• Welcome to the Angry Joe Show Army!

Join our community of gamers passionate about our community and our hobby! Whether it's playing, discussing, or watching games, regardless of platform, genre, or location, we have a place for you, always!

• PS4 Forum

The AJSA Playstation 4 Division: Game Nights and More!

The AJSA is on Playstation 4! Join us for weekly Game Nights with a selection of the best games the PS4 has to offer!

• XBO Forum

The AJSA Xbox One Division: We Got You Covered!

The AJSA Xbox One Division is ready to connect with you on XBox Live with a ton of events for the best Xbox games!

• News Archive

The Best News from the Best Sites, Every Week.

The AJSA News Collection Team is hard at work condensing a week's worth of news into one giant-sze digest for you to chew on and discuss! Links to source articles are always provided!

• More Info

The AJSA Expeditionary Force: Deploying to Play the Best PC Games!

The elite vanguard of the AJSA, the Expeditionary Force (EF) chooses a new PC game every week! Join us for weekly events and help decide if the game has a future in the AJSA.

• The Team

Streaming Now: The AJSA Stream Team

Joe can't stream every game, but our talented AJSA Stream Team covers a wide variety of games and personalities! Check them out, and show them some AJSA Love!

• The Tube

The AJSA Community YouTube Channel

Featuring news, gameplay clips, and more from the community! The Community is a chance to showcase the best moments in AJSA Gaming!

Jitterdoomer

I missed unlocking anything in the game...

16 posts in this topic

Look how disastrous the gaming industry has right now, instead of unlocking some stuff for free after you met those outcomes or beating the game, instead you just have to pay single amount of money to unlock anything in the game in a form of DLC or microtransactions. How depressing is this gaming generation right now?

7thFrost likes this

I miss it too.

Loved having to achieve something, like beating the game on a high difficulty or things like that and getting a costume/weapon etc....

Now most of it is just behind a paywall. I understand having extra things added as DLC but at least have something meaningful you can unlock yourself.

It just adds flavor to the game. 

I always think of RE 4 among others when talking about this, that game had some really great unlockables, there's 2 alternate costumes, new cool weapons that you had to work for, it was great.

To be honest I don't think this went away all together - but I think it has changed.

Batman Arkham Origins had New Game Plus and I Am the Night modes which were cool unlocks as well as unlocking challenge maps and arenas.

Even Call of Duty rewards players with guns sights grenade types etc for continually playing.

There have been changes though-it's rare to unlock multiplayer maps these days - but I think part of that is because games are usually played online anyway it wouldn't be terribly practical anymore.

Uplay kinda let's you unlock stuff after playing games. For example, I got my desktop wallpaper from a Uplay reward. I know what you mean though, I do miss that sense of accomplishment.

This concept hasn't gone away as much as you think just look at any game made by companies that aren't money grubbing, like Bayonetta, Metal Gear Solid and Rising tons of games let you unlock stuff after beating on higher difficulties or by finding a certain amount of objects.

Yes the idea of doing challenges to get something at the end of a game are now far and few inbetween but they are still there like for example Dark Souls 2 had two of them beating the game without dying and beating the game without resting at a bonfires.

Oh yea.

Let's pretend Binding of Issac/Magicite/Risk of Rain/FTL don't exist...

Look how disastrous the gaming industry has right now, instead of unlocking some stuff for free after you met those outcomes or beating the game, instead you just have to pay single amount of money to unlock anything in the game in a form of DLC or microtransactions. How depressing is this gaming generation right now?

not depressing at all. it's very simple... don't play those games. play games that don't have those kind of things in them. and no, don't say "there aren't any of those kind of games anymore". yes there are. look, research.

Seph likes this

Pretty sure killer instinct has a lot of unlockables like 4 skins per character, 9 cosmetic items per character, you can unlock a fighter variant called shadow jago that i believe has an altered move set, as well as his unique stage. Thats not including profile unlocks like emblems, backgrounds or quotes.

Sure there are also other unlockables you can pay for like the "classic" looks of all the characters, but theres more than enough in-game to keep you satisfied.

Jitterdoomer likes this

Oh yea.

Let's pretend Binding of Issac/Magicite/Risk of Rain/FTL don't exist...

Nothing exist except for generic AAA releases, nothing, everything is awful and will never be the same

not depressing at all. it's very simple... don't play those games. play games that don't have those kind of things in them. and no, don't say "there aren't any of those kind of games anymore". yes there are. look, research.

People will still play them cause they are 'popular' and 'other friends play them'

People will still play them cause they are 'popular' and 'other friends play them'

quite true. but people also have a choice. i personally dont see the point complaining about games like this when all you simply need to do is not play them. there's plenty of other games to fit the OPs tastes - just ignore the bad ones and move on. complaining resolves nothing.

Seph likes this

This is why I never buy DLC that isn't a new mission or something (unless it comes packaged in a bundle, such as all the weapons and clothing in the Saints Row 4 GOTC edition)

Fridge, you have been reading my mind quite a bit lately. To the point where I can't even post anything that you havent already said : /

Fridge, you have been reading my mind quite a bit lately. To the point where I can't even post anything that you havent already said : /

ah ha!! does that mean you bought the wii U yet?  :D

I miss having a challenge more than unlockables, since that's what they used to mean to me. My mind immediately goes to the cheats for GoldenEye, running through levels over and over trying to get the perfect time (I probably could have done the Facility level with my eyes closed at one point).

Nowadays, unlockables are all about grinding. Get X number of kills with a weapon, use a character for X amount of time, perform X action Y times. And then you unlock some meaningless bauble like a weapon skin, or a costume, or a new color for an existing costume. I don't care about fluff like that, so I'm fine with it being DLC. I prefer it, actually, because then I can further support games I like, or just leave it alone if I feel the devs don't deserve the extra money.