• Welcome to the Angry Joe Show Army!

Join our community of gamers passionate about our community and our hobby! Whether it's playing, discussing, or watching games, regardless of platform, genre, or location, we have a place for you, always!

• PS4 Forum

The AJSA Playstation 4 Division: Game Nights and More!

The AJSA is on Playstation 4! Join us for weekly Game Nights with a selection of the best games the PS4 has to offer!

• XBO Forum

The AJSA Xbox One Division: We Got You Covered!

The AJSA Xbox One Division is ready to connect with you on XBox Live with a ton of events for the best Xbox games!

• News Archive

The Best News from the Best Sites, Every Week.

The AJSA News Collection Team is hard at work condensing a week's worth of news into one giant-sze digest for you to chew on and discuss! Links to source articles are always provided!

• More Info

The AJSA Expeditionary Force: Deploying to Play the Best PC Games!

The elite vanguard of the AJSA, the Expeditionary Force (EF) chooses a new PC game every week! Join us for weekly events and help decide if the game has a future in the AJSA.

• The Team

Streaming Now: The AJSA Stream Team

Joe can't stream every game, but our talented AJSA Stream Team covers a wide variety of games and personalities! Check them out, and show them some AJSA Love!

• The Tube

The AJSA Community YouTube Channel

Featuring news, gameplay clips, and more from the community! The Community is a chance to showcase the best moments in AJSA Gaming!

Laserrifle125

What if scenario: EA never existed

19 posts in this topic

Do you think that the industry would better without EA or not (I'm expecting a lot of "the world would have been a better place without EA")?

If I'm not mistaken EA helped open up the gaming industry back when Nintendo commanded the console market charging expensive license fees, royalties etc.... They asked for a better deal and Nintendo said "want a better deal? Make your own system" so EA carefully reverse engineered Nintendos console 'legally' and showed it off as close to Nintendos booth as they could, they got their deal.   

Commissar Elusive likes this

Sad to say tho but EA did release some great franchises and if there was no EA maybe we wouldn't have those games. 

But they later destroyed these franchises (the only two franchises that they didn't completely destroy are DA and ME)

But they later destroyed these franchises (the only two franchises that they didn't completely destroy are DA and ME)

Kind of true but some of those franchises are really iconic in gaming and who knows what would it be like if they never existed. And tbh Battlefield isn't that bad still, except some parts like bugs and crap.

I would describe EA as a nessesary evil in the gaming world. They brought some amazing franchises to the fold that would probably would'nt exsist. Sure thier business practices have been very anti consumer, but the sad truth is we need them.

Apex Spartan likes this

I'm a little curious about your fascination with "what if" questions. It should go without saying that the gaming industry would be vastly different if such entities in every thread you make didn't come into being. Speculating on how that may be could be anyone's guess.

I would describe EA as a nessesary evil in the gaming world. They brought some amazing franchises to the fold that would probably would'nt exsist. Sure thier business practices have been very anti consumer, but the sad truth is we need them.

Why do we need them ?  

Sure we needed them when they made good games a long time ago, but over the years they have shown their greedy side. 

honestly i think that they have stayed around too long. 

Why do we need them ?

Sure we needed them when they made good games a long time ago, but over the years they have shown their greedy side.

honestly i think that they have stayed around too long.

The EA that exists now is no different than the one we had 20 years ago in terms of greed. I would say they play it safe with the new concepts that they decide to publish now more than then, but they publish games that, for one reason or another, others wouldn't and were able to make them successful. That's why they have their hands on the rights to so many loved game franchises.

I'm not a fan of EA, far from it, but they gave me some of my favourite games over the years. If they published nothing but crap, nobody would even care enough to complain about their business practices.

Apex Spartan and Winnum like this

I'm not a fan of EA, far from it, but they gave me some of my favourite games over the years. If they published nothing but crap, nobody would even care enough to complain about their business practices.

This.

If EA wernt a thing we probably never would have had Bullfrog, or Westwood, or Maxis' Sims series. Without Bullfrog Peter Molyneux wouldn't have been successful enough to found Lionhead, therefore killing Fable. Dice wouldn't be making Battlefield the same way as it is now, and many other franchises may either not exist or be completely different. So I'd say EA is necessary for gaming history to have happened because back in those days they were the ones making the new genres of games a reality.

I think a lot of games that are worth playing despite EA's lack of ethics might not have been made.

That said, if EA wasn't the worst company in gaming, I'm sure another would step up to take that throne. Activision comes to mind, although Activision isn't quite as successful as EA, but they're around as dubious.

There would be no rivalry between CoD and Battlefield. It would only be CoD. So maybe that cornering the market would bring Activision more prominence?

It'd also make a lot of sports games a bit more accessible. Like Madden and MLB and whatever else EA Sports has been hogging.

Maxis had The Sims before EA bought it, but I don't think The Sims would be as well-funded without EA. We would probably STILL be waiting for Sims 2 (though it'd probably have more features than Sims 4).

If ea dosen't exist ... bioware would be again alive and free to make goods games without the pressure of ea .

If EA wernt a thing we probably never would have had Bullfrog, or Westwood, or Maxis' Sims series. Without Bullfrog Peter Molyneux wouldn't have been successful enough to found Lionhead, therefore killing Fable. Dice wouldn't be making Battlefield the same way as it is now, and many other franchises may either not exist or be completely different. So I'd say EA is necessary for gaming history to have happened because back in those days they were the ones making the new genres of games a reality.

Oh my god. You're joking, right? You've got to be joking.

EA isn't the reason those companies exist, it's the reason they died. Every single one of those companies was doing great until EA comes along and buys them out. Then suddenly, these companies with established and popular IPs seem to have a drop in quality, as if their normal budgets and time tables have been slashed in order to increase profits and sell games based on title recognition alone. And then a few years later, when the company no longer has a reputation, it's either closed or renamed.

There is a comically large list of smallish, but beloved, game studios that EA has bought and ruined over the years, I suggest you do a quick google search.

If EA never existed we wouldn't have C&C, System Shock 2 (probably butterflying Bioshock too), Mass Effect or Battlefield. On the bright side there might be more sports franchises outside EA's Iron Death Grip of Horror. Hell, those are just the easy ones- suffice to say we'd have a very different gaming landscape. Remember though, at least in this case: the more things change the more they stay the same. I'm guessing there would still a money-grubbing asshole company to take EA's shit-stained seat.

We'd have a Dungeon Keeper remake three times over and a Mercenaries 4 by now.

If EA never existed, Westwood would have gone bankrupt under Virgin Interactive's watch (and even if it didn't, Tiberian Sun would've been a Duke Nukem Forever). Not sure if Dungeon Keeper 2 would've been released as it was, but at least we'd have more of a glimpse at DK3 than the mere trailer from the DK2 CD. There'd be no crappy Origin and we wouldn't have anyone to pound except modern Ubisoft :P