• Welcome to the Angry Joe Show Army!

Join our community of gamers passionate about our community and our hobby! Whether it's playing, discussing, or watching games, regardless of platform, genre, or location, we have a place for you, always!

• PS4 Forum

The AJSA Playstation 4 Division: Game Nights and More!

The AJSA is on Playstation 4! Join us for weekly Game Nights with a selection of the best games the PS4 has to offer!

• XBO Forum

The AJSA Xbox One Division: We Got You Covered!

The AJSA Xbox One Division is ready to connect with you on XBox Live with a ton of events for the best Xbox games!

• News Archive

The Best News from the Best Sites, Every Week.

The AJSA News Collection Team is hard at work condensing a week's worth of news into one giant-sze digest for you to chew on and discuss! Links to source articles are always provided!

• More Info

The AJSA Expeditionary Force: Deploying to Play the Best PC Games!

The elite vanguard of the AJSA, the Expeditionary Force (EF) chooses a new PC game every week! Join us for weekly events and help decide if the game has a future in the AJSA.

• The Team

Streaming Now: The AJSA Stream Team

Joe can't stream every game, but our talented AJSA Stream Team covers a wide variety of games and personalities! Check them out, and show them some AJSA Love!

• The Tube

The AJSA Community YouTube Channel

Featuring news, gameplay clips, and more from the community! The Community is a chance to showcase the best moments in AJSA Gaming!

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Bullslayer

Shade (unconfirmed title)

10 posts in this topic

Before I do my game brief, I am aware that there is a dev log subforum for this but it won't let me post it there. Ok, that being said, I am very much still a noob when it comes to game development, as a matter of fact this game i am working on will be the first game i have ever planned on publishing (took 4-5 years learning unity game engine and building up the courage to work on a publishable title).

Title: Shade (this is what i am calling it for now but its unconfirmed whether or not i can actually use that name)

Genre: Action Horror / FPS / comedy

Plot: Sci-fi game set in future where mankind has colonized different planets. Because the colonies are mostly ran by private corperations the united earthen government bio engineered special Dog like super soldiers called Shades to act as enforcers of specific colonization laws it laid down for companies to follow. As one of these soldiers the player is sent to investigate a mining colony that has gone dark after sending out a destress call. Turns out the colony was recently invaded by the planets local residents (Giant Alien Bedbugs...thats where the comedy part comes in). The Shade, Cyball and her partner and computer hacker Izzy must work quickly to save the surviving colonists and evac the sight. The company that owns the colony doesn't want word on the bugs getting out so of course they take their own measures to make sure you don't leave the planet. Been debating on having a rag tag group of mercs show up at some point but still debating that. 

AI: Im trying really hard to make NPCs be useful when they are with you rather than just follow around and the bugs use an AI script i wrote to resemble behaviors the Alien had in Alien Iso...yes i know that is kinda of a tall order for a noob dev to fill but i actually have that AI working on a basic level. Bugs will patrol areas randomly moving between set locations and will actively check if they can see you or not. Specific noises like the player shooting their gun will attract near by bugs attention and they will move to the sounds location to investigate. Shooting one with out it seeing you will cause it to stop in its tracks and wait to see if the player comes in range or not, I may remove this feature as it does create a conflict with their ability to hear and investigate sounds. Spawners are actual objects in the game that look like dirt piles, they will spawn more bugs if the the player makes too much noise next to them. Each area will spawn a random number of bugs from 1 up to 4 max at start. The Spawners then wait untill they "hear a noise" and role a chance to spawn a bug, each time this is done and a bug is not spawned it will increase the chance for the spawner to create a bug next time. Avoiding a spawner's area or simply being quite will cause the spawner chance to decrease gradually, basicly think of it as the more activity you do in an area the more attention the bugs collectively pay to that area as bug tunnels conduct sound quite nicely. This creates my own version of the whole "Noise brings the Alien" thing. 

I had issues trying to link photos from my Unity dev post so i'll just paste the link and see if that works. 

http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/shade-title-un-confirmed.293055/

GhostCurry likes this

Ty for the info Caius, i'm probably not going that far with the friendly Npc's as they just follow you around and hack terminals for you and that is only on certain areas. As far as the bugs go my main goal was to make them not completely predictable but in same sense not super chaotic like the alien was. Though i do plan on adding a function to the script that allows the bugs to suddenly double back to their previous location in an attempt to catch the player off guard, haven't quite decided how to go about that yet.

I did make some changes recently though, I felt like I was taking away from my game by not having some kind of basic inventory system so i added some things.

Players can now keep up a light store of med kits they can use to fully restore their health if they get in a bind and have low hp. This is because i noticed that its easier to loose alot of health now that the spawners can actively spawn bugs because you where to loud. Cyball regains hp after a while of not being in combat so that players aren't fighting to the next MedKit but the regain is slow.

I added Vent Clips to the game as well, anyone who played the first Mass Effect game will recognize this. Vent Clips are a way to cheat the cool down system I have working for the different projectile types the player can shoot with the riffle. Each type has a time period the player has to wait until they can fire an other shot. By Using a Vent Clip this will set the count down timer to zero allowing the player to shoot an other projectile sooner. The cool downs arn't that big but waiting 4 seconds to fire an other explosive shot because you missed your mark is plenty of time for bugs to do damage if there are a lot of them. They currently do 10 damage each at a rate of 5 seconds between attacks. Projectiles the player shoots don't currently do a set amount of damage but rather a range from min to max, this idea was suggested to me by a friend but i'm not sure how the player community as a whole feels about it and i personally have mixed feelings and will gladly change it in a heart beat if enough people raise issue. 

"from min to max" damage. I don't see how that would make the game more fun so I do not see any point in having it.

Neither do I really so I will  probably end up changing it, the friend that suggested it loves games like Borderlands where you get all the pretty #s popping up showing how much damage you did, I currently don't know how to work Unity's GUI to do that so the game gives the false impression sometimes that you aren't doing any damage at all and we all know from our leaders reviews that's a bad thing, even if I got the GUI working correctly I still don't feel have a damage range for projectiles fits this game well. Ended up thinking a lot about this last night.  It will be one of the things on today's list of to do along side getting Unity to save game data in a way players can't edit the file outside the game. I'm still green on saving data to xml files but there are some good tutorials out there so i'm going to give it a shot. There are some other things i need to work on as well. The nice thing about being apart of a player community like this is it is easier to find people who are willing to test stuff and more importantly provide constructive feed back, i'm hoping to have some sort of alpha build ready soon.

I finally have a simple alpha demo of my game available threw my dev post on Unity's Community Forums. If anyone is interested in trying it just click the link below, should take you to my post where the link to my Google share folder is...I'd post the folder link here directly but wasn't sure if that was ok or not.

http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/shade-title-un-confirmed.293055/

I've update my demo to the most current build of the game along with what i hope to be a working Mac version of the game (no official support for this as I do not own a Mac personally, A friend of my brother requested the demo for mac so its available). 

The link to the share folder is this if anyone wants to try either version: https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B5VfjpfirxYwfjVBZUs0SjRxbjBLaElOeWJzbDFLWEt2WXlIZjRuMDRMSklhMEd4ZFV0ZFE&usp=sharing

Known issues so far:

1) Doors are current working off a simple script so they tend to open and close even if they are already open or closed

2) Some one has already reported to me the melee attack might be glitched and one shotting bugs when moving backwards

3) Due to the method i'm currently using to get bugs to spot the player there is a high chance they can move right by you and not see you

4) There is water in the Generator Area that gets moved down as part of the puzzle, problem is it has a trigger collider that tells the player 
they are in water so that water splash noises get played instead of regular walking noises, when the water drains this trigger doesn't always drop down enough to stop the water noises. 

5) Bugs spawn randomly each time a scene or "Level" loads, how ever right now there seems to be a high chance of them not spawning at all....I need to fix that as levels loading constantly with no enemies are boring.

I'm able to play threw the demo in 11 minutes, I'm curious how long it takes others, it will give me an idea of how much content i have currently in the game.

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B5VfjpfirxYwfjVBZUs0SjRxbjBLaElOeWJzbDFLWEt2WXlIZjRuMDRMSklhMEd4ZFV0ZFE&usp=sharing

I decided this will be the last time I update my demo folders, I want to focus on finishing the game I probably won't do anything with this post for a while. I'm hoping to have the darn thing done by end of next month but "best laid plans" and all that shanazz, can't promise something won't come up to delay it, after all, it is only me working on this though i feel like i've done ok so far.

GhostCurry likes this

I had to put this project on hold for a while so nothing new has come up, ive recently considered returning to working on this but i feel that the current build of the game just didn't draw enough attention to merit continuing where i left off so im going to be doing a complete tear down and rebuild off this idea and see where it goes from there.

the origonal idea was to have a game where the main character was some werewolf resembling creature either previously human or bio-engineered turned do gooder or hero. I thought making it futuristic and spacey might make the game appeal more but i didn't get enough attention with that so i might do a modern theme idk. I have to hash things out so its going to take some time.