the whole situation, taking a stance of some what defending Molyneux, but also saying he kind of deserved this barrage of hardball questions from Rock, Paper, Shotgun. I agree with Jim, Molyneux has created some amazing titles, and by all means is a "talented" man. But these public displays of deceit and lame excuses for mistakes has really made him completely unreliable as a developer. You can read the RPS interview here:  

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2015/02/13/peter-molyneux-interview-godus-reputation-kickstarter/

It covers a lot more than just this situation with Godus. It's an interesting read, take it in stride though, RPS has been known for their one-sided bashing of workers and developers in the industry. Also, you can check out Jim Sterling's video here: 

Tell me what you guys think of this situation, if you have any thoughts at all on it. 

I wish it was just a case of vision outclassing reality, a pity that does not seem to be the case :/

Am i misunderstanding something here, or is your "did it again" referring to the "old news" that is godus?

Not that Im defendi g him. I thought his claims were bulldung since before fable was out.

thedukeofzill likes this

Ya, I was preoccupied while making the headline LOL, please disregard haha, but it was mostly stating he was at it again with his excuses during the interview. 

But, aside from the title, I was just wondering what people though of him. I have enjoyed his games in the past. I loved Black and white. But man, I can't believe a word out of this guys mouth. 

I liked populous and theme park, didnt really play his newer games, but as soon as. I heard about his responsibilities with fable I knew to distrust the guy. People talk about how gaming communities are getting worse and such all the time, but never in my life as a gamer was my faith in gaming-kind as low as it was when i had to deal with everyone being a brainwashed ZOMBIE parroting that fable was going to utterly be the ultimate game. Heaven in software, a lifetime of playability of pure perfection amd bliss. Divorce your real life spouse in favor of your in-game romance! Sell all your games! Fable is all you will need, etc.

I still remember the day I spoke to my programming partner in school, and I said "gee, I just realized i havent heard anyone rave about that fable game for all week!", at which point he told me "cuz it came out". Honest go god I didnt know. But I still derive satisfaction from knowing everyone's hype that made destiny's look like a pebble on the road was finally found to be BS by all those fools.

I mean it wasnt that they were looking forward to the game. They actually took it PERSONALLY ehen I showed the slightest skepticism towards their outrageous claims!

Anyway, i liked populous, and when. I saw godus, I still wasnt aware of who peter was, but I was excited a similar game was finally being made. I didnt buy it yet from early access however because the features implimented seemed to be lacking still. Anyway I eventually watched a video showcasing the current version, and it featured fucking MOBILE GAME mechanics with real life timers on some of the most basic functions like collecting resources from your people.

So yeah I accepted that godus was bullshit, and that was before I knew how high a budget they were asking for. I mean the game's art and fidelity are pretty effing basic, there is no need for such a huge budget. Then I hear about this peter guy being involved with both that and fable? Good grief.

thedukeofzill and rairoken16 like this

Tis true. This guys shit-list of lies and scandal is a mile long. I remember when I first heard of Fable, I won't lie...I was stoked. Of course the gaming community had no other way to think about it than pure joy and excitement. The game-play themes and mechanics this guy spouted sounded WAY too good to be true...and it totally was. But, having Microsoft back your game, and after the colossal hit of Halo Microsoft landed with Bungie, It was hard NOT to believe what this guy was saying. When it released, It was the biggest let-down I've had in my years of gaming. Never have I been so disappointed by a release than by Fable. I do remember thinking it was kind of odd that a developer that was well known for making "God-sim" type games was crossing over into the action adventure RPG realm. Man I should have believed my gut on that one. But this guy is a total liar. The media initially played it off as "oh crazy Peter Molyneux is at it again." Instead of calling him out on his BS to begin with. This crap went on for many years, over and over the same thing. This guy needs to stop talking to the press about his releases. Not only because of the lies he feeds the consumer, but also because of the position he puts his development team in. Think of the coders, they are in the middle of coding something then all of a sudden "hey guys, we are doing this now. Better get on it because I told the fans it was included." Such crap. 

Yeah, from what I know game programmers and designers already have a bit of a disgruntled relationship more often than not. Typically due to game designers not really having any understanding o which tasks require a lot o work or otherwise. Sound/music crew often get screwed the hardest though, typically being left to the last minute. Im thinking the sound thing is outdated though because Im seeing kore and more games being developed offering soundtracks as bonus material and credits goin to music composers on the websites instead of ending credits.

I can't believe that people would give him money on Kickstarter, after the Fable series I don't see how anyone could possible trust anything he says, and without a publisher to answer to it seems even more likely they would waste all their money without even completing anything. I'm constantly amazed at how little gamers pay attention to any aspect of the games industry or how easily they can be mislead by trailers and empty promises.

Atleast he sets his hopes high on a game rather then just settle for the bare minimum just to make quick cash.

Ok none of them come to fruition on time but still HE HAD A DREAM!!

Atleast he sets his hopes high on a game rather then just settle for the bare minimum just to make quick cash.

Ok none of them come to fruition on time but still HE HAD A DREAM!!

LOL It is true the man had a dream, I'll give you that. But this does go to show you how little people do pay attention as Legolas said. Molyneux was the master of the hype machine; I just don't understand how someone could come out and just outright lie about their hype though. It's happened SO many times with this guy as well. Talk about putting yourself out of business pretty much. This isn't a case of the fan base being "too harsh" and running someone out of the business, like some people claim with Phil Fish (not saying I agree with that BTW.) This is straight up his own fault, and on top of it all, Molyneux will make every excuse in the book for not making his deadlines or game functionality promises. During this interview with RPS one could say he was pointing fingers at Kickstarter for the reason why he didn't ask for enough money for Godus in the beginning. HOW is this, in any way shape or form, Kickstarter's fault? I don't think we will see much more from Molyneux in the future. 

I think Black and White was the last game I bought made by this guy, but then he went bug shagging crazy. I miss Dungeon Keeper...

thedukeofzill likes this

Dungeon keeper was amazing. I bought Fable 1 purely because of the hype. I wasn't savvy enough in the ways of the industry to realize this guy couldn't possible keep all the promises he was spouting. Now I'm a total skeptic. I still worry about Star Citizen with all the promises they have made. 

Personally, as I look at his list of Games he help bring into this world. I never played a single one. Oh okay, if you count being at a friends place when your young and trying new things (no homo). I tried Fable for about an hour. Didn't personally like it. When it comes down to it, and I know he made some of many peoples favorite or beloved games. But the Peter I knew was the same Peter we all seen recently. The over promising, never delivering Peter. I watched friends who loved Fable each time get more down with each next installment. I saw that Milo tech demo he had for the Kinect when it was first being shown. Remember Milo? Remember how that was a thin- oh ya. When Godus finally got announced and it was Kickstarter it shocked me people threw at him money. I guess as a last ditch effort? Maybe, just maybe he'll deliver this time?

Look, I can understand entrusting yourself to a single entity in this industry. I believe we have all been down that road. I say that in past tense, because it usually ends the same way. Pain. I loved Square-Enix, I loved Final Fantasy. I trust them no matter what, there was no way they could make a bad Final Fantasy game. Than there was Final Fantasy 13. Than Final Fantasy 13-2, and thank god there was Final Fantasy Lightning Returns (aka 13-3). I can understand the pain alot of people are having with Peter's newest cycle over Godus. I can understand the backers being pissed off.

When it comes down to it, can Peter make some great games? Ya, I think he can if he really tried. But he has a problem, and like he said he is flawed. But I wanted to spin this a bit, and please don't think I am being above anyone. believe me, this piles me in with everyone when I say this. You are flawed, you have gave this man you 'trust' money even when he has 'betrayed' you. You kept giving Peter money, like I gave Square-Enix money. Why would they change? He got away with it already nearly 4 times before Godus?

You know it's funny. Peter started this campaign for Godus promising to change a life. In away he has lied there and hopefully changed everyone's life. Hopefully changing it so they understand the relationship as a consumer they share with Peter. And, it's sad to say. One special person got his life changed more than anyone else. He was promised even more than anyone who backed that game. Changed him alright. And as much as everyone here wants to get their two cents off, maybe even go hound Peter down. That wont change anything. That wont change how Godus is, it wont change how Peter is, it wont change what the boy dealt with.

But learning from mistakes, will change everything.

It teaches you that you can plant an acorn.

That one day, when you return that acorn will be a tree.

If you don't learn? Well, nothing will grow.

It'll just be an acorn.

giphy.gif

I enjoyed Black & White 1 and 2, Fable and Fable 2. But I didn't really know of any of the promises he made for the first three games. Despite knowing what he said was supposed to be in Fable 2, I had an ok time with it. Fable 3 didn't really let me down that much, it just felt more like an expansion to Fable 2.

Please stop feeding this guy (Moly) attention..

Peter Molyneux IS a pathological liar. He is completely okay with saying whatever he wants without thinking about whether it's true or not. When people calls him out he plays the victim and act like everyone is ganging up on him. News flash, people have to right to call you out because they gave you money for a product you lied about.

Poor Peter. I always said he must go to his retreat. Like comon Peter , you got your moment of glory. Now stop to bring down your reputation and take a breaks.